New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amber diceless RPG

Help, i saw this game on the internet when bored and checking out sites for the chronicles of amber, and have to play it. has anyone out thier played it. would like some reviews. sounds like fun but i want to make sure its worth it before i get my group to try it. they are very stubburn.
    In a world were love is taken as lightly as a blade of grass, magik was doomed to die.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Amber diceless RPG

Personally, I like it better than D&D - even though it's hard to compare them.

- no dice
    - very RP-oriented
    - allows for a lot of creativity and/or sneakiness

But it probably requires more maturity too. Try a one-shot with your player so they get a feel of it (the typical one-shot is the Throne War, but you can come up with your own scenario).
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

This is a very good game, especially if your players have read Zelazny's novels. One thing that I would try to be careful of is that some of your more creative PC's will make good use of the "everything exists in shadow somewhere" to pull off some real madness. Try to keep your players together (in at least pairs) as much as possible, because once you have one alone there is potential for them to run amok. Lots of fun though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

now although i generally don't believe in diceless rpg systems, amber is a really nice one. zelazny's world gives endless opportunities to use imagination and with mature game master and mature players a game of amber can give you really unforgettable experience. on the other hand though, without mature players and especially game master amber like all diceless rpg systems tend to turn into grotesques - and that, sadly, happens about 90% of the time.
    must... eat... brain...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

I like it!