New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lightbulb New Feat: Born Scholar

'Born feats' are feats you can take only at first level, at character creation. The first 'born feat' I invented allowed me to play a paladin/stand up comedian.

The second 'born feat' made me a liar. (Although I'm not so sure that was as popular, or functional.)

Born Scholar opens up avenues of research previously unavailable to the more martial classes.

Born Scholar
    Benefits:
    Pick three knowledge skills. They permanently become in class skills for you.

OR

I was considering a variant for this. Rather than picking three knowledge skills, you get three other intelligence based skills. However, I'm not sure which ones would be most apropos. Maybe spellcraft? Maybe decipher script? Maybe, umm, appraise ?

Knowledge skills are powerful. I find it rather unfortunate that so few classes get knowledge (architecture and engineering). Heck, the only two base classes that get them the ones that get all of them .

This feat could be very handy if you want to prestige into an occult slayer. (Complete Warrior, page 66.)

I'm just not sure about what the benefits should be. I like the "pick three knowledge skills," so I think I'll stick with that. The other intelligence based skills don't seem appopriate for this feat.

What do you think?
    If wishing for an apocalyptic zombie infestation is wrong, then I don't want to be right. (Not an actual quote, but true to me .)

With enough kinetic force, you can solve anything.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New Feat: Born Scholar

I quite like it. I do think that Skills should be purchasable via Feats like Proficiencies in Weapons.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)