New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

FF7R inspired me to put together an adventure where the Runners go blow up a research lab that is filled with various animal and awakened subjects. Some critters escape and then the runners pick up additional jobs tracking down and capturing some of the more valuable critters.

Where there any interesting critters you've seen in the books that you would have liked to go up against to catch?

For me, I think hunting one of those animal were critters that can assume a metahuman form would be fun. The critter tries to hide among people and do people things, and that could be a funny little hunt.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ettin in the Playground

Ooooo... so many! The Incubus is always fun: a land-octopus that looks like a sexy member of whatever gender the closest person in range is attracted to.

There are a lot of not-normal dogs that look normal.

The house cat that turns into a cheetah (at least it thinks it does, and fights as if it had) when threatened.

Maybe the Novapossum.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #873
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

How much experience do they have? Do you want them to be actual animals, or do you want to throw in that they're actually sentients that want to be free?

For me, I'd go with things infected with HMHVV. But if you want animals, what about the Wyrd Mantis? 2 meter long ambush hunters. If a bunch of them escaped, you might have some start hunting people in the local area, which drives bounties. Since they're insects, you could have a population explosion in short order.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

For sheer aggression and blood up the walls I like the Fenrir Wolf. For something a lot more subtle and nasty I'd go with the Blackberry Cat. Or maybe send them down into the sewers to have fun playing in the sewage with a few Afrancs (Paranormal Animals of Europe p 62, 18 and 10 respectively)
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

5. - Top - End - #875
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

In 4th Edition, can an Adept with Unarmed Combat/Killing Hands benefit from a Weapon Focus that's a ring, set of brass knuckles, or similar 'unarmed' item? I've looked all over the net without finding any consensus on yes/no.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2020-06-09 at 06:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #876

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In 4th Edition, can an Adept with Unarmed Combat/Killing Hands benefit from a Weapon Focus that's a ring, set of brass knuckles, or similar 'unarmed' item? I've looked all over the net without finding any consensus on yes/no.
    To my knowledge, the rules never say. Personally, I'd let it happen.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #877

It's impossible to start with a bonded focus though, right? Since you need Karma to bond to it?

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

2nd Edition, you spend Force Points on it, so yes you can. 4th Edition, I really have no idea.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    FF7R inspired me to put together an adventure where the Runners go blow up a research lab that is filled with various animal and awakened subjects. Some critters escape and then the runners pick up additional jobs tracking down and capturing some of the more valuable critters.

Where there any interesting critters you've seen in the books that you would have liked to go up against to catch?

For me, I think hunting one of those animal were critters that can assume a metahuman form would be fun. The critter tries to hide among people and do people things, and that could be a funny little hunt.
    Oh, nice set-up.

I'd probably make the PCs do the opposite of catching them, because it's way more trouble.

Something along the lines of:

- Here are some sapient critters. They're smart, they can look mostly metahuman, and they've been trained in ${LANGUAGE} by the lab techs, but they have no experience in the modern world.

- Security forces are looking for these critters. You must help them "act normal" for ${TIMESPAN} until the lockdown ends and you can get them to safety Mr. Johnson, outside the city.

"Multipass!"
    "Yes, honey, he knows it's a multipass."

... but with ears and a tail.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's impossible to start with a bonded focus though, right? Since you need Karma to bond to it?
    It's possible, you can use BP instead of karma to bind foci at character creation (or you just use the Karma Creation rules from Runner's Companion then you can obviously just use karma)

11. - Top - End - #881

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    It's possible, you can use BP instead of karma to bind foci at character creation (or you just use the Karma Creation rules from Runner's Companion then you can obviously just use karma)
    Can you cite a page for that for me? It'd be real helpful to know for certain.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Can you cite a page for that for me? It'd be real helpful to know for certain.
    In the original book, page 85, under "Foci". Page 87 in SR4A.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #883

Yeah sorry for not giving a source, but in my defense, it's one of the rare times when a rule in SR is exactly where it's supposed to be ;)

14. - Top - End - #884

Lots of great ideas. I'm definitely leaning towards paranormal animals. Intelligent ones are fun too. I'll consider the saving option as well instead of capture. Maybe do both over the course of a series of adventures and see which way the players prefer.

Been absent a bit cause my comlink died a horrible battery swelling death. :I I've never seen a decker have this issue.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #885

I was just blind, so I needed a seeing-eye post. Thanks!

(4e) New question - is there any Manatech, magical compound, or other gear-based method of temporarily seeing into the Astral Plane? My infiltrator Adept couldn't afford Astral Perception as a starting power, and Initiating to get it will take a while.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2020-06-11 at 05:58 PM.

16. - Top - End - #886

Didn't flipside/tempo (the drug from Ghost Cartels) allow you some kind of limited astral perception? It had some nasty long-term side effects, though...

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

Shade, Arsenal page 78. Lasts Essence +d6 hours then deals 10 stun unresisted. Availability 8R, cost ¥1000.

EDIT: Sorry, to be more specific, that's astral projection, which does the job but might not do it the way you want.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-06-11 at 07:15 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #888
    Firbolg in the Playground

I was just blind, so I needed a seeing-eye post. Thanks!

(4e) New question - is there any Manatech, magical compound, or other gear-based method of temporarily seeing into the Astral Plane? My infiltrator Adept couldn't afford Astral Perception as a starting power, and Initiating to get it will take a while.
    Have you considered Deepweed on page 249 of the core rulebook?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

19. - Top - End - #889

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Have you considered Deepweed on page 249 of the core rulebook?
    Um....page 249 of my core book is the start of a story called Hat Trick. But I found it on P257. Thanks again.

20. - Top - End - #890

Always remember that there are two very different versions of the SR4 core book, the old one and the 20th Anniversary Edition

21. - Top - End - #891

So, I have roughed out a Savage Worlds conversion of Shadowrun, if anyone is interested.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...Savage-Worlds)
    The Cranky Gamer

22. - Top - End - #892

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, I have roughed out a Savage Worlds conversion of Shadowrun, if anyone is interested.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...Savage-Worlds)
    I'm going to pass this along to a friend who is big on the Savage World system. It does look neat.

I don't have the books, but I have Starfinder and it works pretty well so far to run a Shadowrun flavored campaign. With starship rules, might even go Cowboy Bebop in the future with the idea.

Anyway, first official mission has the Runners extracting a little girl from an abusive home. Waiting to see if the players want to take the home route or school route for the rescue.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #893
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm betting home route, with them hijacking a garbage truck and ramming it into the house to get past the defenses.

"What defenses?"

24. - Top - End - #894
    Troll in the Playground

Well, after several years of false starts, it looks like I'm finally rolling a character for a game that's actually happening. Does anyone have any advice for a long time fan, first time actual player?

Also, for a more specific question; I want to give my rigger character a favourite drone she disguises as an animatronic plushie, but there don't seem to be any drones in 5e (my GM found a 4e drone that could work) I could base it off. Any thoughts?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    Well, after several years of false starts, it looks like I'm finally rolling a character for a game that's actually happening. Does anyone have any advice for a long time fan, first time actual player?

Also, for a more specific question; I want to give my rigger character a favourite drone she disguises as an animatronic plushie, but there don't seem to be any drones in 5e (my GM found a 4e drone that could work) I could base it off. Any thoughts?
    How large should/can it be? There are some small anthrodrones that can fit the bill, I think.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

26. - Top - End - #896
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ignimortis View Post
    How large should/can it be? There are some small anthrodrones that can fit the bill, I think.
    About cat sized (I'm basically going for a Pokemon Trainer vibe).
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

About cat sized (I'm basically going for a Pokemon Trainer vibe).
    Aztechnology Hedgehog (Rigger 5.0, 129) seems to be pretty alright. Saab-Thyssen Bloodhound (Rigger 5.0, 136) could also work, but it's gonna be a bit larger than your average cat, I think? Either way, you can refluff them to be cat-shaped, and then add Realistic Features and some enhancements/replacements to Pilot/Body/Sensors to make it more useful on its' own.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ignimortis View Post
    Aztechnology Hedgehog (Rigger 5.0, 129) seems to be pretty alright. Saab-Thyssen Bloodhound (Rigger 5.0, 136) could also work, but it's gonna be a bit larger than your average cat, I think? Either way, you can refluff them to be cat-shaped, and then add Realistic Features and some enhancements/replacements to Pilot/Body/Sensors to make it more useful on its' own.
    Ooo, thanks for that. The fluff said the hedgehog has wheels, and I didn't think there was a way in the rules to make them a walker!

29. - Top - End - #899

Ooo, thanks for that. The fluff said the hedgehog has wheels, and I didn't think there was a way in the rules to make them a walker!
    I'm picturing a big pink bear that scoots around on its butt, now. ;-)
    The Cranky Gamer

30. - Top - End - #900
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I'm picturing a big pink bear that scoots around on its butt, now. ;-)
    Heh, I'm still deciding what sort of plushie she'd hide her drone in, but I think that's the polar opposite of what she'd want, even as a disguise.