New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My webcomic "Thieves can't"

It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Healing as an alternative to putting up with more optimizing got a chortle out of me.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Healing as an alternative to putting up with more optimizing got a chortle out of me.
    Smudge is a good addition, I hope they keep him around.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

How does the Snapback have a negative charisma modifier?
    It's a cutie.
    No really, I want one.

But that chicken...
    I'm pretty sure that looks like a TPK in the making.
    Oh well, at least they can be killed.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Fascinating idea for a small dungeon.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2020-08-10 at 08:26 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

I liked the little campaign ideas. It's fun to read a tabletop gaming webcomic whose creators still play tabletop games.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Like somebody in the comments section said: "What’s the point of having access to a stat block for a tyrannosaurus zombie if you’re not going to use it?"

12. - Top - End - #162
    Bugbear in the Playground

I mean, that's a good point. If someone already did the work of making stats for this creature, surely it would be rude not to use it, right?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

I found the latest comic's blog entry interesting:

I want to add to this my “Three Step” rule, because I tend to have the environment have the occasionally lethal challenge in it. (I say “my,” but I’ve been playing this game for ages and consuming content on how to DM it for just as long; I almost certainly read or heard this somewhere else, but the original source is far receded into the fog of time for me.)

The three step rule is easy. In it, players fail three times to reach the really bad consequences, but succeed once to proceed. I don’t use it for everything – just where the stakes are much, much higher than normal. I do it for two reasons — it mitigates “save or suck” mechanics, like turning to stone, but it also ramps up the excitement of tense moments.

For example, suppose an ogre shoves a rogue over the edge of a cliff. Suddenly we’re making dex saving throws, but those dex saving throws are really death saves in disguise, because I know, as the DM, that the fall is too high to reasonably survive.

Our rogue fails the first dex save. He falls over the edge of the cliff and the ogre laughs. But! He was just quick enough and just wily enough to grab out to the cliff’s edge with one hand. (For the best effect, ask the player if they have a reaction. They tend to do their best thinking when their entire character sheet is on the line.)

He’s now prone, mechanically speaking, but the way we’re expressing in the game narrative is that he’s hanging onto the edge of the cliff by one hand. He can make a new dex save at the start of his turn. If he succeeds, he pulls himself up. If he fails, his hand slips and (for example) he lands painfully on a small outcropping of unstable rock. He’s one check away from getting himself out of the situation, but also one failed save away from taking all that gygaxian fall damage. In the meantime, the ogre and the rest of the party are doing stuff — possibly saving him or dropping rocks on his head.

However the next bit plays out, it’s far more memorable than simply vanishing over the edge of a cliff and splatting on the rocks below, and the death (if it happens) feels more fair, even though you actually stacked the deck in the players’ favor.

You can use this in a lot of places, and can use it to create consequences with more gradation in them than life or death. Failed stealth check that seems like the only outcome would be to wake up a dragon? The player’s character crunches the rocks and the dragon stirs to yawn — repeat the check. Fail again? The dragon starts looking around suspiciously. What do you do? Fail a third time? Initiative! Save? The dragon is awake and alert now, but doesn’t see you.

So next time you’re dealing with a save or suck mechanic, consider dividing it into three saves next time. Three saves to fail, one check to recover.
    I think this is a consistent quirk of human psychology. Failure has more emotional weight than success. So in a situation where failure and success are equally likely, the experience will on the whole be negative, as the failures outweigh the equal number of successes.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Recent updates.

Load Bearing -- https://www.yesthievescan.com/thievescant-comic/load-bearing-pg1/

Starfall Pt2 -- https://www.yesthievescan.com/thievescant-comic/starfall-part-2-page-1/

Question -- when a thread for a comic goes dark for a while, do we need to start a new thread, or is there an exemption to the resurrection rules?
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2021-03-09 at 08:34 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Recent updates.

Load Bearing -- https://www.yesthievescan.com/thievescant-comic/load-bearing-pg1/

Starfall Pt2 -- https://www.yesthievescan.com/thievescant-comic/starfall-part-2-page-1/
    Are those links intentionally broken? They seem to have been formatted to look like links without actually having the link code?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

They were copied right out of the URL bar, I just formatted them so they didn't turn into the default barely-visible formatting.

I'll fix them.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

I liked the glimpse of the players themselves... we get a bit more characterization than I expected.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

I liked the glimpse of the players themselves... we get a bit more characterization than I expected.
    Readers have been piecing together which character belongs to which player.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

I guess the creators were struggling a bit with such a long arc.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

The Hobgoblin -- https://www.yesthievescan.com/thievescant-comic/the-hobgoblin-and-you/
    The Mimic -- https://www.yesthievescan.com/thievescant-comic/better-know-a-monster-the-mimic/

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

The original roster of monsters was great for screwing with players... there's more gold in them there hills.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The original roster of monsters was great for screwing with players... there's more gold in them there hills.
    Trying to think of good objects for mimics to duplicate. Unfortunately, my first thought is chamber pot, but that still leaves the issue of getting away afterwards. That likely won't be subtle.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

There's the monster that disguises itself as a ceiling (usually over an isolated chest), then drops on the party. Roll initiative, then roll to dodge. If you don't dodge, roll a saving throw. If you fail the saving throw, you die in two rounds. If you make the saving throw, you die in four.

...That was the gist of it. I have my old Monster Manual nearby, but I forgot the name, so that doesn't help.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

There's the monster that disguises itself as a ceiling (usually over an isolated chest), then drops on the party. Roll initiative, then roll to dodge. If you don't dodge, roll a saving throw. If you fail the saving throw, you die in two rounds. If you make the saving throw, you die in four.

...That was the gist of it. I have my old Monster Manual nearby, but I forgot the name, so that doesn't help.
    Sounds almost like a piercer, or a cousin of them. Perhaps a Deepmantle.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Trying to think of good objects for mimics to duplicate. Unfortunately, my first thought is chamber pot, but that still leaves the issue of getting away afterwards. That likely won't be subtle.
    Haven't you ever read the story of The Magic Pot?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Sounds almost like a piercer, or a cousin of them. Perhaps a Deepmantle.
    Oops, I forgot to reply. It was a green slime, which can deliberately wait in ambush. The 1st edition Monster Manual says, "They are sensitive to vibrations and will often drop upon passing creatures from above."