Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Sorcerous Origin: Sacrifice WIP

    This is a WIP to be used in a homebrew campaign. Nonetheless, critiques are welcome.
    (Note: English is not my mother language, if you think that some phrasing is off, or you think of a better fluff or description, please help me.)


    Sorcerous Origin: Sacrifice
    During your birth a life was sacrified and strong magic was involved. If it was an accident, an assassination, or a dark ritual is irrelevant to the arcane forces. The magic involved mixed with your life essence, blood, and flesh, leaving you with a dormant power inside your veins. As you grow stronger, so does the magic, and at some point you understand that you can focus and use that power.

    Arcane Blood
    Magic runs through your veins stronghening your body and making your affinity with it something natural for you.
    At 1st level, your hit point maximum increases by 1 and increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class. You also gain one extra sorcery point.

    Absorb Magic
    When your body resists hostile magic attacking it, a rush of adrenaline runs through it as you feel the magic in your blood is stronger than the magic that tries to hurt you, feeding on it's essence.
    At 1st level, when a spell attack made by an enemy misses you, or you make a succesful saving throw against a spell cast by an enemy, you can use your reaction to absorb the magical energy of the spell gaining sorcery points equal to half the level of the spell slot used to cast it, rounding up. You can't absorb cantrips. If it's a magical effect that isn't a spell you only gain 1 sorcery point. You can't go over your maximum Sorcery Points this way.

    Essence Exchange
    You have learnt to control the magic that is in your blood to the point that you can use your life essence to empower your arcane energy and vice versa.
    At 6th level, you can use a bonus action to transform sorcery points into health points. You can spend 1 sorcery point to gain 5 health points. You can spend as many sorcery points as you want in a single bonus action.
    Alternatively you can use a bonus action to transform health points into sorcery points. You can spend 5 health points to gain 1 sorcery point. You can spend as many health points as you want in a single bonus action. You can't go over your maximum Sorcery Points this way.

    Organic Metamagic
    Every spell you cast feels like a part of you. Your affinity with magic gets stronger as you feel it's easier for you to mold spells using your own life force.
    At 14th level, your metamagic options cost 1 sorcery point less with a minimum of 1.
    You can use Essence Exchange to transform health points to sorcery points as part of the action used to cast the spell instead of a bonus action if those sorcery points are expended in the same turn in a metamagic option.

    Magic Duality Embodiment

    You have mastered the two natures inside your body to a level that your body and your soul are linked by magic at the most basic level. You can attune your whole body for concentrating on two spells at once using your magical nature as a medium, but it has a cost.
    At 18th level, you can concentrate on a second spell. Concentrating on two speels at once consumes 1 sorcery point per round. Every concentration save you make is at disadvantage while concentrating on two spells. If you fail a concentration save you are too confused to concentrate on another spell for 1d4 turns. When one or both of the concentrations end, either by choice or by failing a concentration save, you lose health points equal to the spell slots level used on the spell or spells you were concentrating on.
    Last edited by BabyCthulhu; 2017-01-30 at 05:39 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Avatar By Linklele!

    Default Re: Sorcerous Origin: Sacrifice WIP

    Absorb Magic is far too powerful to be at-will. Once per short rest would be good though.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show


    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sorcerous Origin: Sacrifice WIP

    Does Arcane Blood give you 1 extra Sorcery Point for every level of Sorcerer you take? If so, that's OP. If it only gives you 1 Sorcery Point at 1st level, then it's underpowered, as you can't even use Sorc Points at that level yet.

    Absorb Magic is way better than the Sorcerous Restoration ability you get at level 20. You should limit it to once per long rest or put some other tax on it, like take twice the damage that would have been dealt to you.

    Essence Exchange needs to have a lossy exchange rate rather than perfect conversion, I think.

    Overall, cool concept on the Metamagic-specialized Sorc :)

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Saint Louis

    Default Re: Sorcerous Origin: Sacrifice WIP

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonBH View Post
    Does Arcane Blood give you 1 extra Sorcery Point for every level of Sorcerer you take? If so, that's OP. If it only gives you 1 Sorcery Point at 1st level, then it's underpowered, as you can't even use Sorc Points at that level yet.

    Absorb Magic is way better than the Sorcerous Restoration ability you get at level 20. You should limit it to once per long rest or put some other tax on it, like take twice the damage that would have been dealt to you.

    Essence Exchange needs to have a lossy exchange rate rather than perfect conversion, I think.

    Overall, cool concept on the Metamagic-specialized Sorc :)
    I have the same question/comment.

    Though I have to say. it isn't too hard to make something better than Sorcerous Restoration... Level 20 sorcerer kinda gets shafted.

    How about something like this for Absorb Magic?

    Absorb Magic
    When your body resists hostile magic attacking it, a rush of adrenaline runs through it as you feel the magic in your blood is stronger than the magic that tries to hurt you, feeding on it's essence.
    At 6th level, when a spell attack made by an enemy misses you, or you make a successful saving throw against a spell cast by an enemy, you can use your reaction to absorb the magical energy of the spell, you regain 1 sorcery point if it is a 1st level spell or higher. This applies to magical effects that aren't at-will. You can't go over your maximum Sorcery Points this way.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: Sorcerous Origin: Sacrifice WIP

    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Absorb Magic is far too powerful to be at-will. Once per short rest would be good though.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I feel that there are not that many monsters that cast spells, in fact it was the DM for the game I'm using this homebrew who suggested adding the "1SP if it's a magical effect", as he felt this will not be in use enough time. There is also a maximum number of SP, and a limited ammount of SP you can spend every turn, so even if you are in a combat with a lot of spellcasters, you would soon reach a point where you have you max SP.
    That said, if I was to limit this in some way, I think it would be better to be once per combat, or until you reach your max SP then overload and need a short rest to restart, or if it would be used once per short rest I would remove the need to be a reaction.

    Anyway, I'm reluctant to change this homebrew as long as I'm still on that game.
    Maybe I should make a "version 1.1" or Make every entry a "Choose one of this options."
    I'm still really debating about the theme. Blood magic has been used a lot, and monster bloodlines could spawn an infinite number of sorcerous origins. Any help or suggestion as how to better fluff this homebrew would be greatly appreciated.
    (Dark Ritual? Starts Aligned? Chosen One? Profetic? Two spirits in one body? Magically Attuned? Spell Survivor? Arg!!!)

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonBH View Post
    Does Arcane Blood give you 1 extra Sorcery Point for every level of Sorcerer you take? If so, that's OP. If it only gives you 1 Sorcery Point at 1st level, then it's underpowered, as you can't even use Sorc Points at that level yet.
    Thanks for the reply.
    It's only 1 point. I suspect that giving extra max SP could be very powerful very fast. And I'm giving another method or regenerating SP, so both things combined could be gamebreaking IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonBH View Post
    Absorb Magic is way better than the Sorcerous Restoration ability you get at level 20. You should limit it to once per long rest or put some other tax on it, like take twice the damage that would have been dealt to you.
    This only works when you are the target of spells, is not that common. I think if you can't benefit from something at-will or anytime, It's allowed to be more powerful than something you can use independiently of the siruation. (Like Restoration)

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonBH View Post
    Essence Exchange needs to have a lossy exchange rate rather than perfect conversion, I think.
    I considered this myself, but if the exchange is worse, sorcerers would just trade SP for spell slots and cast a better healing spell.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonBH View Post
    Overall, cool concept on the Metamagic-specialized Sorc :)
    Thanks! But I'm not happy at all with the fluff. Any ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deleted View Post
    How about something like this for Absorb Magic?

    Absorb Magic
    When your body resists hostile magic attacking it, a rush of adrenaline runs through it as you feel the magic in your blood is stronger than the magic that tries to hurt you, feeding on it's essence.
    At 6th level, when a spell attack made by an enemy misses you, or you make a successful saving throw against a spell cast by an enemy, you can use your reaction to absorb the magical energy of the spell, you regain 1 sorcery point if it is a 1st level spell or higher. This applies to magical effects that aren't at-will. You can't go over your maximum Sorcery Points this way.
    Thanks for the reply.
    As explained above, spells are not that common. Making this too weak in addition to only being able to use it if your DM uses spellcasters makes it a lot less attractive. Like giving something resistance to fire or poison is not the same as giving them radiant, acid, or thunder. You have to take into account how many times it becomes useful.

    I'll think about making Absorb something weaker that comes into play more frequently.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Sorcerous Origin: Sacrifice WIP

    What I see here is every ability almost every ability feeding into you getting a huge amount of sorcery points. Heck even if you wouldn't ever use your Essence Exchange feature this is tankier than the Dragon Sorcerer while having more magic. The problem you have a sub-class designed purely to exploit more ways to gain sorcery points and use more for lots of magic but nothing in terms of enacting your theme. As far as I am concerned I am sacrificing nothing by taking this I just see a better sorcerer.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: Sorcerous Origin: Sacrifice WIP

    Quote Originally Posted by Amnoriath View Post
    What I see here is every ability almost every ability feeding into you getting a huge amount of sorcery points. Heck even if you wouldn't ever use your Essence Exchange feature this is tankier than the Dragon Sorcerer while having more magic. The problem you have a sub-class designed purely to exploit more ways to gain sorcery points and use more for lots of magic but nothing in terms of enacting your theme. As far as I am concerned I am sacrificing nothing by taking this I just see a better sorcerer.
    Thanks for the reply.
    The fluff is lacking, I'm thinking a better one, but I thought the theme was clear, magic flowing inside the blood, better attunement to magic. I thought playing with SP was more balanced than anything involving spells or spell slots, or resistance to magic. The feature everyone is concerned about doesn't protect the character in any way, it requires a missing spell. If you get hit, you can do nothing about it.
    It was never my intention to create something overpowered or exploit anything.
    I think Draconic sorcerers are tankier, as they get better AC, more damage, and fly, without any requirement. And they can get resistance to fire (the most common energy damage) for just 1 SP. So I honestly don't see how this one is tankier.
    About you don't seeing you sacrifice nothing by taking this, neither do I, Sorcerous Origin is not a part of the class where you have to sacrifice anything. I'm afraid I don't see your point there.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Sorcerous Origin: Sacrifice WIP

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyCthulhu View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    The fluff is lacking, I'm thinking a better one, but I thought the theme was clear, magic flowing inside the blood, better attunement to magic. I thought playing with SP was more balanced than anything involving spells or spell slots, or resistance to magic. The feature everyone is concerned about doesn't protect the character in any way, it requires a missing spell. If you get hit, you can do nothing about it.
    It was never my intention to create something overpowered or exploit anything.
    I think Draconic sorcerers are tankier, as they get better AC, more damage, and fly, without any requirement. And they can get resistance to fire (the most common energy damage) for just 1 SP. So I honestly don't see how this one is tankier.
    About you don't seeing you sacrifice nothing by taking this, neither do I, Sorcerous Origin is not a part of the class where you have to sacrifice anything. I'm afraid I don't see your point there.
    1. All sorcerers have magic in the blood, it even says it in its description "People with magical power seething in
    their veins soon discover that the power doesn’t like to stay quiet." It is the job of a sub-class to give it a source.
    2. The problem is that in the 5e frame of mind missing or succeeding on a save is actually quite possible even if you are bad at it. This is especially the case in attack rolls at level 1 in which AC's are proportionally high. So recovering sorcery points is easy.
    3. Yours has the same health and recovers more by using sorcery points in which the Dragon Sorcerer won't ever have. Besides it really just copies spells while precious in a sorcerer the point is for something that has sacrifice in the name it is quite safe.
    4. You have it as a theme whether it be by some dark means or such. What I see is a sub-class that hands you sorcery points. Is it necessarily out of balance in comparison with others not really unless a lot of magic is thrown at you but I am saying because it doesn't have a basis feeling bland and without purpose.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •