New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Digital Table, What Do I do

I am intrigued by the idea of a digital table, but would like to know what setup is the best bang for my buck. Any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Digital Table, What Do I do

When you say "digital table", do you mean software/sites for online play or an electronically-aided tabletop for live play?

For the former, I'd recommend Roll20. Even without any of the premium features, it's served me well so far. Once you get used to some of its quirks, especially the drawing system, you can either make really neat maps, custom tokens etc. with some time or quickly whip up whatever you need to improvise.

For the latter, I believe such set-ups are mostly custom and the market is still developing, but someone else might come up with something anyway.
    Saga of the Slavs – Paradox Megacampaign AAR (continued at last!)

Sovereign Levander on Steam

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

For my "digital" table I used a projector which projects down on the table from above. It it held by a repurposed desk lamp stand, which was easy since my projector already has a mount for camera tripods. I just fixed a 1/4" screw to the lamp stand and can now screw the projector on it.
    Spoiler: Images
    Show

This setup has some advantages over other options:
    • Not too expensive, the projector (an Asus S1) is ~300€
    • Works with both physical tokens and digital tokens
    • Portable, I can easily take it with me for games at other places
    • I can reuse the beamer (and the table) for other stuff, too
    • No construction work required (I do not have a working space for woodwork or similar stuff)

For actually running the game, I connect the projector as a second screen to my laptop. Then I run one instance of Map Tool on my screen (as server with GM view) and a second instance on the projector (as client with player view). I can then control the display from my laptop.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLeaf167 View Post
    When you say "digital table", do you mean software/sites for online play or an electronically-aided tabletop for live play?

For the former, I'd recommend Roll20. Even without any of the premium features, it's served me well so far. Once you get used to some of its quirks, especially the drawing system, you can either make really neat maps, custom tokens etc. with some time or quickly whip up whatever you need to improvise.

For the latter, I believe such set-ups are mostly custom and the market is still developing, but someone else might come up with something anyway.
    I mean the latter, I want to know how others have done it. I've seen a couple set ups but most I've seen seem to produce this sort of washed out image.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Firest Kathon View Post
    For my "digital" table I used a projector which projects down on the table from above. It it held by a repurposed desk lamp stand, which was easy since my projector already has a mount for camera tripods. I just fixed a 1/4" screw to the lamp stand and can now screw the projector on it.
    Spoiler: Images
    Show

This setup has some advantages over other options:
    • Not too expensive, the projector (an Asus S1) is ~300€
    • Works with both physical tokens and digital tokens
    • Portable, I can easily take it with me for games at other places
    • I can reuse the beamer (and the table) for other stuff, too
    • No construction work required (I do not have a working space for woodwork or similar stuff)

For actually running the game, I connect the projector as a second screen to my laptop. Then I run one instance of Map Tool on my screen (as server with GM view) and a second instance on the projector (as client with player view). I can then control the display from my laptop.
    Sorry the images don't seem to be working for me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

It's because they're not actually pictures. Dropbox is weird. You can view them if you follow the links directly.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Another option is to get a flatscreen TV and build a table around it, leaving holes for the power and hookups and just use it as a monitor that displays your maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmogidget View Post
    Sorry the images don't seem to be working for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by theasl View Post
    It's because they're not actually pictures. Dropbox is weird. You can view them if you follow the links directly.
    Sorry about that, they work fine for me . I uploaded them again, I hope that works better.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, they work just fine now, thank you.