New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Should Barbarian be a race subtype

A friend of mine was recently discussing this with me and I'm not sure if I totaly agree but I can see where he is coming from. Barbarian for the most part is really more of a type of people and not really a class by definition. From that type opens up a slew of classes from berserkers to shamans however to him it's fairly disagreeable that barbarian be a class. I was wondering what everyone else thought of it and if anyone has tried a homebrew creating the barbarian as a racial subtype and not a class.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Should Barbarian be a race subtype

Some races get things similar to a barbarian rage, or have barbarian as a favored class.....

I get what you're saying (as one o' 'em), but I think that's just the folks who'd be likely to go into it in life....such can be said about Sorcerers and such as well.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nevar View Post
    Barbarian for the most part is really more of a type of people and not really a class by definition.
    It's a collection of class features with a short name. Would you prefer "Dude That Gets Mad" for a class name?

More seriously, this very question came up a while back, and my answer remains the same: Unless there's actually a cultural difference between the "barbarians" and their "non-barbaric" cousins, there's no sense in making them racially separate.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2007-07-25 at 11:50 AM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Calling a culture barbarian is ok, but it should not confer the same benefits of the class. The class is a set of mechanics used by players that describes every person of similar training. A race is a set of mechanics that describes every individual where the character is from.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Feral template from Savage Species is close, though it goes beyond native/barbarian culture and into wolf-boy cliche.

But really, race and/or class do not equal fluff. You can be a wizard from a barbarian culture. You just have to be good at roleplaying.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

and just because a people are consideret barbarians does not mean all of them have class lvs in barbarian, they might as well be hunters or cleric fx.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seffbasilisk View Post
    Some races get things similar to a barbarian rage, or have barbarian as a favored class.....
    I feel this is the optimal solution.

8. - Top - End - #8

Try calling them "Berserkers". The real result? You have to reorder the Player's Handbook if you make it an official change.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It's a collection of class features with a short name. Would you prefer "Dude That Gets Mad" for a class name?

More seriously, this very question came up a while back, and my answer remains the same: Unless there's actually a cultural difference between the "barbarians" and their "non-barbaric" cousins, there's no sense in making them racially separate.
    QFT. There's very little reason to make a change when the class name itself is just an identifier.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Why stop with barbarians? What about knights? They are more a social class than a professional class.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Wasn't there a Thread exactly like this last week?

Anyway, no, there's no reason for Barbarian to be a Racial Sub Type anymore than a Sub Class or Prestige Class (that is to say, unless you want it to be).
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

12. - Top - End - #12

I don't see why they shouldn't be a class. I don't see how it would work as a racial subtype, for that matter.
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Be sure to keep fluff and crunch seperate.
    The barbarian class can just as well be played as a pirate, gladiator, thug, dervish, pro-wrestler, bandit/mercenary/other fighter-style-type with severe anger management problems and a dislike for order- in fact, the barbarian class fits every character concept for a frontliner going berserk and smashing things up.

Or, to put it in a nutshell :

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

That's one way of looking at it and that is how it is presented in the SRD. However, the PHB (and other Base Class sources) associates very specific fluff with crunch. You can choose to ignore it or modify it, but it is definitely there as part of the Base Class description.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

I consider the term "Barbarian" to apply to a particular type of culture rather than a class, race or sub-race. I just call them "Battleragers" instead, and give them much the same benefits. I also remove the fluff which says they come from uncivilized lands / barbaric tribes, and the non-Lawful alignment requirement as well.

BTW, there is a Battlerager PrC already in Races of Faerun, but I ignore it.

16. - Top - End - #16

Do you remember when Elf and Dwarf were class options, and no one had a race?

The only Barbarian that immediately comes to mind is Conan, and his people were not all Barbarians. They were peasants of non-descript human origin. Barbarian is a class for wild-lands fighters without formal training, and it's possible to be a goblin barbarian, an orc barbarian, even an elf barbarian. So no, I don't think of barbarians as a race, anymore than I think of 'gypsy' as a race. It's a way of life, which more closely parallels the theme elements found in character classes.
    Last edited by Tokiko Mima; 2007-07-25 at 04:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

The Baldur's Gate series comes to mind. Minsc was a Rashemi barbarian, but his class was ranger (despite the existence of a barbarian class). Still, he could somehow rage.

I do understand where the OP's coming from: a person from a barbaric culture could very well be a ranger and not a barbarian by class, but by RAW a ranger is literate while a barbarian is illiterate--even if they had the same social background.

Then again, one could argue that since the barbarian shares some class skills with the ranger, it's best to represent a barbarian through the class, even if he's a hunter of sorts.

In any case, I still think the barbarian is better represented as a class and not a racial subtype.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, that's because Minsc was:

Class: Warrior
    Sub Class: Ranger
    Kit: Barbarian/Berserker

...more or less. Baldur's Gate granted various special abilities for NPCs that seem to be part of 'invisible' Kits. Maybe the source is Forgotten Realms specific, I wouldn't be surprised.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Heh, that's because Minsc was:

Class: Warrior
    Sub Class: Ranger
    Kit: Barbarian/Berserker

...more or less. Baldur's Gate granted various special abilities for NPCs that seem to be part of 'invisible' Kits. Maybe the source is Forgotten Realms specific, I wouldn't be surprised.

Kits were a 2nd edition-wide thing that came up in the player's option books, and most were either horribly overpowered compared to the base classes or completely pointless. Much like the non-human races before we had things like HD adjustments or LA. They weren't fearun specific.

However, Minsc was just a ranger who went berserk because that's what Rashemi Berserkers did. It was a fluff thing that became crunch via DM (or rather, game designer) fiat, because 2nd edition played real loose with the rules like that.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

^ Remember the Kensai kit? In BGII, did you ever make a Kensai/Mage? For those of you who've never played Baldur's Gate, think "Wizard can do it better" + "Fighter whose attacks are all always critical hits." That was a fun combination. *maniacal laugh*

Back on topic, you could just give them Rage 1/day as a regional feat, like all those Forgotten Realms regional feats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Being a hulking great warrior with a tendency to fly into a fit of rage in battle isn't hereditary, therefore it shouldn't be a racial subtype. Historically, the same cultures that we would expect to produce barbarian-like people (such as the Norse) also produced plenty of commoners, fighters, clerics, and other classes.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    The Baldur's Gate series comes to mind. Minsc was a Rashemi barbarian, but his class was ranger (despite the existence of a barbarian class). Still, he could somehow rage.
    That's because Baldur's Gate was based on second edition rules, not third edition. The Barbarian class didn't even exist in the original game, for which Minsc was created.
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    Kits were a 2nd edition-wide thing that came up in the player's option books, and most were either horribly overpowered compared to the base classes or completely pointless. Much like the non-human races before we had things like HD adjustments or LA. They weren't fearun specific.
    I am fully aware of how Kits worked. They didn't actually belong to the Player's Option series, but the Player's Supplement Series. The Berserker Kit pretty much provides for what Minsc was capable of [i.e. Ranger with the ability to go Berserk], but the Kit is not overtly mentioned.
    However, Minsc was just a ranger who went berserk because that's what Rashemi Berserkers did. It was a fluff thing that became crunch via DM (or rather, game designer) fiat, because 2nd edition played real loose with the rules like that.
    Maybe, maybe not. I have no idea what the rules were for Rashemi Berserkers pre Warriors and Priests of the Realms (1996), when the Region Specific Kit was introduced, but I wouldn't be surprised to find they used the Berserker Kit from the Complete Fighter's Handbook or some variant thereof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpina
    That's because Baldur's Gate was based on second edition rules, not third edition. The Barbarian class didn't even exist in the original game, for which Minsc was created.
    Actually not quite true. The Barbarian Fighter Sub Class (which is the equivalent of a 3e Base Class) was introduced late in the 2e run (1995) with the Complete Barbarian's Handbook. It was almost certainly available to the BG developers had they wanted to make use of it.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I am fully aware of how Kits worked. They didn't actually belong to the Player's Option series, but the Player's Supplement Series.
    Page 64 of Skills and Powers disagrees with you.

The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Bah! Those weren't real Kits!

Yeah, stupid me. I was actually thinking of that fact when I was writing that sentence, but it got lost in the prose. Yeah, what I meant was that Kits were introduced in the Player's Supplements...

26. - Top - End - #26

I figured, but I wanted to be a pain. ;-)
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *LVDO ERGO SVM