New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Extra Invocation Feat

Would a feat that allowed a warlock to take an Invocation be broken?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Extra Invocation Feat

I don't think so. Not generally.

Issues might be at level 1 if you are using a low level only campaign - variant human warlock can pick one up then. Even so the class wouldn't be overpowered.

Specifically I don't think it is broken for a warlock to get this, as that was the question you asked. Allowing another class to take a warlock invocation is a different question entirely.

For a warlock, the first few invocations are important and then the use drops off sharply as you meet your most urgent needs. For a warlock, of say class level 5+ it is pretty weak, weaker than a feat. If you put this prerequisite on it I would make it a half feat and give +1 Cha as well.

If you allow only a single level of warlock and this can be used to support multiclassing then this is potentially a lot stronger. Given you need to be a warlock to be eligible, you could get 2 invocations for just one more level than the minimum anyway so i think it would still be ok.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

No - See Complete Arcane page 79

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    I don't think so. Not generally.

Issues might be at level 1 if you are using a low level only campaign - variant human warlock can pick one up then. Even so the class wouldn't be overpowered.

Specifically I don't think it is broken for a warlock to get this, as that was the question you asked. Allowing another class to take a warlock invocation is a different question entirely.

For a warlock, the first few invocations are important and then the use drops off sharply as you meet your most urgent needs. For a warlock, of say class level 5+ it is pretty weak, weaker than a feat. If you put this prerequisite on it I would make it a half feat and give +1 Cha as well.

If you allow only a single level of warlock and this can be used to support multiclassing then this is potentially a lot stronger. Given you need to be a warlock to be eligible, you could get 2 invocations for just one more level than the minimum anyway so i think it would still be ok.
    I think an easy fix would be to make having invocations already as the prerequisite

Thanks for your feed back!
    Last edited by Mcdjangali; 2017-02-25 at 03:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaskus View Post
    No - See Complete Arcane page 79
    I should have been more clear. This is for the Warlock 5e. Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a Complete Arcane for 5e, right?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mcdjangali View Post
    I should have been more clear. This is for the Warlock 5e. Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a Complete Arcane for 5e, right?
    Correct. Complete Arcane was strictly 3.X