New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: My webcomic "Thieves can't"

Bump with a link: http://www.yesthievescan.com/

The creators are currently running a poll on what type of story arc to run next (the link is below the current comic), if anyone wants to vote.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The comic is quite fun so far (I'm still in the tavern). Well done. I will follow this one
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Bump with a link:

The creators are currently running a poll on what type of story arc to run next (the link is below the current comic), if anyone wants to vote.
    Just popping in to say that the Spelljammer Setting was the vote winner. I'm working on it now. =)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Thieves Can't -- Patron Ain't.

Candor is best tiefling.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-10-12 at 04:41 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Dark and Foreboding

"It's what we do."

AKA, the path of most resistance.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Skulls... and running...

Which is more meta?
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-11-19 at 11:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Hey, I'm new here, just digging around. Your comic is outstanding, I really love the art style.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadToRide View Post
    Hey, I'm new here, just digging around. Your comic is outstanding, I really love the art style.
    Thanks so much :)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Hello fellow fan.

Thieves Can't has a sub, and Bart (the writer) is active there as well -- if you're on reddit stop by and say hello there too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thievescant/

Same question here as I asked there -- which is really more meta?

Candor using in-character knowledge to make a decision that avoids her (the character's) potential death?

Or Renauldo setting a high bar for what counts as "in-character" knowledge so as to avoid leaving and grab the loot the player wants?
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-11-20 at 01:31 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yes_Thieves_Can View Post
    Thanks so much :)
    Hey, didn't see you there -- you must have posted while I had the REPLY screen open putting my post together.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Hello fellow fan.

Thieves Can't has a sub, and Bart (the writer) is active there as well -- if you're on reddit stop by and say hello there too.
    Oh, rad. Yeah I'm on reddit, I'll pop over there and check it out. Gotta set aside a good chunk of time to get caught up on your comic.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Starts reading, sees darkest dungeon reference, dies laughing XD

Love what I'm reading so far!
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, rad. Yeah I'm on reddit, I'll pop over there and check it out. Gotta set aside a good chunk of time to get caught up on your comic.
    I can't take credit for it -- that would be Bart (posting here as Yes_Thieves_Can) and the artist Zach (etchant here, I think).

Just a reader trying to help them get a little more exposure.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Weight a Minute...

Spoiler: Go read it first!
    Show

Gravity... proof that DMs can suck.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Now that people have had a chance to read this week's installment, some fan commentary.

You have read it, right?

Good.

Moments like these, I file under “as a DM, assume most characters are not in fact stupid, inept, and ignorant”. Even if the players don’t think of it, the characters were clearly concerned about how much the bridge could withstand, and they’re right there in the “fictional world” looking at the bridge and at their hulking compatriot. This doesn’t require a narrative approach or anything (for those allergic to such), just treating the characters as “people-who-could-be-real” in a "world-that-could-be-real".

To me these “gotcha!” moments tie back to an older approach to RPGs that treated the PCs as “playing pieces” for the players in a “freeform boardgame”.

As a GM, I'd give the characters more of a chance to realize that tanky mctankerson might put more stress on the bridge than other characters, and maybe more importantly, that crossing together is not the same as crossing one at a time.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-11-27 at 09:41 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah, it's hilarious in this format, but can be really frustrating otherwise.

I made a goof of being a wizard in a room that flooded, and didn't specifically dictate that I stashed my spell book somewhere outside the room. Ended up losing a good chunk of spells, and had to rescribe them.

I realise I made a goof, but I would think an individual whose power depended on a bundle of paper would guard things better, much like the above example.

Maybe within 5e, use Inspiration to counter gaffs like this?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Plummeting Home Value

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, every adventurer should have PJs in their kit.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-12-03 at 12:34 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh heeeey, it's SHOVEL knight! I've been looking for this comic since I saw that one page!
    "Fried goblin corpses. Magical defenses. Bad adventurers. Bad!"
    "But what do we find though?"
    "DAMAGE. You found DAMAGE."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redjinx View Post
    Oh heeeey, it's SHOVEL knight! I've been looking for this comic since I saw that one page!
    "Fried goblin corpses. Magical defenses. Bad adventurers. Bad!"
    "But what do we find though?"
    "DAMAGE. You found DAMAGE."
    They'll be happy to know you found them.

Drop a comment under the most recent comic, and/or in their subreddit.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Raising The Roof

There's something familiar about this plan...

22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground

Finally got around to reading. Classic D&D humour and pretty good art., will definitely keep reading it. =)

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Keepin it real, bro.

Monday update is up, on this date.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Firbolg in the Playground

What I've read so far is good
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Finally got around to reading. Classic D&D humour and pretty good art., will definitely keep reading it. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    What I've read so far is good
    Welcome aboard. Bart and Zach will be happy to hear it.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by davidwolsom View Post
    There's no reason those of us with link privileges can't just post the link, is there?
    I've been linking to the updates each week.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

28. - Top - End - #58
    Banned

Googling thieves can't or going to ramen-empire.com will get you there. Sorry for the inconvenience.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

"But I Monologued!"

The character creation back-and-forth here is... familiar.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground