New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Multiclass BAB

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Multiclass BAB

My barbarian is going to go Bear Warrior (CW) but i don't know how you calculate the two classes BAB's together.

Do i assume that i am a level higher to determine what my attack bonus is (as in a count as level 8 barbarian if i am 7 barbarian/1 Bear warrior) my attack bonus would be +8/+3?

Or do the classes attack bounuses stack so if i am 7 barbarian/1 Bear warrior i would have a BAB of +8/+2 instead?

Cheers for your help.
    You've Been Sentenced to Death By Sexy...

Here comes the Pope he's been blessing some Apples!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Psionics is essentially "Automatic Still+Silent". It's kind of annoying to not know anything is up until the constipated-looking baldie at the other end of the arena blasts your brains out your ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocato View Post
    16. While sad, a bag of puppies works both as a trap springer and bait.
    Psionics. It's balanced, honest.

Avatar totaly not made by Baboon Army, it's all my own

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Multiclass BAB

Add the first number together. This is the BAB for your first attack.

Subtract 5. If the number is greater than zero, this is the value for your second and subsequent attacks. If the number is zero or less, you do not gain any further attacks.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: Ignore me, answered the wrong question.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-07-26 at 04:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your BAB would be +8. You get +7 to your BAB from your Barbarian class, and +1 from your Bear Warrior class. Since you have a BAB above 5, you would get 2 attacks on a Full Attack option, the first at your BAB (+8), and the second at your BAB-5 (+3).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

...Just out of interest, do you own a copy of the Player's Handbook at all? Because the rules aren't exactly vague about this...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

If a character (like a monk) using natural attacks takes multiattack, will they get the same number of iterative attacks but at a -2 penalty to each?

Not sure if this has come up before.
    The easy I do before breakfast,
    The difficult I do all day long,
    The impossible achieved during the workweek,
    Miracles performed when possible.
    People call me the Fixer,
    and I am here to help you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fixer's Guide to Neutrality
    Fixer's Fighter Fix
    (Campaign) Characters:
    Searching For... Goldenrod
    Survival... Gelder

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer View Post

If a character (like a monk) using natural attacks takes multiattack, will they get the same number of iterative attacks but at a -2 penalty to each?

Not sure if this has come up before.
    No. You do not receive iterative attacks for natural weapons.

...though you can add them onto any full attack.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    ...Just out of interest, do you own a copy of the Player's Handbook at all? Because the rules aren't exactly vague about this...
    I kind of skipped to the bit where t say's i kick ***
    You've Been Sentenced to Death By Sexy...

Here comes the Pope he's been blessing some Apples!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Psionics is essentially "Automatic Still+Silent". It's kind of annoying to not know anything is up until the constipated-looking baldie at the other end of the arena blasts your brains out your ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocato View Post
    16. While sad, a bag of puppies works both as a trap springer and bait.
    Psionics. It's balanced, honest.

Avatar totaly not made by Baboon Army, it's all my own

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hippie_dwarf View Post
    I kind of skipped to the bit where t say's i kick ***
    That's not something to be proud of.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Let me be a bit clearer: a monk, despite having his unarmed strikes be treated as natural and manufactured weapons, does not qualify for Multiattack by virtue of the fact that he only has one unarmed strike and therefore does not qualify for it.

However, a thri-kreen, who has four claw attacks and a bite, does qualify. What happens if he takes monk levels?

Well, if he manages to get off a full-attack, his attack pattern will look like:
    flurry routine/claw -5/claw -5/claw -5/claw -5/bite -5.

With Multiattack, it looks like:
    flurry routine/claw -2/claw -2/claw -2/claw -2/bite -2.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I have a similar question, would a monk4 ftr1 Half-orc paragon 3 Bear warrior 1 with twf and itwf be able to full attack with his unarmed strikes and still add his claw/claw/bite on top of it? So with a full attack/flurry that would be a +4(unarmed strike), +4 (unarmed strike), +4 (unarmed strike), -1(unarmed srike), -1 (unarmed strike), -6(claw), -6(claw), -11(bite)? What is the damage of overlapping stuff like that, a monk's unarmed strike adds his full dex while a bear's primary weapon adds x1.5 his str while his bite adds +.5-- do I have to identify which attacks are which and stay within those parameters of additional damage even if my unarmed strikes are technically claws.

Can a creature with a natural claw attack simply increase his damage die with the monk progression with his claws, making them slashing/piercing/bludgeoning unarmed strikes or are unarmed strikes always bludgeoning regardless of the creature with monk levels?
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

You can always add natural attacks to full attack routines. Well, usually, there are certain exceptions (no using claws if you wield a greatsword, for instance, and only one claw if you use a one-handed weapon), but you can always add them to unarmed strike attack routines.

The monk unarmed strike damage applies to, shockingly, only his unarmed strikes. Natural attacks are not unarmed strikes. When you use them you count as "armed". Your claws have absolutely nothing to do with your unarmed strikes. And, yes, unarmed strikes are always blugeoning, unless you've taken the Versatile Unarmed Strike feat in ToB.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2007-07-26 at 05:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    You can always add natural attacks to full attack routines.
    Unless, of course, the specific rules for that situation state otherwise. Adamantine wings, for example.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    EDIT: Ignore me, answered the wrong question.
    Aw cr@p! Did anyone else just feel the foundations of the earth shudder?

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Let me be a bit clearer: a monk, despite having his unarmed strikes be treated as natural and manufactured weapons, does not qualify for Multiattack by virtue of the fact that he only has one unarmed strike and therefore does not qualify for it.

However, a thri-kreen, who has four claw attacks and a bite, does qualify. What happens if he takes monk levels?

Well, if he manages to get off a full-attack, his attack pattern will look like:
    flurry routine/claw -5/claw -5/claw -5/claw -5/bite -5.

With Multiattack, it looks like:
    flurry routine/claw -2/claw -2/claw -2/claw -2/bite -2.
    Let me see if I got this right. A full-attacking flurrying Thri-kreen monk would get his full flurry routine plus 4 more claw attacks plus his bite? Surely that can't be right?

Flurry + 2 claws (two more limbs than a quadruped) + bite I could see, but the plus *4* claws just seems - I dunno - counter-intuitive to me. Shouldn't the flurry over-write at least two of the natural claw attacks?

I'm not arguing your take on the penalties that apply, they look about right even without referring to the books; but to count a mantisman monk's limbs twice for attack purposes? That would surely be like giving a human monk his flurry routine (perhaps all taken as kicks for flavour purposes), plus two extra unarmed strikes because he has two fists.

Or have I just run face-first into D&D logic?
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2007-07-26 at 06:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Ooo thats a nasty crack in your shell.
    I belive you can flurry with something in each hand, Fax is never wrong... twice.
    Last edited by Charity; 2007-07-26 at 06:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Aw cr@p! Did anyone else just feel the foundations of the earth shudder?

Let me see if I got this right. A full-attacking flurrying Thri-kreen monk would get his full flurry routine plus 4 more claw attacks plus his bite? Surely that can't be right?

Flurry + 2 claws (two more limbs than a quadruped) + bite I could see, but the plus *4* claws just seems - I dunno - counter-intuitive to me. Shouldn't the flurry over-write at least two of the natural claw attacks?

I'm not arguing your take on the penalties that apply, they look about right even without referring to the books; but to count a mantisman monk's limbs twice for attack purposes? That would surely be like giving a human monk his flurry routine (perhaps all taken as kicks for flavour purposes), plus two extra unarmed strikes because he has two fists.

He can flurry with things other than his fists, such as headbutts, knees, kicks, elbows, etc. Assuming this, his four claw attacks are untouched.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

That'd be the one!
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

When a humanoid has normal full attacks and natural attacks, it can make both as part of a full attack action, as long as its physically capable of doing so. All of your natural attacks are at (Full BAB - 5) to hit. For example, a 11th level darfellan Fighter using a greatsword would get four attacks (+11/+6/+6/+1, greatsword, iterative greatsword, bite, final iterative greatsword).

If you meet the requirements, you can take the Multiattack feat to reduce your natural attack penalties to -2, and then Improved Multiattack to reduce your natural attack penalties to -0.

If you have claw attacks, you can only use them as part of a normal full attack if you are not otherwise using your hands for any reason. This means that only a Monk can use its normal Unarmed Strikes and claw attacks as part of a full attack action. Though you should note that natural attacks are considered unarmed strikes or natural attacks, so you cannot Flurry and then use your Natural attacks.

If you are not in humanoid form, you only get the natural attacks of your current form, with the primary/secondary routine dictated by your form. So a Barbarian 19/Bear Warrior 1 in Brown would get three attacks (+20/+20/+15, Claw/Claw/Bite).

If you meet a big set of pre-conditions (high BAB, limited to certain types, like dragons, must have a pair of attacks, like claws), you can also take Rapidstrike and then Improved Rapidstrike to gain more attacks with your natural weapons. But the feats are poorly worded, so check with your DM.

FYI, its even more complex then that, and there are all sorts of various exceptions. But that should be everything you need to know.