New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default don't eat my brains!

We have an Illithid PC in our ECL 11 party who tells us he'll have no qualms about eating our brains.

As a wizard, my character would very much like to keep his brain. What items/spells should I always have up to keep me safe? I'd like to do this by
    1) not killing his character
    2) not getting killed
    3) minimizing party conflict

I'd like to demonstrate to this Illithid that humanoid wizards aren't to be trifled with, but continue working with him as equals rather than slave and master.

I should also mention that he has three PC thralls; a level 11 straight fighter, a level 11 cleric, and a thri-kreen that does good at throwing stuff, ECL 10 or 11. I would prefer to minimize conflict with these characters.

We're playing 3.0 core, though have many other 3.5 books.

We have complete arcane, the spell compendium, BoED, BoVD, LoM, Frostburn, a couple Eberron books, and the Draconomicon.

Items:
    The DM gave me a ring of evasion, which should help a little against his AoEs, though what I really want is a Ring of Freedom of Movement. That way, no grapples for me!

I need something that stops his mind blast, as that's absolutely devesatating. I think he's a sorceror 10 (or wizard 10?), who likes to use summon undead + undead buffing spells, as well as blasty-type spells. Are there any items that give me a continuous protection from evil spell? That would keep him out of my head and keep his summons from touching me.

Spells, defensive:
    Contingency+ what? I'd go teleport, except that we're on a ship, that he's captain of. Nowhere to really teleport. I'm thinking contingency + mislead. Then I run away/ DD somewhere safe while he interacts with my glamer. That way, depending on where we are, I can escape.

What spells are out there to keep me safe from an angry mindflayer?

Spells, offsensive:

I know he has some powerful item that protects him from mind-affecting spells. I'm wondering if it would be worth the dispel check to suppress it, then hit him with a Geas/Quest (no save!).

His saves are fort 8 to 10, ref 10 or 11, and will 17 to 20.

Ideally, I'd hit with a ray of enfeeblement, and then a ray of exhaustion. Unfortunately, the former allows a save in 3.0, and the latter doesn't exist. Squidface only has 14 str, so I could consievably put him to 0 str in a round, which in 3.0 kills him. Not that I want to kill him; just prevent him from killing me.

Dex damage could be another good way to go, namely shivering touch. Unfortunately, he has 24 or 26 dex.

I've got sculpt spell as a feat, so I could poorman's forcecage with wall of iron. Maybe solid fog and stinking cloud, followed by the ball of iron.
    Last edited by Tor the Fallen; 2007-07-22 at 11:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: don't eat my brains!

Not exactly helpful, but what's an Illithid with ten class levels doing in an ECL 11 group?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, mind blank will keep him out of your head in every meaning save the literal one...

How about a helmet?
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

4. - Top - End - #4

wait if he is a PC how does he have 10 level of sorcerer or wizard, mindflayer have start at like level 12 with hit dice and level adjustment?

I ask this so I can think something up and for clarity.
    [url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53501]

50 Unconfirmed Rumors About 4th Ed!

5. - Top - End - #5

MindFlayer

You *cannot* stay partied with an Illithid without conflict. It is in their nature to betray and such. Plus a wizard 10 illithid is not ECL 10-11, it's ECL 25.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I've read a lot about Mind Flayers, and I think your best answer is to kill him in his sleep. Or leave the party, or ask him to leave the party. It is self-destructive to play a character that's willing to kill and eat your party, and show him that, because though he may want to play a Mind Flayer, it doesn't work, flat out. :(

6. - Top - End - #6

First off, you have to play a game of deception. He has to know you're able to stop him, but if you tell him how you're going to stop him you're pretty boned.

I also have to agree with others. The mind flayer being ECL 10 is incorrect unless he's using some progression like those in savage species or something. Also, him being willing to eat your brains causes party strife and mistrust, slowing the game down because you as a wizard cannot be caught defenseless with a threat that powerful constantly around. Ideally, the party is supposed to bruise and batter each other, bt still have fun and work as a team when it comes down to it. Least for the games I play. Anything else, for me, slows the game down too much.

7. - Top - End - #7

Illithid... with thralls... on a ship. Is he supposed to be Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean?
    Veryn's Sliver, by Talfrey:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

Well, mindflayers are one of those races whose HD have associated casting; in the case of this particular one, he's sorceror or wizard, rather than psion.

So from what I can figure out, he's got 8 HD of illithid, followed by another 2 of caster. Still, he'd be what, ECL 17? We've done some serious powergaming in this campaign, though, as well as most of us having 20 or higher ability scores (ugh, don't ask), so it's a little closer. Also, also, we're really, really abusing the mechanics. I have an artificer cohort, for instance. The party psion is a thrallherd, the cleric has got divine metamagic. We're even using variant races. The thrallherd is a golden halfling; -2 str, +2 char, +2 int, small size, with a diplo bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Illithid... with thralls... on a ship. Is he supposed to be Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean?
    Yes. Except our ship flies in space.
    Also, the ship has some sort of creature trapped in it that pilots the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyphic View Post
    First off, you have to play a game of deception. He has to know you're able to stop him, but if you tell him how you're going to stop him you're pretty boned.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'd like to demonstrate that I can take him down, without informing him how I'll do it.

I also have to agree with others. The mind flayer being ECL 10 is incorrect unless he's using some progression like those in savage species or something. Also, him being willing to eat your brains causes party strife and mistrust, slowing the game down because you as a wizard cannot be caught defenseless with a threat that powerful constantly around. Ideally, the party is supposed to bruise and batter each other, bt still have fun and work as a team when it comes down to it. Least for the games I play. Anything else, for me, slows the game down too much.
    The mindflayer is certainly not ECL 10, not by a long shot.
    I think the major issue here is that I'm a little more interested in roleplaying, and the others don't care if they're thralls or not, since their characters are essentially "I hit the monster."

Anyway, is there anyway for a level 11 wizard to pose a threat to an Illithid with 10 caster levels?
    Ideally, he's a sorceror. That way, I'll learn what spells he's casting, and know his arsenal. If he's a wizard... I'll have to rely on cleverness.
    Last edited by Tor the Fallen; 2007-07-22 at 11:54 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Tor the Fallen View Post
    Yes. Except our ship flies in space.
    In that case, the easiest way is for you to challenge him to a game of dice. If you win, he doesn't get to eat your brain. Not the safest way, but the easiest.
    Veryn's Sliver, by Talfrey:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

You can pull a page from the dri**t books... Harkel Harpel beat an Illithid by using a specific use of Polymorph to replace his rear quarters with his brain and vice versa. Keeps your brain out of the cone of mind burst and gives him a very nasty surprise when he tries to go for the goods...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Unless he somehow loses his taste for brains, I see no way he won't try to eat yours.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

12. - Top - End - #12

Well, mindflayers are one of those races whose HD have associated casting; in the case of this particular one, he's sorceror or wizard, rather than psion.
    Mind Flayers don't have associative casting. Thay have some natural psi-like abilities, usable at will, but no associative casting. He's a Level 2 caster, at most.

So from what I can figure out, he's got 8 HD of illithid, followed by another 2 of caster. Still, he'd be what, ECL 17? We've done some serious powergaming in this campaign, though, as well as most of us having 20 or higher ability scores (ugh, don't ask), so it's a little closer. Also, also, we're really, really abusing the mechanics. I have an artificer cohort, for instance. The party psion is a thrallherd, the cleric has got divine metamagic. We're even using variant races. The thrallherd is a golden halfling; -2 str, +2 char, +2 int, small size, with a diplo bonus.
    Yep, ECL 17. Basically, you're protection vs him is that he doesn't understand the rules, and made his character too strong. If he tries to attack you, remind the DM, and his character is erased from time for being too overpowered!
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

13. - Top - End - #13

My question is, how the hell did he get 3 PCs as thralls?

Or better yet, how the hell did these PCs agree OOC to be his thralls?
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the thing to do is convince the Mind Flayer that it's useful having you all around even if you do have tasty brains. Because you kill all this other stuff, that may well have even tastier brains, and certainly you bring a large supply at the very least.

I mean you're adventurers after all.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

15. - Top - End - #15

The DM maybe just as defensive about the consistency of his story. Sudden paradoxes that erase the Flayer I wouldnt count on.

In your boots, I'd choose spells to incapacitate or somehow dominate the thralls that guard him then do the coup de grace in his sleep/trance/whenever he's vulnerable. Go to control his thralls in game and out of game remind the players how much juicy XP a flayer's worth, they've gotta be a little resentful of being slaves. If the DM has allowed thralling PCs, he may be open to PC killing.

It sounds like you want to simply protect yourself and not rock the boat (the space boat that is , is this Spelljammer?) but your lvl 10 mage to a ECL 17 illithid is red wine-marinated prime rib. By his power and influence over the group alone you're already his slave as I see it.
    Da Dominion: blog of belly laffs and a GM (Gamer Media) podcast. Sharp Humor for a Dull World.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

To eat your brains he has to grapple you, correct? Then contingency: shivering touch(without his knowledge, and preferably maximised), set for whenever someone successfully grapples you. 3d6 Dex Damage is nothing to laugh at(unless its someone else). Note this is defiantly a stretch on the normal rules, but with everything else that's going on in this campaign, it will probably pass. After all, you can always talk to the DM about this character when the others aren't there. He might not be completely firm on the rules if he's letting this thing in the campaign.

Or if you want to be proactive, wait for him to go to sleep, then cast shivering touch, and something to make sure his thralls can't get to you. Maybe wall of iron/stone/force/whatever. Or Rays of stupidity(intelligence damage), if your really mean.
    Last edited by MeklorIlavator; 2007-07-23 at 12:30 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Polymorph him into a squirrel.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

18. - Top - End - #18

*cough*the illithid is the DM's dad's character*cough*

19. - Top - End - #19

...Oh...

Guess thats why he can play a LA+15 creature (Regular Illithid +7, with another +8 since he gets Castinging added onto his racial HD as well. That is not normal, I promise you.)
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tor the Fallen View Post
    *cough*the illithid is the DM's dad's character*cough*
    Ah, the greater, though less well known version of the DM's girlfriend syndrome. If he's going that far, nothing you do will really matter. Unless you can talk to the DM out of game and bring this up.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mind Bank to keep your thoughts your own
    Assay Resistance to beat the spell resistance
    Spells to target his worst save and lower it
    Baleful Polymorph - even if it passes the the will save a Toad cant eat your brains
    Last edited by Leon; 2007-07-23 at 02:04 AM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

charm monster/person? ,or succesful diplomacy and tell him not to.

23. - Top - End - #23

If you use Baleful Polymorph on him while he's asleep he will be denied his will save entirely, thus allowing you to squirrel him. If you prepare a few other such spells, you can take care of the rest of the party as well. And then you can go find a new group.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

24. - Top - End - #24

Charm monster has a Will save, and if there's anything an ECL 17 caster has it's a good Will save. Baleful polymorph would have considerably better odds, especially if'n you start the fight with Con-weakening spells (and save the poly for that contingency).

EDIT: The guy above me has the right of it. If you want to do this, though, I'd see if you can slip some kind of contingency onto him while he's asleep. One command word and POOF-- he's a frog.

EDIT EDIT: Don't tell him about it, though; that would take all the fun out of it!
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2007-07-23 at 02:43 AM.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I second contingency/shivering touch. (Normally I would never recommend using shivering touch cheese, but if you're fighting critters 6 or 7 levels above you, you can't afford to be honorable.) However, since you aren't high enough level to contingency a maximized version, I suggest using the Contingent Spell feat and setting up two of them. He might survive 3d6 Dex damage if he's lucky, but the odds of his surviving 6d6 are slim to none.
    Last edited by Dausuul; 2007-07-23 at 07:20 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

contingency says the spell has to affect yourself, im pretty sure shivering touch wouldnt fall in under that.

as for offensive spells, i would recomend using a quickend if you can get your hands on a rod of quickening, then nuking him with a couple of orb spells.
    as it is he has to much spell resistance to be taken down otherwise.

but better yet, buy a scythe, and explain to him you have a contingency teleport, for getting away if he tries anything funny, and that you will come back later in the night then to coup de grace him with the scythe.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Over the course of however long it takes, set up a bunch of contingency spells, preferably ones that do heavy damage to structures and a dimensional anchor. Make the contingency you are no longer on the ship. Dimension Door off the ship to a friendly little inn. Your spells go off, the ship is destroyed, no one else can port out because of dimensional anchor, and there is no party strife because there is no more party. Have everyone else roll up new characters and go on your merry way.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cover every inch of the hull in Explosive Runes traps. I don't recall if they affect inanimate objects, but even if not, it'll hurt like no one's business. If they do affect objects, keep a quickened area version of Dispel Magic to set them all off at once.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Well....you could always just become a lich (if you are evil). Then, he can try to eat your brains as much as he wants....woun't affect you at all.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Contingent Teleport - when your grappeled you teleport (far far away), preferably so far that you end up out side of that game and find a new one where the DM isnt going to screw with the party by some favoring players over others(no matter what the realtion to the DM is)
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet