New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

For quality reading i always go to Don Rosa though. His work has laid a lot of the foundation for the current characters. And what i like in particular is his stories have continuity, making a greater whole by connecting to previous adventures.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    For quality reading I always go to Don Rosa though. His work has laid a lot of the foundation for the current characters. And what I like in particular is his stories have continuity, making a greater whole by connecting to previous adventures.
    I think that The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and the stories related to it are still considered the definitive Scrooge Backstory.

In particular, the origin of the Number One Dime... Honestly, I'm hoping that they take that version over the others-a reminder of a time he'd been cheated that had absorbed a significant degree of Scrooge's own gumption and other traits due to being kept on Scrooge's person over a lifetime of adventures... Ironically, that seems more magical to me than a generic "good luck charm that actually works."
    Last edited by Rater202; 2017-08-16 at 03:38 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I think that The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and the stories related to it are still considered the definitive Scrooge Backstory.

In particular, the origin of the Number One Dime... Honestly, I'm hoping that they take that version over the others-a reminder of a time he'd been cheated that had absorbed a significant degree of Scrooge's own gumption and other traits due to being kept on Scrooge's person over a lifetime of adventures... Ironically, that seems more magical to me than a generic "good luck charm that actually works."
    I'm thinking they will go with that, given his adamant claim that he earned his fortune "square". He said it once or twice in the original, but never with the fire he displays here. The fact that this is important to him does suggest that he himself was cheated during his formative years, so it's likely they're going with the "he earned his Number One Dime in Scotland, where it wasn't legal tender" backstory.

Gotta say I enjoyed the opener (caught it on youtube). The art style is a bit challenging to adjust to, but they did so many interesting things with the characters. The nephews aren't palette swapped clones anymore, Webby isn't the "eww, girls" tagalong kid, Donald is allowed into the plot and even recognized as a badass by Webby, Scrooge is more adventurous than he is greedy... lots of little updates that really help make the characters more likable. Heck, the nephews are even given different styles of shirt - probably the only good thing to come out of Quack Pack.

I have to admit, I enjoyed Donald's involvement probably the most in the opener. They kept him his easily frustrated self, but added the whole "your adventures killed my sister" angle, which pretty well explains why Donald is so protective of his nephews. Everything he does is for the boys, pretty much his every thought. Watching his happily show of pictures of them to hardened mercenaries had to be my single favorite moment of the two-parter.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I just wonder if they're going to try to keep the "born in the 1860s" bit. When the stories were originally set in the 40's an 80 year old was plausible, but now he'd have to be going on 150 years old. That lets out the Yukon Gold Rush and other important parts of his backstory. Unless he was frozen in a glacier for 70 years or something.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, El Capitan claimed in the original he was over 400 years old, which he achieved through sheer willpower ;P
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    For quality reading i always go to Don Rosa though. His work has laid a lot of the foundation for the current characters. And what i like in particular is his stories have continuity, making a greater whole by connecting to previous adventures.
    As far as the foundations for the current characters, while,obviously, Ducktales cartoon is based on the comics, the new characters seem more like the original cartoon or to be a new creation:

Huey, Dewey, Louie are:
    Comics: nondistinct
    Original Cartoon: nondistinct
    New Cartoon: Birthorder Stereotypes (Huey first-born organizer, would-be leader, Dewey middleadventurous and acts out, Luey youngest is lazy, selfish, a schemer)

Donald Duck is apparently more similar to the comics, where he is an adventurer and has a constant role.

Scrooge is his soft cartoon persona

Webby and Launchpad is an original creation of the cartoon

Also Glomgold is Scottish as in the original cartoon (and set up to be Scrooge's archnemesis which is new)

Seems to me the character development is mostly drawn from the first cartoon or newly developed. Scrooge may take from the comic aesthetic but that's it. Only Donald is being lifted as if from the comic pages.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2017-08-16 at 02:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Scrooge is his soft cartoon persona
    No, i really dont think thats the case. He is more or less straight up lifted from the Don Rosa stories. He did show a touch of gratitude, and a softer side after the end of the story. But the one in those comics were incredibly nuanced, and he did also show those sides at times.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Also Glomgold is Scottish as in the original cartoon (and set up to be Scrooge's archnemesis which is new)
    I don't know. With how often he mentions how Scottish he is, I'm thinking that he's not actually Scottish, he's just trying to make himself look and sound more Scottish as part of his obsession with outdoing Scrooge.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Well... This is a very very good start.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I don't know. With how often he mentions how Scottish he is, I'm thinking that he's not actually Scottish, he's just trying to make himself look and sound more Scottish as part of his obsession with outdoing Scrooge.
    dingdingdingding!!!!

In the comics, he was South African/Afrikaaner, making his first fortune in the diamond mines.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    dingdingdingding!!!!

In the comics, he was South African/Afrikaaner, making his first fortune in the diamond mines.
    I have mentioned that previously.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

I also quite liked the pilot. There's some minor things that bother me but otherwise I'm quite happy.
    Minor complaints : I know it's what he always sounds like but I really feel I need subtitles for Donald. And on occasion even scrooge.
    I don't think I really like the triplets yet. But I'm confident that will change once they get more time.
    Some minor things were bordering on too stupid. Or mean. Like Donald almost leaving the mercs to drown.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Some minor things were bordering on too stupid. Or mean. Like Donald almost leaving the mercs to drown.
    I don't think I'd describe it that way. At first, he just assumed they'd fend for themselves if he thought about them at all. They're mercs, after all. Survival is part of the job, as it's the only way to get paid.

When they ask him if they can "bum a ride", he hesitates for half a second. That's reasonable, I think. The mercs did try to kill them all, remember, and the sub they're escaping on is not only Scrooge's (and not his), it's not the vessel he came in on. He's taking a risk that there's room for four extra people, or that Scrooge will allow them on board, or that they won't cause trouble once they're safe. A moment to think it through almost seems prudent.

I think Tennant is actually a bit more intelligible than the original cartoon's Scrooge, but Donald could definitely do with subtitles. A fair bit of the time I have to guess what he said using how others react to him.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

I am really excited to see where the story goes with...

Spoiler
    Show
    Della.

Yes, her.

Loving the aviator outfit. It is a great variation on Donald's sailor garb.

I have seen the theory that it might lead to Launchpad getting replaced in a season or two. No worries, he has another team to join, that also knows how to get dangerous.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone feel like the opening theme has less... impact with the lyrics than the original? I can't point out anything specific, but the theme seems more... flow-y and smooth with everything being very even and no real beats to it. I dunno, maybe it's just the change and my ears aren't catching it, but I'm not sure I like the song quite as much. Oh well, show is still awesome.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Does anyone feel like the opening theme has less... impact with the lyrics than the original? I can't point out anything specific, but the theme seems more... flow-y and smooth with everything being very even and no real beats to it. I dunno, maybe it's just the change and my ears aren't catching it, but I'm not sure I like the song quite as much. Oh well, show is still awesome.
    Just the opposite! It seems to me everything is that much crisper, with richer and fuller pauses between the vocals.

I have fancy surround speakers now, so I listened to the two side by side and it still sounds a lot richer.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, really curious about what their plans are for this character.

This is my only memory of her from the comics:

Spoiler
    Show

By the way, it makes Scrooge's estrangement from his family a different sort of dark in the comics. It happened because he had become... well... a Scrooge, like in A Christmas Carol. If I recall correctly, Donald himself met his uncle that one time in his childhood and wouldn't see him again until the story that started the adventures of Scrooge, Donald and the triplets.

The new cartoon's premise that Donald used to be Scrooge's sidekick years ago, that's certainly a departure from the comics. Was Scrooge actually around for most of Donald's life?

Anyway, Google tells me the comics have done more with the surprise character.

There is also already this great fanart of the cartoon version:

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Yeah, the singer in the new version seems unenthusiastic
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post

There is also already this great fanart of the cartoon version:

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, that got darker faster than I had anticipated.

Also, assuming the general consensus about this is right, does Mrs. Beakley know?
    Because it makes sense for her to know, but that also doesn't jive with the whole "You'd be safer with Uncle Scrooge on an adventure than in Fort Knox" thing she said at the end of the episode.
    Maybe she'll eventually find out, freak out, and Donald will have to intervene to restore her faith? That sounds like an episode in the making.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The only bit that made me go 'huh' was a moment of fridge logic after I finished watching it. Scrooge finds that stone tablet in Atlantis that depicts how the city sunk - too focused on spectacle and death traps to provide proper foundations. Did someone else do that, or were the Atlanteans like the guy in Monty Python who takes the time to carve out 'AAAAARRRRGGGHH' on the wall of the cave as he's being eaten?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

I presumed not everyone died in the sinking. At least not immediately. The series plays traditionally loose with lethality depending on drama vs. jokes. Flooding room? Deadly. The booby trap Launchpad walked into? Not so much. Or Donald getting charbroiled multiple times. It's not like anyone seemed worried Flinty isn't returning at the end of the episode.

Fun episode, really liking the character changes. My only mild nitpick was Atlantis wasn't exactly a visual feast with its mostly dark stoney tunnels. For a series that places a lot of stock on adventuring I'm hoping we get more colorful locales in the future.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

The girl and I have started watching the old Ducktales again. It's still pretty good and holds up quite well after all these years. I prefer the triplets as they were in the old series to what we have been shown in the new one, which I think will be a constant point of irritation with the new one.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow, that got darker faster than I had anticipated.

Also, assuming the general consensus about this is right, does Mrs. Beakley know?
    Because it makes sense for her to know, but that also doesn't jive with the whole "You'd be safer with Uncle Scrooge on an adventure than in Fort Knox" thing she said at the end of the episode.
    Maybe she'll eventually find out, freak out, and Donald will have to intervene to restore her faith? That sounds like an episode in the making.
    I think Mrs. Beakley knows but doesn't blame Scrooge, or has forgiven him, while also still being on good terms with Donald. She is the friend they both kept.

Also, I read some speculation/spoiler based on something that was said in the episode and something that was apparently done in the comics.

Spoiler: / Speculation
    Show
    In the episode, Donald mentions "the Spear of Selene" a couple of times. And in a comic I didn't know, Della eventually became an astronaut and got lost in space.

So there's a good chance the show will eventually have the triplets find their mother stuck on the Moon, where she was teleported by this ancient artifact.

I hope this song plays.

24. - Top - End - #84

I think Mrs. Beakley knows but doesn't blame Scrooge, or has forgiven him, while also still being on good terms with Donald. She is the friend they both kept.
    That just doesn't make any sense to me.
    "Yes, you're perfectly safe with Uncle Scrooge, my one and only child. That poor lass who was much older and more experienced than you was just a fluke, and after all, Scrooge is much more elderly now, and out of practise!"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

[regarding Donald's sister] I think Mrs. Beakley knows but doesn't blame Scrooge, or has forgiven him, while also still being on good terms with Donald. She is the friend they both kept.

Spoiler: / Speculation
    Show
    In the episode, Donald mentions "the Spear of Selene" a couple of times. And in a comic I didn't know, Della eventually became an astronaut and got lost in space.

So there's a good chance the show will eventually have the triplets find their mother stuck on the Moon, where she was teleported by this ancient artifact.
    Here I figured Donald's sister
    Spoiler: Speculation
    Show
    went off to space adventure with aliens on her own free will in the unreleased comic Kingdom of the Crystal Beak

That just doesn't make any sense to me.
    "Yes, you're perfectly safe with Uncle Scrooge, my one and only child. That poor lass who was much older and more experienced than you was just a fluke, and after all, Scrooge is much more elderly now, and out of practise!"
    You are attacking the logic of a cartoon that depicts Donald being fried multiple times, Launchpad being fine after being hit with the deathtrap, and Scrooge and the kids both confronting multiple lethally-equipped villains in both of the first stories and their takeaway is how fun adventure is.

Its most likely Mrs. Beakley, like every other adult in the show, is simply oblivious to the dangers. She likely doesn't know about any misfortunes, but its also possible she dismisses anything she knows about as a fluke. Its not like these characters to dwell too much on anything negative.

It is most consistent with the tone of the show to have mom
    Spoiler: Speculation: She who has yet to be named
    Show
    to have Della be happily occupied in wherever she ended up
    but its also possible that
    Spoiler: Alternative
    Show
    Della disappeared when she was on her own, or with Donald and not Scrooge

If you want headcanon for Mrs. Beakley, she figures that Scrooge isn't handholding the adults like he would with the kids. That logic is no more frivolous than the idea of taking kids on an adventure to a sunken city full of death traps.

If you want to be disturbed about something. Think about the implications of Atlantis being destroyed with the crew retrieving only two gems from the treasure room. A civilization capable of producing a jewel-battery that can power a city for 50 years would surely have all sorts of incredible wonders that are now lost forever.

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    You are attacking the logic of a cartoon that depicts Donald being fried multiple times, Launchpad being fine after being hit with the deathtrap, and Scrooge and the kids both confronting multiple lethally-equipped villains in both of the first stories and their takeaway is how fun adventure is.

Its most likely Mrs. Beakley, like every other adult in the show, is simply oblivious to the dangers. She likely doesn't know about any misfortunes, but its also possible she dismisses anything she knows about as a fluke. Its not like these characters to dwell too much on anything negative.
    I am not. I'm attacking the logic of one possible interpretation of such a cartoon. Because, yes, it is willing to throw logic out the window when it needs to, but until it does, it's far more reasonable to apply real logic. Personally, given how overprotective she was implied to be in the pilot episode, it makes infinitely more sense to me that she isn't aware of the incident than that she doesn't care about the incident.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

I am not. I'm attacking the logic of one possible interpretation of such a cartoon. Because, yes, it is willing to throw logic out the window when it needs to, but until it does, it's far more reasonable to apply real logic. Personally, given how overprotective she was implied to be in the pilot episode, it makes infinitely more sense to me that she isn't aware of the incident than that she doesn't care about the incident.
    Keep in mind the only source we have of her being so overprotective is Webby, there might be misunderstanding shenanigans at work. I mean teaching her martial arts but keeping her locked up, then finding out she lied to you and went on a dangerous trip yet being completely cool with it...

That doesn't sound overprotective at all, so I think it's more likely Webby misunderstood her Grandma's intentions

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mari_Lilac View Post
    Keep in mind the only source we have of her being so overprotective is Webby, there might be misunderstanding shenanigans at work. I mean teaching her martial arts but keeping her locked up, then finding out she lied to you and went on a dangerous trip yet being completely cool with it...

That doesn't sound overprotective at all, so I think it's more likely Webby misunderstood her Grandma's intentions
    I'm kind of cynical about a kid misunderstanding something as definitive as a parenting style. It's also not really a matter of intention so much as observed practice. Webby has never eaten a hamburger and has no friends despite living in a major city. She also displays signs (or at least the modern television stereotype of awkward enthusiasm) of someone relatively unsocialized who hasn't interacted with peers before. For a preteen, that's extremely sheltered. Regardless of the intention, Grandma seriously needed to course correct here and took the opportunity.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing I had pointed out to me, is that the nephews not only are birth order stereotypes, but also admire Scrooge for different reasons that resonate with themselves. Huey likes a great mind, Dewey wants Adventure, and Louie wants Treasure. And they all embody various aspects of Scrooge and what made him rich. A clever and insightful mind, a lust for adventure, and a good business sense.
    Last edited by PhantomFox; 2017-08-24 at 12:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90

PirateGirl

I just watched the reboot episode. I quite liked it.

First, a bit of context. I used to watch the old show when I was a kid. It was entertaining and fun at the time I watched it. I don't think I've watched it since, so I can't really say how the new show compares to the old show in terms of quality.

I like the fact that the triplets are now distinct from one another. I also like the fact that Webby's character traits are more than "girl" (I recall her being an annoying drain when she was present before). The voices (except Launchpad/Glumgold/Donald) were pretty different from what I recall, but I think they worked fine. I kept expecting Scrooge to change into a blue costume and it didn't happen. I remember being confused in the original show why Donald was pretty much never around, so it's nice to see him as a main character now.

I like the art style. It's visually interesting to watch the movements and designs. I appreciate that it's not in that computerry, renderry 3-Derry look.

Probably about the only thing I didn't care for was Mrs. Beaksley. From what I can remember of the older show she- like Webby- didn't really have any character traits apart from being extant. So clearly having some change from that status was going to be a good idea. I just didn't have a good initial impression from what I've seen so far of her. When she gets more characterization, my thoughts may change.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.