New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

A theory is that they are holding them back for the launch of the new Disney-premium streaming service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

2. - Top - End - #272
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Anyone catch the new episode, "The Missing Links of Moorshire!"?
    I managed to catch that episode by a stroke of luck. It was quite hilarious.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    by a stroke of luck.
    Puns are Phunny!
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Just found out today that there are actually new episodes.

Can I just say that I freaking love the kelpies? They're the most adorable murderers ever.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

I just can't believe...

Spoiler: McMystery at McDuck McManor!
    Show
    Duckworth is dead.

Spoiler
    Show
    And a ghost!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Just found out today that there are actually new episodes.

Can I just say that I freaking love the kelpies? They're the most adorable murderers ever.
    They are the best.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anyone catch the new episode, "The Missing Links of Moorshire!"?
    It doesn't seem to be available on demand
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

8. - Top - End - #278

The new episodes aren't even coming up on the channel guide or the Disney XD website (unless they're hidden someplace other than the New Episodes tab).

I'd say it's time to walk away, but it looks like Disney already did that.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It's not on Google Play either.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

I have not done research on this and thus this is a passive rumor I am spreading that I heard from other places. Some of this rumor we know to be truth so I will label those part as Facts but some parts are people speculating and putting things together.

Fact: Disney is doing some promotional marketing work making May is a Ducktales Event where they rerun old episodes every day but also air new episodes every Friday during May (May 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th.)

See here for a tv commercial promo of the event but there are also news articles on the internet with a little more information, such as new episodes airing Friday.

Fact: The Ducktales episode "Beware the B.U.D.D.Y. System!" is going to air May 11th in the US, for Disney is doing some promotional work saying Lin Manuel Miranda is making his Ducktales Debut during this episode, at the specific date of May 11th.

Fact: Some of the ducktale episodes has been leaked online already, as well as aired legally in some other markets. For example "The Missing Links of Moorshire!"and "McMystery at McDuck McManor!" aired in Disney XD Scandanvia on March 21st and 28th respectively.

Rumor: This is the speculated airing of the order of the Ducktale episodes on Disney US cable markets
    4th: "The Spear of Selene!"
    11th: "Beware the B.U.D.D.Y. System!" (The Lin Manuel Miranda one)
    18th: "The Missing Links of Moorshire!" (already aired in some markets)
    25th: "McMystery at McDuck McManor!" (already aired in some markets)

I do not have the energy to track down and confirm the rumor so I am just passing it along and stating it may be wrong for it is rumor.

The original season 1 buy from Disney was for 21 episodes (aka we are talking $$$ and signing a contract). That said in 2017 Disney already bought a second season even if it has not been made yet. Sigh I am waiting patiently but part of me just wants it to happen now. OMG part of me is 6 again, and Ducktales is my Christmas Presents?
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2018-04-14 at 02:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thank you, detective. We'll have to wait and see where it leads us.
    The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

So yeah its been confirmed by Disney via official twitter accounts that this is going to be airing of the new episodes order. Aka same stuff I posted in an above post under Rumor is now considered fact. 5/4, 5/11, 5/18, and 5/25

Also one of the writters mention that we are going to see all of Season 1 episodes air in the next 4 months, where they may take 1 week off or so but everything is going to be dumped on Disney Channel. Thus we will probably see the remaining 8 episodes (for by May 25th 13 episodes will air) sometime soon in the Summer Months.

This next part is a long ass ramble for I felt betrayed in the past, and now I am trying to square the past betrayal with the future promise. Please feel free to skip it for it is a rant.
    This is my personal speculation but from everything I read now that Disney Channel is going to air the Ducktales Episodes (Old and New) and now other channel that Disney Owns (Disney XD) that this channel change and programming and blah blah stuff is why we haven't had the Ducktales episodes being airing for months even though they been made. It sounds like via reading between the lines and also how traditional tv programming battles with seasons when you air stuff, etc. Ducktales got good ratings on Disney XD and Disney Channel is in more homes with cable packages and thus someone decided to move the show over to the Disney Channel which has higher ads but also cable companies have to pay more to have Disney Channel in the "ask fees" to carry Disney Channel, while Disney XD station is the "value added" that Disney sells you if you already have Disney Channel in your cable package. Aka blah blah tv stuff where Disney is trying to maximize their investment.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2018-04-15 at 10:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283

What, owning half of the entertainment industry isn't enough for them?

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    You have to make money from your properties, not just commission them. For making money causes the creation of new episodes, properties, etc.

[But yeah part of me 100% agrees for I can be bitter and I was never promised a specific timeframe but I still feel let down and almost betrayed.]

I am going to link a Lindsay Ellis video on the subject of Disney Making money and taking chances on Franchises for this stuff is complicated. This video is about the choices of a former Disney CEO, Michael Eisner, from '84 to '05 (21 years) and he was president of Paramount Pictures ('76 to '84)

If Disney was not making money it would not own half of the market, and if it stops making money then other companies will gain marketshare and Disney will shrink in a comparative proportion.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Firbolg in the Playground

No it's not; not for them.

In fact I'm pretty sure the main reason they retooled and softened Scrooge McDuck's personality was because they were showing too much of their hand with the old Scrooge.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

So Ducktales new episodes returned a few days ago on 05/04.

All I have to say after watching the most recent episode (The Spear of Selene), is find a "friend" that "looks" at you the same way Storkules looks at Donald Duck.

Well I have another thing to say. I suddenly have the urge to rewatch the episode of the original 1980 series called "Home Sweet Homer" which also deals with Ithaquack.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

The writers sure got the pettiness of Zeus down pat.

Spoiler: The Spear of Selene!
    Show
    Also, I'm guessing the Spear of Selene that Della took belonged to an entirely different Selene than the Greek deity. Like maybe a totally mundane, regular mortal named Selene.

18. - Top - End - #288

RangerGuy

The writers sure got the pettiness of Zeus down pat.
    Yes, it's refreshing to see writers actually look into old-time mythology, rather than just turn it into Christianity with a slightly different flavour.

On a different note, can we agree that Donald is clearly the best fighter in the cast? Scrooge is absurdly multi-skilled, but he retreated from Storkules. Donald attacked him.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

19. - Top - End - #289

Donald isn't a fighter. He's a berserker.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Donald isn't a fighter. He's a berserker.
    He is light as air, fluid as water, hotter than the surface of the sun, and ...I can't think of a comment about the earthiness of Donald Duck...oh this may work...and when Donald comes down on you he comes down on you like a mountain!

Nah the joke still needs some work

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Yes, it's refreshing to see writers actually look into old-time mythology, rather than just turn it into Christianity with a slightly different flavour.

On a different note, can we agree that Donald is clearly the best fighter in the cast? Scrooge is absurdly multi-skilled, but he retreated from Storkules. Donald attacked him.
    I think that's probably less about their relative skill at fighting and more about their wisdom and motivation. Scrooge couldn't win against Storkules, and he knew it. Donald couldn't win against Storkules, and he didn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    He is light as air, fluid as water, hotter than the surface of the sun, and ...I can't think of a comment about the earthiness of Donald Duck...
    Mysterious as the dark side of the moon?
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Are you saying I need to invoke another disney work in order to find my muse?

I'll Make a Poem Out of You!

23. - Top - End - #293

I'm really not sure what to think about this episode. I dislike Beaks even more, but the rest is...it feels like an intro without much payoff. Arguably Launchpad is the hero.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

I'm really not sure what to think about this episode. I dislike Beaks even more, but the rest is...it feels like an intro without much payoff. Arguably Launchpad is the hero.
    You don’t seem to like Ducktales much.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

25. - Top - End - #295

It is all kinds of erratic, probably at least in part because they aren't showing episodes in order. This one, however, seemed to exist mainly to set up Gizmoduck (and Darkwing Duck) for a later payoff (i.e., the conflict with Beaks wanting the suit as a trophy).

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

It is all kinds of erratic, probably at least in part because they aren't showing episodes in order. This one, however, seemed to exist mainly to set up Gizmoduck (and Darkwing Duck) for a later payoff (i.e., the conflict with Beaks wanting the suit as a trophy).
    The show is consistently high quality in many respects. Visuals, characterization, acting. I don't see the episodes as having "erratic" quality and the serialized elements are generally secondary. Its not like they put this episode before the Louie episode (introducing Gearloose) or the Mark Beaks episode something.

Yes, there is a lot of episodes that end (the ones featuring Lena specifically) on a "To Be Continued" note but are each self-contained.

This episode is really all about Launchpad, which is great as we haven't had a good chance to see what makes Launchpad Launchpad on this show before this one.

Add to that Gizmoduck gets to save the day we get an episode that weaves several elements together and cameos Darkwing Duck. Its the full package.

If you think the only point of the episode is to introduce Gizmoduck, you are clearly not paying attention to the self-contained story going on. I have a feeling that your critiques of other episodes are similarly focused on the secondary storyline. You are putting an awful lot of emphasis on what amounts to some teasers at things to come embedded in the various episodes.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Be a duck!
    We must be swift a cursing sailor,
    Be a duck!
    With all the force of a great buffoon,
    Be a duck!
    With all the strength of a raging mallard,
    Mysterious as the dark side of the moon!
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: S1E11 - Beware the B.U.D.D.Y. System!
    Show
    Actually a little disappointed that the Darkwing cameo turned out to be a show within a show. Does this mean in this universe, Launchpad isn't Darkwing's sidekick?

Still, it was great seeing Darkwing again at the beginning of the episode. I'm so glad they got Jim Cummings to voice him again.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: S1E11 - Beware the B.U.D.D.Y. System!
    Show
    Actually a little disappointed that the Darkwing cameo turned out to be a show within a show. Does this mean in this universe, Launchpad isn't Darkwing's sidekick?

Still, it was great seeing Darkwing again at the beginning of the episode. I'm so glad they got Jim Cummings to voice him again.
    Spoiler: S1E11 Darkwing Duck reboot
    Show
    The show within the show concept certainly means Darkwing Duck doesn't exist as such in universe (at least not as of S1E11). There's always the possibilty they do more with the concept than just a cameo but the cameo is enough to explain the rumours of a reboot. It doesn't sound like they are rebooting the show or the concept of Launchpad as a sidekick anytime soon.

Looks like the extent of Darkwing's involvement may be the occassional cameo and Launchpad's fanboy enthusiasm for an old TV show.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: My Darkwing theory
    Show
    One of the things about Original!DW's character design that set him apart was that he was obviously middle aged, when most cartoon character fall into one of the 5 age categories of baby, kid, teen, adult and elderly. The time between adult and old man is rarely if ever explored and it set DW apart. 2017!DW, on the other hand, look to be much younger that he was in the original. You don't see the creased brow any other of the 'middle aged' characteristics from the original. Likewise, it's implied that Launchpad watched Darkwing Duck 20 years ago when he was Dewey's age (The driver's license gives him a DOB of a little over 30 years ago and Dewey says of the show "Yeah, maybe back when you were a kid."),

My theory, therefore is that Jim Starling was Drake's stage name and he retired after the injuries started to pile up. Somewhere down the line, there will be some sort of retro throwback will get hugely popular and he'll want back in the spotlight. And when he takes up the mantle once more, he'll be the same age as Original!DW, so similar stories can happen to him if/when he gets a spin-off.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.