New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

Spoiler: The Mummy Episode
    Show
    By the way, I have to appreciate the whole Thriller dance Dewey tried to use against the mummy. Just needed Vincent Price's laugh (or a reasonable facsimile). And how much it throws Scrooge off his game that it's burritos that save the day and not his heroic speeches. The episode was about as pointless as the Infernal Internship, but at least this episode was fun and funny and that counts for a lot, unlike that one.
    [/QUOTE]

While the A Plot was pretty lame, I thought the stuff with Scrooge and Glomgold was great enough to make the internship episode pretty good overall.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Spoiler: Dewey and Webby's adventures and Toth-Ra
    Show
    Unlike the Louie episode, where Louie puts in all that work just to impulsively spend his first dime on soda, Dewey actually seemed to have learned his lesson from the pilot.

Yes, Dewey was reckless to an extreme and also showed a lack of thought about anyone else. However, he doesn't act this way in any future episodes. Although I suspect Dewey will be the reckless one, I don't see him repeating that extreme.

Webby is the competent adventurer. However, going forward I see here being more likely to swing Dewey to safety with her grappling hook than lecture anyone. In every episode we've seen, Webby has been the one receiving the lectures from Louie, Huey or even Lena.

In fact, I recall now there is one adventure Dewey and Webby has gone on together. During "The Great Dime Chase" Dewey and Webby seek out information on Della Duck. During this portion of the episode, Dewey basically follows Webby around, and Webby is the one that gets them into trouble rather than vice versa.

I think that segment shows what the Webby-Dewey dynamic is likely to be. Dewey is raw adventurer while Webby is the one with knowledge and experience. Dewey will get himself in trouble in equal measure as being lead into it, and, unlike the other triplets, Dewey will likely not come into conflict with Webby.

I think this is why the Dewey Webby team up was forgettable. While Webby pairs well when she is with Louie, who attempts to impart his junior con-artist wisdom. Also in our episode Louie turned out to be more reckless, or perhaps he's just greedy.
    Spoiler: More on Team-ups
    Show
    You make a solid point. The Library pairing went too smoothly to stick into the memory, though I think that was in part because both of them were so firmly focused on the prize: any knowledge on Della is a dominating motivation for both of them. In a more general adventure, I do think Dewey would be more interested in proving himself, resulting in friction between the two. It may well be that Dewey has grown from his experiences in the pilot, but I doubt he overcame the flaw entirely in one episode, if only because he'd remain the only one to grow all that much since.

Spoiler: Toth-Ra, Mark Beaks, Thriller
    Show
    I have to disagree with you here. Mark Beaks seems to me to be a great idea for a continuing villain and his episode, while not the best in the series, tells us more about the relationship between Scrooge and Glomgold, and sets up Mark Beaks for another caper.

The Living Mummies of Toth-Ra maybe funnier 80's references carry more resonance for you than Silicon Valley parody. I have to admit I think the jokes were better done in this episode. Ultimately though, Toth-Ra and his followers seems pretty forgettable... maybe they should be shown in a future beach episode running burrito stand.
    Spoiler: The Mummy and Mark
    Show
    I don't mean to suggest the Mummy was a great or even good episode, and especially not a meaningful one. It was weak filler cynically placed right before Halloween, nothing more.

I do think it's better than the Infernal Internship, however. The conflicts were more enjoyable, the interactions were more enjoyable, and the resolutions were more enjoyable. The Silicon Valley parody aspect would have worked better if they hadn't played it so straight - it would have been far more amusing if they'd mixed it with more Willy Wonka, but the "fun-gineering" aspect is too spot-on to the cliche they were parodying, and it's ultimately spoiled by the fact that Mark is knowingly conning everyone in order to get rich. If they'd better shown that he was otherwise successful in his own right and this is just a ploy to break the golden ceiling, it wouldn't bother me, but the actual outcome would be the equivalent of discovering that Willy Wonka was secretly running a massive franchise of dentist offices and embezzling millions from diabetes charities. Huey and Louie don't have any fun interactions (Huey's breakdown isn't even all that interesting, he needs to take lessons from Donald on how to throw an entertaining fit), Mark undersells the danger of the episode at each turn before revealing that that, too, was all a sham, and the Scrooge/Glomgold alliance was mired in preamble without ever getting to anything meaningful-slash-entertaining.

The Mummy, on the other hand, is like a bag of candy: an ephemeral pile of empty calories that don't add anything meaningful but still provides some pleasant diversion for a time. Watching Scrooge's heroic speeches get upstaged by a half-eaten burrito was good. Having Webby accurately and honestly correct the guard on the finer points of ritual sacrifice (because, if she had to be sacrificed, she'd rather it done right) was great. Having earnest Webby contrasting with con-artist Louie was amusing. Having the mummy actually manifest all the insane mythic abilities its followers ascribed to it was funny. Having it all turn out to be a scam then twist into a realized prophecy resolved (once again) by Launchpad's burrito fixation was entertaining. Having them do Thriller without actually calling it out was... nostalgic and clever. Having the final punchline be Scrooge admitting that, despite dropping nine grand on Mexican food and all the danger involved in the adventure, the burrito he got out of it (that he paid for) was actually not bad at all was satisfying if kinda weird. None of it was high art like the initial few episodes, but I didn't regret seeing it at all.

There are episodes of this show that I will happily watch multiple times if the mood takes me, like the Daytrip of Doom! or even The House of the Lucky Gander!. Mummy didn't annoy me, but I probably won't waste space on my DVR to keep it, or even remember it all that much besides a few choice moments. The Infernal Internship, however? I actively disliked that one and am hard-pressed to find something about it that was actually entertaining.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

3. - Top - End - #183

The whole thing with Beaks is him manipulating the stock market, in a technically legal manner. The problem is that the post-hype market correction is going to cost him big.

In reality, one of the protagonists would probably report him to the IRS and SEC.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The whole thing with Beaks is him manipulating the stock market, in a technically legal manner. The problem is that the post-hype market correction is going to cost him big.

In reality, one of the protagonists would probably report him to the IRS and SEC.
    I’m not sure how it could be technically legal if he is reportable to the SEC.

Both the scheme itself and the way his scheme unfolds is cartoonish. Beak’s billion dollars of worth is apparently measured all in one bank account rather than in stock value or other assets. Also he is making money in a rather linear fashion throughout the episode, although he is talking about some sort of stock sale.

The scheme itself was to hire someone to steal his non-existent product after he hyped it. I’ve seen jokes about hype creating enthusiasm for non-existent products since the dot.com boom. Investors chasing hilariously half-baked companies and scams is an old joke (and one with plenty of RL analogues).

Don’t think the unrealistic part is that Mark Beaks should be getting caught and punished though. The IRS is only involved if he didn’t properly report and pay taxes (not mentioned or at issue). I’m pretty sure creating a non-existent project and attempting to “steal” it would count as securities fraud, but Beaks claims no one would believe Huey and Dewey because he already fired them and they are just disgruntled employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

In the pilot why didn't Scrooge report Glomgold to the authorities for attempting to kill his family and destroying a priceless cultural heritage site when he had half a dozen independent witnesses (the rescued mercenaries) to back him up?

Ducktales has always been a show where you shouldn't think about realistic consequences too hard. For the heroes or the villains.
    Last edited by Spamotron; 2017-11-02 at 10:04 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186

They're in international waters, so there's no one to report to for the attempted homicide. And since Atlantis isn't a registered archaeological or cultural history site, it's not protected.

The stock scam is called a Pump and Dump (aka the main plot of The Wolf of Wall Street). You hype up the stock to raise the price with a buying frenzy (because too many investors are sheep following the herd), then sell near the peak. Beaks was doing the Pump, but not the Dump (which would mean selling his company). The SEC would want words with him any way, but this may factor into things like performance bonuses to make it a different form of fraud.

As for the IRS, that depends on how thoroughly Beaks is cooking the books on Project Ta-Da. There's a fair chance he's been faking the R&D costs (it should be none, but that's a red flag to savvy investors that the project is a scam), which opens him up to tax fraud charges.

Also, the number on his smart phone seems to be an aggregate of all his accounts, although it is possible that's just his stock portfolio valuation. Actually, it's a cartoon, so probably the latter.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    In the pilot why didn't Scrooge report Glomgold to the authorities for attempting to kill his family and destroying a priceless cultural heritage site when he had half a dozen independent witnesses (the rescued mercenaries) to back him up?
    We see the answer is in the Mark Beaks episode, Scrooge treats Glomgold attempts on his life (and other evil plots) as silliness that is a waste of time for him to engage in.

That seems especially true of Glomgold, but it seems to apply to every villain. Regardless of the level of danger threatened, the Ducktales protagonists never seem to be bothered too much by it, especially after the fact.

They're in international waters, so there's no one to report to for the attempted homicide. And since Atlantis isn't a registered archaeological or cultural history site, it's not protected.

The stock scam is called a Pump and Dump (aka the main plot of The Wolf of Wall Street). You hype up the stock to raise the price with a buying frenzy (because too many investors are sheep following the herd), then sell near the peak. Beaks was doing the Pump, but not the Dump (which would mean selling his company). The SEC would want words with him any way, but this may factor into things like performance bonuses to make it a different form of fraud.

As for the IRS, that depends on how thoroughly Beaks is cooking the books on Project Ta-Da. There's a fair chance he's been faking the R&D costs (it should be none, but that's a red flag to savvy investors that the project is a scam), which opens him up to tax fraud charges.

Also, the number on his smart phone seems to be an aggregate of all his accounts, although it is possible that's just his stock portfolio valuation. Actually, it's a cartoon, so probably the latter.
    It the screen says "Mark Beak's Bank Account." Its a kiddie cartoon, it is just a bank account that somehow is getting money dripping into it at an even clip. Makes as much sense as Scrooge's bajillion (I believe that is the official tally) in wealth built on endless adventures and treasure hoards.

Incidentally, is there anything in the Ducktales cartoon to suggest there is even an United States?

By the way, in the US, for most of the comics run, it was illegal for private citizens to own gold.

Ducktales has always been a show where you shouldn't think about realistic consequences too hard. For the heroes or the villains.
    Thinking of the pilot, the realistic consequences that tickled me was that this would be just the greatest Archeological find ever. So what both obscenely rich adventurers due is run right into the city (Scrooge does it with kids in tow), grab a single item each, and then leave, destroying the place utterly.

What's more Scrooge and the gang basically do that every single adventure (of course this is what tends to happen whenever anyone visits amazing archeological sites in any show, comic or movie).

By the way, while we talk about fantastically extending real world consequences to DuckTales, no one has noticed that Scrooge's behavior in the last episode has underscored just how much his character has changed.

Scrooge has yet to demonstrate his greediness and miserliness. In the comics, he has Donald and the triplets working for him for under minimum wage. In the earlier series he would usually at least occasionally remind us he is an incredibly miserly person.

Here, Scrooge has yet to complain about an expense, and only Louie's over-the-top wastefulness disturbed him. In the last episode, classic Scrooge would have been admiring how Toth-Ra exploits his labor force, or thinking of using them himself.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Scrooge has yet to demonstrate his greediness and miserliness. In the comics, he has Donald and the triplets working for him for under minimum wage. In the earlier series he would usually at least occasionally remind us he is an incredibly miserly person.

Here, Scrooge has yet to complain about an expense, and only Louie's over-the-top wastefulness disturbed him. In the last episode, classic Scrooge would have been admiring how Toth-Ra exploits his labor force, or thinking of using them himself.
    Well, he's complained about a few expenses, he just hasn't refused to pay them. He certainly went bug-eyed when informed that he owed a burrito stand $9,000 (which is fair, but also that's chump change for him).

But overall, I agree. This version of Scrooge hates wastefulness and people taking the easy path (such as Gladstone Gander), rather than just being miserly. He's usually cautious with his money, but he's generally on the side of the little people and doesn't want to cut costs if doing so will hurt people. I might argue that he's a reflection of Ebeneezer Scrooge after the three ghosts, rather than before them.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

That's not how that works. Assuming murder is illegal in whatever nation Glomgold, Scrooge or his family are citizens of, Glomgold can still be prosecuted regardless of where he commits the act. Extraterritorial jurisdiction still applies in International Waters, the only difference is you might be under more than one other Nation's jurisdiction.

The United States can still prosecute a US citizen for committing murder even if the act was done in Outer Space. The difference is the Russians also might get prosecutorial authority if the act was committed on a Russian Space Station or to a Russian citizen, but that doesn't change the US's ability to set down laws for it's citizens. Some laws are subject to territorial concerns, but murder is not usually one of them.

A better answer, beyond the fact that this isn't a particularly grounded setting, is Glomgold is cartoonishly rich, and therefor more than able to avoid legal technicalities regarding crime and punishment.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    That's not how that works. Assuming murder is illegal in whatever nation Glomgold, Scrooge or his family are citizens of, Glomgold can still be prosecuted regardless of where he commits the act. Extraterritorial jurisdiction still applies in International Waters, the only difference is you might be under more than one other Nation's jurisdiction.

The United States can still prosecute a US citizen for committing murder even if the act was done in Outer Space. The difference is the Russians also might get prosecutorial authority if the act was committed on a Russian Space Station or to a Russian citizen, but that doesn't change the US's ability to set down laws for it's citizens. Some laws are subject to territorial concerns, but murder is not usually one of them.

A better answer, beyond the fact that this isn't a particularly grounded setting, is Glomgold is cartoonishly rich, and therefor more than able to avoid legal technicalities regarding crime and punishment.
    It is more complicated than this in the US under current US law. https://www.vox.com/2014/5/22/573875...-get-away-scot

Note why the hell are we talking real world legal systems and its technicalities about a cartoon show, and especially a cartoon show about mummies coming back from the dead, magic, atlantis, and so on.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

11. - Top - End - #191
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Well, he's complained about a few expenses, he just hasn't refused to pay them. He certainly went bug-eyed when informed that he owed a burrito stand $9,000 (which is fair, but also that's chump change for him).

But overall, I agree. This version of Scrooge hates wastefulness and people taking the easy path (such as Gladstone Gander), rather than just being miserly. He's usually cautious with his money, but he's generally on the side of the little people and doesn't want to cut costs if doing so will hurt people. I might argue that he's a reflection of Ebeneezer Scrooge after the three ghosts, rather than before them.
    That's always felt like Scrooge's thing. It's why he has a lucky dime. He made his riches by being smarter than the smarties, and tougher than the toughies. People who cheat their way to success are not truly successful.

12. - Top - End - #192

Something to note about Scrooge McDuck and his thriftiness/miserliness is that as a character, he comes from a time where non-native born Americans(Read: Immigrants and foreign nationals) tended to be depicted in stereotypical fashion.

The common stereotype at the time for the Scottish was that they were all very cheap and thrifty to comical levels(Well, to be fair, most of the scots known to the English and to Americans were, for a variety of reasons, but it was exaggerated to absurd levels as all stereotypes are.)

Scrooge is kind of grandfathered into the Disney canon, but I can see why people might want to tone down character traits that could be seen as offensive to more acceptable and realistic levels, especially in a work where he's meant in a heroic role.

Although it should also be noted that Scrooge in the comics was initially a neutral and sometimes even a villainous character. It was only over time and with character development, changing writers, flashbacks to his past, and explanations of his more negative traits.

(And in what's considered the definitive canon in the comics, all of his worst actions happened during a period of time where he was angry, bitter, and depressed.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Scrooge is weird. He is less greedy and more shrewd, but he seems to have a blind-spot when it comes to people. He employs Launchpad and Gyro despite the fact that both of them are extremely (if unintentionally) destructive. If Scrooge literally takes all the damages Launchpad causes out of his salary, the big duck must be pulling down seven digits at the least to be able to afford any burritos at all, and he funds Gyro almost explicitly because then the damage Gyro causes will be limited to his property. He has no craps to give at the fact that the kids are ripping up his manor while playing darts, instead focusing on the kids themselves, and only gets upset when he is actively inconvenienced. And not financially, at that, just his nephew bogarting Scrooge's private bathroom.

It's just a pretty interesting angle for the character, I think.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

My observations on Scrooge McDuck.

In the original 80's cartoon Scrooge's Stinginess was used for comedic effect. In the opening episode, he owns a Limo and a hires a chauffer, but he walks to the docks to pick up Huey, Dewey, and Louie. He only takes a cab when he realizes that he is going to be late, and he is not happy about it. He then has his nephews WALK to the mansion carrying their stuff.

In the episode that shows how Scrooge and Launchpad meet, it is revealed that Launchpad is only paid one cent per mile. Another episode has Scrooge complain that Launchpad is already making 6 times his starting wage. And the end of the episode Launchpad agrees to go back to his starting pay. Maybe all those crashes are not on accident. . .

In contrast, the new series has Scrooge perfectly willing to spend money and indulge in luxuries. When asked if he is still a trillonaire, Scrooge points to an exotic bird that he keeps in his yard as a pet. He's also willing to spend 15 million a year on magic protection for his money bin. And when his vultures suggest cutting it, Scrooge defends it. He defends his loyal employees from cutbacks. This Scrooge is not a cheapskate for the sake of being a cheapskate, or for a joke. He is willing to spend his money, which is a good thing because hoarding his wealth like that would be a massive drain on the economy.

Another thing I enjoy about the new Scrooge McDuck is the people he surrounds himself with. They are not normal. Launchpad clearly has a crazy backstory and has crazy skills hinted at in House of Lucky Gander. Ms Beakley also seems to be of Agent of Shush level of skill, yet works as a housekeeper and trained Webby to be of similar level. Great Dime Chase shows us Gyro's and Quackfaster's madness that Scrooge just rolls with. And the Mummies of Toth-Ra shows us that Scrooge considers himself to be the only sane person in the world at times.

Overall, there are different characterizations of many characters and that is a good thing. If Disney wanted to do the same thing over and over, then they would just show reruns of the 80's cartoon. While there are callbacks to delight fans of the comics and the cartoon, the new series is written to pull in new viewers as well.
    Hello world. . .

15. - Top - End - #195

An important thing worth mentioning in that write up of yours is that the magical protection is also REQUIRED because MAGIC IS VERY REAL.

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    An important thing worth mentioning in that write up of yours is that the magical protection is also REQUIRED because MAGIC IS VERY REAL.
    Ditto to this.
    On Scrooge's thriftiness, though, I think they've taken a step too far in the other direction. Having Scrooge be so comically cheap in the earlier cartoons certainly might have made him feel colder, and I can see why they'd want to change that, but I think they could've kept a bit more of it. He makes mention to being Scrooge McDuck, and not spending one penny more than he has to, but that's not really what we see. He may not like spending money, but he's more than willing to do so.

I feel like there's a happy medium they've missed where he can be comically cheap, but also not come across as exploitative or uncaring.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    He is willing to spend his money, which is a good thing because hoarding his wealth like that would be a massive drain on the economy.
    Actually, since Scrooge's wealth is mostly tied up in gold, mystical historic artifacts (IRL can't be sold on a legitimate market), and other treasure. He could really distort gold prices and other markets by spending.

Scrooge actually seems to be employing people and owning lots of real business concerns (unverified), but, if so, they are in deep background. I imagine the vultures, when they are talking about Scooge's interests, are really referring to his adventures and things he could accomplish with the absurdly low staff they give absurdly rich people in television.

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    My observations on Scrooge McDuck.

In the original 80's cartoon Scrooge's Stinginess was used for comedic effect.

In contrast, the new series has Scrooge perfectly willing to spend money and indulge in luxuries. When asked if he is still a trillonaire, Scrooge points to an exotic bird that he keeps in his yard as a pet. He's also willing to spend 15 million a year on magic protection for his money bin. And when his vultures suggest cutting it, Scrooge defends it. He defends his loyal employees from cutbacks. This Scrooge is not a cheapskate for the sake of being a cheapskate, or for a joke. He is willing to spend his money, which is a good thing because hoarding his wealth like that would be a massive drain on the economy.

Another thing I enjoy about the new Scrooge McDuck is the people he surrounds himself with. They are not normal. Launchpad clearly has a crazy backstory and has crazy skills hinted at in House of Lucky Gander. Ms Beakley also seems to be of Agent of Shush level of skill, yet works as a housekeeper and trained Webby to be of similar level. Great Dime Chase shows us Gyro's and Quackfaster's madness that Scrooge just rolls with. And the Mummies of Toth-Ra shows us that Scrooge considers himself to be the only sane person in the world at times.

Overall, there are different characterizations of many characters and that is a good thing.
    I see the craziness of Scrooge's staff to be either 1. a natural function of their character as always portrayed or 2. part of the evolving nature of those characters. As you mentioned Scrooge considers himself the only sane person, so maybe he hasn't even noticed his staff is so weird.

Yes changing characterization can be good. I concerned with this Scrooge, however, we don't have ENOUGH characterization. We've yet to get a truly Scrooge centric episode to flesh out this Scrooge a bit better.

We can see Scrooge has grown to love his family, he is adventurous, and he appears to have a big heart even for strangers (as we see him helping the mummies out for their own sake).

However, as it regards money, what I'm seeing is, without being unreasonably cheap, this Scrooge is merely more...normal. He's level-headed, pragmatic with money, perhaps, as he was at the burrito stand, he can even be generous with its use.

I think Scrooge loses something from not being unreasonably and inappropriately cheap. It is, after all, all in his name.

18. - Top - End - #198

Scrooge has about twenty times all the gold ever mined* in his money bin. The very existence of that has trashed the economy.

*for the record, if you melt down all the gold ever mined and pour it into an Olympic-style pool, you will have room left over for all the platinum on top.

19. - Top - End - #199

EvilClericGuy

My mother has a bunch of old comic books from the 60s. Among them are a few Scrooge McDuck comics.
    There's a comic where Scrooge discovers an asteroid at the Earth–Moon L2 point. (In non-science terms that means it is in orbit around the Earth, but behind the moon so no one on Earth can see it. The gravity of both Earth and Moon holds it in place.) This Asteroid is solid GOLD! So Scrooge takes a rocket to the asteroid stakes a claim and mines it.

so I'm okay with Scrooge having more gold than the world as some of his wealth is extra-terrestrial. And this money it makes sense for him to hoard as he would cause massive inflation if he released it all into circulation.

also: a Film theory video covers this well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-hQf-F3hyU
    Hello world. . .

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone know when the next episode comes out?

21. - Top - End - #201

The trouble is demonstrating it in a way that doesn't make him either an extremely unsympathetic character, a knockoff of Mr.Krabs, or an economic propaganda mouthpiece mouthpiece
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

22. - Top - End - #202

I don't know what the official reason is but here's what it should be: McDuck should have a lucrative side business of suing Glomgold for millions and millions of dollars whenever he pulls stuff like this, to the point where it's actually in his financial best interests for Glomgold to remain out of jail.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

23. - Top - End - #203

Given Glomgold's reaction to being upstaged, Scrooge's best (and cheapest) tactic is the age old 'live your life well'. Or as he put it in the Beaks episode, being a better billionaire.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    The trouble is demonstrating it in a way that doesn't make him either an extremely unsympathetic character, a knockoff of Mr.Krabs, or an economic propaganda mouthpiece mouthpiece
    Technically Scrooge McDuck was way before Mr. Krabs, so Mr. Krabs is a knockoff of Scrooge.

Also, for a template on how to make Scrooge cheap but still lovable, all one has to do is boot up the reruns of Ducktales, or even go to the comics.

The comics Scrooge is bordering on extremes. He exploits Donald and the Triplett for under-minimum wage labor hauling his treasure and other things that should raise eyebrows.

As far as politics go. Scrooge is always a parody, so whatever economic philosophy he spouts will always come out as just a overly intellectual way of him saying he is a cheapskate.

I’d say he seems more preachy in “The Great Dime Chase” than usual, and its a direct consequence of him clearly being level-headed and moderate (and its the vultures that appear stingy to extremes).

Finally, as far as economics, finance, wealth, investment, and business management apply to Scrooge... see below -
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I don't know what the official reason is but here's what it should be: McDuck should have a lucrative side business of suing Glomgold for millions and millions of dollars whenever he pulls stuff like this, to the point where it's actually in his financial best interests for Glomgold to remain out of jail.
    See this is the thing about Scrooge. Not only does fancy economics not apply, or basic financial concepts, but his businesses seem largely non-existent.

I seem to recall that Scrooge manages everything from the basement of money bin (in the Great Dime Chase again) and it look heavily automated, with too many rooms and floors and practically no staff.

Scrooge’s wealth, in every incarnation I’ve seen, is built on successful treasure hunting (and in former incarnations saving a ridiculous amount of it), not business management. Scrooge hasn’t been one to conduct real businesses for the most part, let alone real big businesses.

Not only should Scrooge be ignoring Glomgold to avoid breaking the spell over the series that everything is always going to be alright, but figuring a way to make money by sophisticated business maneuvers, high finance, or legal stratagems, is simply not Scrooge McDuck and never has been.

Scrooge is the ultimate exemplar of the extreme naivety in how fictional rich people get depicted. Scrooge wealth is impossibly large, making him wealthier than say...the US gov’t, yet despite his claimed business acumen, his wealth accumulation strategy amounts to what is taught to every five year old. Scrooge just saves all his money and gets more by finding it somehow (usually by himself going on adventures with a very small staff that he pays less than minimum wage). This he would call his “hard work.”

Scrooge’s business philosophy isn’t the only thing that makes him a parody. Scrooge has old habits, outdated clothing, a comically big house and money bin, and this taste in interior design runs to things considered antiques when the comic started! Basically Scrooge is the ultimate charicature of a TV rich person, one should view him as such and expect certain things out of him that are consistent with that caricature, as opposed to what makes sense from actual rich people.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

About Miser Scrooge McDuck

Let's go back 30 years to 1987 and watch not an episode of Ducktales, but instead a 20 minute short that disney did that included Scrooge, Huey, Dewey, Louie, and Goofy called Sport Goofy in Soccermania. Note this came out same year as Ducktales a few months earlier and it is the first time Russi Taylor voiced HDL and Russi Taylor later on months later voiced HDL in Ducktales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_...in_Soccermania

Not the full plot but here is the quick summary from wikipedia that covers the first few minutes.

In the half-hour special, Huey, Dewey, and Louie ask for help from Scrooge McDuck for their new soccer team by requesting he donate $1.49 to buy a championship trophy. Scrooge, being his typical stingy self, goes into a rant of "A dollar forty-nine! That is a lot of money!" and instead give an old trophy of his he thinks is worthless, but the boys pass the curator of the Duckburg Museum who sees it is a rare artifact worth a million dollars, causing Scrooge to gain the reputation of a generous philanthropist throughout Duckburg. To win back the trophy, Scrooge is now made to sponsor his nephews
    And since there is no new episode of Ducktales (2017) and the video is on youtube lets watch this old classic Disney video about the most famous family from Duckburg

So what is everyone's opinions on this episode?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Scrooge’s wealth, in every incarnation I’ve seen, is built on successful treasure hunting (and in former incarnations saving a ridiculous amount of it), not business management. Scrooge hasn’t been one to conduct real businesses for the most part, let alone real big businesses.

Not only should Scrooge be ignoring Glomgold to avoid breaking the spell over the series that everything is always going to be alright, but figuring a way to make money by sophisticated business maneuvers, high finance, or legal stratagems, is simply not Scrooge McDuck and never has been.
    Actually in both Carl Barks and Don Rosa's stories, Scrooge's wealth is aquired by him being and extremely skilled invested and negotiator. He used his initial gold find in klondyke to finance the start of his buisness empire, and have afterwards traveled the world buying and selling everything from sand to cheese.

He does a lot of adventuring, but thats more of a hobby, in the same way that other less brave billionares golf.
    (Don Rosa has an excellent story of Scrooge doing the last bit. After accidentially losing a golf ball to a mud hole he goes out after it. Because those balls are 0.99 dollar! )
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

27. - Top - End - #207

EvilClericGuy

We do know that McDuck Water and Electric (a subsidy of McDuck Enterprises) supplies Duckburg with electricity via an ancient Atlantian Jewel. Take a look a your electric bill. There's two categories of charges: Generating the electricity, and delivering the electricity. McDuck Water and Electric just had the cost of generating electricity slashed. Costs down, price remains the same, profits go up. That right there is a additional income for Scrooge.
    Hello world. . .

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

New episode Dec 2nd. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

29. - Top - End - #209

Noooo....

Oh, wait, the Big Hero 6 premiere is in a couple weeks. Crisis averted.

30. - Top - End - #210

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    New episode Dec 2nd. That is all.
    Er... why?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"