New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Yeah, I figured I'd apply it to Combat skills, Physical Skills, B/R skills, and selected Special Skills (wood carving, pottery, underwater basket weaving, etc.)
    The only one of those I'd find a bit dicey is B/R, which I'd say is much more dependent on technical knowledge than smooth movement
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

2. - Top - End - #212
    Spamalot in the Playground

Next Saturday my local group is going to attempt to play 4th edition SR. So far it looks like three players have concepts; Hacker, Face, and a shaman (mostly detection spells).

I was thinking of going for a gunslinger adept (team could use a decent sharpshooter). Haven't done an adept as a PC. Any pitfalls to be wary of when building a concept?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I was thinking of going for a gunslinger adept (team could use a decent sharpshooter). Haven't done an adept as a PC. Any pitfalls to be wary of when building a concept?
    You're experienced with the system, so you already know the general non-adept stuff. I don't see any trap options among adept powers.

You might want to get a melee weapon focus (possibly a gun's butt) in case of magic opponents. And if you go for maximum leadspray by using two pistols or SMGs, be sure to remind your GM that the defender takes a penalty for each defense after the first ...
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    You're experienced with the system, so you already know the general non-adept stuff. I don't see any trap options among adept powers.

You might want to get a melee weapon focus (possibly a gun's butt) in case of magic opponents. And if you go for maximum leadspray by using two pistols or SMGs, be sure to remind your GM that the defender takes a penalty for each defense after the first ...
    Cool, so it seems I got a good handle on thing. Thanks for the tip to have a melee attack handy.

I was speaking to the player that is making the Face, and we came up with a fun way to have our characters share some history prior to the game start. He was inspired by the tv series Burn Notice. His character was burned for an unknown reason by his employer [insert agency here], dumped in Seattle, and is now SINless. He's forced to run in the shadows to earn money for his personal investigation on who burned him and why. My character, a ganger, used to be one of his contacts to the shadows. Used to supply him with weapons, knew people, and got around a good bit. After his character got burned, a number of my contacts stopped associating with me, which hurt my own "business". Forced to pick up shadow jobs to generate income, my character joins up with his on the investigation.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    The only one of those I'd find a bit dicey is B/R, which I'd say is much more dependent on technical knowledge than smooth movement
    Ever put a PC together? All sorts of tiny screws, cable connections, etc. in a tiny casing. Electronics are tiny, and soldering them is always tricky. How about a kitchen sink faucet? Those suckers are a pain in the back and neck to install, at least in my experience. I've helped take apart a car engine as well, and some of those bolts are nearly impossible to reach. I can't think of many B/R skills that wouldn't be helped by having improved joint flexibility.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah but if you fail to attach the tiny screw there's no consequence, you just try it again until it works. Whereas putting the wrong fuse in ( technical knowledge) and you could wreck the whole thing.
    But that's my opinion and, at the end of the day, its your game to run how you want
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

7. - Top - End - #217
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Cool, so it seems I got a good handle on thing. Thanks for the tip to have a melee attack handy.
    My personal preference for 4e magic gunbunnies is Automatics; not only does it sound more fun to be using bursts (controlled or wildly not) instead of single shots, but you have a lot of flexibility in your choice of arms, with everything from machine pistols and small SMGs to be your walking-around sidearm to assault and battle rifles.

Sure, you'll probably do with caseless, but my next one (...whenever the frak that'll be) is going to have an ARO playing the sound of brass landing on the appropriate material whenever he lays waste.

And you can absolutely have an enchanted bayonet or stock (teak, mahogany, say, possibly salvaged from a bespoke elephant rifle) to use on spirits, though for weak ones the Stick'n'Shock rounds are good for those, as is just a frakton of successes. After having a 3.0 DM fireball corpses in our D&D game, when it came time to play Shadowrun, I was fond of Melee Hardening my weapons and just clubbing or bayoneting things instead of having to change weapons and risk losing my fancy gun with its own character sheet.

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    My personal preference for 4e magic gunbunnies is Automatics; not only does it sound more fun to be using bursts (controlled or wildly not) instead of single shots, but you have a lot of flexibility in your choice of arms, with everything from machine pistols and small SMGs to be your walking-around sidearm to assault and battle rifles.
    They're a good deal for gunbunnies, yeah, plus the GM has no issues with us using the mods in the Arsenal book to tweak our weapons.

My combat mage in the last campaign I played had a signature weapon of a Super Warhawk modified for semi-auto. Perfect for intimidating captives and drilling holes into... well pretty much anything. One to two well placed shots would take out a small spy drone, or disable most civilian vehicles. I loved that gun.

Sure, you'll probably do with caseless, but my next one (...whenever the frak that'll be) is going to have an ARO playing the sound of brass landing on the appropriate material whenever he lays waste.
    Ooh, that's a nice little detail. I like it!

And you can absolutely have an enchanted bayonet or stock (teak, mahogany, say, possibly salvaged from a bespoke elephant rifle) to use on spirits, though for weak ones the Stick'n'Shock rounds are good for those, as is just a frakton of successes. After having a 3.0 DM fireball corpses in our D&D game, when it came time to play Shadowrun, I was fond of Melee Hardening my weapons and just clubbing or bayoneting things instead of having to change weapons and risk losing my fancy gun with its own character sheet.
    The double-edged sword of Shadowrun 4e. That stick-n-shock stuff is too good. I always tried to come to a gentleman's agreement of not going crazy with those if the GM would also restrain themselves with it. But you can't be too careful, so I always add electrical resistance to my armor anyway. ;)
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

2E question. Does anyone know where Improved Hand Razors are listed? I have a house rule that they inflict Str+2 L damage. But that's it. No install cost, no Essence cost, no availablity or availability date. I don't think I completely made them up, but I can't seem to find them in the sourcebooks. Can anyone help me out?
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, good news is you didn't imagine them.

Improved Hand Razors first turn up in The Street Samurai Catalogue for first edition. Page 89
    They do (Str)2L, costs 9,000 in one place and 8.500 in another. There's no Essence cost given because they're just an improvement on the basic Hand Razors which you need to have installed first. Essence cost for basic Hand Razors in First is 0.1 Essence or 0.2 if you want them to be retractable ( though living with cyber claws permanently 'popped' doesn't bear thinking about. I'd rather my 'Runner not risk crippling injuries every time he goes to the loo )

They seem to be skipped in 2nd Ed

They turn up in 3rd again as an improvement to Hand Razors. Costing an extra 8,500 to upgrade your basic Hand Razors to them and doing (Str+2)L damage. Again as they're an adjustment to basic Hand Razors once you've paid the Essence Cost for the basic model Improved costs no extra Essence.
    Essence cost is again 0.1 for non retractable razors, 0.2 for the sane option

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. I use the Street Samurai Catalog (my version is the "updated to 2E" version with "BANNED" blocking out a few pages), which makes me wonder what I was thinking when I wrote that down as a house rule.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-10-24 at 11:22 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222

If anyone's curious about my gunbunny build--

Spoiler: SR4A rules used
    Show
    Metatype: Ork (20 pts.)

Attributes (200 pts.)
    BOD 8
    AGI 5(9)
    REA 5(6)
    STR 3

CHA 2
    INT 3
    LOG 2
    WIL 5

Init 9 (2 IP)
    Edge 3
    Ess 4
    Magic 3 (bought 5, lost 2 pts. from Bioware)

Positive Qualities (20 pts.)
    Low Light Vision (Ork)
    Adept
    Restricted Gear 1 (used on Muscle Toner)
    Changeling II (Metagenetic Improvement-AGI, Unusual Hair, Extravagant Eyes)

Negative Qualities (+35 pts.)
    Gremlins 2
    In Debt 4
    Compulsive Behavior (Gluttony)

Adept Powers [Magic 3, giving 3 power points worth)
    Attribute Boost 1 (STR)
    Combat Sense 2
    Killing Hands
    Critical Strike 1
    Mystic Armor 2

Skills (80 pts.)
    Athletics Skill Group 2

Automatics 6
    Dodge 4
    Unarmed combat 1

Infiltration 1
    Perception 1
    Etiquette 1
    Pilot (ground vehicles) 1

Knowledge Skills
    Seattle Street Gangs 2
    Security Design 2

English N (Lingo - gang)
    Or'Zet 2
    Japanese 1

Contacts (11 pts. House rule of free points = CHAx2 in play)
    Street Doc 3/5
    Fixer 3/4

Gear (44 pts.)

Bioware:
    Muscle Toner 4 (0.8 ess)
    Platelet Factories (0.2 ess)
    Damage Compensators 4 (0.4 ess)
    Reflex Recorder (Automatics) (0.1 ess)
    Synaptic Booster 1 (0.5 ess)

Lifestyle
    Low Quality, 4 months pre-paid

Equipment
    Survival Knife
    Ares Crusader (+Laser sight, +concealed holster, +1 spare clip)
    Ingram Smartgun X (+2 spare clips)
    Ingram Smartgun X (2 spare clips)
    Ak 97 (+Integral Smartgun, +Gas vent 3, +Shock pad, +hang strap, +2 spare clips)

Ammo (lots, enough for each weapon to go through four loads worth of regular ammo and 2 loads of gel ammo)

Thermal smoke grenade x2
    Pepper Punch gas grenades x2

Armored Jacket (+Nonconductivity 4, +Fire Resist 4)
    Armored Vest(+Nonconductivity 4, +Fire Resist 4) (for public appearances really. I've seen fellow runners get shanked during downtime)
    Helmet

Commlink (Novatech + Iris)
    Common software (basic, Mapsoft 6)
    Skinlink
    Subvocal Mic
    Goggles (rating 6, +Flare comp, +Image link, +Smartlink, +Vision enhancement 3)
    Earbuds (rating 3, +Audio enhancement 3)

Tag eraser
    Datachips x5
    Certified Credstick
    Fake Sin x2 (Rating 4)
    Fake licenses (2 gun, 2 driver, all rating 4)

Plastic zip ties x10
    Crowbar
    Flashlight
    Lightsticks x10
    Gas mask
    Survival kit
    Medkid (rating 6)

My thoughts on the build:
    The character is built to do one thing really well--dakka. He'll throw about 18 dice with the Ingram SMGs 9 AGI +6 skill +1 Reflex recorder +2 Smartgun link). I bought two because, dodge melee with 12 dice (8 vs. ranged), and has a physical soak pool of 18 dice with the armored jacket vs. bullets. Infiltration is decent, though he's no ninja. Other skills aren't impressive, but he can at least throw a punch and drive a car without floundering utterly.

Lots of gear because I know the GM and he will micromanage the RP of every buy. :o

The bioware hits the essence pretty hard, but I found a weird quirk that IPs are cheaper this way. Plus, it's the fastest way to buy up Agility. Platelet Factories and Damage Compensators ensure that any damage he does take gets mitigated quickly. Gremlins because those are hilarious for RP and he doesn't really need to use computer skills (gun pool is high enough that it shouldn't come up often). In Debt because leads to interesting jobs to pay it back. So... I think it's a pretty solid build.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: gunbunny reply
    Show
    The bioware hits the essence pretty hard, but I found a weird quirk that IPs are cheaper this way.
    Sorta, sorta not. In terms of BP, the synaptic booster is costing you 16 for the nuyen and another 5 for half a point of Magic lost. Even without geas-ing your Adept powers, the first level of their IP-granter is only costing you the equivalent of 15 BP, and the second one just 10. Long term, the synaptic booster will probably be cheaper to raise. It's somewhat dependent on the ratio of rewards, money versus karma. (Your "In Debt" kinda hurts you, there.)

That ignores the other benefits you get from your bioware, of course. It's much more expensive to go above the natural Agility limit with magic than with warez. The damage reducers are pretty low-Essence so they're probably a better buy per BP than Mystic Armor, and they work against damage coming from inside you, too. Likewise, the Reflex Recorder is a better deal than spending Magic on raising your Automatics skill.

Note that the Attribute Boost will most likely give you 1 point of Strength for 2 turns, and it takes a Simple Action to use. Not a lot of situations where that'll make a difference.

I can suggest optimizations for defense and DPS, but I won't burden the thread trying to prove that I'm nerdier than you

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #224

That ignores the other benefits you get from your bioware, of course. It's much more expensive to go above the natural Agility limit with magic than with warez. The damage reducers are pretty low-Essence so they're probably a better buy per BP than Mystic Armor, and they work against damage coming from inside you, too. Likewise, the Reflex Recorder is a better deal than spending Magic on raising your Automatics skill.
    Ah, seems that you're right. The Synaptic Booster isn't cheaper. The other bio crammed in there makes up for some of it. I think I still get a little ahead in certain areas, like you mentioned--Agility.

Note that the Attribute Boost will most likely give you 1 point of Strength for 2 turns, and it takes a Simple Action to use. Not a lot of situations where that'll make a difference.
    Yeah, I was thinking about that. Might either change it for Reaction or drop it entirely for something more useful (maybe another point of critical strike, then STR becomes less a problem with my +2 DV in melee).

I can suggest optimizations for defense and DPS, but I won't burden the thread trying to prove that I'm nerdier than you
    Haha, nah, its okay. Given the low optimization the party has been putting into their characters, I think I'm plenty organized. I should help the party Face today optimize their character, because they didn't consider the wonders of cyber/bio to up their combat game.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #225

Last Saturday my local group played our first session of Shadowrun 4e. Three of us are veterans with the system, so we're prepared and ready. The GM has played 4th edition, but it's his first time running things. And we have a newbie player that knows a little of the game's premise, but never touched the books before. Not a problem. I sat next to the new player and helped her build a pretty decent streetsam. Just a straight-forward easy character type to play so she can learn the basic rules and go up from there.

Overall the session played out as smoothly as the Hindenburg disaster.

Spoiler
    Show
    Things started out fine. We each give some bullet points from our back story and the GM works out how our fixers call us up to meet a Johnson for a run. My character and the Face have a prior history, so we get together and arrive early to scope out the bar we're meeting at. We meet the Johnson and accept our first mission--there is a low-level street gang that killed a courier and took the package he was supposed to deliver to our Johnson. The job is to find the gang and take back the package. The gang isn't well established nor well-equipped, but they're hiding in a place that Lone Star hates to go, and the Johnson knows that the cops will confiscate his package as 'evidence' if he goes to the police. Fair enough. We're given a rough area where the courier's last GPS signal came from and a description of what the package is. Pay was a little on the low side, which I assumed was so that the party Face can shine and negotiate a better pay, but he dropped the ball on negotiations. Ah well, first session hiccup.

Alright, we got two days to secure the package and call the Johnson back. We exchange contact numbers and discuss our plan for legwork. The team shaman says he's gonna do legwork on his own, and leaves. Uh... okay? The rest of us head to the newbie player's house (she wanted a middle lifestyle and that's cool). The face does some computer research with the streetsam while I call a street doc contact who happens to work near the area the courier disappeared at. We manage to get a reasonable idea of where the gang hangs out (a warehouse district on the east side side of town).

Unbeknownst to us, the shaman meanwhile turned into owl form and went for a night flight around where the courier was last scene. The GM, pulling his own teeth so that the shaman wouldn't forever be flying in literal circles the entire night, gave a few clues that helped the shaman come to the same conclusion we did. The shaman even spots the courier's car, so maybe he knows which warehouse we shout infiltrate first. Time to go back and call us, right?

Haha, that's cute.

Nah, the shaman quietly flies into the warehouse, perches on a high beam, and just watches the gang inside. Back to us, we stake out the neighborhood in the Face's car. The warehouses here are old, dark, and most aren't even used anymore. Great place for hiding. Lots of shadows. A gang would love it here to lay low. But, for whatever reason, one of the gangers opens fire on the car from a second floor window. Odd cause if they kept quiet we would have driven right by them. The face speeds off to hide the car and we get out to try sneaking in the shadows. Except the GM describes the warehouse as being in the middle of a concrete field with working lights on all sides, so there's no place to sneak up to the building. My character is a bit trigger itchy, so I take a shot at the sniper and head-shot him with a sound-suppressed SMG. Yes, awesome shot is awesome!

Okay, call the shaman. No answer. We leave a message (not that he'd get it because he left all his gear at his apartment when he went owl form).

A half dozen human gangers come pouring out to attack us. Contrary to what we were told, these weren't low-level poorly armed gangers. They had burst-fire weapons with laser sights, a grenade launcher, and the gang leader had a smartlinked machine gun. Alright so it's a straight up fight then. We do our best using cover and tactics to get around the gang and flank them. For low-level gangers, they were throwing an average of 17 dice on their attacks. The GM also kept forgetting that we get Reaction rolls to dodge the attacks before soaking damage. He also kept forgetting that I have a second Initiative Pass, and then complained about me being OP for gunning down two gangers in just two passes with my SMG. Uh, maybe because we're professional runners and these people should be low-level mooks? I mean, the Johnson's description made this mission feel a bit like a milk run and that was fine since it's a good way to help the newbie learn the rules and get comfortable. We can focus on interactions and RP.

Instead the newbie nearly died despite her best precautions and use of cover. And the GM seemed actually annoyed at that. I'm not sure what he expected when he gunned down the streetsam with burst fire from three gangers throwing 17-dice attack pools and failing to remember rules like distance penalties and cover. The face went back to his car and drove it at the warehouse, running over two gangers. I took down two more gangers with wide bursts (human mooks with 17-dice soak pools? Seems legit) and the streetsam managed two kills. I then pull out the first aid kit (rating 6) and patch up the streetsam. The GM was arguing that no, you don't get the rating as a bonus to your first aid dice pool. I had to actually open the rule book to the page where it says yes you do and shove it in his face. We recover the package, loot some bodies and leave the scene.

Trivia point here--what really killed the game for me was the loot. We picked up five Ares Predator IV pistols (with laser sights), a holdout pistol, and a cred stick with 300 nuyen on it. The pistols were not modified, which then had me almost stand up and ask the GM where the heck did all the burst fire come from? Oh, the machine gun conveniently 'blew up' with the gang leader. And the grenade launcher they used had no more ammo (they fired it twice, missing us completely both times. The GM was legit pissed at his dice that they missed). You know, cause game balance or something.

And where was the shaman the entire time? Still in owl form up on the perch. Watched the whole fight and didn't help at all. Nice. So he flies back to his place, changes back, and calls us pretending to know where the warehouse was. We tell him we already finished the job. Where were you? Well, we get paid (and the shaman is damn lucky we still gave him a handout. We could have cut him out entirely on pay).

So that was our first session playing Shadowrun with this GM.

And that was also the last session of us playing Shadowrun with this GM.

I dunno what it is, but the past 2-3 GMs my group has invited to run games for us are all lousy with rules. Should see the stories of my D&D ranger from another GM if you hadn't before. The Face's player offered to run the game himself so maybe we'll do that next time we meet up.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Daaaang. Too bad you had to waste the mooks -- woulda been nice to hire guys who swing around seventeen dice like it's no big. Most of my 400BP builds don't even put their specialty that high.

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #227

RedWizardGuy

...devil's advocation here, maybe they were (a) using funky experimental super-super machine guns that were sooooooper accurate and hit like trucks, but had a chance to cook off as a HE grenade on the user...

the explosions of which were cunningly timed to act as an ablative armor matrix, giving them serious soak against your attacks, and serving as soak for their own explosions?

...while adding both their Professional Rating of 4 and their Threat Rating of 4 (WHAT DO YOU MEAN THOSE DON'T STACK OR EXIST IN THE SAME EDITION LOLRITE!?!?)...

Oof, that's about as much as I can pull out of my butt for this. Sorry, that bites, man. :(

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Daaaang. Too bad you had to waste the mooks -- woulda been nice to hire guys who swing around seventeen dice like it's no big. Most of my 400BP builds don't even put their specialty that high.
    And they say good help is hard to find

Seriously if those were his Street gangers what the hell would the Red Samurai be like ?

19. - Top - End - #229

I know, right? Sadly they were pretty much run on mindless goon tactics. Wouldn't stop to hear the Face out at all and even after we killed their leader and half their numbers the remaining gangers just kept on gunning for us instead of doing the sensible thing and run. Kinda felt a bit video-gamey there.

Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    Oof, that's about as much as I can pull out of my butt for this. Sorry, that bites, man. :(
    *snerk* Well you did make me laugh a bit, so thanks for that. :3

Seriously if those were his Street gangers what the hell would the Red Samurai be like ?
    I think if a Red Sam showed up I would just discard my character sheet into the paper shredder. It probably about right.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

2E/3E question:

How would you handle set strength melee weapons in the hands of someone stronger? Say, a Supershock Stun Baton (S8 Serious Stun) in the hands of a Strength 9 Troll (Club does Str+1 Medium Stun)?

21. - Top - End - #231
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    2E/3E question:

How would you handle set strength melee weapons in the hands of someone stronger? Say, a Supershock Stun Baton (S8 Serious Stun) in the hands of a Strength 9 Troll (Club does Str+1 Medium Stun)?
    With Stun Weapons designed for bludgeoning, I had them do two separate damages... one from the strength of the character, the second from the strength of the charge. Any damage done by one doesn't increase the difficulty of resisting the other, and it makes it a lot more likely that you get stun overflow into physical damage... it's how my stun-baton weilding physad kept killing people. You couldn't effectively "pull" the stun-charge damage, though you could poke someone with it and do stun-charge damage without doing beatdown damage (and that was prefered by a lot of people, since "I touch you" is a lot easier to pull off than "I hit you hard enough to hurt").

It makes them nasty, and preferred by security forces.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Physical Adepts can take "Killing Hands" as a power, letting their fists inflict Physical damage. What would "Shocking Hands" look like, other than simply wearing Shock Gloves (7S Stun-Shock + Str-1 M stun)?

Bare hands already do Str M stun damage. Level 1 could add a Shock (+2 to target numbers for a time based on Attack Strength and target's Body/Willpower) effect to the hit. Level 2 increases damage to Str S stun, and level 3 increases the damage to Str D stun

Killing Hands costs 0.5/1/2/4 points per level (in 2E).
    Shocking Hands could be 0.5/1/2 per level.

Sound reasonable? I'd consider taking it, if not for the -1 reach penalty for unarmed attacks...
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-10-26 at 09:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233

I'd lean towards there being a cost that grants you a certain level of shock damage... like, 1 point gets you a (Magic)L shock, 3 points gets you a (Magic)M shock, 6 points gets you a (Magic)S shock. Even at 1 point, it's a useful power, but a lot easier to overcome.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

But this is a Physical Adept power you can't call it 'Shocking Hands' . It needs to be Death Touch or Nerve Strike for the proper Martial Arts feel

25. - Top - End - #235

But this is a Physical Adept power you can't call it 'Shocking Hands' . It needs to be Death Touch or Nerve Strike for the proper Martial Arts feel
    Eh, Shadowrun, even 2nd edition, is far enough into it that you start getting folks who are more techno in their approach to physical adeptness.
    The Cranky Gamer

26. - Top - End - #236

RedWizardGuy

The SR4 version is Elemental Strike, and costs 0.5 points, and has Killing Hands as a prerequisite, giving your unarmed strike an Elemental rider, like Electricity, Fire, METAL, etc, fwiw.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

This was brought up in another thread but I thought the upcoming 'mostly Shadowrun' movie would be of interest in this thread

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_(film)

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Another 2E question: How do shock weapons work against vehicles, or really, paranormal animals with hardened armor (dragons, juggernauts, etc.)?

Obviously, damage is staged down one level. Armor counts as a barrier, while body counts as armor. So a juggernaut has Body 15 Armor 8. Shock weapons halve the effective impact armor. I presume that would affect the 15 points of body armor, but would it also apply to the hardened armor? If it only applies to the body armor, the final armor value would be 15/2+8 = 15.5, rounded up to 16 if it's an opponent to the PCs, or rounded down to 15 if it's friendly with the PCs (for whatever reason). If it applies to all the armor, the final value would be 11.5, rounded as normal.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Shock weapons do Stun damage and, as far as I'm aware, vehicles just don't take stun damage so they are going to do nothing at all to vehicles. After all you can't stun a car.

Against a Juggernaut its Hardened armour acts as a Barrier Rating which means if the power of the weapon does not exceed the Barrier Rating it does NO damage. If the Juggernaut has Hardened Armour of 8 that means you need a Power 9 weapon to have any chance of hurting it and I don't think there are any Power 9 shock weapons.

Incidentally any PC who uses a shock weapon on a Juggernaut deserves, IMHO, a round of applause from the table for his valiant, if very brief, act of bravery

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. 4e has rules for the non-damage effects of shock on vehicles/drones/devices along with what creatures face. There's still no "Stun" damage, but they can get knocked outta commission for a few turns. Kinda surprised that's not in 2e.

Current games list