New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Maps with no table space suggestions?

I need to start building maps but I have a lack of table space I need suggestions on how to pull this off.

The reasoning why I need maps is I have 7-11 players per game and it is getting complicated keeping track of them all

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Maps with no table space suggestions?

Graph paper, pencils, and erasers are always a solid bet. It's not pretty, but the squares/hexes are vastly smaller than tends to work for most other options*.

*A coordinate system would work even better, but unless you can just read a bunch of coordinates and instantly visualize then it's not actually that helpful.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You could try propping up a whiteboard somewhere off to one side? Even better if you can find a magnetic one, but marker for positions works alright.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

You could try propping up a whiteboard somewhere off to one side? Even better if you can find a magnetic one, but marker for positions works alright.
    The cheap version's a bit of cardboard with a blank sheet of white paper glued on, covered with sticky back plastic. Or even one of those clear plastic envelopes that go in ring binders (which gives you the advantage that you can pre-draw your maps and just rotate around which ones visible).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you have a TV or large Monitor where you play, you can use any number of mapping tools on your PC/Laptop. I am using MapTool, running one instance (as server) on my laptop screen and one instance (as client) on a TV or projector connected as a second screen.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Have you tried persuading them (through trickery or bribery if necessary) to maintain close formations?
    Useful stuff on my blog:
    Arguing Alignments | Bathing in fantasy RPGs | How to win D&D

Reviews:
    Latest: "Lest Darkness Rise" (D&D 3.5, 7th level characters, Scooby Doo feel)
    Indexes of reviewed adventures: Free and PWYW (OSR) | Costing $2 or less (D&D3.x/Pathfinder)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foxolicious View Post
    I need to start building maps but I have a lack of table space I need suggestions on how to pull this off.

The reasoning why I need maps is I have 7-11 players per game and it is getting complicated keeping track of them all
    May be more money than you want to spend, but I use a pocket projector and a white wall when travelling, or a wall-mounted LCD at the house, and I hook it up to a Surface Pro (any laptop will do, though).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

You could just use a bulletin board, graph paper, and pins. It basically works the same as with minis, but everything is on a much smaller scale, thereby not taking up much table space.

9. - Top - End - #9

DwarfFighterGuy

With so many players it seems to me you need a solution that everyone can see - this means one of two things BIG and communal, or small and personal or shared in small groups.

For the first solution, you may want to go with a flat screen TV and use a computer/tablet to post an image of the battlemap to that device... icons for PC and monster locations can be moved on such using any number of software means (my choice is GIMP). Routinely I would opt to use GIMP, EVE (you'll have to google it since this forum won't let me give you the link goosee d o t c o m), autorealm and such for the task as described.

for those prefering a manual method, get some markers, get a big roll of holiday gift wrap (the back has 1" squares on them) and use stick it notes to move your PCs and monsters on the hand-drawn battlemaps. Using stickit notes means you can up-end the map and use no table space.

Alternately, keep the mapping on your privately held PC or tablet and wifi send the map to all those with devices around the table... a tablet can even be passed around so each player can see the current situation during their turn.

10. - Top - End - #10

GreataxeFighterGuy

All great ideas guys some expensive and some cheap and I just happened to have a bulletin board hanging around so a combination of a couple of these ideas

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This is what I do. It comes with the bonus of being relatively portable and usable just about anywhere, and doesn't do anything potentially permanent to any walls or anything.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”