New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Survivor RPG

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Survivor RPG

Hey all, I'm looking for a little help with a concept. I'm trying to figure out how I would structure a "reality show"-like campaign similar to Survivor, Big Brother, Amazing Race, etc. In this case, of course, the challenges would be things like completing a dungeon, fighting a monster, etc. All of this is no problem. The sticky point occurs when we look at one staple of these types of competitions: elimination. Whether it's by vote, coming in last place in a challenge, or what have you, these shows all have that in common.

This creates a challenge in designing this type of campaign, because you want to keep your players around! Having a character eliminated means the player has nothing to do. I've considered having each player make a set of multiple characters (let's say for sake of argument there are 4 players, each with 4 characters), but I'm still struggling with how such a campaign would be laid out.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, let's hear it!
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Survivor RPG

Don't treat the players as individual competitors; not only will you run into the elimination problem, but you'll quite likely foster an unhealthy play environment. Instead, treat the PARTY as the competitor, one of several in the competition. That way everyone has to work together to win.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Are you planning on playing it straight? If the competition whittled down to just the PCs, then something changed...that'd be fun.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't treat the players as individual competitors; not only will you run into the elimination problem, but you'll quite likely foster an unhealthy play environment. Instead, treat the PARTY as the competitor, one of several in the competition. That way everyone has to work together to win.
    You're probably right about that. I'm concerned that it might lead to protecting the PCs from elimination, making it feel forced.

Quote Originally Posted by JBPuffin View Post
    Are you planning on playing it straight? If the competition whittled down to just the PCs, then something changed...that'd be fun.
    Yeah, it's possible they discover something about the competition -- like an ulterior motive on the part of the organizers -- that turns the competition on its head.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    You're probably right about that. I'm concerned that it might lead to protecting the PCs from elimination, making it feel forced.

Yeah, it's possible they discover something about the competition -- like an ulterior motive on the part of the organizers -- that turns the competition on its head.
    I mean, the general assumption in any game is that the PCs are able to clear the challenges ahead of them, but... I guess you could maybe combine them? When and if the PCs get eliminated, then the secret plot takes over?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

You might take a look at X-Crawl, it covers a lot of those bases already.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    You might take a look at X-Crawl, it covers a lot of those bases already.
    Beat me to it.

However, Xcrawl is 3.0 and was never updated to 3.5e. While that's not too much work in conversion, may I suggest Maximum Xcrawl? It was a Kickstarter Project by Goodman Games to update Xcrawl to Pathfinder ruleset.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.