New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Knight Diplomacy, I mean come on.

So I love the knight and really think they're solid all around. I only have one thing that I just have to mention because what the eff. Why don't they get diplomacy!? Or even just make them choose between diplomacy or intimidate as a class skill. They have charisma uses throughout the class, they have the whole vibe of someone who would have diplomacy for that sweet smooth talkin but they don't get it? Oh sure the paladin does but not the knight!? Unless someone can give me a good reason not to I'm throwin them that bone.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Knight Diplomacy, I mean come on.

There's no good reason they're missing it. They're a relatively flawed class. (Their main abilities are turned off by large numbers of foes; they have a lot of mounted combat stuff but don't get a mount; they want to use Charisma but don't get all the skills for it...) Give them Diplomacy, 4+Int skill points, and an Animal Companion style mount and they'd be a lot happier.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

There are plenty of examples of classes that ought to have certain class skills but don't. I have a fighter character who makes a living between adventures as a body guard. Guess what: Profession is a cross-class skill for fighters, even Profession--body guard, Profession--mercenary, Profession--thug, etc. Phooey! (The DM gave it to me; any decent DM would.) I sometimes think it'd be better to eliminate the cross-class penalty completely. The rest of the time is when I'm not really thinking about it.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ooooh, I love the thought of giving them an animal companion mount(with full effective druid level for it since they'd be limited to the horses/riding dog for a small knight)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by artimus261 View Post
    Ooooh, I love the thought of giving them an animal companion mount(with full effective druid level for it since they'd be limited to the horses/riding dog for a small knight)
    You could use the list for upgraded Paladin mounts, if you'd like.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd like to put in a contrasting view - I'd much prefer to see something more along the lines of "mounted buffs". Unlimited use of Mounted Combat, bonus THP for any critter you're riding, treat it like an attended magic item while you're riding it, and so on and so forth.

I also think you could have a really solid Knight fix if you gestalted it with the Marshal and then shuffled things around a bit. I mean, it wouldn't fix one of the big problems (both the Knight and the Marshal don't play nicely with PrCs), but full BAB, 4+Int skill points, a d12 HD, and good Fort and Will saves would make them much more attractive.

Of course, you're left with a big hole at 18th level...

I might just write this up - both the Knight and the Marshal are freely available online, after all...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!