New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Pimp My Blinkdog

I'm taking leadership as a feat, and my cohort will be a blinkdog.

Does anyone know if they can take class levels? They've got the int for it, and I don't see why they couldn't be fighters or rogues or similar classes.

And can you think of good magic items for them? The blinkdog has 5,600gp to start off with.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pimp My Blinkdog

How about an amulet of Natural armour +1 (2000 gp) and a pack of magebred riding dogs trained for defensive fighting (600 gp each I think 6 dogs = 3600 gp)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pretty much anything with an intelligence score of 3 or higher can take class levels. Your DM might not approve, but if he/she does I recommend taking levels in rogue. A teleporting dog with sneak attack is something I can't resist.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

There is a prc, something along the lines of 'Beast Heart Adept' that lets you make a blink dog your companion (not just cohort). It then gain levels similarly to an animal companion gaining HD, str, con and evasion/devotion etc. Progressing in that prc gives a second companion (two blink dogs!) and special flanking abilities you share with them.

If for levels, rogue would be a good one. So would Scout, charge in and get the extra +1d6 or more skirmish (ie. no need to setup sneak attacks). Charge, dimension door out...repeat, repeat, repeat.

Bene

5. - Top - End - #5

BarbarianGuy

Give it monk levels, using the decisive strike variant. Give it sleight of hand too =P

So it can teleport and make a DC 20 sleight of hand check to steal a ring off any BBEGs you might face, or deliver a nasty smack.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

In savage species there is a Necklace of Natural Weapons that allows you to apply weapon enchantments to natural weapons (+3, flaming, keen, even vorpal depending on how you consider bite damage). The base price for it is 2600 gp, then you add the price for whatever enchantments you layer on.
    Sure to turn any monster into a much more effective combatant.
    You should also talk to your dm about adapting the typical magic items to use for a dog. Look into purchasing a muzzle that works like a helm of true seeing, bracers fitted for a dog's forelegs, even ear piercings to use as a ring slot.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Give a monk level to get flurry, then take the sun school tactical feat from Complete Warrior. That gives it an attack at th end of every blink, which is all kinds of cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I like lussman's idea.

This is also the coolest thread title EVER!
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

9. - Top - End - #9

Not sure what sun school tactic is, but I thought you couldn't flurry with natural attacks. Just unarmed strikes and monk weapons.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glyphic View Post
    Not sure what sun school tactic is, but I thought you couldn't flurry with natural attacks. Just unarmed strikes and monk weapons.
    You can flurry with the "unarmed strike"(in this case, probably a series of headbutts), and then tack on the natural attack(bite) at the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benejeseret View Post
    There is a prc, something along the lines of 'Beast Heart Adept' that lets you make a blink dog your companion (not just cohort). It then gain levels similarly to an animal companion gaining HD, str, con and evasion/devotion etc. Progressing in that prc gives a second companion (two blink dogs!) and special flanking abilities you share with them.
    Where might one find said Prestige Class?
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    You can flurry with the "unarmed strike"(in this case, probably a series of headbutts), and then tack on the natural attack(bite) at the end of it.
    For some reason, that's a hilarious mental image. *bonk* *bonk* *bonk* *chomp*

Dungeonscape, if memory serves. There's also a preview on Wizards.com

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

As dareon said, its' in Dungeonscape. It basically lets you have monster companions instead of animal companions. Very awesome. And ypu can in fact get a blink dog companion at level 1. But, it won't be able to take class levels, so you might as well get the blinkdog as a cohort.
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2007-07-22 at 09:07 AM.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glyphic View Post
    Even if you can't actually flurry, you have the flurry ability, which is the prereq for sun school. Sun school is in Complete Warrior, in the tactical feats section with combat brute and elusive target, etc.

While I can't quote it directly, I can "speculate" that it gives you 3 abilities. One of those abilities "might" give you a free attack on an adjacent foe when you end your turn next to them after a dimension door. Normally, dimension door ends the turn of the person or creature that uses it immediately.

The other abilities are ok, but not nearly as cool as that. Take a look for it if you have comp warrior, or just go to your local Barns & Nobles and give it a look.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2007-07-22 at 09:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

As much as I love the headbutting blinkdog idea, I doubt my DM would let me take monk levels for him. I am thinking about 1 level of fighter (for BAB & a feat), followed by one of wilderness rogue (sneak attack and skill points), then another fighter, after that... who knows? I think ranger would fit thematically, but all the class features are pretty useless for them (they already get track, and they won't be able to use 2WF or archery feats). Maybe scout? Or would that be too cheesey with the dim door at will ability?

The necklace of natural weapons is exactly what I'm after, I think I'll upgrade that to holy when I have the cash.

The beast heart adept PrC has given me a great idea for a future character, but would take me too far from my current concept.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Unfortunately the amulet is a wondrous item, not a weapon so if you cant to have the holy added you've got to talk your DM into it. Given how useful it is to PCs with multiple nat attacks and how ridiculously expensive it is added holy power might well put it miles and miles out of your price range/budget
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmful View Post
    Unfortunately the amulet is a wondrous item, not a weapon so if you cant to have the holy added you've got to talk your DM into it. Given how useful it is to PCs with multiple nat attacks and how ridiculously expensive it is added holy power might well put it miles and miles out of your price range/budget
    It's not the Amulet Of Mighty Fists, it's the Necklace Of Natural Weapons. It lets your natural weapon(s) be enchanted like a manufactured weapon. The more natural weapons you have, the more expensive it gets. As blinkdogs only have one (a bite), it only costs 600gp + whatever enhancement you want to put on it. So if I wanted my bite to be +1, it would be 600gp for the necklace + 2000gp for the +1 enhancement. Making it holy would be the equivalent of upgrading a +1 weapon to a +3. Not cheap, but ultimately affordable.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's an excerpt on the Wizard's site, in fact.

Necklace of Natural Weapons is a good idea, I'd agree. You could use the sneak attack fighter variant, if you want BAB and sneak attack.
    Last edited by Captain van der Decken; 2007-07-23 at 07:47 AM.
    I WILL round this Cape, even if I have to keep sailing until doomsday!
    Engaged in A Spat with Jibar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decken by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devil Lord-to-be and proud member of the Baatezu Lovers club!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Overlard View Post
    It's not the Amulet Of Mighty Fists, it's the Necklace Of Natural Weapons. It lets your natural weapon(s) be enchanted like a manufactured weapon. The more natural weapons you have, the more expensive it gets. As blinkdogs only have one (a bite), it only costs 600gp + whatever enhancement you want to put on it. So if I wanted my bite to be +1, it would be 600gp for the necklace + 2000gp for the +1 enhancement. Making it holy would be the equivalent of upgrading a +1 weapon to a +3. Not cheap, but ultimately affordable.
    Oooooh..... .... thank you, at the moment im using a thayan gladiator/warshaper barbarian werewolf BBEG and now i can add even more ubercombat abilities.... he he he.....
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Overlard View Post
    As much as I love the headbutting blinkdog idea, I doubt my DM would let me take monk levels for him. I am thinking about 1 level of fighter (for BAB & a feat), followed by one of wilderness rogue (sneak attack and skill points), then another fighter, after that... who knows?
    After that, SwordSage. A two-level dip would give you Assassin's Stance (+2d6 Sneak damage), switchable Weapon Focus, +Wis to AC, more skill points, and lots of Setting Sun/Shadow Hand tomfoolery.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    After that, SwordSage. A two-level dip would give you Assassin's Stance (+2d6 Sneak damage), switchable Weapon Focus, +Wis to AC, more skill points, and lots of Setting Sun/Shadow Hand tomfoolery.
    Sadly, TBo9S is his biggest "no"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

I played a blink dog before
    Rouge is excellent because of the blink ability every time you blink unless they can see the ethral plain and the material they are denied DEX. therefore you get a sneak attack every time.