New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Villainous Competition XIX: He Slimed Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    What have you done? Now all my perfectly good rushing and stressing has been for nothing!
    I hear ya!
    Here I was all ready to rush through it today to complete it. Now that I know we have more time, I have much less drive to complete it today. :(

Time to slack off I guess
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Vaz approval for the best backstory. Villainous Competition 16: Burn Baby Burn
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=114

Honorable Mention Villainous Competition 22: I Am The Night
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...e-Night!/page6 Xihu Ayame

Click my Vulpix to feed it yummy berries!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Gah... finally got an entry in. I've been noodling around several ideas for the last month, but this'll have to do for now. Oozes are kinda my kryptonite, so I'm very curious to see what everyone else has cooked up.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

still finishing mine. I'm going to submit if it kills me. can't wait to see what everyone did.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

I'm just hoping this is one of those times Thurbane doesn't post the entries until about six hours after the deadline, because my Internet connection is about to stop working and won't be back on in time.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    I'm just hoping this is one of those times Thurbane doesn't post the entries until about six hours after the deadline, because my Internet connection is about to stop working and won't be back on in time.
    Grounds for a mild, roughly 6 hour extension?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    Unfortunately, due to time zone differences and the fact I'm about to leave for work, the reveal won't be until about ten hours time...

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gah! Finally. Admittedly, I'm very disappointed with my write-up compared to my previous entries, but I think this kind of villain will only work on an Ooze-themed round
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Gah! Finally. Admittedly, I'm very disappointed with my write-up compared to my previous entries, but I think this kind of villain will only work on an Ooze-themed round
    can't wait to see what you have. I'm just putting the finishing touches on my ooze.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Villainous Competition XIX: He Slimed Me!

Without any further ado, here's the reveal (6.5 hours late or so)

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING UNTIL I GIVE THE ALL-CLEAR

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Post The Living Darkness

The Living Darkness
    CE Anarchic Void Ooze Soul Eater 10

Spoiler: Story
    Show
    it is dark

so dark

why is it dark

what was before dark

i do not remember

there was something

but i dont remember

why dont i remember

i am trapped

high walls

no food

but mostly

it is dark

(The following excerpt was found scribbled in the margins of a spellbook belonging to the lich, Zilquik the Eternal. If taken from the Museum of Failed Villainy, please return it.)

53rd Allure, Year 603 of the Age of Pyre

I have done it! Those fools said I was not ready to do my own binding, that I should stick to Necromancy. Hah! What utter idiocy! The summoning was quite simple, the ooze wasn't even intelligent enough to resist my binding, and this isn't even my specialty. I'm keeping it in a pit for now, with the circle around it, and a grate over the top, there's no possible way it could escape. With it, I can keep myself fueled up with negative energy! With this, I have truly ascended past mortality! The world will learn to fear the name of ZILQUIK THE ETERNAL!

(The rest of the page is largely taken up by a rather exacting transcription of an evil laugh, and part of a ritual to 'Summon A Pie Fiend'.)

it is dark

a food came today

food was white and thin

and not right

i dont know why its not right

but it is i know it i know it

i could not eat

and so was bad

food badtouch me

i feel goodfeel leave my body

and go to food

i dont like it i dont like it

there is light where food is

and i want it

but mostly i want food

food leaves

it is dark

(This entry was found hastily scribbled on a coffee stained scroll of Magic Missile. We didn't think liches could even drink coffee.)

55th Allure, Year 603 of the Age of Pyre

It works! IT WORKS! This ooze, which I have decided to call D.A.R.K.N.E.S.S (which stands for Disposal And Removal of Kills and Negative Energy Supply Station!), let me refuel after clearing out the last remaining goblins that previously occupied this dungeons. What fools, how dare they stand in the way of ZILQUIK THE ETERNA- what's that? I think I heard something.

(At this point the text is interrupted by a crappy stick figure drawing of a skeleton cackling, with lightning striking in the background, drawn in blood. That would be adorable, if it weren't both sad and terrifying. Almost as sad as his acronym making skill.)

it is dark

but i do not care

i do not care

because i ate today

and it made me feel good

there was lots of noise

which was bad

and food came back

and did badtouch

but when badtouch was done

he gave whole food

this 'ad-ven-cher-er' was very good

and good and tasty and good

it made me goodfeel

i want more

i want more

i want more

i want more

i want more

i want more

it isnt dark

why isnt dark

(This text appears to be a continuation of the previous entry, written a few hours later on the other side of the scroll.)

Ahahahaha! YES! I just took out my first batch of adventurers! Apparently they thought this place was still occupied with goblins. FOOLS. They weren't expecting ZILQUIK THE ETERNAL!!!! Also, I found that if I fed the bodies to the D.A.R.K.N.E.S.S. (which is an awesome name, no matter what Brent says. You're just a zombie anyways Brent. IDIOT.) and it was much more willing to heal me and my minions. Now, where was I? Oh right. What fools, how dare they stand in the way of ZILQUIK THE ETERNAL!!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

(This is the last of the notes from Zilquik, for further information, see our audio transcription entry at 'FACESMASHER, ANGBAR, ADVENTURE 7' for his interview.)

it hasnt been dark for a while

there was lots of badnoise

untasty white food came

but something made him leave

the something food

took off grate

and looked at me

but left

mean

i want it

there is light and food out there

untasty white food is gone

and wont feed me

i want more

i want more

i want more

i want more

(The following is a transcription of the audio from one of our curators interviewing the Dwarven Crusader, Angbar Facesmasher, following the success of his 7th straight adventure.)

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

CURATOR: Now, Angbar, I've heard that you've managed to take out the 'dreaded' lich, Zilquik the Eternal. How ever could you have managed this task?

(Angbar and the Curator chuckle)

ANGBAR FACESMASHER: Well, heheh, I can tell ya it certainly wasn't anything special. Why, just a coupla' blows from my MIGHTY WARHAMMER was enough to get 'im to retreat.

CURATOR: Retreat?

ANGBAR: Well, basically. 'E ran off to this weird... magic circle in tha ground, surroundin' a grate, stuck his bony hand right in thar. Dunno what 'e was tryin' ta do, but I dragged him away and we finished tha job right quick. And of course, destroyed his phylact'ry as well. We aren't idjits.

CURATOR: Hmm. Did you ever figure out what this magic circle was?

ANGBAR: Kinda. Landon 'ad a look at it, said it was some kinda bindin' circle. I lifted the grate, 'spectin to find somethin' else to fight, but there weren't nothin' in thar. Just darkness.

CURATOR: Well, that certainly sounds disappointing. Much like Zilquik's villainous career.

(Angbar and the Curator chuckle)

CURATOR: Well that's all the time I have for today. Glad to see another successful contribution to our collection here at the Museum Of Failed Villainy. I hope to see many more such contributions from you Angbar, you've done quite well so far!

ANGBAR: HAHA! Aye, thank ya, and I certainly hope so as well!

END TRANSCRIPT

i leave the hole

there is light and good small food

i am big

why am i big

i can see me

i am not light and not food

and this is good

there is not enough me

and too much food

i must fix

so i eat lots of food

i get lots of big

some 'ad-ven-cher-er'

try to badtouch me

i food them

they are good

it isn't dark enough

i will make it dark

this is good

Spoiler: Ability Scores
    Show

Attribute Base Racial Level Total
    Strength 14 10 2 26
    Dexterity 12 -10 - 2
    Constitution 15 16 1 32
    Intelligence 8 Min 3 - 3
    Wisdom 13 -10 - 3
    Charisma 10 -10 - 1

Spoiler: Table
    Show
    Anarchic Void Ooze (10 HD) Soul Eater 10

CR Class BAB Fort Ref Will Skills Feats Class Features
    10 Anarchic Void Ooze +7 +3 +3 +3 Hide 9 (9), Knowledge (Arcana) 4 (2) Alertness, Weapon Focus (Slam), Willing Deformity Blindsight 60', Death Ward, Ooze Traits, Energy Drain, Energy Resistance, Engulf, Fast Healing 3, Shadow Shield, Smite Law 1/day, Split
    11 Soul Eater 1 +8 +5 +5 +5 Hide 1 (10) - Energy Drain 1
    12 Soul Eater 2 +9 +6 +6 +6 Hide 1 (11) Deformity (Teeth) DR 5/Magic, Fast Healing 5, Soul Strength
    13 Soul Eater 3 +10 +6 +6 +6 Hide 1 (12) - Soul Blast
    14 Soul Eater 4 +11 +7 +7 +7 Hide 1 (13) - Soul Enhancement
    15 Soul Eater 5 +12 +7 +7 +7 Hide 1 (14) Deformity (Clawed Hands) Soul Endurance
    16 Soul Eater 6 +13 +8 +8 +8 Hide 1 (15) - Soul Radiance
    17 Soul Eater 7 +14 +8 +8 +8 Hide 1 (16) - Energy Drain 2
    18 Soul Eater 8 +15 +9 +9 +9 Hide 1 (17) Darkstalker Soul Agility
    19 Soul Eater 9 +16 +9 +9 +9 Hide 1 (18) - Soul Slave
    20 Soul Eater 10 +17 +10 +10 +10 Hide 1 (19) - Soul Power

Total Skill Ranks: Hide 19, Knowledge (Arcana) 2

Spoiler: CR Breakdowns
    Show
    Spoiler: CR 10
    Show
    10 is the starting CR for this build. At this point the Living Darkness is just a simple, unadvanced Void Ooze (Planar Handbook pg. 126) with the Anarchic Template applied (Planar Handbook pg. 108). It has been bound by a lich as what amounts to a garbage disposal system/negative energy dispenser/backup plan. This is consistent with the description of Void Oozes in the Planar Handbook:

Some intelligent undead will cultivate a void ooze and use its negative energy touch to repair damage to themselves and their minions.
    At this point, despite being fairly annoying in its own right, it's more of a footnote to the actual encounter with its lich owner, or Filquik the Unliving in the example story. It can either work as a fight after the original fight, when the party is still drained from the previous encounter, or it can be saved for... later things, which I'll bring up in the next breakdown.

Alertness, Weapon Focus (Slam), and the Knowledge (Arcana) ranks are prerequisites to enter into Soul Eater at CR 11. Willing Deformity is more meant to represent how creepy and unnerving it is, at this point, and leads the way into further Deformity feats later in the build. And the Hide ranks... well, those will come up later.

Spoiler: CR 15 (Spotlight)
    Show
    And here we get to the meat of the Living Darkness' build, and why I chose these individual elements in the first place. First, there's the following ability of the Void Ooze:

Split (Ex): If a void ooze’s energy drain attack would increase its hit points to 200 or more, it instead splits into two void oozes, each with 100 hit points, as a free action. The new ooze appears adjacent to its parent. If no space is available, it cannot spawn on this turn (but will do so as soon as space is available).
    Split abilities are not unique to the Void Ooze, but the Void Ooze has the unique benefit of being able to trigger splits without any sort of 'cheese' being applied, or really any thought. Instead, it is caused by the most natural thing for it to be doing: attacking anything living. It doesn't have to attack itself with a slashing weapon, or use elemental attacks on itself, which an Int 3 creature would almost never do.

Then we get to the next quirk that makes the Void Ooze good for this, that is, the lack of scaling. If its Energy Drain attack (which, keep in mind, also includes the Energy Drain from Soul Eater, which is part of why I used it), increases its hit points to 200 or more, it splits into two. This works EVEN IF its base HP is more than 200, meaning that any attack at full HP will cause it to split. Technically it can pull this off from the start, but the rate is drastically increased by taking the Deformity feats (Clawed Hands effectively gives it better Improved Unarmed Strike, and Teeth gives it a bite) combined with Soul Eater's Energy Drain. At CR 15, the Living Darkness will have, on average, 277 HP when at full health, with the Soul Endurance boost, along with Fast Healing 5, DR 5/Magic, and the ability to gain a potential 30 Temporary HP a round, if all attacks hit.

Now, then we get to the last bit that makes the combo work: the Anarchic Template. The Anarchic Template can EXPLICITLY be applied to Oozes, unlike Celestial and Axiomatic, sharing this trait with Fiendish. And, as shown by the Fiendish Gelatinous Cube Monk, this was quite intentional. Why Anarchic over Fiendish? Simple. Fast Healing. With the ability to force splits very easily, the only other thing left to overcome is that it always leaves it at 100 HP, regardless of what it's at before. The easiest way to get around this, due to the Void Ooze's continuous Death Ward preventing Tomb Tainted Soul from working, is Fast Healing, which Anarchic neatly provides. This means that the Living Darkness can attack something from the darkness, split into a perfect copy of itself, run away, heal up, and repeat.

This effectively means you can have it show up exactly as often as you need it to. Whatever the party is capable of handling, you can throw it at them. In fact, the better the PCs are at beating this build, the more usable it becomes. You could have an entire campaign based around finding the original, or finding a way to eliminate all 'pockets' of oozes, as they spread across the campaign setting. It can be tailored to your exact needs. However, if you want a full analysis of what it COULD be like, that will be in the next analysis.

Spoiler: CR 20
    Show
    So at this point, it's assumed that your party has run into the Living Darkness a few times, at least a couple of them. Perhaps it's getting a little stale, maybe you want to mix things up a little. Well look no further than the 6th level ability of the Soul Eater, Soul Radiance. For your reference, have a handy transcript:

Soul Radiance (Su): If a 6th-level soul eater completely drains a creature of energy, it may adopt the creatures soul radiance, taking the victims's form, appearance, and abilities (as the shapechange spell) for 24 hours.
    Yes, that's Shapechange Shapechange. The 9th level, subject of many a banning and forum debate, Shapechange. Sure it's not exactly the full unlimited potential of the spell, but 'oh no, how terrible'. With this, literally anything the players run across can secretly be a victim of the Living Darkness. Its god awful mental stats are actually a boon here, giving the poor residents of this campaign world a pretty good shot at actually identifying whether something is real or not. And, speaking of bodies, there's also the 9th level ability of Soul Eater to take into account:

Soul Slave (Su): If a 9th-level soul eater completely drains a creature of energy, the victim becomes a wight under the command of the soul eater.
    Note the general lack of restrictions there. This means that pretty much anything can be either the Living Darkness, a thrall under the command of the Living Darkness, or an unrelated undead (as it pretty much ignores all undead due to not being food). For those of you who've read the Crystal Cantrips campaign journal, picture the end stages of the Drifter's occupation. Just... less hivemind-y. Again, this is adjustable to the needs of your campaign. It can either be a locally limited problem, or a global apocalyptic phenomenon.

Oh, and remember the Hide ranks? That I brought up in the CR 10 breakdown? Yeah, this is when they come into play. The Living Darkness' Shadow Shield ability effectively means that it's constantly in darkness, meaning it basically has Hide In Plain Sight, combined with its perfect flight and Darkstalker. This can add to the creepy tone of its encounters, and, while its hiding skills aren't great, and certainly not enough to fool a dedicated scout, it can easily use it to sneak into civilian settlements, and begin chompin' away. Or, well, schlorping away. There's really no good sound effect here.

To give you a good idea of how a single splinter fares, each fragment has an average of 364 HP, DR 5/Magic, Fast Healing 5, +4 to all physical stats, +2 to pretty much all rolls, constant concealment, the ability to shoot rays of soul energy, flight, the ability to bestow up to 13 negative levels in a round, and gain up to 65 Temporary HP from said negative levels.

Spoiler: FAQ
    Show
    An Anarchic Ooze, that seems weird? Isn't that just for mechanical effect? Why not use Sentry Ooze?

Primordial, chaotic oozes are a trope for a reason. Their mutability and protean nature lends them nicely to 'otherness', and the Anarchic Template feels like a good way to represent that. Additionally, the binding of 'Elemental Alignment' creatures (Anarchic, Axiomatic, Celestial, Fiendish) is standard procedure, and while messing with Limbo is a bad idea, it's better than either the Negative Energy Plane, or any of the Lower Planes. Not using Sentry Ooze is for two reasons. First of all, no fast healing. That's the most important part of the Anarchic Template. Second of all, having the Living Darkness with high mental stats would be kind of unfair and unfun from the perspective of the later parts of the build, once it gets Soul Radiance. Better to keep it as a 'zombie plague' equivalent, rather than a 'hate plague'. If you want a more horror themed campaign, you could use Sentry Ooze, but that's just an alternative option.

Anarchic doesn't really give an Int score, that makes no sense!

Hoo boy. Normally, I wouldn't exactly disagree with you. There's no real reason why being infused with chaotic essence would suddenly grant this blob the ability to think. But, and there is precedent for it, it works. The Fiendish Gelatinous Cube Monk shows that the Fiendish (and by extension, the Anarchic) templates do in fact provide mindless creatures with an intelligence score. It 'sets' the score, and doesn't add to it, thus it doesn't run into the 'adding a number to a - still makes -' clause. Additionally, it even proves that not being mindless doesn't take away the ooze's innate mind affecting immunity. That's just a function of Sentry Ooze.

What's with the Deformity feats? That seems kinda odd for a largely instinctual being.

While it does seem odd at first glance, I see it less an intentionally deformity of the self, and more of the Living Darkness attempting to mimic its prey. 'Oh hey, my food has pointy face bits for eating food, I want those!' 'Oh hey, they use sharp claw things to grab and hold food! Neat!' Being effectively a blob of primordial darkness, 'body' doesn't exactly mean much to it. If it decides it wants these things, it just... kinda happens. This is also what the picture is supposed to represent, which is why it's almost humanoid.

Hey wait a minute, was the story of Zilquik stolen from ToME?

Observant! But, I wouldn't exactly say stolen. One of my earlier ideas was to recreate Z'quikzshl, but I forgot that he was a skeletal mold, not a skeletal ooze like I thought. However, the lore dropped was amusing enough that I decided to base the 'example' villain off of it, in roughly the same style.

Spoiler: Sources
    Show
    Book of Vile Darkness - Deformity (Clawed Hands), Soul Eater
    Heroes of Horror - Deformity (Teeth), Willing Deformity
    Lords of Madness - Darkstalker
    Planar Handbook - Anarchic Creature Template, Void Ooze

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Post The Spellbirth

The Spellbirth

You approach what appears to be the Spellbirth, the creature rumoured to be the source of all magic. You don't know that you believe that, but it certainly looks the part, with whirls of arcane magic blurring around its amorphous form. In the centre sits a hole in the shape of a tiny, almost unassuming rat. Wait, a rat?

A moment later, that rat is a roaring - but invisible - dragon, and you begin to regret your life choices.

Spoiler: What it is
    Show
    The Spellbirth:
    Huge Neutral Evil Agender Sentry Living Wish Ooze 17/Sorcerer 1
    Ability Scores: 19/22/19/2/26/29 (Living spell and sentry ooze directly set all of your ability scores, and that's the result you get). All increases go to charisma, resulting in 19/22/19/2/26/33 as your ability scores at 18th level. Due to its ability to cast wish at will, it gets +5 to all ability scores, giving it 24/27/24/7/31/38

Word of warning: This build is kinda dumb. But it's fun dumb.

Here, have a nice table:

CR Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    19 Ooze 17 +12 +23 +20 +23 Spellcraft 20 Ability Focus (Spell Effect), Ability Focus (Engulf), Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Extend Supernatural Ability (ToM), Extend Supernatural Ability (ToM) AC Bonus (+9 deflect), Slam 1d8, Engulf DC 35, Spell Effect DC 35, DR 10/magic, SR 27, Save bonus (+9 resist)
    20 Ooze 17/Sorcerer 1 +12 +22 +23 +25 Spellcraft 21 Augment Summoning Spells (Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand and Prestidigitation 5/day, Mount and Tenser's Floating Disk 7/day), Summon Familiar (Rat)

To be clear, the rat familiar has 84 hit points and 18 effective hit dice, +9 natural armour and an intelligence of 14, as well as the alertness, share spells, improved evasion, empathic link, deliver touch spells, speak with master, speak with animals of its kind, spell resistance (23) and scry on familiar abilities.

Normally.
    Spoiler: So explain all of this to me, then...
    Show
    Right, living spell is a template that is applied to a spell. What? Okay, so basically it changes the spell into a creature, slaps a CR on it (the spell level, plus half the caster level, rounding down). It then triggers the spell effect on each creature you hit, and once per round on each creature you have engulfed (unlike a gelatinous cube, a living spell doesn't otherwise harm the creature you've engulfed). Sentry ooze just slaps some nice stat boosts on you and gives you an intelligence score so you're playable.

Where does the rat come in? Well, the rat can sit inside the living spell, soaking up a wish every round, and get some nice buffs. Polymorph Any Object is the obvious one, but greater invisibility and spell turning are also quite nice. Heal is useful if someone hurts your rat. Contingency probably doesn't work, but if it does you can slap a contingent heal or teleport on it.
    Spoiler: The Cult of the Spellbirth
    Show
    What's a villain without some mooks?

The spellbirth ought to be relevant before the CR 20 where it's actually fightable, so it's entirely possible to have "Spellbirth cultists" who go and deliberately seek out the spellbirth to see what spells it grants them. Because it can whack itself in the face with its own slam (the logistics of this are disputable when you're a cube, but it's certainly technically possible) it can make itself comprehend languages and hear the cultists out. You may hear tales of someone who wanted revenge on someone being greater teleported to them with an iron body spell active. All it wants in return is the cultists' undying loyalty. After all, it can teleport itself too, so you may find yourself in trouble if you betray it...

Eventually, there'll probably be a large presence of Spellbirth cultists, because "Any eighth-level arcane or sixth-level divine spell you can name" is too good to pass up, as well as the +5 to all ability scores which, for an ordinary person, is hugely important. Oh, and you can bring the dead back to life. That's nice too.
    Spoiler: Fight! Fight! Fight!
    Show
    So the PCs probably wanna fight this thing I guess. Good luck.

First thing they'll have to contend with is that you'll probably quickly PAO everyone on your side into a dragon. And then summon more creatures to PAO into dragons. They'll also have access to buffs like iron body if they need them. You'll then greater teleport away, because no-one likes fighting personally when you have minions to do it for you. That said, if you do just run over your enemies, they need a DC 35 reflex save to avoid you, a DC 35 save of your choice of fortitude or will against death if you do grab them, and an opposed grapple against +31 to escape. You can probably choose Prismatic Wall as the spell whose effect they're subjected to, causing them to take 120 points of damage, and two fort-or-lose effects, and two will-or-lose effects. It's a little unclear whether living spells - especially living wish - work like that, though.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Post The Talariic Abomination

The Talariic Abomination

NE Advanced Sentry Flotsam Ooze War Mind 5/Cleric of Shothotugg 3/War Mind +4

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    "Fragments of the Talariic codex have been found carved in buried skulls, engraved in stone slabs, and even worked in the design of potent magical glyphs. More often than not, these texts predate the known humanoid civilizations by millennia.

The obvious question then being:
    what wrote them?"

Deep beneath the earth, in dead cities older than the gods, the aboleth lie waiting. Immortal and patient, they know that one they their chance to rise and rule the world once more will come.

But sometimes, this patience suddenly melts away, and an aboleth sets about accomplishing something great. It becomes obsessed by the alien aboleth gods, trying to honor them in its own twisted ways. Often, it dies of starvation or exhaustion before completing their works.

The aboleth that created the Abomination was no different. It had filled a basin with acidic ooze. It had given it a mind, if only be fusing the minds of a hundred sacrifices together. It had imparted upon it some instinctive urge to kill, to maim, to grow stronger. And as it felt its consciousness fading, it threw itself into its creation, joining it in death the moment it was freed from domination.

The other aboleths tolerated the being. After all, it seemed content to slither through their caves and eat the occasional bat. Some aboleths even took a perverse pleasure in watching it slowly kill its prey, mauling their bodies until they could barely be called alive and only then dissolving them.

But as it continued to feed, the abomination slowly grew, and the aboleth became worried. After all, the Eater of Worlds was not known to spare any from its destructive urges: why would this imitation be any different? Certainly it was only a matter of time before the abomination would start to see them as prey, too.

Worried of what would happen if they killed or enslaved it, the aboleth lured the ooze far from their city, collapsed the tunnel behind it, and placed glyphs to prevent it from returning. And indeed, they never saw it again.

But as it hungrily wandered through passages unknown, the abomination noticed something new: light and warmth. Curious, it slithered towards these sensations.

It was then that the Abomination spotted a group of beings it had never seen before. Rather than crawl or slither, they walked upright on two legs, with two other limbs holding bits of metal and wood. Their skins were strangely colored and ill-fitting, their eyes small and vulnerable.

The Abomination attacked immediately. A pseudopod lashed out and took down several of the creatures, but more remained standing.

The Abomination's form tumultuous, it devoured several of the bats stuck to it. Stirred by the exhaustion of their minds, several more pseudopods sprouted and smashed into the remaining humanoids.

For a moment, the goo-covered monstrosity stood silent, observing these interesting new creatures. Then, it began to ooze up the passage they seemed to have come from.

Perhaps there'd be more food up there.

Spoiler: Ability Scores
    Show
    Starting array:
    STR: 15
    DEX: 14
    CON: 10
    INT: 8
    WIS: 13
    CHA: 12

Flotsam ooze adjustments:
    STR: 19
    DEX: 14
    CON: 22
    INT: —
    WIS: 3
    CHA: 2

Sentry ooze adjustments:

STR: 19
    DEX: 20
    CON: 22
    INT: 2

Advancement:
    STR: 43
    DEX: 16
    CON: 34
    INT: 2

The Abomination's 30 HD give it seven ability score increases. These are assigned as such:
    4: Intelligence
    8: Strength
    12: Wisdom
    16: Strength
    20: Strength
    24: Intelligence
    28: Strength

Final ability scores:
    STR: 47
    DEX: 16
    CON: 34
    INT: 4
    WIS: 14

Spoiler: Build Table
    Show
    CR Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    2 Flotsam Ooze +1 +0 +0 +0 - - Adhesive, 60 ft. Blindsight, Transparent
    4 Sentry Ooze +1 +0 +0 +0 Knowledge (History) +2, Knowledge (Psionics) +½ Power Attack Spell Resistance
    8 Advancement (+16 HD) +13 +6 +6 +6 Knowledge (Psionics) +7½, Listen +1 Cleave, Subduing Strike, Great Cleave, Wild Talent, Extend Spell, Persist Spell Gargantuan size
    9 War Mind 1 +14 +8 +8 +6 Psicraft +1 - Chain of Personal Superiority +2, Manifesting
    10 War Mind 2 +15 +9 +9 +6 Psicraft +2 - Chain of Defensive Posture +2
    11 War Mind 3 +16 +9 +9 +7 Psicraft +3 Fast Healing Enduring Body (DR 1/—)
    12 War Mind 4 +17 +10 +10 +7 Psicraft +4 - -
    13 War Mind 5 +18 +10 +10 +7 Autohypnosis +1 - Sweeping Strike
    14 Cleric 1 +18 +12 +10 +9 Concentration +1 Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell) Domains (Ooze+Pain), Rebuke Undead, Spellcasting
    15 Cleric 2 +19 +13 +10 +10 Concentration +2 - -
    16 Cleric 3 +20 +13 +11 +10 Concentration +3 - -
    17 War Mind 6 +21 +14 +12 +11 Concentration +4 Practiced Manifester Enduring Body (DR 1/—)
    18 War Mind 7 +22 +14 +12 +11 Concentration +5 - Chain of personal superiority +4
    19 War Mind 8 +23 +15 +13 +11 Concentration +6 - Chain of defensive posture +4
    20 War Mind 9 +24 +15 +13 +12 Concentration +7 Expanded Knowledge (Share Pain) Enduring body (DR 3/—)

Spoiler: Psionics and spells
    Show
    Power Points:

CR PP
    9 3
    10 11
    11 12
    12 18
    13 25
    17 34
    18 44
    19 55
    20 67

Powers Known:
    Level 1: Expansion (9), Grip of Iron (10)
    Level 2: Share Pain (20), Strength of My Enemy (12)
    Level 3: Dimension Slide (17)
    Level 4: Psionic Dimension Door (19)

Spell Slots:

CR 0 1 2
    14 3 2+1 -
    15 4 3+1 -
    16+ 4 3+1 2+1

The Abomination's domains are Ooze and Pain. Its domain slots are usually filled with Grease and Sadism.

Spoiler: Build Write-ups
    Show
    Spoiler: CR 4
    Show
    "The perfect offense is absolute. It is a fire that burns all, a flood that washes all away, a storm that strips bare the land. It is not swayed by sword or spell, but singular and unstoppable."

-The Talariic Codex

A Flotsam Oozes's Adhesive ability is quite confusing. As written, stuck opponents can't get free while the ooze is alive, written in a way that implies teleportation doesn't work either.

Interestingly, it seems to override Freedom of Movement as well, as no grapple check is needed to grapple a creature and checks to escape can't succeed by virtue of Adhesive's wording.

Soap may dissolve the adhesive, but how many adventuring parties both carry soap and know to apply it? Even then, a +9 check ought to make escape hard.

That said, the Abomination isn't that interesting at these levels yet. It's small and smart enough to ambush people, so perhaps have it adhere to one of the party's smaller members and then attempt to flee underwater.

Spoiler: CR 8
    Show
    "The joy of battle is what spurns a warrior. Let each swing of the sword lend power to the subsequent! Let each conquest be a step towards the next! Let each broken body be a warning to those opposing you!"

-The Talariic Codex

Sixteen extra HD have greatly increased the Abomination's SR. From now on, it'll be equal to its CR+12: more than able to stop a fair deal of incoming spells, at least until opponents figure out it has SR.

With more BAB, strength, and size modifiers, its ability to grapple has gone up tremendously, with a +42 grapple modifier at CR 8. Whoever it slams is just going to get dragged along for the ride.

However, damage output is lacking with a single attack per round. That's where some of the newly gained feats come in! With Subduing Strike, the Abomination can knock out small creatures (I recommend bats or toads) and attach them to its body, allowing it to attack them again (seemingly without requiring an action) each round. Whenever it wants, it can make such an attack lethal, kill the weak cretin, and Great Cleave a more dangerous foe. With a single bat or toad weighing less than an ounce, the Abomination can drag along hundreds, if not thousands, of them.

Spoiler: CR 13
    Show
    "The warrior does not do battle, he is battle. Where the common man must fight mindset and belief to harm another, the warrior's state of being is already focused on combat, and bringing this might to bear requires but a subtle shift in posture."

-The Talariic Codex

Thousands of attacks per round is fun and all, but having to renew your supply of weak animals afterwards is kind of a pain. Fortunately, Sweeping Strike turns every attack the Abomination makes (yes, including the free adhesive attacks) into a two-square-affecting blow. This means that it can now make as many attacks as it has attached creatures, each round.

Some sturdier creatures may be preferable over bats by now, though. Ideally they have many HP, but a low weight and bad grapple checks: maybe ambush a gnomish adventuring party.

War Mind has also brought some other goodies. Expansion lets the Abomination grow to Colossal size, Grip of Iron boosts its grapple checks even further, the various mastered Chains are good in-combat buffs, and Strength of My Enemy lets it drain a point of strength from a helpless attached creature each round, letting it grow stronger over the course of a fight.

Also, Fast Healing will help the ooze recover from fights and be slightly harder to take down.

Spoiler: CR 17
    Show
    "Do not love the causing of pain, for love distracts from battle."

-The Talariic Codex

Essentially limitless attacks are nice and all, but don't forget accuracy! By Persisting Sadism, the Abomination gets approximately +4 to attack rolls, skill checks and saving throws for each attached creature, not including the damage dealt to nonattached beings.

Blood Wind, though not Persistable, gives the Abomination an attack option to use at range. Adhesive should theoretically carry over on such strikes as well.

Finally, it is worth noting that with the Ooze domain, the Abomination can command other oozes.

Show
    "A warrior carries the world upon his shoulders, and unthankfully it strikes at him. Does he not deserve to return that pain?"

-The Talariic Codex

No big tricks here, though Dimension Slide and Dimension Door do provide some additional movement options. In addition, the Abomination now has enough power points to be permanently Expanded.

Expanded Knowledge gets it Share Pain, which can be used on an unconscious (and therefore willing) attached creature. As long as the chosen victim is a bit sturdy, this doubles the Abomination's HP (as if it didn't have enough already).

Spoiler: Using the Abomination
    Show
    What motivation to give a pseudo-divinely-inspired, aboleth-made ooze? There's a few.

One could run the Abomination as any other hungry monster, just killing people until some adventurers stop it. In such a case, I suggest adding a tactical element by having one of the adhered creatures be some kind of plot-relevant NPC. This forces the PCs to be careful with AoEs and forces them to act quickly should the ooze flee into a body of water. Alternatively, the Abomination may instinctively recognize the PC's as prime victims (seeing they are tough yet lightweight) and attempt to add them to its mass.

Alternatively, the Abomination may still be connected to the aboleth colony it sprouted from. Perhaps it's simple muscle used by the psionic slime-slugs, or perhaps it is motivated by whatever dark intellect possesses it. Used in this way, the Abomination can be part of any of the possible aboleth plots.

Finally, there's the option of fluffing the Abomination as one of the many ways used by Shothotugg to destroy worlds. A mortal mind is made to create a small replica of the being, which slowly grows and matures until it assimilates its homeworld's biomass, shatters the planet, and becomes another world-eater. The PCs must stop it to save not just their, but many other planets as well.

Show
    Cleave, Cleric, Extend Spell, Great Cleave, Persist Spell, Power Attack - PHB
    Flotsam Ooze - FF
    Sentry Ooze - Dun
    Expanded Knowledge, War Mind, Wild Talent - EPH
    Shothotugg - LoM
    Subduing Strike, BoED
    Fast Healing - ELH
    Divine Metamagic - CD
    Practiced Manifester - CPsi

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Post Miss Dember Mint

Miss Dember Mint
    CE Mistling (Forge of War p.153) Amphibious (Stormwrack p.136) Rime Sprite (web)

Spoiler
    Show

Str 6 Dex 21 Con 16 Int 18 wis 8 Cha 23
    All stat bonuses go to charisma

Spoiler: build
    Show

CR HD Class bab fort ref Will Skills Feat Class Features
    2 1 Metamagic specialist (PHB2 p.62) Sorcerer 0 0 0 2 knowledge (Arcane) 4, knowledge history (2), concentration 4, spellcraft 4, bluff 4, craft (goldsmith) 4, UMD (2), Ride (ooze) 2 Incarnum spellshaping (MOI p.38) Racial: Feats: Dodge, Improved initiative, Mobility,Spell-Like Abilities: At will -- create water, dancing lights, ghost sound, open/close, ray of frost; 3/day -- entangle, minor image, obscuring mist. Caster level 1st; save DC 14 + spell level. Snow Flurry (Su), Water Walk (Su): Nat Armor +2, 1d2 claw attack, aligned strike (Su), magic strike (Su), poison (Ex), Conjure Living Spell (Sp), Obscuring mist (Sp) 3/day, Damage reduction 5/cold iron and magic, Immune to Disease, poison, and polymorph, Resistances: Acid 10, electricity 10, fire 10, Spell resistance =HD+10, Madness (Ex), Misty Aura (Ex)
    Class: Metamagic Specialist, spell casting
    3 2 Sorcerer 2 1 0 0 3 Knowledge Arcana 5, Knowlege history 2.5, UMD 2.5, concentration 5, spellcraft 5, Ride 2.5
    4 3 Sorcerer 3 1 1 1 3 knowledge Arcana 6, Knowledge History 3, UMD 3, Concentration 6, Spellcraft 6, Ride 3 Earthbound Spell (PHB2 p. 91) Tasha's hideous Laughter (Sp)
    5 4 Sorcerer 4 2 1 1 4 knowledge Arcana 7, UMD 3.5, Concentration 7, Spellcraft 7, Bluff 7, Ride 3.5
    7 5 Domain Access (complete champion p.52) Sorcerer 5 2 1 1 4 knowledge Arcana 8, Knowledge History 8, Confusion (Sp)
    8 6 Sorcerer 6 3 2 2 5 knowledge Arcana 9, UMD 4.5, Concentration 9, Spellcraft 8, Sanctum Spell (Complete Arcane p.82)
    9 7 Cataclysm Mage 1 3 2 2 7 Knowledge Arcana 10, UMD 5, Concentration 10, Spellcraft 10, Ride 4 Dhakaani secret, personal prophecy, Baleful Polymorph (Sp)
    10 8 Cataclysm Mage 2 4 2 2 8 Knowledge Arcana 11, UMD 5.5, Concentration 11, Spellcraft 11, knowledge planes 1, knowledge history 9 Xoriat secret
    11 9 Cataclysm Mage 3 4 3 3 8 Knowledge Arcana 12, UMD 6, Concentration 12, Spellcraft 12, knowledge planes 2, knowledge history 10 Midnight metamagic (MOI p.38) Cataclysm of flesh, Phantasmal Killer (Sp)
    12 10 Cataclysm Mage 4 5 3 3 9 Knowledge Arcana 13, UMD 6.5, Concentration 13, Spellcraft 13, knowledge planes 3, knowledge history 11 Cor'dran secret, personal prophecy
    15 11 Cataclysm Mage 5 5 3 3 9 Knowledge Arcana 14, UMD 7, Concentration 14, Spellcraft 14, knowledge planes 4, knowledge history 12 Dal Quor secret, True Seeing (Sp) 3/day
    16 12 Cataclysm Mage 6 6 4 4 10 Knowledge Arcana 15, UMD 7.5, Concentration 15, Spellcraft 15, knowledge planes 5, knowledge history 13 Improved Essentia Capacity (MOI p.38) Cataclysm of dreams, damage reduction 10/cold iron and magic
    17 13 Cataclysm Mage 7 6 4 4 10 Knowledge Arcana 16, UMD 8, Concentration 16, Spellcraft 16, knowledge planes 6, knowledge history 14 Ashtakalan secret, personal prophecy, Baleful polymorph (Sp) 3/day, polymorph any object (Sp)
    18 14 Cataclysm Mage 8 7 4 4 11 Knowledge Arcana 17, UMD 8.5, Concentration 17, Spellcraft 17, knowledge planes 7, knowledge history 15 Haka'torvhak secret
    19 15 Cataclysm Mage 9 7 5 5 11 Knowledge Arcana 18, UMD 9, Concentration 18, Spellcraft 18, knowledge planes 8, knowledge history 16 Heighten spell Cataclysm of silver, Insanity (Sp)
    20 16 Cataclysm Mage 10 8 5 5 12 Knowledge Arcana 19, Concentration 19, Spellcraft 19, knowledge planes 9, knowledge history 17, Craft 5 Dragonmark secret

Spells
    0: read magic, preserve organ (BOVD), Caltrops (Spell Compendium, p. 42), Acid Splash, Mage Hand, Slash Tongue (BOVD), Launch Item, Detect Magic, Amanuensis
    1: Protection from good, Extract Drug (BOVD), grease, Detect Secret Doors (K), Lesser Deflect,
    2: Fuse arms (Spell Compendium p. 100), Detect thoughts (K), soulboon (MOI), Wingbind, black karma curse (phb2)
    3: Clairavoyance (K), Engulfing Terror (DotU), dispel magic, Haboob (sandstorm)
    4: Divination (k), Grim revenge (BOVD), Rend Essencia, Call of Stone (PHB 2)
    5: True seeing (K), Arcane Fusion (Complete Mage), Alaunger's Triptych, symbol of spell loss
    6: Find the Path (k), Focal stone , Mineralize Warrior (underdark)
    7: Legend Lore (k), Gold Finger

Gear
    GLOVE OF INCARNUM THEFT from MOI and Amulet of ooze riding A&EG p.85

Before we ooze on down the road, we need to acknowledge that the rules are going to slither on by towards blOOZEcheese. This build also works with unseelie fey azurins, and if you don’t like the rules abOOZE with conjure living spell, an unseelie fey gnome with magic in the blood as the first level feat, plus a custom metamagic rod of earthbound spell or heighten spell, will work, but it won’t come online until 15HD. Mostly, this build is all about ripping all of your hands off. But we’ll get to that.

Mistlings have a 1/day ability to conjure living spells based on any spell or spell like ability that they have. At first, I was going to use magic in the blood on an unseelie fey humanoid to up that to 3 times per day. But the ability itself is a spell like ability...so the first ooze of the day that you make is a conjure living spell ooze. Just let that ooze slam you around anytime that you want to make another living ooze. This is a bit rules wonky in that the template for living oozes has specific parameters as to what spells are applicable whereas the mistling template doesn’t seem to care at all about all that noise. Seeing as how we’re all villains here, we’re just going to assume that this shortcut works for us.

Then, you need a 1 CR fey, because the mistling template adds +4 to the CR. Uggh. Rather than use a killoren or duskling, the rime sprite pops up as a very viable candidate, with three movement modes, some SLAs, and huge stats. But it doesn’t breath air. So it became necessary to make it an amphibious rime sprite.

Now we’re cooking with fire and doing double damage.

The easiest way to rip off a lot of arms is to use Grim revenge from BOVD (6d6 damage and your hand becomes a wights hand that hates its former owner). But why not use arcane fusion to pair that with fuse arms? But alas, fuse arms is a 2nd level spell. No worries, use a sanctum spell feat to knock it down. Arrgh. The Errata for arcane fusion doesn’t allow you to do that...so you need to use midnight metamagic to reduce the sanctum fuse arms down to a 1st level slot. Now, if you’re permissive of arcane fusioning sanctum midnight fuse arms + grim revenge being used to make a living spell because the mistling ability has nearly no caveats about what you can use and therefor may overwrite what the living spell template says is permissible. Stop there. Don’t take earthbound spell and replace it with the next feat down. Otherwise, you next need to jump through the hurdle of the living spell pre-requisites, which you can do by making the arcane fusion of midnight sanctum fuse arms + grim revenge into midnight sanctum earthbound fuse arms + earthbound grim revenge, which takes 5 essencia loaded into the midnight metamagic. This requires either a pre-emptive casting of soulboon, rend essencia, or the use of gloves of essencia robbery from MOI, the latter of which is the most rules legal option as it allows you to circumvent the 1/day limit on adding essencia to the feat. Earthbound spell removes the target line from the spell and renders it into a 5x5 area of effect. Ocular spell could work too, but then I would have to convince you that the metamagic specialist ACF works on the ocular spells to make them into standard action castings for use in the arcane fusion. And you're probably tired from reading RAW from like 5 different splatbooks.

And boom! At level 12, you can create a living spell that merges all of its opponents upper grasping limbs into one huge arm. Which is then ripped off and transformed into a wight’s claw that hates its former body.

Along the way, when searching for prestige classes to get out of sorcerer as soon as possible, Cataclysm mage pops up as a thematic addition because it has three amazing spell like abilities. Cataclysm of the flesh is a spell like ability that transforms a person into a puddle of worthless writhing oozing agony. Cataclysm of dreams makes and earthquake + illusion that can destroy structures and panick Miss Dember’s opponents. Finally, Dragonmark secret gives you access to every dragonmark’s SLAs...which you can turn into living spell oozes.

In order to become a cataclysm mage, you need to have 8 ranks of knowledge history, which can only be gotten by joining an organization (doesn’t make sense) or using the domain access ACF for the knowledge domain. If it weren't for the knowledge domains lackluster spell list, Miss Dember would have limited wish and disintegrate. On the plus side, the knowledge domains gives you divination, which will helps Miss Dember choose which dragonmark slas to prepare.

A list of dragonmark SLAs can be found here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1072.0

The neat thing about this build is that even if the grim fusion doesn't work, it is still a great opponent. Alaugers triptich allows Miss Dember to make a living spell out of three magic item abilities which are cast as a single spell... magic items that Miss Dember can make out of focal stone spell. The racial SLAs of mistling make for great living spells, and cataclysm mage abilities are so much fun.

Another gear idea is to give miss Dember an amulet of ooze riding, and make pcs fight her through a terrbly mean ooze.

Whew. Now all we have to do is write a backstory and give Miss Dember Mint some motivations…
    Being a creature of the mournlands offers Dember an element of otherwordly evil infusion, which, paired with the prophecy aspects of cataclysm mage, gives Dember a reason to villainously adventure. At CR 20, Dember is a hunted entity from dragons, who may commission PCs to hunt her.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Post Schlorp

Schlorp

Race: Silverbrow Human
    Build Stub: Druid 8/Incarnate 2/Thrall of Juiblex 3/Warshaper 2/Druid +5
    Ability Scores: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 8
    Ability Increases: Wis 17 (4th), Wis 18 (8th), Wis 19 (12th), Wis 20 (16th), Wis 21 (20th)
    Languages: Common, Druidic, Aboleth
    Alignment: NE
    Multiclass Penalty: No.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show

As the hobgoblin horde charged the gate, the elven archers along the walls of the fort let loose another volley. The horrible screams of the wounded and dying intensified, but the hobgoblins renewed their push, and were rewarded with the sound of splintering wood. A terrible cheer rose up from the hobgoblin ranks, and the entire horde pressed in closer, hoping to break open the gate. From a wooded bluff overlooking the battle, a four-poster bed emerged from the trees and floated towards the battlefield. Some of the hobgoblins or elves might have noticed the bed, but there were more pressing matters that demanded their immediate attention.

There was one, however, who did notice the flying bed, and curious enough to investigate further. As the bed got closer to the battlefield, a pixie suddenly appeared next to the bed.

The pixie addressed the bed, "Mister bed, sir?"

The smooth wood at the footboard dimpled and bulged as a vaguely human face appeared. "Yes?"

The pixie turned toward the face, flying backward but keeping pace with the bed. "Whatcha doin'?"

The bed said, "Destorying a fort."

"Oh," said the pixie. "You here to help the hobgoblins, then?"

"Not exactly", said the bed. "Are the fey folk involved?"

The pixie shrugged. "Not really. I was just sorta hangin' out, 'cause you know... all those big folk, stabbin' each other and cuttin' off limbs and blood spurtin' everywhere... that's *kinda* interesting. But I ain't never seen home furnishings getting involved, outside of catapults and such. Normally us dainty types help out the elves, but they've been really snotty lately, and our King Jollyhop said something about them borrowing a hedge-trimmer and not bringing it back... well, the elders talked it over last night, and they thought us dainty-folk should sit this one out. So... you don't like the elves? Did they borrow somethin' and not give it back?"

"Not really. In fact, what I'm about to do has a good chance to wipe out both sides."

The pixie frowned at the bed. "Well, that doesn't make any sense! How can you not be on a side?"

"I am not always given the reasons behind my instructions. I am bidden to reduce this fortress to rubble, and if any creatures happen to have the misfortune to be there, then so be it."

The pixie smirked. "Well, I seen a few tables get tipsy and tear apart a house, and I once saw a credenza demolish an entire glassblower's shop, and my Aunt Tallywhicker has this armchair that you absolutely do not want to get on it's bad side... but how exactly is one four-poster bed going to destroy an entire fort?"

"Why, by bombing it with several hundred gelatinous cubes, of course. You might want to back off just a bit... this is about to get very messy."

The bed stopped, hovering about a hundred feet directly above the main gates. With a wet *splorch*, a large cube of quivering protoplasm appeared on top of the bed, which dipped slightly and then flipped over, dropping the cube onto the gates below. After a few seconds, another cube appeared and dropped. And then another, and another, and another...

Spoiler: Breaking the Jello Mold
    Show

Build Progression:
    Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Druid 1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Concentration 4, Escape Artist 2(cc), Know:Dung 2(cc), Know:Nature 4, Spot 4 Aberration Blood (Bulging Eyes), Natural Heavyweight Nature Sense, Rootwalker ACF: Vermin Empathy, Wasteland Companion: Vulture
    2nd Druid 2 +1 +3 +0 +3 Concentration 5(+1), Escape Artist 2, Handle Animal 3(+3), Know:Nature 4, Know:Dung 2, Spot 5(+1) Rootwalker ACF: Earthen Stride
    3rd Druid 3 +2 +3 +1 +3 Concentration 6(+1), Escape Artist 3(+2cc), Handle Animal 3, Know:Dung 3(+2cc), Know:Nature 4, Spot 5 Willing Deformity Trackless Step
    4th Druid 4 +3 +4 +1 +4 Concentration 7(+1), Escape Artist 3, Handle Animal 5(+2), Know:Dung 3, Know:Nature 4, Spot 7(+2) Rootwalker ACF: +4 saves vs aberrations
    5th Druid 5 +3 +4 +1 +4 Concentration 8(+1), Escape Artist 4(+2cc), Handle Animal 5, Know:Dung 4(+2cc), Know:Nature 4, Spot 7 Wild Shape 1/day
    6th Druid 6 +4 +5 +2 +5 Concentration 9(+1), Escape Artist 4, Handle Animal 7(+2), Know:Dung 4, Know:Nature 4, Spot 9(+2) Aberration Wild Shape Wild Shape 2/day
    7th Druid 7 +5 +5 +2 +5 Concentration 10(+1), Escape Artist 5(+2cc), Handle Animal 7, Know:Dung 5(+2cc), Know:Nature 4, Spot 9 Wild Shape 3/day
    8th Druid 8 +6 +6 +2 +6 Concentration 11(+1), Escape Artist 5, Handle Animal 9(+2), Know:Dung 5, Know:Nature 4, Spot 11(+2) Wild Shape (Large)
    9th Incarnate 1 +6 +8 +2 +8 Concentration 11, Escape Artist 5, Handle Animal 9, Know:Arcana 1(+1), Know:Dung 5, Know:Nature 4, Know:Planes 1(+1), Know:Religion 1(+1), Spot 11 Thrall to Demon (Juiblex) Aura, detect opposition. Soulmelds: Airstep Sandals, Planar Chasuble
    10th Incarnate 2 +7 +9 +2 +9 Concentration 11, Escape Artist 5, Handle Animal 9, Know:Arcana 2(+1), Know:Dung 5, Know:Nature 4, Know:Planes 2(+1), Know:Religion 2(+1), Spot 11 Chakra Bind (Crown). Soulmeld: Elder Spirit
    11th Thrall of Juiblex 1 +8 +11 +4 +11 Concentration 11, Disguise 2(+2), Escape Artist 5, Handle Animal 9, Know:Arcana 2, Know:Dung 5, Know:Nature 4, Know:Planes 2, Know:Religion 2, Move Silently 1(+1), Spot 11 Sickening Slime
    12th Thrall of Juiblex 2 +9 +12 +5 +12 Concentration 11, Disguise 3(+1), Escape Artist 5, Handle Animal 9, Know:Arcana 2, Know:Dung 5, Know:Nature 4, Know:Planes 2, Know:Religion 2, Move Silently 3(+2), Spot 11 Open Least Chakra: Feet Corrosive Touch
    13th Thrall of Juiblex 3 +10 +12 +5 +12 Concentration 11, Disguise 5(+2), Escape Artist 5, Handle Animal 9, Know:Arcana 2, Know:Dung 5, Know:Nature 4, Know:Planes 2, Know:Religion 2, Move Silently 4(+1), Spot 11 Summon Ooze
    14th Warshaper 1 +10 +14 +5 +12 Balance 3(+3), Concentration 11, Disguise 5, Escape Artist 5, Handle Animal 9, Know:Arcana 2, Know:Dung 5, Know:Nature 4, Know:Planes 2, Know:Religion 2, Move Silently 4, Spot 11 Morphic Immunities, Morphic Weapons
    15th Warshaper 2 +11 +15 +6 +13 Balance 5(+2), Concentration 11, Disguise 6(+1), Escape Artist 5, Handle Animal 9, Know:Arcana 2, Know:Dung 5, Know:Nature 4, Know:Planes 2, Know:Religion 2, Move Silently 4, Spot 11 Natural Spell (finally!) Morphic Body: Str +4, Con +4
    16th Druid 9 +11 +15 +7 +13 Balance 5, Concentration 14(+3), Disguise 6, Escape Artist 5, Handle Animal 9, Know:Arcana 2, Know:Dung 5, Know:Nature 4, Know:Planes 2, Know:Religion 2, Move Silently 4, Spot 13(+2) Venom Immunity
    17th Druid 10 +12 +16 +7 +14 Balance 5, Concentration 16(+2), Disguise 6, Escape Artist 5, Handle Animal 9, Know:Arcana 2, Know:Dung 5, Know:Nature 4, Know:Planes 2, Know:Religion 2, Move Silently 4, Spot 16(+3) Wild Shape 4/day
    18th Druid 11 +13 +16 +7 +14 Balance 5, Concentration 19(+3), Disguise 6, Escape Artist 5, Handle Animal 9, Know:Arcana 2, Know:Dung 5, Know:Nature 4, Know:Planes 2, Know:Religion 2, Move Silently 4, Spot 18(+2) Bonus Essentia Wild Shape (Tiny)
    19th Druid 12 +14 +17 +8 +15 Balance 5, Concentration 21(+2), Disguise 6, Escape Artist 5, Handle Animal 9, Know:Arcana 2, Know:Dung 5, Know:Nature 4, Know:Planes 2, Know:Religion 2, Move Silently 4, Spot 21(+3) Wild Shape (Plant)
    20th Druid 13 +14 +17 +8 +15 Balance 5, Concentration 23(+2), Disguise 6, Escape Artist 5, Handle Animal 10(+1), Know:Arcana 2, Know:Dung 5, Know:Nature 4, Know:Planes 2, Know:Religion 2, Move Silently 4, Spot 23(+2) A Thousand Orifices

Spoiler: Druid Spells
    Show

Typical Druid Spells Prepared
    0lvl: create water, cure minor wounds, dawn (SC), detect magic, light, read magic
    1st: cloudburst (SC), conjure ice beast (Frostburn), faerie fire, impeding stones (Cityscape), spider hand (BoVD), wood wose (SC)
    2nd: blinding spittle (SC), cloud wings (SC), heart of air (CMage), kelpstrand (SC), summon swarm, soul ward (CChamp)
    3rd: conjure ice beast III (Frostburn), Evard's menacing tentacles (PHBII), dispel magic, heart of water (CMage), sleet storm
    4th: call of stone (PHBII), enhance wild shape (SC), flame strike, sheltered vitality (SC), vortex of teeth (SC)
    5th: dire hunger (SC), flesh to salt (Sandstorm), wall of thorns, wall of sand (SC)
    6th: extract water elemental (SC), greater dispel magic
    7th: slime wave (SC)

Druid Spells per Day
    Level 0lvl 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st 3 2 - - - - - - - -
    2nd 4 3 - - - - - - - -
    3rd 4 3 2 - - - - - - -
    4th 5 4 3 - - - - - - -
    5th 5 4 3 2 - - - - - -
    6th 5 4 4 3 - - - - - -
    7th 6 5 4 3 2 - - - - -
    8th 6 5 4 4 3 - - - - -
    9th 6 5 4 4 3 - - - - -
    10th 6 5 4 4 3 - - - - -
    11th 6 5 4 4 3 - - - - -
    12th 6 5 4 4 3 - - - - -
    13th 6 5 4 4 3 - - - - -
    14th 6 5 4 4 3 - - - - -
    15th 6 5 4 4 3 - - - - -
    16th 6 5 4 4 3 2 - - - -
    17th 6 5 5 4 4 3 - - - -
    18th 6 6 5 4 4 3 1 - - -
    19th 6 6 5 4 4 4 2 - - -
    20th 6 6 6 5 5 4 2 1 - -

Spoiler: CR 5
    Show

Schlorp didn't really "fit in" with most other druids. Where most druids saw vermin and oozes as agents of decay and the despoiling of nature, Schlorp saw them as just another part of nature. Disease, infestation, and rot were not examples of nature's weakness, but instruments of nature's strength. Breaking down biomass so that other creatures can use those resources... this is the power of rejuvenation, not destruction. And where most druids saw aberrations as abominations of nature, to be hunted down and purged from the "natural" world, Schlorp saw them only as the next step in evolution, a response to other creatures interfering with the natural order. Were not all creatures aberrations at some point? Don't all creatures deserve a chance to find their place in the natural order? Who are we to try and define "natural order" when the world allows wizards to rip apart the very fabric of the universe and reorder it as they see fit? To demand that some proud few get to determine which creatures are "natural" and which are "unnatural"... does that not make us the monsters?

As Schlorp explored the whole "what is natural/what is unnatural?" problem, he began experimenting on himself (hence the Willing Deformity), trying to determine what caused some creatures to mutate or evolve. Disease, poison, parasites... many creatures die, but some of them survive, change, and get stronger... what happens when he himself has to deal with these "destructive" aspects of nature? If these things do not kill him, and he survives... will he, too, change? Into what, exactly?

At CR 5, Schlorp plays like a standard evil druid, except he prefers to use vermin, insect swarms, and aberrations over "those boring furries".

Spoiler: CR 10
    Show

At 6th level Schlorp taps into his own Aberrant Blood heritage, turning himself into forms that most other druids would never dare. These new forms, how did they emerge from what they were before? How much more do they need to change or outcompete the "natural" animals before they become "natural"?
    Aberrant Wild Shape gives him some new forms to explore... well, ok, mostly the choker, but Quickness is (Su) and he can't get that yet. But there are some interesting (Ex) abilities he can access via the enhance wild shape spell... which will become much more important shortly.

At 8th level, Schlorp has access to the Nilshai (Unapproachable East), which has an ability called Fearsome Celerity (Ex). When he casts enhance wild shape, this ability gives him an extra standard action every round, allowing him to cast two spells on his turn. But that's not really what we're here for.

Schlorp's fascination for oozes eventually leads him to a revelation of momentous importance... he realizes that oozes and slimes are the oldest creatures, the primordial soup from which all subsequent creatures evolved. These simple mindless creatures are the wellspring of all life. This realization drives him to explore the cult of Juiblex, patron demon lord of all things slimy, and Schlorp is compelled to devote himself to the worship of Juiblex. However, in order to get a more, uh, "intimate" understanding of oozes, he needs a way to make himself immune to paralysis and acid damage. And that's what the dip into Incarnate is for. Planar Chasuble gives him acid resistance 10. And the Elder Spirit soulmeld (Dragon Magic) bound to his Crown chakra gives him immunity to paralysis.

As far as combat goes, Schlorp sticks to Nilshai and relies on the two spells per turn to deal with threats: start with BFC to lock things down, flame strike and vortex of teeth to carve up the meatbags, then let the insect swarms and summons finish off the leftovers.

Spoiler: CR 15
    Show

Ok, with the acid and paralysis dealt with, Schlorp heads into Thrall of Juiblex. Three levels in, he picks up the Summon Ooze ability. This lets him summon a gelatinous cube as a standard action at will. According to the Monster Manual errata, a gelatinous cube weighs 15000 pounds, and that's what he want to cover the world with, an infinite number of gelatinous cubes. But there are several problems we need to overcome.

First, we need a surface that will support the cubes. According to the PHB page 172: "It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it." So that's why we need a large-sized aberration: the mimic. When we cast enhance wild shape, we get access to the Mimic Shape (Ex) ability, which allows us to assume any shape up to roughly 150 cubic feet. A 10' by 10' platform, 18 inches thick, should be sufficient. The shape also needs to be a quadraped for reasons we'll get into later, so for now we can just call it a four-poster bed.

Second, we need to be immune to the gelatinous cube's acid and paralysis. The Incarnate dip means done and done.

Our third soulmeld solves our third problem: we need to be flying to drop things on targets from above. Airstep Sandals may not be the best method for flight here, only 30' with both points of essentia invested, but we can use cloud wings (Spell Compendium) or heart of air to increase our speed, and the perfect maneuverability makes aiming our drops easier. We can hover and presumably flip over, dumping the gelatinous cube on whatever is below us. Note: I'm assuming the perfect maneuverability here trumps the "You must end the flight solidly supported or fall" text from the basic soulmeld ability. If you disagree, the Phoenix Cloak can be picked up for 50K GP.

The fourth problem is considerably trickier... we need our flying four-poster bed to be able to actually support the weight of a 15000 pound gelatinous cube long enough that it doesn't immediately piledrive us into the ground. Even assuming we can get our max load up that high, the rules are exceedingly vague on what actually happens when you try to fly while heavily encumbered, and there are no rules at all which say what happens when you exceed your max load. There are several different flying effects, and it depends a great deal on how you got your flight speed to determine what happens when you try to fly while encumbered. Air Step Sandals actually don't say anything about flying while encumbered, so we have to use the default rules in the SRD, but they put them in a weird place and they're still pretty vague: "A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load." It doesn't say here that we *can't* fly with a medium or heavy load, just that we can't fly at the indicated speed. To determine the reduced speed, we just use the same encumbrance rules we'd use for land speed. For a 30' fly speed, it gets reduced to 20', which should be sufficient to get out from under the gelatinous cube. To avoid the problem of figuring out what happens when we exceed our max press while flying... well, then we need to get our max load up to 15000 pounds.

A mimic has 19 Strength, which gives us a max load of 350 pounds to start with. Here's where we need the quadraped form comes in handy (or footy?), as that gets us a x3 multiplier. The Natural Heavyweight feat gives us another x2 multiplier, and if the mimic is wearing a Belt of the Wide Earth (8000 GP, MIC), we can get another x2. But that's only a max load of 4200 pounds... not enough for an ochre jelly (5600 pounds), much less the full cube. As it turns out, we need a Strength score of 29 with all those multipliers to get our max load up to 16800 pounds. The Magic Item Compendium says we can combine the effects of a Belt of Giant's Strength with our Belt of the Wide Earth, adding a +6 enhancement bonus for 36000 GP, but we're still short 4 points of Strength. A two-level dip into Warshaper fixes this, giving Schlorp Morphic Body (Su): Str +4 and Con +4. If that's not quite enough for you, the Bridle of Burden-Bearing from the Arms & Equipment Guide offers an untyped Strength bonus that can be stacked with a Belt of Giant's Strength, a second casting of enhance wild shape can give him a +2 untyped bonus to Strength, or some drugs like devilweed (Book of Vile Darkness) or jhuild (Lords of Darkness) can give him a +2 alchemical bonus to Strength for 1d3 hours. Both of these drugs have drawbacks, but negating the Wis damage and addiction checks are laughably easy at this level.

So now we can summon gelatinous cubes onto our flying 10' x 10' platform and drop them wherever we like. It's a standard action to summon the cube (SLA) and a move action to flip over, tilt it off one side, or slide out from underneath it. We can drop one cube every round, 60 cubes per hour, for however many hours until the duration on either wild shape or enhance wild shape expires. The cube can't hurt us (Planar Chasuble and Elder Spirit render us immune to the acid damage and paralysis), and so long as we drop it quickly, never gets a chance to engulf or attack us. Whatever the cube hits takes 20d6 falling object damage, and then (if the cube survived the fall... on average, any fall 160' or higher will kill the cube) has to deal with the acid damage, the save vs. paralysis, and engulf. I'm actually not entirely sure what happens when a creature is crushed underneath a gelatinous cube... I'd be inclined to say it auto-engulfs for simplicity's sake, but technically the cube doesn't do any acid damage, paralysis, or engulfing until it's turn comes up in the initiative order. Before that happens, you'd have to resolve the "stacking" issue with a large creature occupying the same square as the target creature, presumably with some sort of roll to see if either the target creature or the cube gets knocked prone... and I'd really like to know what a gelatinous cube looks like when it gets knocked prone.

Well, there you have it: carpet-bombing with gelatinous cubes made easy. Bombs away!

However... unless the PCs are dumb enough to stay on the ground and not move, this isn't a tactic that works all that well in combat. Schlorp is much more effective against buildings, population centers, livestock, etc. So at this point he's much more effective as an "offscreen villain", and he can start his villainous reign of terror by carpet-bombing villages, castles, and forts. The PCs encounter mostly the aftermath of Schlorp's handywork (appendagework?), and maybe clean up a few oozes/aberrations that were left behind to chase down stragglers. Using cloudcover or fog spells to hide himself on his bombing runs, the local populace could be clueless about why it's suddenly raining oozes, and beg the PCs to investigate. If challenged directly, Schlorp switches to a faster form and retreats to his lair. If cornered, he switches to Nilshai and hides behind a wall of summoned creatures.

Show

Nothing really fancy here, Schlorp just adds some Druid spellcasting. This brings him up to 7th level spells, which isn't full-on Druidzilla Gawd Mode, but still gives him some pretty nasty finishing moves: flesh to salt and extract water elemental, mostly. Bonus Essentia helps increase his fly speed. But let's finish up by talking about that lair a bit...

Schlorp collects and breeds oozes. So mundane tasks about the lair are handled by trained gray oozes and ochre jellies with the Sentry Ooze template (Dungeonscape). Operational duties and tactical security are handled by summoning oozes (MM2) who are smart enough to summon in whatever creatures are needed for a particular task. For higher-level threats, an elder black pudding, bone ooze (MM2), or flesh jelly (MM2) can be brought in. Traps would of course involve not only brown mold, yellow mold, and green slime, but also grey slime and bone fungus (Dungeonscape). And since most ooze attacks are (Ex), traps that drop flux slime (ELH p. 107) into the room could add some interesting effects to an encounter: magic is supressed with an AMF, contact causes 2d6 Constitution damage, and it also explodes (causing permanent mutations) if exposed to extreme cold, heat, or sunlight.

Schlorp's lair is constructed entirely out of 10' x 10' stone cubes. Stone cubes that don't appear to be carved or shaped with tools. They are, in fact, all gelatinous cubes that have been turned into stone with call of stone (PHBII). Add a Domain Staff of Liberation (36000 GP, Complete Champion), and Schlorp can convert 13 "blocks" of his lair back into gelatinous cubes every time he casts break enchantment.

If you need a climactic boss fight to finish things off, then throw in an awakened terratomorph (MM3).

Show

Arms & Equipment Guide: Bridle of Burden-Bearing.
    Book of Vile Darkness: Willing Deformity, Thrall to Demon, Thrall of Juiblex, Devilweed.
    Complete Warrior: Warshaper.
    Dragon Magic: Silverbrow Human, Elder Spirit Soulmeld.
    Lords of Darkness: Jhuild/Thrallwine.
    Lords of Madness: Aberration Blood, Aberration Wild Shape.
    Magic Item Compendium: Belt of the Wide Earth, Phoenix Cloak
    Magic of Incarnum: Incarnate, Air Step Sandals, Planar Chasuble, Open Least Chakra, Bonus Essentia.
    Planar Handbook: Natural Heavyweight.
    Sandstorm: Wasteland Companion: Vulture.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Post Consequences

Consequences

CE Mistling Half-Fey Sylph Mindbender 7

from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Opening Title Sequence by Blur Studios
    Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Magic is nice, isn't it?

I'm sorry, let me correct that: magic is great, isn't it? Just look at how it revolutionized our world became: agriculture, health, industry, communication, religion, transportation, and hundreds other things that you can name, and thousands more that you might not even know. It is so deeply integrated and so essential to our society that one might even find it hard to imagine a world without one.

Indeed, thanks in no small part to magic, the world has become a complete paradise.

Again, I'm sorry, let me correct that: the world has become almost a complete paradise. You know, it would be easier to call the blasted landscape a mere blemish on this map, if it wasn't the size of an entire country. This land's the shadow of a bleak past, a remembrance of what can happen when dangerously escalating levels of magic became wielded as weapons, a reminder that magic the power it has to destroy is just as much, if not moreso, as it has to create.

Don't you find it strange that even with all our magic, the world at large still doesn't know exactly what happened there? What do you mean, you "didn't even know magic caused it"?

Alright, let me just clarify that I'm not advocating for anything. But listen closely. I know a little secret..

Being built and flavored from Eberron material, Consequences easily fits right in to the setting as a mysterious entity from Mournland. A feyfolk whose mind, body, and spirit, were twisted beyond recognition by powerful wild magic that has engulfed the country on the Day of Mourning, she now haunts the lands in what seems like a revenge-driven cause to grind the progress of magic, if not eradicate it completely. When positioned that way, one might say that Consequences is an antithesis to one of the setting's cornerstones and arguably its spirit.

Joining her cause are her living ichors of raw magic. Perhaps ironically or fittingly, depending on one's perspective, these are spells that have taken lives on their own, whose origins of mutation can no doubt also be traced back to the horrible fallout on the Day of Mourning. As with most feyfolk, beguiling and compelling creatures into doing her bidding are also valued options, especially useful in situations where the minimum amount of people wields the biggest political sway. For someone who's oozing with so much charisma, being a slimeball is an easy path to power. Together, Consequences and her thralls rid the world of magic users, either by sheer force, by the power of the law, or by permanently suppressing one's magical abilities.
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Build Stub
    Elite Array: STR 8, DEX 10, CON 13, INT 14, WIS 12, CHA 15
    Racial Adjustment: STR -2, DEX +2, CON -2, INT +4, WIS +6, CHA +6
    Template Adjustment: STR +2, DEX +2, WIS -2, CHA +4
    HD Increase Adjustment: CON +1 (@16), CHA +3 (@4/8/12)
    Ability Score: STR 8 (-1), DEX 14 (+2), CON 12 (+1), INT 18 (+4), WIS 16 (+3), CHA 28 (+9)

CR Class BAB Fort Ref Will Skills Feats Special
    5 Sylph 3HD 3 3 3 3 Balance 3cc, Bluff 3cc, Concentration 6, Diplomacy 3cc, Escape Artist 6, Intimidate 3cc, Knowledge(Arcana) 3cc, Move Silently 6, Sense Motive 3cc, Spellcraft 3cc Eschew Materials, Still Spell sorcerer 7 (4+HD) casting, SLAs
    6 Half-Fey
    (template)
    3 3 3 3 fey type, lowlight vision, immunity to enchantment spells/effects
    8 Mistling
    (template)
    3 3 3 3 Conjure Living Spell 1/d, SLAs, immunity to disease/poison/polymorph, madness, misty aura, SR18 (HD+10), DR5/cold iron and magic, natural armor +2, aligned strike (chaotic), magic strike, poison 1d3 Dex damage
    10 Sylph 8HD
    (advanced)
    8 6 6 6 Balance 5cc(+2), Bluff 5cc(+2), Concentration 11(+5), Diplomacy 5cc(+2), Escape Artist 11(+5), Hide 7, Intimidate 5cc(+2), Knowledge(Arcana) 5cc(+2), Move Silently 11(+5), Sense Motive 5cc(+2), Spellcraft 5cc(+2) Silent Spell sorcerer 12 (4+HD) casting
    11 Sylph 9HD
    (advanced)
    9 6 6 6 Bluff 6cc, Concentration 12, Diplomacy 6cc, Escape Artist 12, Hide 12, Intimidate 6cc, Knowledge(Arcana) 6cc, Move Silently 12, Sense Motive 6, Spellcraft 6cc Extra Spell sorcerer 13 (4+HD) casting
    12 Mindbender 1 9 8 6 8 Diplomacy 12(+6) Telepathy
    13 Mindbender 2 10 9 6 9 Spellcraft 12(+6) Push the Weak Mind 1/day, Skill Boost
    15 Mistling
    (CR increase)
    10 9 6 9 DR10/cold iron and magic
    16 Mindbender 3 10 9 7 9 Diplomacy 15(+3), Spellcraft 15(+3) Extra Spell Mind Read 2/day
    17 Mindbender 4 11 10 7 10 Concentration 16(+4), Diplomacy 16, Spellcraft 16 Eternal Charm (1)
    18 Mindbender 5 11 10 7 10 Sense Motive 12(+6) Push the Weak Mind 2/day
    19 Mindbender 6 11 11 8 11 Concentration 18(+2), Diplomacy 18(+2), Spellcraft 18(+2) Mindsight Eternal Charm (2), Enchantment Spell Power +2CL
    20 Mindbender 7 11 11 8 11 Concentration 19, Diplomacy 19, Sense Motive 15(+3), Spellcraft 19 Mind Read 4/day, Dominate
    Spoiler: Spells / SLA
    Show
    Spells per Day
    CR Sorc
    LVL
    0 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    8 8 6 6 6 5 3 - - - - -
    9 10 6 6 6 6 5 3 - - - -
    10 12 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 - - -
    11 13 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 - -
    12 15 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 - -
    15 16 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 -
    16 18 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3
    17 19 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4
    18 21 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6

Spells Known
    CR Sorc
    LVL
    0 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    8 8 Arcane Mark, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Ghost Sound, Mending, Read Magic, Prestidigitation, Silent PortalSpC Blood WindSpC, Grease, Resinous TarCM, Sticky FloorRotD, True Strike Alter Self, HeroicsSpC, WraithstrikeSpC Dispel Magic, Heart of WaterCM Minor Creation - - - - -
    9 10 StickSpC Shatter Arcane Sight Polymorph Magic Jar - - - -
    10 12 - - Ray of Stupidity Amorphous FormSpC(replace Dispel Magic), Dispel MagicCM Caustic MireCM, Favor of the MartyrSpC, Extra Spell Arcane FusionCM Antimagic Field - - -
    11 13 - - - - CelerityPHB2 Viscid GlobSpC Geas - - -
    12 15 - - - - - Miasma of EntropySpC Ooze PuppetSpC Energy Transformation FieldSpC, Limited Wish - -
    13 16 - - - - - - - Body Outside BodyCAr, Extra Spell Greater Arcane FusionCM -
    16 18 - - - - - - - Reverse Gravity Avascular Mass Replicate CastingSpC
    17 19 - - - - - - - - Discern Location Wish
    18 21 - - - - - - - - - Gate

Spell-like Abilities
    CR Spell-like Ability
    6 Improved Invisibility at will, Summon Monster VI (large elemental) 1/d, Charm Person at will, Faerie Fire or Glitterdust 1/d, Detect Law 3/d, Sleep or Enthrall 1/d
    8 Obscuring Mist 3/d, Tasha's Hideous Laughter 1/d
    9 Protection from Law 3/d, Tasha’a Hideous Laughter or Suggestion 1/d, Confusion 1/d
    10 Confusion or Emotion 1/d, Baleful Polymorph
    11 Eyebite or Lesser Geas 1/d, Dominate Person or Hold Monster 1/d, Phantasmal Killer 1/d
    13 Dominate Person or Hold Monster 1/d, True Seeing 3/d
    17 Mass Invisibility 1/d, Baleful Polymorph 3/day, Polymorph any Object 1/d
    19 Geas/Quest or Mass Suggestion 1/d, Insanity 1/d
    Spoiler: Usage and Highlights
    Show
    Despite being closely married to the Eberron flavor, Consequences could just be as usable in any setting as it was in Eberron, provided it has the same central conceit befitting her name: Consequences is a byproduct of extreme concentration of powerful magic, that which is tied to a cataclysmic event brought about by the mortal races themselves. However, using Consequences against a party of much lower optimization level than her isn't suggested, although those closer to her should do fine considering her poor spell choices.

In combat, while she can hold opposition on her own, she works best while Magic Jar is in effect with her Living Spell, as this allows her great stats cover the ooze's weak spots, including hitting the target with the slam attack. At later levels, she also gets her main combo by being inside a Living Spell hit with an Energy Transformation Field slam

CR10
    Consequences' goal at this point seems pretty clear. She assassinates criminal magic users and charms (at will) people of power to rally against her somewhat-justifiable cause of stricter policies against criminal magic users and tighter regulations to prevent magical arms race against them. Over time, with less magic available, it will be increasingly easier to either broaden the scope of who gets affected by the antimagic laws or broaded the scope of what constitutes crime (like including using X magic, for instance).

Like her motives and plans, her methods are also straight-forward. Diplomacy and at will Charm for controlling folks, then easy assasination due to Ooze mobility + Improved Invisibility + spells. Her top Living Spell options at this level would be Antimagic Field and Minor Creation (for poisons). She has Wraithstrike, True Strike, and Heroics to get a Slam attack hit, Bloodwind to cover ranged weakness (throwing globs of slime), and various amounts of slime-themed spells to slow her victims down. Watch out for synergies, like Resinous Tar inceasing Sticky Floor and Engulf DCs.

CR15 (Sweet Spot)
    By now, it's expected that she'll be getting plenty of support from jurisdictions under her pawns, especially the power-hungry mundanes that she convinced would benefit the most from having magical activities shutdown. They don't necessarily have to issue an open declaration against all magic users, majority of which are low-level crooks that are already imprisoned, but they would all have to be mobilized by the time she makes her grand attack.

With enough information gathering, the PCs would be able to uncover information on how Consequences came to be. During the Last War, majority of the mortal races were focused on the war efforts, directing and focusing their powerful magic at the heart of conflict that became the blasted wastelands; it turns out that the concentrated magical activity caused the apocalyptic disaster that ended the war and gave birth to the twisted inhabitants of that place, not unlike how a magnifyng glass would ignite a section of a paper where it was focused on. It's possible that Consequences may just be removing magical activity everywhere else to monopolize it and replicate the disaster somewhere (perhaps one of the rival nations?).

It's fair to say stopping magic from being used in a setting where magic is integrated even in the lives of the average folks might be crazy, but Consequences is just that. Furthermore, Consequences has the wile and charms to accomplish her goals when killing random casters simply won't cut it. With Telepathy and practically at will Geas, her fine social manipulations will even be more sophisticated.

Combatwise, we've come to the meat of the build, with opening up Limited Wish and Energy Transformation Field as Living Spell options. The first one gives all sorts of spell versatility for practically at will (per slam) Limited Wish for area and effect spells. The second one gives as the meat of Consequences power going forward, as explained:
    Spoiler: Living Energy Transformation Field tricks
    Show
    Magic-use Suppression
    A creature slammed by a living spell is treated as though within the area or effect of the associated spell. For instantaneous spells, it just happens per slam and we're done. For spells with limited duration, such as Acid Arrow from the Wizards web article, it apparently runs the entire duration. For Energy Transformation Field (ETF), it will absorb and negate any magical ability used within the area, such as spellcasting, and it will run the entire permanent duration.

Furthermore, since Living Spell's wording is that the creature is "subjected to the normal effect of the spell or spells
    making up the creature, as if it were within the area or effect", the spells' effect will actually take effect on the creature instead of a stationary specific point in space.

This isn't as bad as it sounds, since, based on the spell's wording, any spell cast from outside and into the area still works, so buffs and healing magic from others (provided there are others) will benefit the creature.

ETF + spells
    Now, we look at spells to link to ETF, in case your foe still tried using his magic. ETF + battlefield control are pretty straightforward. ETB + Minor Creation means your foe will be showered with plant-based poisons. ETF + Geas means your foe will be compelled to follow your order. ETB + Body Outside Body means your foe will have CL/5 copies of your possessed living spell going after him for 1 minute at a time.

ETF + GAF (Greater Arcane Fusion)
    Another Living Spell that you're currently possessing will be the one slammed by the Living ETF+GAF. You can have 2 Living Spells at a time due to the 16 hour duration, so this is possible. Everytime the living ETF (or you, if you now possess it) uses magic, it will be absorbed as spell levels.
    Use at-will Improved Invisibility on two successive round (4x2=8) to trigger the ETF. This leaves it with 1 spell level (8-7=1) and gives you the GAF effect
    Use GAF to cast [Favor of the Martyr + Arcane Fusion (Celerity + any L1 spell)].
    With another standard action now and next round, repeat Improved Invisibility twice for another trigger (9-7=2) leaving you with 2 spell levels and another GAF effect.
    Use GAF to cast [Celerity + Arcane Fusion (Celerity + any L1 spell)], giving you 1 free spell and 2 standard actions in the same round.
    Use at-will Improved Invisibility twice for another trigger (10-7=3), giving you another GAF to loop steps 5 and 6 as much as you want on the same turn. Do note that leftover spell-levels will eventually give you arbitrarily number of triggers for GAF
    Use arbitrary amount of leftover GAFs to basically cast any spell of 7th level or lower multiple times in a round for free via GAF. You can use this to renew Favor of the Martyr, or get standard actions with Celerity for doing something else like move or attack. Do note that you still can't cast spells the normal way due to ETF, which means no 8th-9th level spells as long as you possess the Living Spell.
    An alternate route to do this is to cast Heroics first to get the Child of Shadows stance before being slammed by the Living ETF+GAF. This way, activating the supernatural stance will trigger ETF and add spell levels equal to your HD (11), at a cost of only a swift action every round.

at will spell "passive effects"
    Disrupt Undead: destroy all undead
    Shatter: destroy all nonmagical objects 10lbs/CL
    Arcane Sight: detect all spellcasters
    True Strike: +20 to all attack rolls, and ignore concealment
    Wraith Strike: melee attacks all hit touch AC
    Ray of Stupidity: +X int damage
    Heart of Water: passive Freedom of Movement
    Minor Creation: poison sludge everywhere
    Polymorph: change form anytime (usually outside combat)
    Ooze Puppet: autocontrol any ooze
    Geas: autocompel creatures
    Dispel Magic: dispel everything with CL below 15 (foe CL + 11 VS CL16 + 10)
    Body Outside Body: arbitrary amount of noncasting Living Spell clones
    Grease: 1/2 movement, autodrop held items, autoprone creatures, Balance check to move
    Resinous Tar: 1/2 movement, -5 to Escape Artist & Grapple, full-round to pick weapon up, STR check to stand
    Sticky Floor: 1/2 movement (entangle), Ref check per round or can't move, Escape Artist or STR check to move
    Caustic Mire: 1/2 movement, 1d6 acid damage per round

With the last 3 spells all active, one square costs 40 feet, possibly with standard action just to break free or stand up
    Since she prefers not killing important people who may still be of use to her outside, she usually possesses a Living ETF+Geas to just use them as her pawns.

CR20
    By now, she should have made her grand attack using her clones, sweeping the mortal world clean of magic users while simultaneously compelling those that she already disabled with ETF to join her. She might even gather groups of civilians (including d4 casters who can't cast) as shields to outmaneuver her foes.

If the PCs were unable to stop her, Consequences will indeed replicate the disaster that struck her homeland years ago. Finally, she gets access to the most powerful of spells, including Replicate Casting that enables here to get much more variety Living Spells, Gate that can forcibly send anyone anywhere, and Wish, the mightiest of all. With all her living spells and clones saturating their energy-transformed power, Consequences will have enough powers to cause the disaster, although it'll be too late for her to find out it's at the expense of her own life.

Contrary to some beliefs, however, Consequences isn't out for revenge and never intended to "nuke" the rival nation that destroyed her homeland. Instead, she will set it off at the heart of the wilds, were majority of her fellow feyfolk live. In her deranged and broken brilliance, she wants nothing more than to share to her brethren the same magnificent power that was bestowed upon her by the disaster.
    Spoiler: References
    Show
    Monster Manual II: Sylph
    Monster Manual III: Living Spell
    Fiend Folio: Half-Fey
    Forge of War: Mistling
    Complete Arcane: Mindbender, Extra Spell
    Lords of Madness: Mindsight
    Tome of Battle: Martial Study, maneuvers

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Post Captain Charles Gooding: Salt of the Earth

Captain Charles Gooding: Salt of the Earth

Spoiler: backstory
    Show

Spoiler: Spore
    Show

Journal of Fianeric Torel, summer:

We have been tasked with liberating sacred artifacts from some long-forgotten tomb. In the intervening decades or perhaps even centuries, the place has rotted from both within and without, its body of stones becoming putrid with unspeakable beasts.

It is our somber duty to find what we’re looking for and cleanse the place of its evil taint along the way.

We have contracted the assistance of a guide. He is rumored never to lose his way, not as long as he’s on this plane, no matter how deep underground he goes.

Our letters of writ would not cover him due to certain unsavory rumors about his last expedition. Of course, I myself place little stock in such things, but the need to cover his fee out of my own pocket proved somewhat irksome. While we had plenty of the necessities for our expedition, we tragically had to make do without some of the luxuries.

Overall, I am optimistic about our odds of being back before the harvest.

Spoiler: Multiplication
    Show

Evidently, I was too generous in my prior assessment of this place.

There are traps what seems like every single step. Despite our guild paying through the nose for an expert to disable the damned things, he’s been of little use. His excuse that they had long since rotted away and were no longer in proper operation, just jagged hulks of rusted metal without proper catches to finagle did little to reassure us.

Our guide, who, against normal protocol on excursions such as this insists upon being called by his given name, Charles, has proved far more reliable. While at times we seem to be going in circles, he is quick to explain his rationale. He leads us away from the horrid beasts in the tunnels of this place when they are too much for our hirelings to dispatch, and uses his magic to turn the tides when they’re something we can deal with.

Truthfully, I’m growing concerned. I’ve noticed changes in some of the men during our time here. While I’m no expert in the area, I would wager it’s something to do with the bush meat they seem to have developed a taste for. I don’t trust the stuff myself. While the trail rations are hardly palatable, I don’t need to worry about whatever exotic pathogens are inside them, no matter how good the brightly-colored beasts that skulk around these tunnels smell.

I’ve spotted some of our company wandering the tunnels long after we’ve made camp, talking to themselves about things I can’t follow. When questioned, some of them were evasive. Others said they were talking to the slime molds that drip from the ceiling and make our every footstep sticky. Whatever form of madness afflicts them, I’m sure we can have it over and done with when we get back to the surface.

Spoiler: Aggregation
    Show

Despite Charles’s amiable nature, I am giving him a wide berth from now on.

We lost our thief quite some time ago. He wandered off in the night and Charles found his clothes inside a flesh jelly. We were able to burn it to death. I fear the stench shall never leave me.

As a result, we’re wandering around more or less blind to the less-obvious dangers that lurk within the edifice. Going back is no safer due to the entropic rot that closes tunnels off as soon as we’ve mapped them due to cave-ins or spots being worn smooth by the acid of the slimes and jellies that surge within its halls.

Charles was good enough to take point after the departure of that so-called expert.

He hadn’t taken one step before he tread on some rune-carved button. No doubt a warning was on it in some language none of us could read. Before he knew what hit him, an arrow went straight through his eye.

Due to my position just off to his side, I saw it as clear as day (or at least as close as I can remember. Pelor, how I miss your light)

The arrow stuck in the wall behind him, and not in his head. It was as though it had been shot through water.

And upon it, not a drop of blood.

The men were shaken, but Charles gave one of his amiable laughs that shook his jowls and said he’d been lucky it missed.

I knew it hadn’t, but no one else had seen what I did.

I chose not to share it or try to convince anyone. In truth, I fear I may be succumbing to the madness that infects this place.

I had trouble sleeping that night. Charles offered me a cup of some kind of panacea. An herbal tea from some far-off place. He said it always kept his spirits up.

Though it shames me to say so, once he left my company, I poured it out on the cold, stone floor. I could not bring myself to drink it.

I had no idea what to trust any longer.

Spoiler: Fruiting Body
    Show

I finally have this damned artifact. Were it not for the curse on this place, we could be transported home in an instant. But nothing is ever so simple.

Charles has always had the eye of a naturalist when talking about the monsters that live in this place. He doesn’t judge their behavior when they burn us, break us, or eat us alive. At times, he sounds almost fond of the beasts.

Especially the oozes.

The fewer of us remained, the more he talked. About their bioluminescence, their pheromones, their slime trails and quizzical reproductive habits. My patience winnowed, but the last thing I needed by now was to push my luck.

One of our last remaining porters triggered a trap. Some fiendish device that launched a blade, long pitted and scarred with age, at knee level from the wall. It embedded itself on the other side of the corridor with a horrible clang nearly loud enough to drown out the boy’s screams.

I went to help him, but Charles told me to go on ahead, he had to make sure the area was safe before anyone else got hurt.

All I could think about was how he said all this on his own two feet. He’d been standing right next to the boy. The blade had passed right through him, like a knife through butter, and he didn’t seem any worse for the wear.

I waited around the corner and heard something eerily like one of those predatory blobs feeding. I looked around to warn Charles, but I was too late. Some beige ooze was spread out over the boy, undulating across him, the blood from his stumps leaching into it.

I reached for a flask of smokeless fire to scare it away, but Charles’s voice chided me to wait.

He was nowhere in sight.

The ooze slid off the boy’s form, white bone in its wake as though he had lain here a hundred years. It poured itself into Charles’s shape, his apple belly and round cheeks looking as solid as ever.

He told me there was no sense leaving food out for the oozes. It would only attract more of them.

I had no stomach for such things, but drew my sword, trying not to let it waver and told him we could travel together no longer.

He laughed and told me the tunnel to the surface was just the next right. He would remain behind. If we ever required his services again, we’d know where to find him.

Though it shames me to admit it, as far as I know, he’s still down there. I pray I never see the day I have to find out.

Spoiler: ability scores
    Show

str 13
    dex 12
    con 14
    int 10
    wis 15 (increases here)
    cha 8

Spoiler: build stub
    Show

NE human cloistered cleric 1/oozemaster 10/contemplative 9

Spoiler: build table
    Show

1 Cloistered Cleric 1 +0 +2 +0 +2 concentration 4, craft (alchemy) 4, diplo 4, k(religion) 4, k (planes) 4, spellcraft 4, swim 4 far horizons, eldritch corruption rebuke undead, lore, knowledge devotion, dwarf domain, planning domain
    2 Oozemaster 1 +0 +4 +0 +2 k(nature) 4, k(religion) 1 (5) Minor oozy touch 1 (gray ooze)
    3 Oozemaster 2 +1 +5 +0 +2 k (nature) 2 (6), k(religion) 1 (6), spellcraft 2 (6) mastery of faerie enchantment Charisma penalty —1, oozy glob 1 /day, slithery face
    4 Oozemaster 3 +2 +5 +1 +3 disguise 3, k (nature) 1 (7), k(religion) 1 (7) Minor oozy touch 2 (ochre jelly)
    5 Oozemaster 4 +3 +6 +1 +3 concentration 2 (6), disguise 1 (4), k (nature) 1 (8), k (religion) 1 (8) Charisma penalty —2, oozy glob 2/day, malleability
    6 Oozemaster 5 +3 +6 +1 +3 concentration 2 (8), disguise 1 (5), k (nature) 1 (9), k (religion) 1 (9) magic of the land Major oozy touch 1 (green slime)
    7 Oozemaster 6 +4 +7 +2 +4 concentration 1 (9), disguise 2 (7), k (nature) 1 (10), k (religion) 1 (10) Charisma penalty —3, oozy glob 3/day, indiscernible anatomy
    8 Oozemaster 7 +5 +7 +2 +4 concentration 2 (11), disguise 1 (9), k (nature) 1 (11), k (religion) 1 (11), Major oozy touch 2 (gelatinous cube)
    9 Oozemaster 8 +6/+1 +8 +2 +4 concentration 1 (12), disguise 2 (11), k (nature) 1 (12), k (religion) contagious paralysis Charisma penalty —4, oozy glob 4/day, slime wave
    10 Oozemaster 9 +6/+1 +8 +3 +5 concentration 1 (13), disguise 2 (13), k (nature) 1 (13), k (religion) 1 (13) Major oozy touch 3 (black pudding)
    11 Oozemaster 10 +7/+2 +9 +3 +5 concentration 1 (14), disguise 1 (14), heal 1 (3), k (nature) 1 (14), k (religion) 1 (14) Charisma penalty —5, oozy glob 5/day, one with the ooze
    12 Contemplative 1 +7/+2 +9 +3 +7 diplo 2 (6), k (religion) 1(15) death blow bonus domain: time, divine health
    13 Contemplative 2 +8/+3 +9 +3 +8 diplo 2 (8), k (religion) 1 (16) Slippery mind
    14 Contemplative 3 +8/+3 +10 +4 +8 diplo 2 (10), k (religion) 1 (17) Divine wholeness
    15 Contemplative 4 +9/+4 +10 +4 +9 diplo 2 (12), k (religion) 1 (18) practiced spellcaster
    16 Contemplative 5 +9/+4 +10 +4 +9 diplo 2 (14), k (religion) 1 (19) Divine body
    17 Contemplative 6 +10/+5 +11 +5 +10 diplo 2 (16), k (religion) 1 (20) Bonus domain:travel
    18 Contemplative 7 +10/+5 +11 +5 +10 diplo 2 (18) k (religion) 1 (21) harvester of souls Divine soul
    19 Contemplative 8 +11/+6/+1 +11 +5 +11 diplo 2 (20), k (religion) 1 (22))
    20 Contemplative 9 +11/+6/+1 +12 +6 +11 diplo 2 (22), k (reilgion) 1 (23) Eternal body

Spoiler: spell chart
    Show

Spells per Day
    Level 0lvl 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st 3 1+1 - - - - - - - -
    2nd - - - - - - - - - -
    3rd 4 2+1 - - - - - - - -
    4th - - - - - - - - - -
    5th 4 2+1 1+1 - - - - - - -
    6th - - - - - - - - - -
    7th 5 3+1 2+1 - - - - - - -
    8th - - - - - - - - - -
    9th 5 3+1 2+1 1+1 - - - - - -
    10th - - - - - - - - - -
    11th 5 3+1 3+1 2+1 - - - - - -
    12th 6 4+1 3+1 2+1 1+1 - - - - -
    13th 6 4+1 3+1 3+1 2+1 - - - - -
    14th 6 4+1 4+1 3+1 2+1 1+1 - - - -
    15th 6 4+1 4+1 3+1 3+1 2+1 - - - -
    16th 6 5+1 4+1 4+1 3+1 2+1 1+1 - - -
    17th 6 5+1 4+1 4+1 3+1 3+1 2+1 - - -
    18th 6 5+1 5+1 4+1 4+1 3+1 2+1 1+1 - -
    19th 6 5+1 5+1 4+1 4+1 3+1 3+1 2+1 - -
    20th 6 5+1 5+1 5+1 4+1 4+1 3+1 2+1 1+1 -

Spoiler: playtips
    Show

Spoiler: lvl 5
    Show

you’ve got spells and you’re already in oozemaster. Part of what I wanted to showcase with this build is the earliest entry and the maximum amount of prcs at 19 levels. Far horizons nabs you swim as a class skill, along with other great utility spells to your cleric list, eldritch corruption allows you to cast 1sts as 3rds via use of heighten, planning allows you extend spell which qualifies you for eldritch corruption, and dwarf domain grants great fortitude.

Cast spells, enjoy the free extend on all enchantment mastery of faerie initiate grants you and have fun hurling oozy globs at people. You have the gray ooze’s acid damage which harms animal, vegetable, and mineral, and the ochre jelly’s as well when you need to kill enemies and not harm the environment.

Malleability means if there’s even a 1 inch hole, you can get through it. The possibilities are nearly limitless, and with the use of the acid from gray ooze, you can bore small holes through walls and doors and get through them in short order.

Cloistered cleric’s knowledge domain transforms into knowledge devotion and among other things gives a new knowledge skill that is a class skill forevermore. In this instance, it is religion, since oozemaster has no use for such things, and we need it to qualify for contemplative.

Cleric pulls it weight from the beginning. It’s got many great spells, and one of particular note is blood wind, which will allow you to treat your oozy touches as thrown attacks, letting you inflict con damage at range.

Spoiler: lvl 10
    Show

magic of the land allows you to heal yourself and your pals and make use of your nature oozemaster helpfully imparts. your first major oozy touch from the humble green slime is online, allowing you to deal no-save 1d6 con damage at will, which will kill just about anything.

You’re lightly fortified thanks to your increasingly plastic anatomy, and can paralyze foes due to the paralytic touch of the gelatinous cube. At a minimum, enemies are paralyzed for 10 rounds, so that’s more than enough to last the whole combat.

Your paralysis doesn’t end there, since it is now contagious. When enemies try to pick up or move a paralyzed creature, they get paralyzed too. Very efficient.

Black pudding’s helping out too, letting you deal more acid damage when you have occasion for it.

Spoiler: lvl 15
    Show

You are now one with the ooze and have obtained the ooze type with all its concordant benefits. Congratulations. You are also in contemplative, picking up a bunch of other goodies to improve your resiliency including immunity to all disease, even magical ones, some self healing, and the time domain.

In addition to all its great spells, it gives improved initiative, which no character will complain about. Aside from its primary benefit of helping you go first more often, it also pays the tax for death blow, which allows you to coup de grace as a standard instead of a full round. With all the people you’re paralyzing, this allows you to deal with enemies more quickly and continue to be mobile around the battlefield.

While your ooze type does protect you from most enchantment, since it’s mind-affecting, slippery mind fills the few remaining gaps, such as freezing glance and anathema, giving you another chance to protect your slippery self.

Spoiler: lvl 20
    Show

contemplative gives some more spells, travel domain, spell resistance, immunity to poison, and you no longer rack up aging penalties. you stop short of level 10 because 1) you ran out of room, and 2) ooze is a way better type than outsider anyway. practiced spellcaster helps keep you in step and you round out with 8ths, a bunch of domains, and all kinds of oozy powers. harvester of souls is online allowing you to keep your enemies from being brought back and giving you a little extra health from yet another source on top of it when you coup de grace them, made easier from deathblow earlier, which cascades down from your paralytic ability from oozemaster

Spoiler: sources
    Show

srd: cloistered cleric
    races of destiny: far horizon
    complete champion: knowledge devotion
    heroes of horror: eldritch corruption
    masters of the wild: ooze master
    complete divine: contemplative
    player’s guide to eberron: mastery of faerie enchantment
    libris mortis: contagious paralysis
    complete adventurer: death blow
    elder evils: harvester of souls
    races of the wild: magic of the land
    complete arcane: practiced spellcaster

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XIX: He Slimed Me!

...and there we go. Congrats to all entrants, in what was a bit of a challenging round.

Feel free to post, and judges feel free to volunteer.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, what a great turnout. Some really exciting builds here. Can't wait to read everything.

Iron Chef Medals!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm, btw, wasn't there an Assassin spell that turns you into an ooze?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Hmmm, btw, wasn't there an Assassin spell that turns you into an ooze?
    Amorphous form doesn't turn you into an ooze. You can squeeze through small cracks, and pick up immunity to polymorphing, stunning, crits, poison, flanking, and lets you swim and breathe underwater, but you don't get any of ooze's other goodies. plus you lose all your own powers. it's sort of a mixed bag.

Iron Chef Medals!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, I just remembered that there was mention of an intelligent gelatinous cube in Magic of Incarnum. Not really related to build ideas, but it's something that I thought would be okay to mention. I think it was the head of the Sewer Workers' Guild or something...
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Villainous Competition XIX: He Slimed Me!

So I see we got a Thrall of Juiblex and an Oozemaster, but no Slime Lord.

Also, by my reckoning, these are only two non-mindless oozes before templates are applied: Summoning Ooze (MM3, Int 10) & Conflagration ooze (MM3 Int 9)...

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Reason Stealer could also qualify. Doesn't have any by default, but steals the intelligence score of things it eats. I wanted to find some way to build around one, but couldn't think of something interesting enough to do with it, so I just focused on my main build.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well i wasn't able to Submit so i will put a Picture and the table here~

Spoiler: Druanda Nengi Drooden
    Show

[QUOTE=D&DPrinceTandem]
    Spoiler: Picture
    Show

CR[LVL] Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Feats Special
    8[10] Outsider +10/+5 +7 +7 +7 [B] Exotic
    weapon pro: Hand crossbow
    F]Thrall to demon
    1: Weapon focus: Tendril
    3: Alertness
    6: Willing deformity
    9: Power attack
    At will—detect thoughts (DC ), dominate person (DC ), darkness, desecrate, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), spider climb, stone shape, web (DC )
    Lolth’s favor,
    mind blank,
    rapid shapeshifter
    Humanoid form
    Gaseous Form
    Spider form
    Telepathy 100ft
    9[11] Warshaper 1 +10/+5 +9 +7 +7 Morphic Immunites
    Morphic Weapon
    10[12] Warshaper 2 +11/+6/+1 +10 +8 +8 12: Improved Critical: Tendril Morphic Body
    11[13] Slimelord 1 +11/+6/+1 +10 +10 +8 Paralytic Slime, Pseudopods 1/day
    12[14] Souleater 1 +12/+7/+2 +12 +12 +10 Energy drain
    13[15] Thrall of juiblex 1 +13/+8/+3 +14 +14 +12 15: Cleave Sickening slime
    14[16] Thrall of juiblex 2 +14/+9/+4 +15 +14 +13 Corrosive touch
    15[17] Thrall of juiblex 3 +15/+10/+5 +15 +15 +13 Summon ooze [At/will]
    16[18] Warshaper 3 +16/+11/+6/+1 +15 +15 +13 18: Greater cleave Morphic Reach
    17[19] Warshaper 4 +17/+12/+7/+2 +16 +15 +14 Morphic Healing
    18[20] Warshaper 5 +17/+12/+7/+2 +16 +15 +14 Flashmorph
    19[21] Fighter 1 +18/+13/+8/+3 +18 +15 +14 21: Devastating critical Bonus feat: Overwhelming critical
    20[22] Fighter 2 +19/+14/+9/+4 +19 +15 +14 Bonus feat: Multiattack

To give the community something to do as they are waiting for Judges and all of that, I ask for YOU to give this Villain a Background!

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post

Also, by my reckoning, these are only two non-mindless oozes before templates are applied: Summoning Ooze (MM3, Int 10) & Conflagration ooze (MM3 Int 9)...
    ..... Sorry i wasn't fast enough.....
    Last edited by D&DPrinceTandem; 2017-03-27 at 01:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappeercraft
    NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Oh yeah, I just remembered that there was mention of an intelligent gelatinous cube in Magic of Incarnum. Not really related to build ideas, but it's something that I thought would be okay to mention. I think it was the head of the Sewer Workers' Guild or something...
    Oh, you probably mean in incarnum ooze or someth-

Quote Originally Posted by MoI p13
    In settlements where rilkans are the majority, other races are welcomed with open arms. This extends even to bugbears, orcs, gnolls, and other “monstrous” races, as long as they keep
    the peace. In one famous rilkan city, the head of the Sewer Workers Guild is an intelligent gelatinous cube.
    What the heck.

back in 3.0 he was called jubilex

that might have something to do with slime lord being a terrible class.

Quote Originally Posted by Technetium43 View Post
    Reason Stealer could also qualify. Doesn't have any by default, but steals the intelligence score of things it eats. I wanted to find some way to build around one, but couldn't think of something interesting enough to do with it, so I just focused on my main build.
    I thought about reason stealer too, but I figured only having an int some of the time would probably not go over too well with the judges, plus it's a lot of bookkeeping.

EDIT: cool yochlol picture, D&DPrinceTandem
    Last edited by Venger; 2017-03-27 at 01:44 AM.

Iron Chef Medals!

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XIX: He Slimed Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    back in 3.0 he was called jubilex
    I'm pretty sure in my AD&D days, he was called Jubilex in a lot of the books.

What the heck.
    I wonder if he was a Monk?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Bugbear in the Playground

that might have something to do with slime lord being a terrible class.

EDIT: cool yochlol picture, D&DPrinceTandem
    I think Slime lord can use some help [via warshaper] But it is quite strong at low levels due to its Parasitical Slime which applies to Natural attacks. Combine that with Warshaper and you have quite the stun lock.....

And thank you!
    Last edited by D&DPrinceTandem; 2017-03-27 at 01:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappeercraft
    NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure in my AD&D days, he was called Jubilex in a lot of the books.

I wonder if he was a Monk?
    Oh, yes, of course. What I meant was he was called jubilex straight through til 3.0, then in 3.5 they switched over to calling him juiblex. I have no idea why. I just know there's a typo in some book where he's called "jubiblex" but I can't for the life of me find it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by D&DPrinceTandem View Post
    I think Slime lord can use some help [via warshaper] But it is quite strong at low levels due to its Parasitical Slime which applies to Natural attacks. Combine that with Warshaper and you have quite the stun lock.....

And thank you!
    I have a number of tricks for when I build slime lords, but I'll wait to discuss them after the reveal, since they bear a certain similarity to a couple of the dishes.

any time
    Last edited by Venger; 2017-03-27 at 01:52 AM.

Iron Chef Medals!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Banned

Curses. Just minutes away from being on time.

Well, perhaps I'll be able to salvage some of this for the next round.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting builds all around!

I had a number of ideas before settling on my final one (which did get submitted).

One was a Phaerlin Giant/Thrall of Juiblex who'd summon gelatinous cubes and throw them with Fling Ally or somesuch, but I ended up dropping it as the rules for throwing creatures are a mess.

I also worked on a Cesspit Ooze that'd use an acidic version of the Locate City Bomb to send small countries in a homicidal frenzy. I stopped developing it because its actual combat ability fell short of my expectations.

Finally, I briefly considered finding a way to use the Ghaunadan's gaze on yourself somehow, as a +8 bonus to charisma is pretty interesting, but I couldn't find anything other than the questionable 'any creature can always suppress its immunities' text from the SRD.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!