Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 89
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Now every sailor knows
    Of the sea's shifting moods
    How quickly they change
    As they often do

    For a moment, so calm
    That one feels right at home
    On her light, lulling waves
    And ripples of foam

    Yet the next, she grows angry
    Scathing with rage
    Pulling ship and man alike
    Into her watery cage

    So take heed, young sailor
    When trav'ling far and wide
    Keep in mind the sea
    And her ever-changing tide


    ~Sailor's Chant





    Spoiler: Crew
    Show
    This will also be posted in the OOC.

    Captain Penelope Williams: Captain – in charge. Her blurb is in the world info.

    Linnea O’Hale: Quartermaster – handles bounty-hunting, distribution of resources, in charge of anchors, ship’s little boats, rigging while at dock. For a person who’s technically in charge of the more violent jobs that the Atalante’s crew takes on, she’s surprisingly diminutive and sweet. Though in that regard, she’s actually the perfect person to essentially be the crew’s caretaker, since she’ll always make sure that everyone is well-fed and well-paid, something that she is delighted to do at Captain Williams’s request. This has made her one of the most well-liked members of the crew.

    Nelson Brynne: First Mate – takes over if the Captain can no longer perform his duties. Also a bit of a messenger for Captain Williams, someone she can count on to help get things done faster. He’s a bit of a hardass, but no one questions his right to his job – they know that if anything happens to Captain Williams, they can count on him to do the things that need to get done. Interestingly, he seems to have a bit of a thing for Linnea, as his scowl seems to lessen and he sounds just a tad less angry when she’s around.

    Marina Pritz: Master Carpenter – makes necessary repairs, fills holes if need be, etc. She and Victoria are good friends. Marina is a bit quiet, mostly staying to subtly keeping herself up to date on the ship’s condition. Anyone who has talked to her knows she’s very kind, though.

    John Vincarle: Lookout – keeps an eye out for trouble, or perhaps opportunities, depending on how you look at it. He spends most of his time up in the crow’s nest, so he’s kind of detached from the rest of the crew. He has a wife and two kids back in Palamos, and he carries a small locket with their pictures close to him at all times.

    Zachary Van Holt:
    Master Gunner – not actual guns. The Atalante is equipped with high-pressure torpedo/javelin-like weapons with which she can defend herself – or go on the offensive with if necessary. Zachary’s awfully proud of this – he not only is a decent sharpshooter, but also maintains the weapons himself rather than rely on Marina to do it. He’ll tell anyone who will listen to him about the many heroic deeds he’s done while on the ship, though the rest of the crew has told you repeatedly that he, ahem, tends to exaggerate.

    Victoria Bremsworth: Master Pilot – steers the ship, takes the wheel. Knows the ship well in terms of dimensions, sturdiness, etc. Victoria, in particular, can recount all of the details off the top of her head. Before she became a sailor, she was studying to be an accountant, in fact, and so she sometimes helps Linnea out with the ship’s finances, when needed. She tends to spend long hours at the wheel, switching off with Nimm when necessary.

    Nimm Landon: Navigator – map person, star chart person. Is in charge of knowing where you’re going. She’s normally very bright and happy-go-lucky, in stark contrast to Victoria’s more neutral, nonchalant attitude. The other crew members often wonder how on earth they work together so well when they’re so different, but somehow, it just works. Lately, though, she seems a little down, or just a little less energetic than usual. No one’s more confused as to why as those two.

    Carla Smythe: Master Surgeon – For all your seasickness – just kidding, jeez being prone to seasickness would really suck for a sailor – medical needs, Dr. Carla Smythe has been the ship’s surgeon for four years and counting. Having gotten her education during a stint in Crest, she’s somewhat reluctant to share details of her past, but has always been warm and friendly to the crew.

    And now we have you four...

    Ary & Roc: Scouts, works with John.
    Yorshka: Helps with resources, works closely with Linnea.
    Sinta: Medic, works with Dr. Smythe.
    Bellerophontes: Jack of All Trades. Helps out with anything from manipulating the sails, scrubbing the deck, messengering... works somewhat closely with Nelson, kind of as a First First Mate.


    Spoiler: Information
    Show
    The way the cabins are set up, you don't share with all the other women/men, but you each have three cabinmates, for 4 to a room.

    Ary - Your cabinmates are Yorshka, Marina, and Nim.
    Bellerophontes - Your cabinmates are Zachary, John, and Nelson.
    Yorshka - Your cabinmates are Ary, Marina, and Nim.
    Sinta - Your cabinmates are Linnea, Victoria, and Carla.





    You rise in your cabins, some earlier than others. The green-tinted ocean filters little light through your window, but you've gotten up at about the same time every day since you started working for Captain Williams, and this day is no different. Looking around, you see that most of your cabinmates have already gotten out of bed and begun their day - that's little surprise, actually. They've been at this much longer than you, after all.

    You reach under your bed for a pack containing your rations for the week, consisting of hard bread and dried meat, although you also notice a fresh piece of fruit, courtesy of Yorshka. After quickly finishing your meal, you carry on with your day.

    Spoiler: Ary
    Show
    John will have been up for hours by now, manning the crow's nest. When you're ready, you can climb up there and join him, though he usually doesn't mind if you take some time for yourself to talk to people or just spend some time on deck. Song will be up on the deck by now, as John typically doesn't like to share the crow's nest with her and she's an early riser.


    Spoiler: Bellerophontes
    Show
    Your day typically starts with going to see if Nelson has anything he wants you to do. He doesn't like when you're late, but Captain Williams told him to take it easy on you - you're still a new recruit, after all.


    Spoiler: Yorshka
    Show
    You're typically free to do as you like on the ship as Captain Williams isn't entirely sure what to do with you. If you want to make yourself useful, you usually go to Linnea. Around noon, you should probably go cook lunch, but for now... up to you!


    Spoiler: Sinta
    Show
    You spend most of your time with Dr. Smythe, but as you're still new, she doesn't mind if you spend time talking to the others around the ship, so long as you're not interfering with their work.
    Last edited by Ceralune; 2017-03-08 at 09:40 PM.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Cut the potato...

    Yorshka is perhaps one of the most known people on the ship, just by virtue of how much she stands out; a rather aloof, yet curious elven girl with ashen-white hair and blue eyes, she cuts a rather short figure at only 5'2", not really possessing a figure that seems suited for a sailor... yet having surprising strength behind it.

    She's been working a lot with the Quartermaster, Linnea, having a little bit of a little sister-big sister relationship with her, perhaps. She's been very eager to please, and very eager to learn around the ship.

    Perhaps most noteworthy is how she's roped the rats on the ship into a little fighting force that fights off other rats that try to get onboard, all for a very modest fee of some of Yorshka's food. Couple that with her affinity for other animals, and her ability to create water with her druidic magic, and you've got someone that simply benefits a ship by being onboard.

    Currently, she's cooking lunch...

    Culinary skills are something of a mystery to her, but she tries hard, really.

    Cut, cut, cut, she works somewhat slowly, without the confidence of experience to back her up. A sign outside at the mess hall says:

    [[ TODAY'S LUNCH: POTATO CURRY ]]

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Woggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Bellerophontes rises early, as he usually does. Careful not to disturb his cabin-mates, he sits himself crosslegged on his bunk with his sword laid across lap. His long dark-brown hair drapes forward, partially obscuring his face as he murmurs to himself. As the others begin to rise he finishes his communion and eats his rations and (very welcome) piece of fruit quickly. He ties his hair back, straps on his sword belt, and hurries off to find First Mate Brynne. As hard as the first mate was, Bellerophontes nevertheless had taken a liking to the man. One always new where one stood with Brynne, and that Bellerophontes appreciated that consistency.

    On the way he nods to Yorshka in greeting as he passes the galley. Hmm, wonder what she'll get the rats to do next... I just hope they don't start helping with the cooking, Bellerophontes thinks to himself.

    Once he's above decks, Bellerophontes gives the ship's new scout, Ary, a wave, then beelines for the first mate.

    "Have you anything for me this morning, sir?" Bellerophontes asks Nelson, a little breathlessly.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2017-03-07 at 09:38 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Ary is on the deck shortly after waking. Despite the fact that trouble hadn't been seen since they managed their little side work, she was wearing all of her typical armor and weaponry. It was... quite a bit to see, particularly on such a small person, but she carried it with aplomb. The woman happily returned a wave to Bellerophontes and threw one at the others on the crew, but before she could even finish this little ritual a soft cry could be heard from above.

    John, who never seemed to get over his little scare on first meeting her, would be happy to see Song depart from the nest and fly on down to the deck to greet Ary. The halfling laughed as the bird landed and the young woman quickly embraced the creature, earning a light chirping and a few careful nudges. No doubt Song was as eager as Ary to get going. Ever since the two had managed to fly without crashing together they had done so regularly.

    First, however, was the matter of getting permission. With the Captain still beneath the deck she hopped on to Ary and had the bird race over to where Nelson stood on the deck, managing the distance it what appeared to be a small hop. The bird chirped happily but continued to dance left and right as she eagerly awaited taking actual flight. Ary, on the other hand, sat confident and relaxed in the saddle as she gave an informal salute and smile to the first mate.

    "Permission to head on out, Nelson?" While Ary was normally happy to do away with formalities there were a few fine maritime laws one did not ignore. Getting permission to leave the ship was one of them, even if it was temporary, and especially when you were out on open sea.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Sintaveyana wakes at the same time she always does, since her arrival on the Atalante. It's taken some time for her to truly grow accustomed to the change in surroundings - the soft bedding, the constant rocking, the wood. It's quite an odd concept for her to wrap her mind around, that they were traveling across the endless, hostile ocean waters in a vessel made from fallen trees. Of course, stone and steel were unsuited for the task, both being far too heavy, but wood seemed inherently flimsy by comparison, even though Sintaveyana had seen the woodworkers perform incredible feats with it and was now living in one such incredible example of its capabilities. Perhaps wood was a good analogy for this odd society. Simultaneously dangerously devoid of the rigid strength of her own, but - perhaps due to such a lack of proper structure - able to bend and adapt to move across the waves.

    Of course, such thoughts were generally confined to the morning and evening. Sintaveyana was too busy learning, watching, working, to spend too much time with idle thought. Taking a small handful of the dried bread, Sintaveyana speaks a few words of her native tongue, before consuming the only food she would need for the day. Sometimes she was convinced to have more, by members of the crew. It wasn't until one argued it was a part of their culture she was missing out on that she relented and began to eat more than she required, though the clear waste didn't sit well with her. Perhaps they were simply of such wealth that is wasn't a problem. They did, after all, come from a society spread across hundreds of islands, many much larger than the archipelago she was from. Such land must have bountiful resources for it to support such a people.

    Not long after she wakes, Sintaveyana leaves the room she shares with three other members of the crew. All people she had much to learn from, even if the majority of this learning needed to be done quietly. She had been instructed to keep her mission a secret. Even though she doubts, given her experiences, that the crew will hold any ill will towards her for doing her best to learn their ways, Sintaveyana obviously gives no thought to potentially revealing her true goals. Especially when she was after the true face of the society she was working her way into - the one that was showing when they weren't aware that every detail was being watched, when they didn't worry of giving the wrong impression to Sintaveyana's people.

    It's during her normal circuit of the ship that Sintaveyana pauses at the doorway to the mess hall, looking at the sign with a moment's pause. She had been told that she could take some time to speak to other of the crew - in the typical, excruciatingly vague fashion of the sea-people - as long as there wasn't excess work to do, and there wasn't. Having a great deal of work to do at all times as one of the ship's healers and holders of healing knowledge would be a bad thing, after all. So, instead of going directly to Doctor Smythe (who is, coincidentally, one of the few people on the ship with a proper title), Sintaveyana goes further into the mess hall, looking for the peculiar short elven girl who has a tendency to be nearby. As the distinctive sound of a blade coming down on a cutting board reaches her, Sintaveyana knows she's at the right place, and continues forward until she finds her.

    "A pleasant morning unto you, Quartermaster-Aid Rat Tamer Yorshka," Sinvateyana speaks, her speech overtly formal, each syllable enunciated clearly. The title is one she gave the woman herself; even if the people around her seemed to lack a proper awareness of politeness and etiquette, she would not lose hers. "The sign outside, if it was placed by you, implies a quite unusual dish is to be served at this day's mid-day meal. I have yet to encounter this food, and wonder: is it a common cuisine, among your people?"
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Several of the rats scurry about in unison around Yorshka's feet, giving a cute little salute as they apparently report something to the elven girl. "... Good job, Cinq, Sechs ..." she expresses admiringly to her little companions, before glancing back towards Sinta. She looks to be in the middle of cutting a truly prodiguous amount of potatoes, a whole wicker basket-ful, and she's being very careful with her cutting, given how misshapen some of the pieces are.

    "... it is... Linnea's idea..." she whispered, her voice always floating in and out, barely above sotto voce. "There were spices... she bought at port... apparently, it is a tasty recipe..." She pointed to several small glass jars of what looks like ground cumin, cinnamon and cardamom.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Bellerophontes and Ary

    The sea looks pleasant today, sparkling in response to the sun's rays that spill out over its surface. The waves, however, look a bit rough, churning back and forth halfheartedly before dissolving into foam. Nothing that the Atalante can't handle, but it is a strange juxtaposition with the serenely blue sky, speckled with white clouds.

    Nelson looks at Bellerophontes as he hastily approaches, appearing perhaps a bit conflicted at the title of "sir," like he's not sure whether he likes it due to the implied respect that comes with it or dislikes it because Captain Williams has already reiterated several times that they new crew members should think of each other as extended family. In the end, though, he makes a quiet, satisfied "Hn," in his smooth baritone and gets on with what he'd like for you to do in his usual strict tone. "I believe Marina was going to give the rigging a look over. Make sure that none of them are about to snap, and all that. You may as well go on and help her out." He glances at Ary as she paces over. "You too, actually. There's been some strange air currents going on, and Nim can't figure out why on earth that is. She wanted to tell you that she doesn't think it's a good idea to go out flying too far away from the ship right now. We'll wait until they die down a bit. I think it'll be more helpful for you to have that bird of yours fly around the masts, if you can. Besides, we should be arriving in Iztah later today. There shouldn't be any dangers in these waters - they're all protected by the Verlioz Union. Get a move on, then." He briefly nods to you in farewell before heading down below deck.

    As it turns out, Marina's not too far away, standing at the base of the Atalante's main-mast, near the center of the ship. She seems to be peering up at the sails while giving a downhaul an experimental tug, and blinks at you in mild surprise when she sees you. "Ohh, good morning you two. Anything I can do for you?"
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Woggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Bellerophontes gives himself a little mental kick when he sees the look on Nelson's face. Right. They're family, not your superiors. Well, they are your superiors, but that's not the point. The habits Bellerophontes had formed from a few short stints serving on other ships were proving harder to break than he'd thought. The crew were understanding, however, and he'd get the hand of it soon, he was sure.

    Bellerophontes nods in acknowledgment to Nelson, then heads off with Ary to find Marina.

    "Morning. First Ma-- er, Nelson said you were looking to check over the rigging, and thought we could help. Where did you want us to start?" Bellerophontes glances upward at the mainmast, shedding his eyes with his hand. "Maybe I could start with the lower rigging and Ary and Song can start higher? What with the... flying, and such."
    Last edited by Woggle; 2017-03-08 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Added a bit of dialogue
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Bellerophontes and Ary

    Marina smiles brightly in response to the offered help, nodding her head eagerly. "Ohh, sure! Right now I just want to make sure that the rigging around the masts is secure. Hmm, yes, you should definitely get the higher ones, Ary - they should be much easier for you and Song to manage than I," she chuckles. "I don't think you'll find any frayed ropes - or at least, I hope you won't - but just check around for any worn areas that are starting to give way. And check for cracks around the mast where the rigging meets the wood. I can focus on checking the tension of the ropes to make sure that's in order while you two take care of that." She carries on tugging each of the ropes one at a time, not hard enough to change the sails' current settings but presumably so that she can examine the tension.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Make Perception checks.
    Last edited by Ceralune; 2017-03-08 at 09:39 PM.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Woggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    "Right, I'm on it." Bellerophontes nods curtly and sets off for the bow of the ship. He checks the fastenings on the various lines, shrouds and stays, keeping an eye out for any unusual wear or fraying. He makes his way from the bow to the stern of the ship, taking his time not to miss any rope.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Perception for Bellerophontes:

    Perception - (1d20+3)[6]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Song chirped happily, not understanding, and Ary simply nodded in reply to the first mate. It wasn't exactly anything she was trained for but it wasn't the first time they had been asked either. Besides if the wind was strange a storm might be coming in, which would be trouble for them. She walked on over to Marina alongside Bell and, upon getting more specific instructions, hopped back into Song's saddle.

    Together the pair fluttered up the mast and began checking rigging was secure and the mast itself was stable. It took a little while to navigate, since Song wasn't very good at just holding a position in the air just yet, but eventually Ary managed to get through quite a bit of it. Despite the small amount of trouble she faced it would have been much harder for someone else without a winged friend and she circled back down too Marina to report her findings.

    "The rigging's looked fine, I think," Ary thought they did at least, "But there was definitely a small crack on the mast over there." She pointed to the mast in question and tried to point to where the crack was.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Of course, the rats. Sintaveyana has been intrigued by the elf's control over the creatures - it raised a great deal of questions. Was it evidence of some kind of greater order in the outside world? It didn't seem to be, but perhaps it was merely that only a small portion of those living in it were part of this hierarchy. Of course, this remains speculation, as the soft-spoken Yorshka is one of the last members of the crew Sintaveyana speaks to, generally. The conversations of two relatively quiet personalities, one of which relied on watching the interactions of others and only nominally being involved in most exchanges, were far from productive in most cases.

    Sintaveyana's eyes go over the glasses quickly, finding nothing but yet more foreign powders in foreign containers, as she considers Yorshka's words. "I do not have knowledge of the spices, nor the dish, but if Linnea expects it to be a pleasant eating experience, I anticipate it to be one as well. I may partake in the meal," she says, wondering if the odd shape of the potato slices are intentional. Perhaps it was simply not expected to have uniform shape? It wouldn't surprise her, given the lack of regulation in most other parts of life on the ship.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    The odd potato shapes may be part of the meal... or it may be Yorshka's ineptitude with a knife, given the odd shapes of carrots, bell peppers and other vegetables that have shown up in prior meals. "... please look forward to it..." she whispered, sounding -- not that excited, but one that knew Yorshka probably knows that this is about as much enthusiasm she can muster at the moment, bowing her head.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Bellerophontes, Ary and Song

    Looking over the rigging takes you the rest of the morning, as you take care to scrutinize each section of rope while Marina continues examining in a way that requires a more subtle, fine-tuned sense. Bellerophontes starts from the bottom and works his way up, while Ary and Song use a top-down approach due to their advantage of flight. They meet somewhere in the middle, though the latter two seem to cover more ground due to the lack of ladders as an extra complication.

    Marina receives your reports at the end. When Ary brings up the slowly forming crack in one of the masts, she paces over to the mast in question and squints up at the area Ary is pointing in. "Huh... alright, I'll get up there later today with something to seal it with," she mutters quietly. "Thanks you two! I'm going to go find some food now. I wonder if Yorshka made anything... Linnea had her learning how to cook, right? Something freshly made sure does sound better than hardtack..." With this thought in mind, Marina starts wandering off in the direction of the ship's new mess hall.




    As it turns out, many others wander into the mess hall as noon rolls around. Some are noticeably absent - John, for one, is probably still up in the crow's nest and, since Victoria is here, Nim is probably manning the wheel in her stead. Captain Williams has yet to make an appearance as well. Most everyone who doesn't have a job occupying themselves, however, trickles in and greets Sinta and Yorshka upon entering. Victoria is the last one to enter just before Marina does. "Hey. I'm here for lunch," Victoria says in her usual flat tone, with hooded eyes that give her a resting look of disinterest, though they light up as they smell the aroma wafting out of the mess hall.

    Spoiler: Yorshka
    Show
    Make a Profession (Cook) check.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    With Ary grounded for the day, the halfling quickly grows restless. She could only circle the ship so many times on Song's back without straying away toward the horizon before it drove her and Song mad. Eventually the two landed on the deck again, looking less tired and more antsy. Song immediately went up to the Crow's Nest again, likely to John's discomfort, while Ary traveled below deck to get some grub for the both of them.

    It was at this time that she noticed a sign. Potato Curry? Ary had never heard of that before. Well, she'd heard of Potato's but what the heck was curry? Ever the adventurer the halfling moved quickly into the mess to find out. She didn't even bother with settling at one of the few tables and instead moved to the room where everything was being made.

    "Whatcha cooking?" She asked those in the kitchen, her smaller voice carried largely by confidence.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    The "mess hall" is, as it turns out, really just a room that the crew all threw together for Yorshka's new job. With tables that are no more than cleaned-off stacks of lumber and chairs that are essentially just overturned crates, it doesn't give off much of a polished vibe. Still, the fire hearth that they picked up from their last stop at Crest has transformed the room into an actual kitchen rather than just a room of discarded wood, and the rich aroma that wafts over from the pot is all that's needed to convince the other crew members that they do now have a room solely dedicated to good-tasting food.

    Linnea, who has been standing by Yorshka's side ever since she entered the room, lets out a light, tinkling laugh at Ary's question. "Nothing that Song will enjoy, that's for sure, though hopefully you will." She fishes around in a pouch at her belt before pulling out a bundle of dried meat and handing it to Ary. "I've got Yorshka learning a new curry recipe. From the looks of it, it's coming out pretty well for a first attempt," she explains, grinning fondly at the cook as she does so. "It's a very filling dish! The cumin and sage we picked up at the port should add a bit of warmth and kick to it as well."

    As she speaks, Victoria wanders closer to the hearth, looking at it blankly. Though, the glint in her eyes is entirely telling of what she's thinking right now - "Food food gimmee."

    Zachary, meanwhile, looks up at the conversation. He's been sitting at a makeshift table, perusing over some kind of manual. "Hmm, why didn't we make a mess hall sooner?" he inquires in his vibrant, almost noble-like voice. "Linnea, you clearly know how to cook. Why not, ah, make further use of your talents sooner?"

    Whatever Linnea is about to respond with, however, you don't know. Nelson quickly interjects, "Zach, Linnea has enough to do! She already oversees much of our lives. There was no need to add to her plate. I daresay we are even asking a lot of her now, having her take more time from her day to teach an apprentice." He flushes a bit as he finishes speaking, shooting a glance Yorshka's way as he realizes that his words might have come across as a slight. "No offense." Linnea, for her part, sheepishly chuckles at his quick defense. "Ohh, it's fine. It all worked out, after all, didn't it? Teaching Yorshka is easy, she's a fast learner."

    It's then that Captain Williams strolls through the doorway, sniffing the air curiously as she does so. "Jeez, Yorshka's getting good at that, isn't she?" she chuckles. The crew mates seem to brighten as she enters the room. Marina nods her head contentedly and adds, "It's amazing how fast all of you new recruits are learning! Ary, Song and Bell helped me out with the rigging today. We'll make fine sailors out of you yet." She leans back against the wall with a satisfied look on her face.

    "Ohh? Well that's good to hear," Captain Williams murmurs, settling down on a crate herself, casting warm looks at each of you. "A well-earned break you've deserved, then. Nim tells me that we should arrive in just a few hours."
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Spoiler: Let's Cooking!
    Show
    (1d20+9)[25]


    Yorshka was very attentively paying attention to each of Linnea's suggestions and orders, placing the last of the potatoes and getting a stool to climb up so she can stir the huge pot and watch as the curry delightfully thickened as it cooked down. There was a wonderful, aromatic scent that was released over time, very exotic even to Yorshka.

    She nodded as Ary came in, saying, "... it's a spice stew ..." was the best way she could understand what curry was at the moment, since this was new to her as well, but she seemed -- well, very minutely excited about it! It's very hard to tell, with her subdued expressions.

    She perked up further as everyone started chatting amongst themselves, blushing a little bit -- but it was when the Captain came in that she hurried to scoop a ladleful of curry into a bowl and hurry over towards the Captain. Her eyes were glinting with hope and nervousness. "... Captain Williams gets first try ..."

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Woggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    With the morning's task completed Bellerophontes takes a few moments to himself. Relaxing at the bow, he leans languidly against the rail, enjoying the sun, wind, and spray. Not wanting to miss out entirely on a freshly cooked meal, however, means that the elman basks for only a minute or two before heading below decks to the improvised mess hall.

    Bell takes note of the sign outside the mess hall as he enters. Potato curry, now that should be a welcome change, no doubt! He happily tolerated hardtack and the like, given the nature of life aboard a ship, it nevertheless quickly became a chore to eat the stuff. Variety of any sort made for a good day.

    Seeing Zachery, Bell makes his way over to the outgoing ship's gunner, politely waiting to engage him in a bit of talk. "Say... I was wondering, the next time there's not much to do about the ship, if I could get a look at the ship's torpedoes? I've not been on a ship with them before; the idea of them sounds quite novel to me. I'd love to get a chance to see exactly how they work." While waiting for a reply, Bell gets his hands on some of the curry, after the others have been served.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Ary had to admit that she had no idea what Linnea was talking about. She was about to accuse the woman of making words up, something she started to suspect a lot of people did, when Yorshka offered an explanation that made sense. She grinned at the thought while she took the dried meet from Linnea. "Sounds strange to be honest. I mean, stews usually only good for making meat last longer ain't it?"

    Her island had not been devoid of good cooking. It was one of the few things that a people could do for comfort that didn't require much from the outside world, the way some furniture or magics might. That said, she had found that since leaving her home the word 'cooking' was less like a necessity and more like an art amongst others. Sailors and land folk alight sought out the strangest of dishes, leaving Ary and her fairly simple pallet to feel a bit overwhelmed. Most of the seasons Linnea had just mentioned didn't even exist on her peoples island.

    That said, even she was getting tired of dried meat. She had been thinking of fishing her and Song up some fish, and still might for Song. First things first though. She turned to leave the mess and stopped short when she noticed the Captain coming in. At Marina's comment she offered a grin. "It's useful stuff to learn if I'm going to be on the Ocean often." Then she looked a bit forlornly at the ceiling, "Sure hope whatever's in the air passes soon. Would still rather be out there right now."

    After a pause she turned to look at Yorshka, looking a bit sheepish. "No offense meant toward your cooking that is, however it turns out." Ary was not the most tactful of people. She did, however, have her head on straight when it came to responsibilities. In moments she was gone from the room again, off to see to it that Song was fed before her. Considering all the creature did for Ary, and the ship as a whole, it was the least she could do to show her appreciation.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    As the mess hall fills, Sintaveyana follows an invisible current, exchanging a few overtly formal pleasantries as she finds a place off to the side, away from the bulk of the various interactions that came with the crew but in a position to easily keep her eyes and ears on said exchanges. Occasionally, she moves, either to leave a portion of the hall growing too crowded for her liking, or to approach a more interesting discussion. The Captain has her eye, being in many ways both the center and the peak of the chaotic micro-society of the ship, who Sintaveyana expects to be hostess of the more important and simultaneously mundane conversations in the mess hall. It's a curious thing, the disorderly room's many shifting instances of social interaction; completely devoid of the normal order one would find in such a communal space.

    Of course, by her standards, everyone in the room is quite rude, but Sintaveyana does her best to ignore it - these people can't be held accountable for the lack of order in their society, after all. Especially if said lack of order was being maintained purposefully, potentially by those who had managed to utilize it to spread their people in the first place, with the construction of these ships that now apparently sailed across the entire world.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    The atmosphere in the mess hall is all good and cheery, but you suddenly feel a wave of dizziness. As you stagger, for a split second you notice that everyone around you seems to have gone motionless, frozen mid-lunch in conversation... and then blackness grips you at the edges of your consciousness and quickly takes over. As the world goes dark, the last thing you feel is a gentle rising sensation...




    The feeling of warm light seeping through your eyelids coupled by the sound of gentle waves lapping at the shore are the first things you notice. Cracking open your eyes and blinking at the sun's rays, you stumble to your feet and realize that the dizziness is gone. In fact, you feel just fine, and were it not for the fact that you are now on some strange beach instead of the Atalante, you could almost swear that nothing happened.

    Then, you realize that you are not alone. The other new recruits are scattered around on the sand around you, some awake and some not.

    The beach seems utterly abandoned save for you five. Cerulean-colored waves approach the shore slowly before dissolving away and melting back into the sea, while a large forest stands behinds you, formidable yet approachable at the same time with its large, leafy trees and assorted greenery.

    Spoiler: Song and Yorshka
    Show
    You notice that out of the underbrush, a pair of bright green eyes glow from under some leafy plants. They stare at you without malice for another second before their owner turns away and heads away from the beach.
    Last edited by Ceralune; 2017-03-13 at 05:53 PM.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Yorshka started to tremble as she continued holding the curry bowl faithfully up to Captain Williams. "Um... ...uh...?" Her eyes started to waver, and she blinked a few times. She wanted to hold onto the bowl... she wanted the captain to taste her hard work... she wanted everyone to enjoy... oh...

    ...




    The elf blinked once as she felt soft sands at the side of her cheek, rising up and dusting herself off slowly. It felt like she woke up from a very long dream, but... where, indeed? "Captain...?" she asked, very softly. "Everyone..." she stared confusedly at the green eyes from beyond the bush, before looking towards the other recruits.

    "...everyone... wake up..." she isn't exactly, um, shouting, though. She tried shaking the nearest one closest to her, Mr. Bell.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Ary had just opened the door to leave the mess when the wave of dizziness hit her. She wheeled about, uncertain what was going on, and her last image was of the crew frozen. Then there was darkness and the gentle feeling of rising.

    Despite being of hardy stock, Ary herself took time to fully awaken. It took the gentle, nervous pinching of a very large beak trying it's best not to wound to stir her. When her eyes opened warm light cut them hard and she groaned. It was a carefully hidden secret that Ary was not an early riser by nature. Still she raised her hand and gently patted her friends beak, calming Song.

    Then she pulled herself to her feet. The first thing she noticed even before the sound of water and the strange sight before her was the feeling of sand beneath her feet. It was a strange sensation, one she hadn't felt in many months, and for a moment all she could do was stand there with her eyes closed trying to figure out why it was wrong.

    Her eyes shot open and she spun about, looking around for the wooden frame of the ship that should have been beneath her. Nothing. Nothing but beach. Sand, water and what appeared to be an unfamiliar forest. Almost immediately Ary drew her spear-lance, her eyes looking around for whoever had dragged her to this location. Beside her Song stiffened, though her attention seemed elsewhere.

    As Song was watching a pair of bright green eyes fade into the brush Ary was noticing that she was not alone. Along with Song the other new recruits lay on the beach. Ary eyed them warily for a moment, as if wondering about their part in all this, but she quickly realized from the way they were laying about that it wasn't likely. Instead, as Yorshka moved to wake up Bell, Ary moved to Sin's side. Instead of trying to stir the woman carefully, and thus letting go of her spear-lance, the halfling gently kicked at the woman's side.

    "Wake up Sin. We got trouble."

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Woggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    One moment Bellerophontes was talking to Zachery, then the world seemed to lurch. As Bell fought against the dizziness, he saw the others in the mess hall frozen about him, then all faded into blackness.

    ******

    Bell awoke to a gentle shaking. He looked up to see Yorshka, wearing an uncertain look on her face, and a clear sky beyond. A slight panic began to grow within his chest as he absorbed the rest of the surroundings, from the gentle waves, the sand beneath him, and the dense forest beyond. He scrambled to his feet, his hand on his sword hilt and fighting to keep himself outwardly calm.

    "Where... ?" The question was half spoken to himself, half to Yorshka, but as Bell surveyed the beach further, he didn't really expect the others to be able to answer.

    As the panic of the moment subsided, Bell managed calm himself enough to take full stock of his surroundings. The waves, the beach, the forest, and the sky were all pieces that could be used to identify where they had ended up. Bell wracked his mind to see if anything matched with descriptions he had read, or places he had visited.

    Ary's words caught Bell's attention, however, and his hand reactively moved his sword hilt once more. "Trouble?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Bellerophontes will make a Knowledge: Geography check to see if the beach and forest match any description of a place he may know, either from his travels or his studies. I don't have high hopes that it does, though.

    K.Geography - (1d20+7)[13]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Sintaveyana wakes suddenly - the faded memories of her last waking moments on the ship coming only a few moments after she's on her feet. In the unfamiliar world of a sunny beach, her first instinct is to rise, arm herself, face whatever enemy has awakened her. It's only as her vision clears, as the familiarity of the one before her returns, that Sintaveyana stops, lowering her weapon as the realization comes to her. She isn't waking on a beach to face the monsters of the sea - she's waking on the beach after falling into darkness on the ship. Looking briefly at the others, Sintaveyana collects herself for a moment, returning her weapon to its sheath before speaking.

    "To wake suddenly, after falling into a slumber during the day, finding oneself in a strange place - is this normal, among your peoples?" Sintaveyana asks after a few moments. One could never be too sure, with these people. Best to ask, and assure oneself, before making the wrong assumptions.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    A minute passes, then two, before a little cat comes crawling out from under the bushes. With golden fur and emerald eyes, he looks at you inquisitively before padding over to Yorshka, curiously nuzzling the elf's leg with a soft, "Meow?"
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Yorshka didn't really know where they were -- with some time, perhaps, they could get their bearings, but only uncertain confusion sat in her mind right now... a pause, as the cat wandered a bit further towards her, and she smiled softly and reached towards it. "... hello..."

    She waved a small wand and closed her eyes in concentration, before gazing back towards the cat. "... can you understand me...? We're lost..."

    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Using speak with animals!

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    The cat looks up at Yorshka and meows once more, then slowly walks a short distance away while craning its head back at you... before darting off further along the beach. It pokes its head behind once more as if to check that you are still there. With a final meow, it continues crawling off in that direction, looking at you expectantly.

    Spoiler: Yorshka
    Show
    Oddly enough, despite the spell being successful, the cat merely continues to look up at you with the same ambivalent eyes. While it meows at you, you can't understand what it's saying.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Yorhska looks just a little surprised, quietly rising to her feet and glancing to the others. "... there is something ... about that cat ... perhaps it can help us ..." she hurries along, though her pace is not exactly what one would call 'brisk', more of a waddle on bare feet than anything.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Woggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: The Ever-Changing Tide (IC)

    Bell turns to Sintaveyana as she asks her question in her (in Bell's mind) excessively formal way. "It's not normal, no. Far from it. I've not heard of anything quite like this, at least, not anything from any... reputable source."

    Bellerophontes watches as the cat reveals itself. He visibly relaxes, his hand falling from his sword. The cat's appearance strikes him as odd, however, with its distinctive colouring and bright emerald eyes, not to mention its calmness. His gaze follows it as it approaches Yorshka. "It can't be wild, can it? Not when it's so relaxed... perhaps this island is inhabited, then."

    As the cat walks away slowly, Bell rubs his cheek absentmindedly. He calls after Yorshka as she follows after the mysterious feline. "Hold on a moment, Yorshka!" Then, turning to Ary and Sintaveyana, he asks: "Shall we follow? Best we should stick together, if nothing else."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •