New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Ducktales (2017)

Disney just released their first look at the Ducktales cartoon! Quick, let us gather around and complain bitterly about the ruining of our childhoods!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LNgU4e1rE

I'm going to be Commander Contrarian and say I like the nephews' voices, but David Tennant as Scrooge sounds a bit off.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-03-02 at 05:46 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Disney just released their first look at the Ducktales cartoon! Quick, let us gather around and complain bitterly about the ruining of our childhoods!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LNgU4e1rE

I'm going to be Commander Contrarian and say I like the nephews' voices, but David Tennant as Scrooge sounds a bit off.
    Im not a huge fan of the art style, but watching it, it does feel like Ducktales, so thats a plus. Scrooges accent isnt thick enough though
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I am hype.

All of the hype.

All of it.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Art style is very different from the old show. Not a compliant, just an observation.

As far as I remember, the last Ducktales thing was the movie, but as I recall it didn't go over too well. I know Ducktales has had magic and curses and what not, but the genie was a bit much. Was that before or after Aladdin? I don't feel like looking it up trivia...

I wonder if they're going to mine more of Carl Barks' material. He did some real great stories.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler: YESSSS !!!
    Show

YES !!!! Im being listening in in a loop! My nostalgia is crying of happiness! Even more since it sound like a legitimaly good and even BETTER then the original!

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Art style is very different from the old show. Not a compliant, just an observation.

As far as I remember, the last Ducktales thing was the movie, but as I recall it didn't go over too well. I know Ducktales has had magic and curses and what not, but the genie was a bit much. Was that before or after Aladdin? I don't feel like looking it up trivia...

I wonder if they're going to mine more of Carl Barks' material. He did some real great stories.
    Yeah, the genie movie was overshadowed by Alladin movies. The movie was fine, same for that genie but... Robin William genie was just better.

Also, the original ducktail had its flaws. It was a bit silly and that little girl duck FINALLY seem to have a personnality instead of just being " cute ". This trailer promise for better humor and a LOT of action!
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2017-03-02 at 07:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I really hope Donald will appear in more than a few episodes this time.

He was great in the comics, though it is certainly easier to read his dialogue than it is to listen to it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know. I liked the trailer - especially them giving the nephews distinct personalities and Webby something to work with - but at the same time it clearly has an ironic self-aware bent that could get tiresome. There is something to be said for sincerity, which the original Ducktales had in spades.

That said, that might be more of the effect of focusing on the one-liners and not the full picture of where they're going for.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

A question about the Duck family tree: so Huey, Dewie and Louie are the children of Donald's sister and Scrooge is their great uncle?
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-03-02 at 09:15 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It feels a little on the hyperactive side to me, but maybe it's just that I'm tired right now so everything seems faster than it should be, and I can't remember the originals very well though I did enjoy them. (I wonder if we'll get a new Rescue Rangers some day...)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    A question about the Duck family tree: so Huey, Dewie and Louie are the children of Donald's sister and Scrooge is their great uncle?
    That is correct.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    It feels a little on the hyperactive side to me, but maybe it's just that I'm tired right now so everything seems faster than it should be, and I can't remember the originals very well though I did enjoy them. (I wonder if we'll get a new Rescue Rangers some day...)
    Last I heard they were going live action for that.

And if you want more Carl Barks, re-watch the trailer. Those pictures on the wall in the mansion? Original Barks artwork--I had two as posters when much younger.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

The plot and characters seem OK, but the art style is trying way, WAY too hard to pretend to be manga.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    I really hope Donald will appear in more than a few episodes this time.

He was great in the comics, though it is certainly easier to read his dialogue than it is to listen to it.
    I spent my entire childhood reading German Duck comic (plus those translated into German from italy, Sweden and so on) and I never had any idea that Donald Duck was supposed to have a weird voice until I was... 25 or so and saw my first few seconds of an American Duck cartoon?
    It's really, really weird. And it especially doesn't mesh with his comic persona of marine, explorer, sometimes saviour of universes and part-time Batman expy.

Same with Mickey Mouse. In the comics, he's a hard boiled noir detective. That voice is just wrong.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I spent my entire childhood reading German Duck comic (plus those translated into German from italy, Sweden and so on) and I never had any idea that Donald Duck was supposed to have a weird voice until I was... 25 or so and saw my first few seconds of an American Duck cartoon?
    It's really, really weird. And it especially doesn't mesh with his comic persona of marine, explorer, sometimes saviour of universes and part-time Batman expy.

Same with Mickey Mouse. In the comics, he's a hard boiled noir detective. That voice is just wrong.
    American and European has a really weirdly different disney culture. Where I live we have roughly european disney culture as well, where we associate donald and mickey with adventures instead of slapstick, so it's pretty weird as well.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I found out much earlier but I kept being surprised by it.

It is worse with Mickey than with Donald, in my opinion.

As a daring adventurer, Donald is pretty much Usopp with anger issues. He is often cowardly, full of it, extraordinarily unlucky, really depressed or in @€&?¥#%$§£! mode. So the voice works. It is just difficult to imagine long conversations being held with it.

But detective Mickey... The butler did it, ha-ha? It doesn't quite connect.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

It's been quite a while but I can't remember too much animation with Donald. From what I remember the German shorts also gave him a distinct voice, but Ducktales... Did not? I think Quack Pack did too.
    So.. I guess it was different from the original but it was still a quite special way of speaking. But this was looong ago, so I might be wrong. Maybe I need a load of nostalgia.

Yes, the art style is very unusual.. Or at least different. But I like what I've seen in the trailer. I might give this a shot.
    Also, I knew Scrooge's voice sounded familiar but.. I had no idea it was Tennant!
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Last I heard they were going live action for that.
    Well that sounds pretty terrible.

18. - Top - End - #18

Looking at it logically, Disney's probably overdue for a really bad flop. C&DRR could be that.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It isn't a beloved child-hood memory, since I was in the US Navy when the first episodes came out, but I did really like Duck Tales back in the day. This trailer looks promising, but like other people have said, the voices seem a little off. The boys are just wrong, and Scrooge should sound more Scottish-er. Webbigail is good though.

Now when are we getting Darkwing Duck on Google Play?
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

20. - Top - End - #20

David Tennant is Scottish and this is his voice, so that's perfectly Scottish. And if the accent was much stronger, I don't think I could understand it, so I like that.

But the animation, now that I've seen it? I mean, I could get used to the comicky backgrounds, but the characters look terrible.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

21. - Top - End - #21

I'm also not crazy about the character design, but I LOVE the backgrounds. I'll watch it and see which one wins out.

I'd also be into a Darkwing Duck revival. Or Gargoyles. Or Tale Spin. Or even Gummi Bears!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm okay with the art style's direction. It might work. I just have a hard time believing the kids' voices. They sound too old.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I was curious when I first heard about it, but not committed. But the trailer sold me on it. "I made my name by being tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties!" That was mostly what I remembered from the original--that Scrooge McDuck was a total badass who took no guff from anyone, and it looks like that remains true here.

As Kitten Champion pointed out, it does look like the triplets have more distinct personalities in this one. I like that, I felt they were too interchangeable before.

And it looks like Launchpad is still being Launchpad. Hey, any landing you can walk away from...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at it logically, Disney's probably overdue for a really bad flop. C&DRR could be that.
    Yeah I suppose, I'm just sad that it might be the Rescue Rangers who end up having to be the flop. I wonder if they're bring back any of those other cartoons, I saw someone mention Darkwing Duck, what about Gummy Bears, or TailSpin?

I think I'm on the fence about the new Duck Tails...will have to watch the trailer when less tired out. Being too much of the wrong kind of hyper can easily irritate me, so I'll have to just wait and see.
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2017-03-03 at 03:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

It has a really great exchange in there.

W: "Who's the evil triplet?"
    H: "Louie."
    D: "Louie."
    L: "Yup."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

It has a really great exchange in there.

W: "Who's the evil triplet?"
    H: "Louie."
    D: "Louie."
    L: "Yup."
    The "You are finally gonna sell us" and "Oh no, the ground!" jokes had me smile too.

And what surprised me was Webby talking about Donald's exploits. Yeah, he should have that reputation, but he never gets any respect in the comics. Then again, she apparently has a conspiracy theorist's pegboard, so maybe she is his #1 and only fan.

27. - Top - End - #27

As a huge fan of the original DuckTales, I am cautiously optimistic about this. I was a bit turned off by the visual style at first glance, but I don't think that's going to make or break it for me.

I like the Barks-reference in there - I hope they are going to continue to draw inspiration from some of his greatest stories (there are SO MANY classic ones). I genuinely rank Barks among my favourite authors, his stories defined my childhood and I still enjoy them as an adult.

If they actually manage to combine the high adventure of original DuckTales with the modern humour of some of their recent good shows (Phineas & Ferb, Gravity Falls) they could end up with something really great. As others have mentioned, the trailer did have some genuinely funny moments.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

I used to watch the original as a kid. The brothers sound a little off to me, but it has Dave Tennant as Scrooge McDuck, so I think I'll give it a try. What I really hope comes out of this is a revival or reboot of Darkwing Duck.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

And what surprised me was Webby talking about Donald's exploits. Yeah, he should have that reputation, but he never gets any respect in the comics. Then again, she apparently has a conspiracy theorist's pegboard, so maybe she is his #1 and only fan.
    Do like this bit as well. Though i guess it comes from having Don Rosa as my favorite Duck writer. His version is a little more emotionally mature. And i guess at times even is a bit of a tragicomic hero in that he does try his best. But are generally brought down by his awful luck.

Think his version were really well described by one of the triplets when Donald had gotten lost in a hunt for dinosaurs "Our uncle always help those who are sadder and more lonely than himself"
    Of course what i really liked about the exchange were that it were kinda infered the person helped was Scrooge McDuck.

Anyway, thats my nostalgic waxing. But also why i kinda prefered Quack pack.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Anyway, thats my nostalgic waxing. But also why i kinda prefered Quack pack.
    BLASPHEMY!

Sorry, I understand the nostalgic value but even as a kid, I thought it was boring lol

Then again, I think that Steven Universe is boring so to each their own LOL

Me, I watched the cartoons in french so maybe it made a world of difference.

In any case, Im willing to give the show a chance. I must admit the old Ducktales cartoon had awesome Scrooge Mcduck voice but open to some changes.

So far, I like the fact personnalities of the characters are well devellopped this time.