Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Jafnan Vándr [OOC]

Jafnan Vándr

“Better it is to die in battle with honor, than to live in shame because you did not defend your people.”
    IC thread

Here's my 16:
    Spoiler
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Viking nine realms cosmology and pantheon

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    4-6, apply with a character and background and I will choose from the pool of applicants

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    These Forums

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    6th level

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    6000 gp

Wealth stolen from PairO’DiceLost/Chambers
    My standard PbP houserule to mitigate the issues of the Big Six items: Any items, spells, powers, and any other sources granting enhancement bonuses to attack rolls, stats, or AC, resistance bonuses to saves, or deflection or natural armor bonuses to AC no longer do so (with item prices being reduced appropriately), and those items that only do that no longer exist; this also means you don't need to pay for a +1 before putting special abilities on weapons and armor.

Instead, to mimic the Big Six bonuses and grant more all-around competence, everyone gains +1 to all ability scores at each even level and adds half their BAB as an untyped bonus to AC that applies to touch and flat-footed AC. These ability score bonuses replace the normal +1 to one score every 4 levels. For simplicity, skill points for all levels are determined using your final Int score, and later increases to Int will increase skill points accordingly.
    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    No brew.
    No incarnum
    No Psionics
    No templates

Magic users and spells are scary, and will come with their own setbacks, most people in the world, find magic to be weird and scary as hell, suffice to say, magic users are not common.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Human, half-orc, changeling, shifter, Goliath (refluffed as human), Half-Giant, half-elves, Neanderthal, spiritfolk. (You may take alternate versions of these races if possible)

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Roll 4d6b3 x 7 twice or 32 point buy.
    Roll vitality points each level after first.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Alignment is in place for spells and spell affects. I'm lenient on Alignment restricted classes and Paladins have a more grey area.
    Alignment is like the Pirate code, it's more of a guideline than actual set of rules.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Have at, no penalty.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    DM will make his rolls and some of players, Players will make their rolls most of the time.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    • Bonus feat based on clan affiliation*
    • Every class increases their skill points by 2 every level
    • Feats every other level
    • Teleportation is blocked by force effects.
    • Gates work on the same plane
    • Retroactive skill points
    • Max 2 flaws
    • Fractional Saves/BAB
    • up to 2 traits
    • 1 xp = 5 gp for crafting and spells (no costly spell components)
    • Armor as DR in addition to normal ac value.
    • Vitality and Wound points (place WP’s in your Temp HP’s, and Vitality in your total HP’s)
    • Cold weather rules will be in effect (see frostburn pg ~9)

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Yes, skirt length.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    If I'm doing it right a little bit of everything.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Any WoTC. (and that is it)

The clans
    Volsungar
    The Volsunger claim ancestry to the great ancient Ents of this realm, who have long ago withdrawn into the dark places of the worlds, away from the eyes of men. Their leader, Olafur, is a fearsome bear of a man, rumor has it, he can actually morph into one, and runs into the wilds on a full moon. He acts in no way to prevent this rumor. The majority of the clan is located in Hedeby, which shelters Olafur’s holding within the bosom of two heavily forested valleys.
    Bouns feat: Jotunbrud

Skilfingar
    The Skilfingar are the oldest clan, or so they claim, declaring themselves descendants to the ancient men, the first Men to have climbed from Embla’s womb. They challenge the dominion of the Skjöldung. Their leader is Cnut, a cunning wise young man, who has proven his patience and ability in seeing outside the box. The clan holding of the Skilfingar is located in Aarhus, a windy stone walled fortress atop a windswept plane of peat.
    Bouns feat: Endurance

Folkunge
    The Folkunge boast the best trackers in the realm, capable of hunting down the most capricious of animals, and even boast the most bounty hunters. Their leader is Sigurd, a small man, but incredibly fast and deadly, he is wide and quick witted. The Folkunge longhouse is found in Viborg, on the coastline to the Aelleaic fjord (and boasts a small port)
    Bonus feat: Track

Skjöldung
    The Skjöldung are a proud and boastful clan, and claim dominion over all other clans through birth right, claim of lordship bestowed by Odin himself. They boast tireless warriors, and house several berserker lodges within their lands. Their leader, Guthrum, is an intelligent man, with great strength. They are located in Aarlborg, at the foot of the great Skarstind Mountains.
    Bonus feat: Tireless

Hook:
    You will start in village of Ymr-hallr led by Jarl Ranveig, bannerman to Cnut. You have been asked to come and investigate some missing people to the north of the village.

Player Character Clan
    Lightning Fast Sigurd Geirson Volsungar
    DrK Lagertha Skjöldung Skoljdung
    Autopsibiofeeder Sage of the Wolf & the Folkunge Folkunge
    whoiam Auðr1 Folkunge
    TankLaser007 Báleygr Gagnráðrsson Volsungar

No longer with us
    Player Character Clan
    CrystalMists Eir Snorredottir Skjöldung
    Archer the Cat Harald Bergfalk Skjöldung

Weather

Time of Day: 0715
    Temp: ~-20o
    Precipitation: Actively snowing
    6 inches on ground (small creatures suffer difficult terrain, and tumble DC +2)
    Actively snowing: Reduces visibility ranges by half, resulting in a –4 penalty on Spot and Search checks. It has the same effect on flames, ranged weapon attacks, and Listen checks as severe wind. (-4 to ranged attacks)

Current weather band: Severe Cold

Level of protection 0-1
    1d6 points of cold damage every 10 minutes
    Fort DC 15+1 (per previous check) or 1d4 points of non-lethal damage* every 10 minutes
    Suffer effects of Chill metal spell if wearing metal armor, or comes into contact with metal object

Level of protection 2
    Same as above, but every hour instead of 10 minutes

Level of protection 3+
    Immune

* = If you suffer damage, you also suffer from frostbite and hypothermia.

Spoiler: Protection levels
    Show

Base levels of protection
    Normal character 0
    Cold endurance feat 1
    Creatures native to cold terrain 1
    Cold-tolerant race (glacier dwarf/Neanderthal) 2
    Arctic animal 2
    Frostfell native 2
    Endure elements spell or effect 3
    Cold resistance 5 or more 3

Equipment Modifiers
    No special clothing +0
    Armor insulation +1
    Cold weather outfit +1
    Fur clothing +1
    Cold weather outfit + fur clothing +2
    Armor insulation + fur clothing +2
    Improvised shelter +3

Spoiler: frostbite and hypothermia
    Show

Frostbite
    -2 to dex and fatigue
    DC 15 heal check to remove (modified by environment)

Hypothermia
    DC 15 heal check to remove on level of hypothermia (modified by environment)

-Mild
    Fatigued
    If you fail a saving throw to avoid cold weather affects or exposure increases to moderate hypothermia.

-Moderate
    Exhausted
    If you fail a saving throw to avoid cold weather affects or exposure increases to severe hypothermia.

-Severe
    Disabled
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2018-02-01 at 11:39 PM.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

“Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi”
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Jafnan Vándr [OOC]

Please claim a speech color.

Also, please put your Wound point total in 'Current HP'

I'll go through sheets in more detail.

@DrK, where is your +3 misc save bonus coming from?
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Audr will use Dark Green, because, hey, Druid!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Hi all. "Blue for me, please."

I noticed some people rolling for the vitality points. Is that what you want me to do? I think I just took average rolls.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Rolling or average, whatever is better. (I never actually said in the thread, so year, my bad)
    Spoiler
    Show

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

I made it in! Praise Odin!

... I'm surprised how hard it is for me to pick a colour for my character. I guess I'll go with brick red?

Anyways, hi, all! I'll be playing as a charismatic barbarian, soon to be going into the Champion of Gwynharwyf class. Which is kind of like an angry paladin, but cooler.

EDIT: Do we have a "party face", so to speak? I've got a helluva lot of charisma and a lot of extra skillpoints from BelGarath's house rules, and I can probably take a few cross-class skills if need be.
    Last edited by Lightning Fast; 2017-03-27 at 04:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Allright, let´s see what is better. I am assuming you make the choice once, i.e. you don´t get to roll each level and take the average if the roll was below average?

(1d8)[8]
    (1d8)[2]
    (1d8)[3]
    (1d8)[4]
    (1d8)[6]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    Allright, let´s see what is better. I am assuming you make the choice once, i.e. you don´t get to roll each level and take the average if the roll was below average?

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    no, you can roll and then choose average if it's higher, im not here to penalize players. :P (Mostly)
    Spoiler
    Show

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll take Indigo for speech.

10. - Top - End - #10

RogueGuy

I'm glad we've got a wide array of classes here, by the way. And without deviating from the theme of the setting too much. :)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Fast View Post
    EDIT: Do we have a "party face", so to speak? I've got a helluva lot of charisma and a lot of extra skillpoints from BelGarath's house rules, and I can probably take a few cross-class skills if need be.
    Face Stats:
    Bluff: We don't have a single accomplished liar in the party! Sage has a point in it. Everyone else is just making Cha checks.
    Diplomacy: Right now Audr (+14) and Eir (+9) have our good Diplomacy checks.
    Intimidate: Sigurd (+18) and Harald (+10) are our intimidating members
    Sense Motive: Baleygr (+11) is our only decent Sense Motive check

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I will take Pink :)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I believe Harald should speak in Black; simple, strong, but with a presence.
    I'm not actually a cat, nor did a cat convince me to make this signature.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archer the Cat View Post
    I believe Harald should speak in Black; simple, strong, but with a presence.
    Could you choose another? That's my default for npc's
    Spoiler
    Show

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

15. - Top - End - #15

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Face Stats:
    Bluff: We don't have a single accomplished liar in the party! Sage has a point in it. Everyone else is just making Cha checks.
    Diplomacy: Right now Audr (+14) and Eir (+9) have our good Diplomacy checks.
    Intimidate: Sigurd (+18) and Harald (+10) are our intimidating members
    Sense Motive: Baleygr (+11) is our only decent Sense Motive check
    Bluff is for Loki Followers. Do you follow Loki fellow viking?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Fellow Viking? I checked Eir's sheet, and I don't see anything on there that suggests she was ever a Viking Audr has ranks in Profession (Sailor) for a reason!

(Admittedly, that's me being pedantic - technically 'Viking' meant either 'Norse Sailor' or 'Norse Raider', depending on which source you trust. Either way, you pretty much have to have served on boats to actually be Viking, as opposed to Norse.)

Anyway, to answer your actual point: No, she's another servant of Odin, which is one of the reasons why she's got 0 ranks in Bluff

17. - Top - End - #17

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Fellow Viking? I checked Eir's sheet, and I don't see anything on there that suggests she was ever a Viking Audr has ranks in Profession (Sailor) for a reason!

(Admittedly, that's me being pedantic - technically 'Viking' meant either 'Norse Sailor' or 'Norse Raider', depending on which source you trust. Either way, you pretty much have to have served on boats to actually be Viking, as opposed to Norse.)

Anyway, to answer your actual point: No, she's another servant of Odin, which is one of the reasons why she's got 0 ranks in Bluff
    Now now, I'm a follower of Odin, and I have five cross-class ranks in Bluff!

... Granted, that's mostly to boost my Intimidate skill and because I have too many extra points. But still!

... Oh, and if there's a way I can get Bluff and Diplomacy as class skills, that'd be mighty-fine xD

When can we expect a hook/IC thread, o great DMing one?
    Last edited by Lightning Fast; 2017-03-27 at 11:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

RogueGuy

Also...

Player Character Clan Build
    Lightning Fast Sigurd Geirson Volsungar Barbarian 5/Fighter 1
    DrK Lagertha Skjöldung Skoljdung Ranger 4/Swordsage 2
    Autopsibiofeeder Sage of the Wolf & the Folkunge Folkunge Factotum 6
    whoiam Auðr Folkunge Druid 6
    Archer the Cat Harald Bergfalk Skjöldung Barbarian 1/Warblade 5
    CrystalMists Eir Snorredottir Skjöldung Cleric 5/Runesmith 1
    TankLaser007 Báleygr Gagnráðrsson Volsungar Scout 3/Ranger 2/LA 1

I added classes to the table!
    Last edited by Lightning Fast; 2017-03-27 at 11:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Fast View Post
    Now now, I'm a follower of Odin, and I have five cross-class ranks in Bluff!

... Granted, that's mostly to boost my Intimidate skill and because I have too many extra points. But still!

... Oh, and if there's a way I can get Bluff and Diplomacy as class skills, that'd be mighty-fine xD

When can we expect a hook/IC thread, o great DMing one?
    The Norse valued wit and cunning as much as, if not more, than strength in arms. The hero/protagonist of more than one saga is characterized as being sly, clever or possessing otherwise "roguish" traits, there is no dishonour among Scandinavian mores for outwitting or manoeuvring your enemies, Odin especially tricked many a mortal, dwarf or giant in both the prose and poetic eddas.

And whoiam is correct technically a Viking is a "raider" but needn't be a "sailor" but raids were almost exclusively nautical affairs and seasonal, it was not uncommon to have individuals raid in the summer and spring and ply other trades in the "off season" like farmer, merchant, husbandry or even "politics". But you did find the most successful Vikings tended to own their own ships and were adept at their maintenance and use and not simply passive crew.

As far as gaining Diplomacy and Bluff there are alternate Fighter class features that would net those, Thug gets you Bluff (as well as Gather Information, Knowledge (Local) & Sleight of Hand) at the cost of your Level one Fighter Bonus Feat,Pugilist also gets you Bluff by losing your martial weapon proficiencies (but you get Improved unarmed strike).

If Bel lets you refluff the Zhentarim Soldier substitution levels you could get both Bluff and Diplomacy as Class skills at 3rd as well as a free Skill Focus in Intimidation as a Class feature. You need 1 rank in Knowledge (Religion) to take the substitution levels. Fencer also gets you Bluff and Diplomacy as well as a few Cha based options for combat you can take instead of Bonus Feats.

There are a lot of ACF/AL that offer Diplomacy; Thane, Shield Bearer (both very flavourful for a Viking), Bodyguard, Knight, Golarian Fighter, and Commander all grant Diplomacy a CS but some obviously would need reflufling. All would require you using your Fighter level for the ACF and something like Zhentarim Solider would require more of an investment as it is only first available at lvl3.
    Alternately and I guess more easily Bel could just let you "have it" for "free".
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2017-03-28 at 01:24 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Please claim a speech color.

Also, please put your Wound point total in 'Current HP'

I'll go through sheets in more detail.

@DrK, where is your +3 misc save bonus coming from?
    Sorry, ported PairODices rules from another game. Updated now.
    As green and dark red are taken I'll go for Dark grey
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Could you choose another? That's my default for npc's
    Then let's go with - Orange.
    I'm not actually a cat, nor did a cat convince me to make this signature.

22. - Top - End - #22

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TankLaser007 View Post
    The Norse valued wit and cunning as much as, if not more, than strength in arms. The hero/protagonist of more than one saga is characterized as being sly, clever or possessing otherwise "roguish" traits, there is no dishonour among Scandinavian mores for outwitting or manoeuvring your enemies, Odin especially tricked many a mortal, dwarf or giant in both the prose and poetic eddas.

As far as gaining Diplomacy and Bluff there are alternate Fighter class features that would net those, Thug gets you Bluff (as well as Gather Information, Knowledge (Local) & Sleight of Hand) at the cost of your Level one Fighter Bonus Feat,Pugilist also gets you Bluff by losing your martial weapon proficiencies (but you get Improved unarmed strike).

If Bel lets you refluff the Zhentarim Soldier substitution levels you could get both Bluff and Diplomacy as Class skills at 3rd as well as a free Skill Focus in Intimidation as a Class feature. You need 1 rank in Knowledge (Religion) to take the substitution levels. Fencer also gets you Bluff and Diplomacy as well as a few Cha based options for combat you can take instead of Bonus Feats.

There are a lot of ACF/AL that offer Diplomacy; Thane, Shield Bearer (both very flavourful for a Viking), Bodyguard, Knight, Golarian Fighter, and Commander all grant Diplomacy a CS but some obviously would need reflufling. All would require you using your Fighter level for the ACF and something like Zhentarim Solider would require more of an investment as it is only first available at lvl3.
    Alternately and I guess more easily Bel could just let you "have it" for "free".
    I would normally go Pugilist for Bluff and Sense Motive, since Barbarian gives me the extra weapon proficiency anyways, but that seems pretty cheap. Same as Bodyguard; given that we're using retroactive skill points, most of these extra proficiencies seem to be "for free" regardless. xD

EDIT: Also, I think these are from Dragon Magazine. Which, if I recall, is banned.
    Last edited by Lightning Fast; 2017-03-28 at 10:33 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by TankLaser007 View Post

And whoiam is correct technically a Viking is a "raider" but needn't be a "sailor" but raids were almost exclusively nautical affairs and seasonal, it was not uncommon to have individuals raid in the summer and spring and ply other trades in the "off season" like farmer, merchant, husbandry or even "politics". But you did find the most successful Vikings tended to own their own ships and were adept at their maintenance and use and not simply passive crew.
    Actually, the reason why following Odin keeps Audr from having Bluff trained isn't so much that I thought it was forbidden to her, as that it wasn't as high on the priority list as additional Knowledge skills (especially Religion and Arcana) or the Perform (Oratory) and Profession (Sailor) ranks she uses for her 'day jobs'. I ran out of Skill Points before getting to Sense Motive; Bluff was even further down the list. (Though had I unlimited skill points, Audr would have gotten there eventually.)

I have seen both "Raider" and "Sailor" given as the actual definition of Viking. My gut feeling is that it was probably a split definition at the time - it makes sense that the Old Norse word for 'Sailor' would become the Old English word for 'Raider', when most of the raiding against the late Anglo-Saxon nations was done by Norse Sailors...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Just checking in.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Keeping me honest, I appreciate it.

Had one of those weeks, I'll see to getting the OP up today.
    Spoiler
    Show

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

26. - Top - End - #26

RedKnightGirl

Keeping me honest, I appreciate it.

Had one of those weeks, I'll see to getting the OP up today.
    No worries. We all understand that life gets busy some times (least I'm gonna assume we all do).
    Take your time BelGareth. We can wait extra days

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

IC thread is up
    Spoiler
    Show

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alright! New thread subscription, new entry in my sig, and I'm ready to go!

Oh, mighty DM: do you want me to make any rolls for either examining the blood trail or for Huginn's scouting trip?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Anything that makes my life easier, is good in my book.
    Spoiler
    Show

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Some rolls:

Spot - (1d20+16)[25]
    Listen - (1d20+11)[21]
    Survival - Track - (1d20+22)[36]

Also are those around us "famous" enough due to their reputation or skaldic descriptions that we might recognise them?