New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default What are the playground's favorite character names?

Simple questions, answer any that apply - what names are you drawn to most as a gamer? what are some of the character names you like to use the most? what kind of names do you or your DM love to keep in your name repertoire? alternatively what are the names of your most recurring characters(if you have any)?

Alternatively, what are some names you saw or heard that you thought "I have to use this one for a character"?

some names I like to base my character names on are Timothy, Sieger, Claus, Seth, Miguel, or Raul. For girls I like Alice/ia, Penelope, Odette, Rosemary, Merriam, or Shianne. I like to fiddle with those names when I want to use a nonhuman race.

for less common NPC races I sometimes mix and match syllables or base it on character motifs - Lyandis, Venoma, N'nilus, Flickie, Kroff, Nuurp.

what are some of yours? don't be shy.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2017-03-02 at 02:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: What are the playground's favorite character names?

I don't think I've ever used a character name twice.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I have fond memories of an obnoxious Tiefling rogue named Akkad.

Someday, I really wanna make a Warforged Bard (resembling Daft Punk more than a little) named 808.

Alternatively, name someone Obshchak Delirium and act like that's the most normal name in the world.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've used Keera more than once (both times were sort of the same character though, different builds of a Female Half Orc Barbarian/Ranger type).
    I've used Lylsyly several times for female fey characters (yeah, lil' silly).

Other than these, I can't ever remember using the same name twice (going all the way back to 1976) ... dang I'm getting old ;)
    Currently Playing: NICELA LASERIE (Neutral Good) Female Gray Elf Fire Souled Half Nymph Elven Generalist Wizard 20 /// PF Bard 1 / Paladin of Freedom 2 /PF Bard +17

AND .......

FERGUS MADROAR (Chaotic Good) Male Dwarf Half Earth Elemental

Cloistered Cleric (Hanseath) 5 / Divine Oracle 6 / Contemplative 9 /// Paladin of Freedom 20

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

those are good too :) the question is most about names you like/liked most than the rest of it. I'll clarify that in the OP now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghostshadow View Post
    dang I'm getting old ;)
    Beats the alternative!

I've used the name 'Sunshine' for a druid character a few times (two or three times, I think), but then, those characters were virtually the same, just transplanted to different campaigns.
    For NPCs I've used the name 'Vanariel' a few times, but always for quite minor characters.
    I like the name 'Edl' for strict but reasonable nobles, and though I'd have to look it up, I must've used it more than once for NPCs over the years.

I guess in general I don't use the same names very often, unless it's a family name and several characters have it because they're related.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

7. - Top - End - #7

For a time I made some of my favorite characters with alliterative double D names. I had a Darius Daymont and temporarily had a character I completely stole the name Dominic Deegan for. I later kept the name Dominic and applied it as Dominic Daymont for another character.

I have a naming convention for my paladins: I name them after Roman Emperors. My first was named Julius, my second Augustus, and one I think I named either Claudius or Marcus, and I believe I had a one shot named Octavius.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    "Insert God Name"'s + "Insert Offensive Body Part".
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    It is always ok to start in a tavern.
    as long as the tavern is ON FIRE.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I've noticed that I tend to name female characters after place names, especially Eastern European ones. Not really sure why, but it works for me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    I don't think I've ever used a character name twice.
    Same. What works in one setting isn't going to fly in another, especially if based on various fantasy counterpart cultures. I sometimes feel that the name must be chosen after character creation, to really give the thing a fresh start, even if it's my 50th time playing a wizard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

10. - Top - End - #10

I guess I must like my latest character's name, Novia. Was a name I used in several games and MMOs, often recreating the character's appearance as best I could, until I realised she'd be a perfect fit for the latest campaign we were preparing to play. In fact, it's who my current avatar is
    Last edited by Sajiri; 2017-02-22 at 05:10 PM.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Old Slavic names are some of the most metal proper nouns known to man, since they are easy to compound out of pretty great words.

For example, take Vladimir. It means world-ruler (from vladet' - to own, to possess, to rule - and mir - the world), and Vsevolod means much the same thing (vse - all, volod from the same root as vladet'). Mstislav (much less common name these days) means glorious avenger (from mest' - vengeance, and slava - fame, glory).

But then you can combine them and have Vladislav (fame-ruler) Some more words: Dobro- (good, right), Bori- or -bor (struggle), Brani- (cursing), Broni- or Gradi- (defender), Voi- (warrior), -mysl (thinker), -gnev (wrath), -polk (military leader).

There are a few of names that mean more famous/most famous/all-famous, in case you wanted to have a character who was a glory hound from birth - Vyacheslav, Vseslav, Boleslav, Vysheslav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Most names I use don't stand out - much the way most real names don't stand out, so it works out. Occasionally though the campaign has a tone where one can pick a name that's a bit odd but has some humor to it, and those tend to be more memorable. For instance, there was my fanatical anti-hero nature priest, Brother Hemlock. There was a player's monk from a bizarre order in a game I GMed, Silent Gecko Hunts Quietly. There was Qaelynaria, a name mostly notable because the name was picked to have an almost elven, elegant sound to it for a character who was very much not that and shortened it to "Nar".
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    those are good too :) the question is most about names you like/liked most than the rest of it. I'll clarify that in the OP now.
    Okay, and I'll clarify my answer ;)

Keera was 2 different builds of a Barbarian/Ranger type destined to be a Queen by Prophecy, one Gestalt/one Straight both used to amplify my reasoning on the protagonist of a fantasy novel I am working on.

Lylsyly (lil' silly), is my favorite fey personality for when I play a female fey, only twice with that name (you'll see why in a minute), whom I also have been toying with using for the novel. I have played the personality for a long time off and on, but have just decided recently to name it for what it is. When she went out scouting, she comes back and tells you about the flowers, animals she talked to, blah . blah . blech. All before telling you that there is a war party of ogres coming this way (usually instants before the ogres crest the hill :bigevilgrin:.

Last time I played Lylsyly she was a half pixie/half faerie dragon Gestalt with a very wrong number of Racial class on one side and Rogue alternating with Scout on the other, going into the swift ambusher role. She was the party scout and trap finder/breaker, and a pretty damn good archer as well. It was then that I fell in love with the name.

Next?
    Currently Playing: NICELA LASERIE (Neutral Good) Female Gray Elf Fire Souled Half Nymph Elven Generalist Wizard 20 /// PF Bard 1 / Paladin of Freedom 2 /PF Bard +17

AND .......

FERGUS MADROAR (Chaotic Good) Male Dwarf Half Earth Elemental

Cloistered Cleric (Hanseath) 5 / Divine Oracle 6 / Contemplative 9 /// Paladin of Freedom 20

14. - Top - End - #14

Yolo Swaggins, halfling.

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

One of my favorite names I've come up with for a PC has been Wreave, a human mercenary spellsword. I'm also sitting on an android character named Radius, after the character in R.U.R.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

My personal favorite was a paladin named Ho Lee, but the DM hated it. Most of my others are also pun names. The one exception to this rule was a charlatan monk named Emilio Aguinaldo (Aguinaldo was the leader of the Filipino army in the Philippine-american war. He has no thematic association with the monk, but I liked the name.)
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-02-23 at 01:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Same. What works in one setting isn't going to fly in another, especially if based on various fantasy counterpart cultures. I sometimes feel that the name must be chosen after character creation, to really give the thing a fresh start, even if it's my 50th time playing a wizard.
    Same, and even if it is another wizard it's not gonna be a similar wizard to one I've done before. Character ideas are easy and cheap, chances to enact them are expensive.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Years ago The Dragon Magazine had a list of names from different cultures, and from that list I'd usually pick Irish names like: Conall or Cormac, but I can remember omce picking the Slavic name of Andrik.

Now I pick Rolen d'Crits.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Some of my favorites:

• Praxagos Eudaemeis, Paladin: I decided to go with pseudo-Greek instead of pseudo-Latin or pseudo-medieval. It's a combination of praxis (doing/action), agon (struggle/contest), and eudaemon (good/benevolent spirit) and was constructed to reflect his quest to redeem his terrible past through good deeds and become a better man.
    • Wolfhame, Ranger: born with amber-colored eyes and gray-shot hair that resembled a wolf's pelt.
    • Finieous Fingers, Thief: borrowed from the comic strip of the same name, which I loved as a teenage gamer.
    • Sidereon, Ranger/Druid: from the Latin word meaning 'of or belonging to the stars' to reflect his nocturnal ramblings. I first used the name for my Night Elf Hunter in WoW and liked it so much I reused for my first 5E character. A complete social dunce, but as friendly and good-hearted as they come. Spoke with an incredibly broad English country accent like Daniel Hagman from the Sharpe TV movies.
    Last edited by oudeis; 2017-02-23 at 02:15 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I've always had a thing for Scandinavian names. Names that stand out include Lars, Baldur, Karl, Sigmund, and Rolf. For when they've had surnames, I've used '--son' and Norddahl a couple times.

21. - Top - End - #21

d20 Re: What are the playground's favorite character names?

I've mentioned this before but I've grown quite enamored towards the name of my current drow antipaladin/assassin, Variolus Baenre—her given name being taken from a species of black widow called the latrodectus variolus. To me it sounded sufficiently "elvish" and it fit their spider-themed matriarchy.

My favorite character, the human sorceress/archmage, Quintessa, was originally named after the Quintesson homeworld from the old Transformers cartoon—not very flattering to be named after a planet, but I thought it sounded elegant with a bit of mystery. As it turns out, the name also has a partial connection to alchemy (of which she's trained in) as well as physics, so that turned out to be an appropriate coincidence. Also thought the following quote was very fitting with regards to her vain, conceited, selfish, self-centered, egotistical personality:

"A pure or perfect example of a substance or entity."
    …on a related note I find the name, "Mordenkainen," very fun to say.
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

22. - Top - End - #22

I merge the Car Talk and Dave Ryder name lists.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Same. What works in one setting isn't going to fly in another, especially if based on various fantasy counterpart cultures..
    I have a player in my current campaign that uses the same character name for every character he plays in every campaign he plays. Regardless of setting, culture, time period.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    I guess I must like my latest character's name, Novia. Was a name I used in several games and MMOs, often recreating the character's appearance as best I could, until I realised she'd be a perfect fit for the latest campaign we were preparing to play. In fact, it's who my current avatar is
    Novia means girlfriend in spanish

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    I merge the Car Talk and Dave Ryder name lists.
    The many names of Space Mutiny have particular utility if you are going to run a combat scene against a large band of mooks.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by theasl View Post
    Novia means girlfriend in spanish
    It does, and I have learned that multiple times in PSO2 when teenage boys come up to me and say that spanish phrase asking me to be their girlfriend and think they're oh so funny.

However, it's also a Latin name that means Young :p

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

If you have not played Dr. Novia, a deep voiced evil doctor from South America I am severely disappointed in you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

I often try to look at the suggested names for a race and try to make one that sounds like that, unless I have a name that is also a pun, like my evil monk named Antem Iyagi (anti Miyagi).

Of course, I will never top the name I once gave to a bard NPC, Fellarius Bombasto.

29. - Top - End - #29

sophie uphelia moonscar. half elf
    my own poster name as drow
    victor/victoria aasimar
    orc thok crash and TUMEME for tumeme dont care
    human whatever i want.
    dwarf ive never bee a dwarf. i had some names to try tho
    Skully boyfriend's lead to skully wendigo weddings.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Yrdonsygg syggtryggvyrsedd
    Fake old english is simply the best

barbarian speak bold and never capital letter or second/first person pronoun just like comic man do!

GitP: the only forum where discussions get more brainy over time!