New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Gaining 60 ft blindsense Chain Warlock does this work?

Downside of an Imp or Quasit is they're evil creatures. That may not be acceptable to the party.

Edit: Of course you can change that with 10gp and 10 min, so not really that big a deal.
    Last edited by Tanarii; 2017-02-11 at 09:06 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Downside of an Imp or Quasit is they're evil creatures. That may not be acceptable to the party.

Edit: Of course you can change that with 10gp and 10 min, so not really that big a deal.
    By RAW, nothing stops you from having a fey imp/quasit or a celistal imp/quasit with find familiar.
    And they are pretty much undetectable from normal animal/familiar when in animal forms (both are shapeshifters).

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Another reason I believe GoTM isn't such harsh competition for VotCM is that, not only GoTM doesn't let you speak through the rogue, GoTM doesn't let you speak to the rogue either. You can't play mission control, only a passive witness of the scouting. And since you have to stay blind and deaf to your own surroundings the whole time, you can't do anything beside sitting in contemplation of the rogue's adventure.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Addaran View Post
    By RAW, nothing stops you from having a fey imp/quasit or a celistal imp/quasit with find familiar.
    And they are pretty much undetectable from normal animal/familiar when in animal forms (both are shapeshifters).
    The stats for Impa and Quasits are in the PHB. They are evil creatures.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

The stats for Impa and Quasits are in the PHB. They are evil creatures.
    The Celestial/Fiend/Fey spirit you summon with the Find Familiar spell (whether you're a Chain Warlock or not) is not actually whatever it takes the form of. So whilst it might look like an Imp, Quasit, Rat or Bat, it's not one. Even if you choose your familiar to be a Fiend, it doesn't have to be Evil (though that should be an extreme rarity).

edit: Of course, the semantics of what it is or isn't in truth has little bearing on what it's perceived to be by others.
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2017-02-11 at 10:44 AM.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Hi guys!

Thank all for very interesting thread.
    Made me just realize there is two interactions unclear for me.
    - Can a familiar wear some equipment, provided he has the physical ability to do so?
    - Can a familiar cast spells from equipment if he has innate spellcasting ability?

The idea that popped into my head was to make an Imp familiar equip a Ring of Spell Storing (is that the right name?) and use spells in different ways: Healing Word and order to accompany scout into dangerous mission, AOE spell to create a nasty diverstion when we prepare an attack, Invisibility or Silence to set up in/exfiltration etc...

Sorry if question is trivial but I never had really a chance yet to play with both familiar and magic equipment at the same time. ^^

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    The Celestial/Fiend/Fey spirit you summon with the Find Familiar spell (whether you're a Chain Warlock or not) is not actually whatever it takes the form of. So whilst it might look like an Imp, Quasit, Rat or Bat, it's not one. Even if you choose your familiar to be a Fiend, it doesn't have to be Evil (though that should be an extreme rarity).

edit: Of course, the semantics of what it is or isn't in truth has little bearing on what it's perceived to be by others.
    It uses the stats of the creature. Except as noted (e.g. The type). The stats of the creature include the alignment. Imp and Quasit Familiars absolutely are evil, unless the DM makes a house-rule.

And your edit is also right on the money. How the creature behaves on its own is one thing. But how it's perceived it also really important. Possible more important.
    Last edited by Tanarii; 2017-02-11 at 10:52 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Can a familiar wear some equipment, provided he has the physical ability to do so?
    Any creature can wear equipment, at the DM's discretion. It is assumed that the sprite comes with its own miniature longsword, shortbow and leather armor. The Invisibility action shared by the imp, sprite and quasit refers to equipment they wear or carry.

Can a familiar cast spells from equipment if he has innate spellcasting ability?
    I don't know of any familiar with Innate Spellcasting. But I also don't think that's required for casting spells from magic items.

It uses the stats of the creature. Except as noted (e.g. The type). The stats of the creature include the alignment.
    That would allow a neutral good fiendish sprite.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

It uses the stats of the creature. Except as noted (e.g. The type). The stats of the creature include the alignment. Imp and Quasit Familiars absolutely are evil, unless the DM makes a house-rule.
    By technicality you are correct; the stats of the creature are used (barring its Type) and Alignment is technically part of a creatures stat-block. However, it's a bit of a stretch to say it's a full-on house-rule (i.e. the sort of thing you have to bring up before even starting a game) to say that a Celestial familiar spirit in the form of an Imp doesn't have to be Lawful Evil; it definitely isn't an Imp, so why should it abide by its forms' behavioural norms? I can see an argument for it; "function following form" and all that, but I can also see the other side of the coin where a Good aligned Warlock might want a "Imp" form familiar with a...fluffier, more angelic aspect (even appearance). House-rule? Yes, I suppose, but I think only an unreasonable GM would not allow for it.
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2017-02-11 at 11:19 AM.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    House-rule? Yes, I suppose, but I think only an unreasonable GM would not allow for it.
    Interesting. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to require the stat block Alignment for warlock familiars. Although I'll undercut my own point by also pointing out the MM explicitly says 'go ahead and change a creature's Alignment if you want' in the introduction.
    Last edited by Tanarii; 2017-02-11 at 11:31 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Interesting. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to require the stat block Alignment for warlock familiars. Although I'll undercut my own point by also pointing out the MM explicitly says 'go ahead and change a creature's Alignment if you want' in the introduction.
    The only reason I'd consider it unreasonable is because Alignment is such a poorly defined thing in the first place. Further, given the nature of the creature types in question (i.e. Celestial, Fiend and to a lesser extent Fey) and their ties to particular Alignments (Good, Evil, Chaotic, respectively), it's very much a juxtaposition when you have a Celestial Imp that must be Lawful Evil, despite the creature type stating such a thing as being a "horrifying rarity" or the Fiend Sprite that must be Neutral Good being "almost inconceivable".

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Interesting. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to require the stat block Alignment for warlock familiars.
    Again, how would you deal with the sprite? It says neutral good on the stat block.

Although I'll undercut my own point by also pointing out the MM explicitly says 'go ahead and change a creature's Alignment if you want' in the introduction.
    I wonder if that has already been pointed out in the ongoing discussion on necromancy.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    I don't know of any familiar with Innate Spellcasting. But I also don't think that's required for casting spells from magic items.
    That all depends on the attunement requirements of the item in question, e.g. a Wand of Magic Missiles can be attuned by anyone.

The FF spell just gives a spirit form. It specifically says recasting the spell causes the familiar to change form. So if the warlock first picks a celestial sprite and then later recasts the spell to change the form of the exact same spirit into a celestial imp, you suggest that its alignment changes? I guess that can technically happen by the rules but then alignment becomes even more meaningless than it already seems. The fact that the familiar obeys you unquestioningly also makes its alignment seem pretty irrelevant.

So what about the command "Change your alignment to CG and behave accordingly at all times."?
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-02-11 at 12:28 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    So what about the command "Change your alignment to CG and behave accordingly at all times."?
    That's not a command, it's trying to shortcut a series of commands on a huge variety of unrelated topics into one instruction. No way I'd let a player get away with that with a familiar.

Edit: I'm giving you leeway and assuming instead of 'change your Alignment to CG' the PC uses some appropriately descriptive substitution, since otherwise the command would be meaningless to an in-game creature. It's like saying 'change your class to Rogue' or 'change your proficiency bonus to +2'. It's both debatable it's possible to do that willingly, but more important a meta rule that doesn't exist as explicit thing in-game.

Edit2: besides, when it comes to Familiar Alignment, it doesn't matter what the player thinks it is, so much as what the DM thinks it is. Because it's what it does when NOT following the PC commands that matters. And that's the DM choosing the NPC creatures actions, not the player.
    Last edited by Tanarii; 2017-02-11 at 12:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It would be interesting to see Crawford's take on that. Seems it's more likely to be something they missed then RAW being RAI.

Like Dalebert mentioned, it seems weird that by changing the shape of your familiar with a second casting, you're changing his alignment. From LE to CE to NG to unaligned of normal beasts.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing says it has to retain its same mindset & outlook when you re-cast the spell.

Similarly, creature types celestial, infernal & fey don't, to my knowledge, have any associated Alignments in 5e. Whereas specific creatures all do. However, I acknowledge that the reason most creatures of a type are within a specific Alignment range is because an implicit association. Plus, y'know, tradition.

Although I question if changing creature types for chain warlock's special familiars is even allowed. (Edit: what I mean is I don't have the warlock text in front of me, so I don't know how closely it hews to find familiar, which does allow it for the animals.)
    Last edited by Tanarii; 2017-02-11 at 01:32 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Although I question if changing creature types for chain warlock's special familiars is even allowed. (Edit: what I mean is I don't have the warlock text in front of me, so I don't know how closely it hews to find familiar, which does allow it for the animals.)
    It definitely is. The warlock feature gives them access to FF as a ritual and simply adds the additional types as form choices for the warlock.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    It definitely is. The warlock feature gives them access to FF as a ritual and simply adds the additional types as form choices for the warlock.
    Alrighty then. I remove my obstreperous objections.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    I'm trying really hard to find value in Pact of Chain. It's just really hard.
    You have access to familiars that can turn invisible (imp, quasit, sprite), give you a rudimentary form of group telepathy (pseudodragon), detect emotion with a possibility to detect alignment (sprite), shapechange to other forms of familiars (imp can change into rat raven or spider; quasit can change to bat centipede or toad), opposable thumbs if your dm is stingy about letting your familiar administer potions and goodberries.

Voice of the chainmaster increases the range of the telepathic bond to the entire plane. This means you can map out the entire dungeon with all obvious encounters before you step foot in the dungeon. This is like an infinite duration improved version of arcane eye (4th level spell with 1 hour duration) because you can hear audio and even steal small items during the scouting mission.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: Pact of the Mod gives us all 60ft Necrothreadsense
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)