New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Easy and Amazing Samurai Fix

So some people will call me crazy for what I am about to propose but I found that this made the samurai easily stand out without adding some crazy new mechanic or a long-winded bonus feat selection. I always liked the samurai but they never quite managed to be as good as a good ol' fighter or barbarian in the melee arena. Though I'll hand it to the fixed version on brilliantgameologists which also handled very smoothly and allowed them to travel down different avenues.

Anyhow, I decided to simply grant them something unheard of. Excellent base attack bonus. This was simply giving them Base attack bonus equal to 1.25 their samurai class level (+5 at 4th level, +10 at 8th level, +15 at 12th level, +20 at 16th level, and +25 at 20th level). This gave them superior accuracy in melee without giving them more flexibility and strength, although paired with power attack made for devastating strikes. This also allowed them to qualify for feats and some prestige classes earlier than other classes and a whole extra attack during a full attack action as early as 17th level, +21/+16/+11/+6/+1. However the base attack bonus itself deterred the player from even wanting to change classes ;P Now, proceed with telling me why this sucks or is broken. I've read so many things on here and enjoy hearing the detailed break downs of classes and homebrews :) be gentle please <3
    Last edited by artimus261; 2017-02-08 at 10:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Easy and Amazing Samurai Fix

Quote Originally Posted by artimus261 View Post
    So some people will call me crazy for what I am about to propose but I found that this made the samurai easily stand out without adding some crazy new mechanic or a long-winded bonus feat selection. I always liked the samurai but they never quite managed to be as good as a good ol' fighter or barbarian in the melee arena. Though I'll hand it to the fixed version on brilliantgameologists which also handled very smoothly and allowed them to travel down different avenues.

Anyhow, I decided to simply grant them something unheard of. Excellent base attack bonus. This was simply giving them Base attack bonus equal to 1.25 their samurai class level (+5 at 4th level, +10 at 8th level, +15 at 12th level, +20 at 16th level, and +25 at 20th level). This gave them superior accuracy in melee without giving them more flexibility and strength, although paired with power attack made for devastating strikes. This also allowed them to qualify for feats and some prestige classes earlier than other classes and a whole extra attack during a full attack action as early as 17th level, +21/+16/+11/+6/+1. However the base attack bonus itself deterred the player from even wanting to change classes ;P Now, proceed with telling me why this sucks or is broken. I've read so many things on here and enjoy hearing the detailed break downs of classes and homebrews :) be gentle please <3
    same idea for diffrent reason so great minds think like each other i like to see your wording for excelent bab
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Easy and Amazing Samurai Fix

That's elegant.

Gives me an idea for a Soulborn fix: 1.5 essentia progression.