New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Support Spell: Tiene's Greasy Coat

This is my first homebrew spell, so I'm looking for some pointers for balancing the various parts of the spell (i.e. level, duration, number of targets, damage, the fact it's saveless).

The basic idea of the spell is to carry over the alternate effects of the grease spell from past editions while also adding the twist of it being used in conjunction with fire spells.

Tiene's Greasy Coat
    1st-level conjuration

Spell lists: Wizard

Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 60 feet
    Components: V, S, M (a bit of pork rind or butter)
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You target one creature that you can see within range. The target becomes covered in slick grease until the spell ends. While covered in the grease, the creature gains advantage on ability checks made to escape or avoid being grappled. The creature also gains disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws made to avoid or reduce fire damage. If the creature is dealt fire damage, it takes an additional 2d10 fire damage and the effects of the spell then end for the creature.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature you can see for each slot level above 1st.
    Last edited by Puh Laden; 2017-03-09 at 05:20 PM. Reason: clarified wording that you need to see targets and that the spell doesn't end for all creatures when one takes fire damage

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Support Spell: Tiene's Greasy Coat

This is in fact not only a support spell, but an acceptable offensive option against certain enemies.
    I think it's probably fine. I'm a grappler at heart, so I don't like to see this sort of stuff getting used, but it's not too OP and will be a fine thing to give your players.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-03-09 at 02:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Puh Laden View Post
    I'm looking for some pointers for balancing the various parts of the spell (i.e. level, duration, number of targets, damage, the fact it's saveless).
    Looks mostly fine. The fact that you have to hit the target with something else before anything bad happens means that it's okay without a saving throw.

a bit of pork rind or butter
    Ew.

If the creature is dealt fire damage, it takes an additional 2d10 fire damage and the spell then ends.
    My gut says this is a bit high; I'd probably have gone for 1d10 if I was writing this; but looking at it in depth, the numbers check out. You can do a flat 10 (over two rounds) by dousing someone with lamp oil... that's the same number of actions and an item instead of a spell slot. Probably fair.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thanks for the replies.

I wonder about the concentration aspect, on the one hand I'm saddened it's incompatible with flaming sphere (and it's a noticeable change from grease), but on the other hand without it you could replicate the effect of using this spell as a fourth level spell with two 2nd level spell slots, and the damage or something would probably need to be changed too.
    Last edited by Puh Laden; 2017-03-09 at 10:34 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Thanks for the replies.

I wonder about the concentration aspect, on the one hand I'm saddened it's incompatible with flaming sphere (and it's a noticeable change from grease), but on the other hand without it you could replicate the effect of using this spell as a fourth level spell with two 2nd level spell slots, and the damage or something would probably need to be changed too.
    If you take concentration out, you can take the damage down to 2d6. Also, I'd argue that spending 2 2nd-levels for a 4th-level effect is probably fine.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the replies.

Honestly, I think concentration is warranted. I'd keep it. The effect discharges if the target is set on fire, which makes it kind of like a smite (all of which use concentration), and it's a 1-minute buff besides, which are almost always concentration to prevent wizards turning themselves into indestructible war-machines (and resistance to grappling is definitely a nice buff for wizards if there's no fire around).
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

That fire damage is a bit brutal for a level 1 spell(and by extension level 1 and 2 characters), but I like the concept. I might even have it add 1 to armor class since weapons are more likely to slip off rather than land a solid blow. That might be a bit too powerful for a level 1 spell though.