New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Endurance/stamina mechanics?

Anyone know of an RPG with a good endurance/stamina mechanic for essentially how much you can accomplish without being exhausted?

5e d&d is all about action economy, but I'm looking for something a little more in depth than that, where characters can push themselves to accomplish more at the cost of some kind of exhaustion.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Endurance/stamina mechanics?

First two that come to mind are d6 (the Stamina skill, linked to Strength) and Hackmaster (Fatigue Factor, based on Constitution and Wisdom).

Oh, and 3EG's Apocalypse Prevention Inc has a stamina mechanic as part of its combat.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The Hero System (Champions, Fantasy Hero, etc.) does this well. Many people don't like the math involved in doing so.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Gurps uses fatigue where you can push yourself for extra effort in combat and other physical stuff or lose it through exertion, heat, starvation, dehydration etc.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Ars Magica has a fatigue system.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I suppose the fatigue rules from RuneQuest 3 count, but they were a right pain to actually use most of the time. I don't recall if they are still in Basic RolePlaying and I have no idea if they will be in the new edition of RQ when it comes out.

Arguably, D&D 3.5 has a form of this - the ability to take a standard action while disabled (0hp or negative hp with diehard feat) which results in taking damage...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

CODA system has a fatigue track in addition to health track. When doing strenuous activity (running, fighting etc.), you roll to check if you become winded, then to see if you become fatigued etc. (You can spend Courage points to improve your odds at the roll). Each level of fatigue takes successively longer to recover from - f.ex. it takes 30 minutes to go from winded to hale. Each level of fatigue poses penalties, which also influence how fast you become more fatigued. So if you try to push really far past your limits, you will either burn through Courage real fast or quickly be incapacitated by exhaustion.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

BoEF of DnD 3.5?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP