New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: On The Subject of Heroes: An Account of Famous Early Trolaians IC

Grey nods silently and leaves the room, already jotting down the beginnings of a dramatic monologue.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Marielle watches Grey get up and walk out of the room."That one is going to be fun. I can't wait to learn more about her."

She looks around the table at the others. "Well, if nobody else has anything of interest, I'm gonna hit the bunk." She stands up and walks out of the dining cabin.

Over the next week, Marielle spends some time getting to know the crew, pumping them for information about Captain Carter as well as any information they have about Trolaia.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Charisma: (d20)[10]
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-03-15 at 09:22 PM.
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

During the week she spends interrogating, Marielle manages to use diplomatic charm and finesse to avoid being a total nuisance. The crew seem to regard her as no less annoying or bothersome than any other passenger on the whole, and one or two are willing to engage her in friendly conversation.

A gnomish crew member named Jorreddin "Stumbleduck" Tluppen, who you manage to catch as he mops the galley after supper midway through the week, is willing to share what he knows about the Captain. However, he himself is the newest crew member, and his knowledge is relatively limited.

"Well, it's pretty clear he's a drunkard, wouldn't ya say?" Stumbleduck says, leaning on his mop and tapping it thoughtfully with a many-ringed finger. "I signed up with him 'cos I heard he does right solid by his crew though. Been told he's loyal, a fair boss, and a generally good guy. I been told he can be a bit of a rapscallion though. Sometimes hangs around seedy types, but what sailor don't? He might have some enemies with some of the more no-nonsense thugs I dare say."

4. - Top - End - #34

OldWizardGuy

Doxun spends the time getting to know his fellow would be rescuers. He also spends some time sampling the wine options. At night, he summons his owl to so it can get some exercise and keep an eye on things. The ship could probably do with fewer mice anyway.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Marielle thanks Jorridden. She spends most of the journey near the bow or stern of the ship, watching the way the vessel breaks through the water, and watching the water as the small waves...the sailors called it a 'wake' moved away from the craft. She watches the sailors intently, learning how they use the ropes to move the sails around, and how the tiller works. That knowledge may come in handy some day if they ever want to get home.

Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

The wine options on the list are rather limited, only two or three different brews available. They are, however, nicely varied between a dark red with an almost burnt flavor, and a light red that seems to have the vague taste of almonds. Doxun's owl, meanwhile, enjoys a small feast of rats, ranging from big rats with a rat-like flavor to small rats with a rat-like flavor.

Marielle manages to learn a thing or two about sailing. Watching isn't quite as beneficial as trying it would be, but it may come in handy someday.

Ultimately, the week draws to a close without any disastrous events such as pirates or giant squid attack. As predicted, one early morning you are collectively woken up by the excited shouts of sailors who are eagerly announcing that landfall is imminent.

A couple hours later, the ship is tied up at a moderately large wooden dock in a small town named Spirit, which is effectively the first colony established on Trolaia and the base of operations for the further settling of the island.

"So, I've got to get some of the cargo sorted out and delivered about town as well as check in with a few... acquaintances o' mine about town. Mayhaps you all should take a gander around, then come back and meet me here in... four hours? Then we can get a move on with the job." Says Captain Carter, though tired, squinting eyes as you all disembark the vessel.

7. - Top - End - #37

OldWizardGuy

Duxon rubs his chin as he surveys the town.

"Anyone want to join me for a look around?"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Marielle nods her head. "I"ll wander with you," she says. "Let's see if we can find a place I can pick up a few extra arrows. Just in case."

Show

9. - Top - End - #39

"I'd like to check out the library, if there is one. I'll see you all in a few hours." Grey says and promptly steps off towards the center of the town, planning to ask for directions as soon as the port district is out of sight.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

10. - Top - End - #40

OldWizardGuy

Duxon waves to Grey as they head out. "Careful, frontier towns can be iffy."

Then he turns to Marielle. "Ok,lets find you some arrows. I don't need to head anywhere particular, just want to stretch my legs after beeing cooped up. I used to be as tall as you before I took too many boat rides."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Marielle smiles down at the gnome beside her. "You have a sense of humor. That is good. I find when the stress of being lost in the middle of an uncharted area gets high...those who can laugh tend to last a little longer." She sniffs the air as they walk and occasionally digs her boot into the dirt a little bit, testing the consistency of the soil. "What do you think the tabaxi is up to? A story? I guess this might be the kind of story her type want to be on the cutting edge of." She nods her head in satisfaction of figuring out that puzzle. She looks around the town and notes the types of trees. She listens to the language of the locals and eventually winds her way to a weapon shop.

She purchases 20 arrows, then walks through the rest of the town before returning to the ship within the four hour mark.

Show

12. - Top - End - #42

OldWizardGuy

Duxon ponders as they walk. "Hard to say, really. Maybe it's cover for a clandestine meeting that has nothing to do with our official job. Maybe they have an addiction to feed. Or, maybe, they just haven't read any good books lately."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Doxun and Marielle: While out and about on the town, Marielle manages to gather several tidbits of information from her various tests and noted points of interest: The soil is rather fertile: It seems suitable for growing various sorts of tropical fruits and berries, and you do catch sight of several plots of land that seem to be orchards specifically for cultivating those kinds of vegetation. Most of the trees do seem to be palm trees or other tropical fruit trees such as mango trees, but there are several oddities: A tree with pink leaves, and a tree with a pale, white-barked trunk, lots of thin, pointed leaves and a strange purple fruit dangling from the highest branches.

As for the language and locations you two are seeking, you hear a wide variety of dialects uttered in the streets, but Common seems to be the most predominant. There's an unusual quantity of Infernal and Gnomish in particular, but with a varied population of colonists, the language diversity is high. Although, many people are peppering their speech with little bits of the other languages spoken on Trolaia. No doubt a mixed, pidgin language is in it's early vestiges of formation.

You also are unable to locate a dedicated "Weapons" shop, although there is both a blacksmith (Malachi's Marvelous Metals) and a fletcher/hunting supply store (Deersbane Incorporated). Naturally, you manage to acquire your weapons in the latter, for the standard sale price.

Gray: Once you've left the port, you find yourself in a vague sort of business district: The city development isn't highly intentional or planned, but the residential area is further into the city. You manage to find a goblin jewlery peddler who isn't too busy, and he tugs slightly at the septum piercing hanging off his hooked nose as he considers your question.

"No library around, but perhaps I can still offer suggestion. There's a local..." He wheezes for a second. "A local lawyer, one of the only ones around, with a large collection of books he's usually willing to loan out. Would you like directions?"
    Last edited by Tezla; 2017-03-23 at 10:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

"I'd love directions. Law is so... interesting. What's the owner's name?" Grey says, eyes glowing.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

[COLOR="#ff0066"]"Dalvian Dralmia, I believe. If you head that way and take the third alley on your left, then follow the street at the other end until after the curve, it'll be the third house on the right. He works from home, so there'll be a visible sign, something like "Dralmia Law Office"?" [/COLOR="#ff0066"]The goblin shrugs, clearly not totally certain of how accurate to reality his memory of the sign is.

16. - Top - End - #46

Wing nods and heads off to visit the lawyer. A few hours later, she approaches the boat again; "Have you lazes done nothing since I left?" she says to those who haven't wandered off.
    come on guys, I was having fun...
    Wing notices the lack of people and sits down to wait.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Marielle shrugs at Wing. "I haven't noticed them doing much of anything for a while."

Show