New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My webcomic "Thieves can't"

Thieves Can't Avoid Tangents...

Or cut the chord.
    Or square the circle.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    That's a show I haven't thought of in a looong time.

As for what an adventuring party can do with that much propane? The world's largest fireball, if you go by R.A. Salvatore's The Orc King.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    That's a show I haven't thought of in a looong time.

As for what an adventuring party can do with that much propane? The world's largest fireball, if you go by R.A. Salvatore's The Orc King.
    Or the world's loudest lock pick.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Or the world's loudest lock pick.
    One hell of a Knock spell

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Thieves Can't Take Shortguts

My knack for coming up with punny unofficial titles came up short this week.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Thieves Can't Take Shortguts

My knack for coming up with punny unofficial titles came up short this week.
    Don't worry, I won't kick you while you're down.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Thieves Can’t say “Noooooooooooo!”

Spoiler
    Show
    Beholders can’t digest paper.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Thieves Can't Take Things So Literally.

PS, there's something extra being added to their website.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-06-19 at 09:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    As for what an adventuring party can do with that much propane?
    Unfortunately, for most parties, the answer is either torture or a circumstance bonus to an intimidate roll for any given object or substance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Thieves Can't Take A Long Rest

Or...

Thieves Can't Bear It.
    Thieves Can't Sleep.
    Thieves Can't Come Down.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Just started reading this.
    This is beautiful, art is very nice, humor is largely spot on thus far.
    How long until I'm this good
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Just started reading this.
    This is beautiful, art is very nice, humor is largely spot on thus far.
    How long until I'm this good
    I forwarded a link to your post to Bart and Zach (the guys who make the comic).

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Thieves Can't Believe it's Not Butter...

Butter for the butter god, skulls for the lobster throne.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

As someone with problems with gluten, I think the Gluten-Pox adventure is a bad idea, unless you want the players to ask if Dragonborn can vomit and breathe acid at the same time or try to make the halflings into poop cannons.

Never give the players anything you don't intend for them to weaponize or use for questioning.

The Kuo-Tua also have the same problem, because the comic doesn't address the issue of the bard trying to become a god.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    As someone with problems with gluten, I think the Gluten-Pox adventure is a bad idea, unless you want the players to ask if Dragonborn can vomit and breathe acid at the same time or try to make the halflings into poop cannons.

Never give the players anything you don't intend for them to weaponize or use for questioning.

The Kuo-Tua also have the same problem, because the comic doesn't address the issue of the bard trying to become a god.

It just occurred to me that the Gluten villain should have had the first name Vladimir.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Figured I'd ask this here as well:

Does a god created by the Kuo-Toa collective power reflect its actual purpose and history, or their frightful misperceptions of it?

Is that lighthouse still going to act as a protector of ships and sailors, a beacon to the lost, as it was before… or is it going to be a baleful towering form with an unblinking searching eye of fire and a mind-shattering mournful voice that stomps across the shore spreading the same terror it always caused the Kuo-Toa for all those decades?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Given that the physical form can be fairly 'random and nonsensical', I assume that the godly powers follow suit. So that lighthouse god could be a god of fertility and pleasure or whatever the DM wants to throw at their players.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Good stuff! Great art and writing. Only thing is is the comic / website a bit blurry for anyone else? It seems like its scaled up too much to me.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Happygiraffe View Post
    Good stuff! Great art and writing. Only thing is is the comic / website a bit blurry for anyone else? It seems like its scaled up too much to me.
    Some elements, including the main image, auto-size across a wide range of sizes depending on screen size.

Shrink your browser down to half your screen size and see what happens, if it looks different.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Some elements, including the main image, auto-size across a wide range of sizes depending on screen size.

Shrink your browser down to half your screen size and see what happens, if it looks different.
    Yeah I have a weird wide-screen maybe its me. Site looks great on a phone though which is probably the instrument of choice for most people anyway :)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Thieves Can't Be Lycanthropes

Also, Keelie is Unbearable.

Words every GM has had to utter at least once — “I don’t care if you rolled a 20….”

I'm afraid I missed an updates, so there's also: Thieves Can't Be Reincarnated
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-07-22 at 09:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Thieves Can't Abandon A Patient...

...they took the hypocritical oath.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Thieves Can't Reach the Cookies

You must be this tall...

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Thieves Can't Reach the Cookies

You must be this tall...
    ..so while the implication is that this is supposed to be an easy puzzle, I feel like it's actually one of those 'Communicating poorly is not the same as being clever' things. There isn't enough information provided to tell what the actual goal of the puzzle is or how you are intended to submit your answer to the implied question.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..so while the implication is that this is supposed to be an easy puzzle, I feel like it's actually one of those 'Communicating poorly is not the same as being clever' things. There isn't enough information provided to tell what the actual goal of the puzzle is or how you are intended to submit your answer to the implied question.
    Legit concern.

What we see in the strip works for the joke (at least, I laughed), but if we take it seriously I'd want to hear/read the full description that the GM gave to the players before making a judgement.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Nicely done!
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Thieves Can't Commit to a Character Concept

Looks like Starjammer Upcoming.