New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Zodi Plays: Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land (Dreams Missing! Cause: Rude Penguin)

Super huge Kirb-banner by my good friend Pinkhair.

Hello and welcome to this, the beginning of my next LP. Today we're playing the second ever Kirby game, Kirby's Adventure. Except not. We're actually playing it's remake, Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land, an enhanced version of the original game made for the GBA. The original was for the NES, and it pushed that system to the utmost limits of what it was capable of. While we will be playing the GBA remake, I'll definitely be showing off differences between the original and this one, if only for completion sake. It's Kirby, so we should be having some fun with it, after all.

I know that, given it's a Kirby game there isn't much TOO spoil, but let's try to keep what surprises there are secret until they show up, shall we? With that said, let's jump right in to Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland!

Zodi Plays: Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land [1] Eat Your Greens

Video Length: 14:31

Oh no! The people of Dream Land have found themselves unable to dream all of a sudden! Kirby, being the good and helpful boy that he is, heads out to the Fountain of Dreams to see what is the issue. There he sees mean ole King Dedede, the guy who stole all the world's food like a week ago, swimming in the Fountain! He stole the magic star rod that controls the fountain and broke it into pieces, giving the pieces to all his friends. It's up to Kirby to beat up Dedede's good friends and get the star rod back together, for the sake of good naps everywhere!

So! Kirby is an action platformer, as I'm sure you're all no doubt aware. You can run and jump, and since Kirby is a big ole puffball he can fly indefinitely! However, new to Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare in Dream Land, Kirby has gained the ability to slide, which does some minor damage to non boss enemies, and more importantly he can now eat his foes to gain their special abilities! This will become the mainstay of Kirby, his bread and butter, but for now this system is still in it's early phases. Each power has only one type of attack it can do when you push that button, and it does NOTHING else. The only things with more than one use are Sword, Hammer, and a friendly power we pick up in this video that's a super special secret. Sword and Hammer's attack is slightly different in the air, but otherwise each power only does the one thing. A very simple system, but it works. Also, unlike the original Kirby's Dream Land, which was a stage by stage progression thing, this new game has a sort of level hub that you can run around in to test powers and get familiar with the controls with! Every level you beat unlocks more of the current world's hub, as well as unlocking a few special bonus doors that let us play silly minigames for lives, or access art galleries to get a free power, or access gladiator arena's to fight an enemy to the death to obtain their power and a full heal, but more on that one later.

The first world is Vegetable Valley, a cute little plains like area full of simple enemies and simple navigation. It's a really good way to ease the player into playing the game, and encouraging them to experiment with all the new powers at their disposal. Almost every power in the game appears in the first stage, including the illusive and immaterial UFO power! It's a very solid set of levels, slowly ramping up to that old standard Kirby boss, Wispy Woods. Wisp Woods is a boss that shows up in basically every Kirby game, in one form or another. They even manage to make him a threat in some of them! In this game he is decidedly not threatening. A part of me feels like this was intentional, make those who've played the first game realize just HOW powerful Kirby's copy abilities are by making them able to chump the first boss so effectively. With Wispy defeated, it's onto the next world! But that'll be for next time. Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you all then!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2017-04-03 at 01:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land (Dreams Missing! Cause: Rude Penguin)

Yay, new thread! Ahhh... gotta love that 'new thread' smell.

And, so we begin.

I swear, this "peaceful" land is in danger more than it isn't.

...little on the nose there with "Dream" Land, but, okay, there've been more obvious names. Also, how does that fountain work? Do dreams just get recycled? Are these 'used' dreams? Does it overflow, and those dreams are the ones dreamt at night? And why are dreams able to be contained? I demand answers, Nintendo!

Oh, okay, so Hope doesn't even get mentioned in the name, yet it gets collected, too. And so these are just the cast-off hopes and dreams of everyone in dreamland? What a rip-off. I demand my dreams to be unused!

...okay, so does it collect dreams, or does it give them out? Is this 'fountain' more like a recycling plant? I'm going to call it that, instead. Blue Box of Dreams.

...okay, but that just means you have dreamless sleep, right? Not so bad.

Yech. I don't know if this is before or after the Blue Box recycles the dreams. If after, the Dreams are getting polluted. If before... well, I sure wouldn't want to be bathing in some of the things people dream up.

Oh, okay, so he isn't even getting the clean, recycled dreams. You're a braver penguin than I, Dedede. Oh, and I suppose, oh, no, the Star Rod has been stolen! How does it still work when it's been broken, anyways? Seriously, Engineers would kill for that.

Embark on an adventure again, you mean.

Oh, no! Not our naps! Wait... peaceful? You mean dreamless sleep isn't peaceful?

Is that Yeowch for Kirby or his foes?

...I'm pretty sure Kirby doesn't need a sword to be brave. He's been brave when he can't even physically wield a sword, after all.

Also, these power descriptions are getting less and less descriptive. "Take a nice walk for a short break."

"Back Drop." Well, I'm glad they changed it to 'Suplex' later. Suplex is just more of a fun word to say. Suplex. Suplex, suplex, suplex.

Oh, no! A mystery is afoot!

IS IT A SPRING, OR A FOUNTAIN? MAKE UP YOUR MIND! RECYCLING PLANT, OR FACTORY?

As an aside, the thing that surprises me most, is that Dedede has friends.

Heh. The knocked aside sword gets stuck in the game's logo. Cute touch.

Ooh, cool. Pew pew laser disc.

...how does a tree even use a star wand piece?

So, since I'm not a Kirby enemy master, instead, I'll be keeping track of how many times you get each power. To be clear, this will only be from enemies, and not from retrieving lost power stars. Cutscenes also don't count.

Beam: 1 (+1)
    Spark: 1 (+1)
    Fire: 1 (+1)
    UFO: 1 (+1)
    Cutter: 1 (+1)
    Crash: 1 (+1)
    Sword: 1 (+1)
    Burning: 2 (+2)
    Freeze: 1 (+1)
    Needle: 1 (+1)
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land (Dreams Missing! Cause: Rude Penguin)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    "Back Drop." Well, I'm glad they changed it to 'Suplex' later. Suplex is just more of a fun word to say. Suplex. Suplex, suplex, suplex.

As an aside, the thing that surprises me most, is that Dedede has friends.

So, since I'm not a Kirby enemy master, instead, I'll be keeping track of how many times you get each power. To be clear, this will only be from enemies, and not from retrieving lost power stars. Cutscenes also don't count.

Beam: 1 (+1)
    Spark: 1 (+1)
    Fire: 1 (+1)
    UFO: 1 (+1)
    Cutter: 1 (+1)
    Crash: 1 (+1)
    Sword: 1 (+1)
    Burning: 2 (+2)
    Freeze: 1 (+1)
    Needle: 1 (+1)
    I think the logic of the Fountain of Dreams is that it's basically a giant magic fountain that represents the literal idea of dreams, and with it's power source, the Star rod, removed and broken into pieces, it no longer functions. Also keep in mind we're debating the logistics of a magical relic in a place called DREAM land .

All I have to say about Back-drop vs Suplex is-

SUUUUUUPLEEEEEEEEEEX

cough

Anyway yeah Dedede has friends. He's just rude. His buddies are cool with him. I mean one of his friends is a tree that routinely gets beat up and cries about it, and from the first Kirby game his other friends include two small orbs who live in a castle pushing blocks, a demon cloud, and...a living warship that might just work for him.

This is actually going to be fascinating because I wanna see what power I like the most...it's gonna be suplex or burning probably.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I think the logic of the Fountain of Dreams is that it's basically a giant magic fountain that represents the literal idea of dreams, and with it's power source, the Star rod, removed and broken into pieces, it no longer functions. Also keep in mind we're debating the logistics of a magical relic in a place called DREAM land .
    But these things are important. And yeah, it seems a little conflicted on the exact purpose of the fountain. But I assume with time all questions will be answered by thorough and self consistent world building. Definitely.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    But these things are important. And yeah, it seems a little conflicted on the exact purpose of the fountain. But I assume with time all questions will be answered by thorough and self consistent world building. Definitely.
    I mean you're actually not wrong at all it just takes a bit.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Kirby is weirdly KINDA consistent. You can find events of previous games referenced in games further down the line (no idea if it's considered spoilers given it's Kirby). Also there are at least two series of games that do follow from each other. Granted nowadays it's much more a gimmick of the year/game thing. Since Kirby villain disposal method is whack them till they stop being annoying and/or cry, and his ambitions include sleeping and eating a piece of fruitcake there is almost always a return to status quo with the villain of the week just going elsewhere to take a nap or getting it's soul torn asunder after merging with nuclear star reactors and then being summoned from the gates of hell by hard mode -ex powers to yet again be returned to the nothingness of the void.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2017-04-03 at 02:21 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by AsteriskAmp View Post
    Kirby is weirdly KINDA consistent. You can find events of previous games referenced in games further down the line (no idea if it's considered spoilers given it's Kirby). Also there are at least two series of games that do follow from each other. Granted nowadays it's much more a gimmick of the year/game thing.
    The guy in charge of the series at the moment, who took over when Return to Dream Land came out, basically is writing high concept fan fiction with Kirby now that...actually REALLY WORKS? We'll get to that way later though.

Also yeah while I don't want to talk about it often because I DO think it's a genuine spoiler given how OUT OF NOWHERE it tends to come, let's not talk about the fact that Kirby takes place in the ****ing FAR REALM where most everything is an eldritch abomination.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2017-04-03 at 02:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Psssh. If we can't debate that, then the internet loses all meaning.

Anyway yeah Dedede has friends. He's just rude. His buddies are cool with him. I mean one of his friends is a tree that routinely gets beat up and cries about it, and from the first Kirby game his other friends include two small orbs who live in a castle pushing blocks, a demon cloud, and...a living warship that might just work for him.
    I suppose he is the only one of them who has both hands and a mouth. That's gotta have something to do with it, right?

This is actually going to be fascinating because I wanna see what power I like the most...it's gonna be suplex or burning probably.
    Totally going to end up being cutter.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2017-04-03 at 02:36 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I suppose he is the only one of them who has both hands and a mouth. That's gotta have something to do with it, right?
    Whispy has infinite amount of tendrils, an unlimited supply of food, telekinetic wood powers and a murderous intent bordering and including murder-suicide attempts. And he's not the only one, there are several other of his helpers that have those things. It might just be the fact that he's an adorable blue penguin who has a hammer.
    Totally going to end up being cutter.
    My vote is on light.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2017-04-03 at 02:58 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, this. Yeah, this was my first Kirby game, unless you count the copy of Dream Land 3 in the dentist's office. Memories...

Re: "plot": Yeah, a few of the games had some semblance of continuing/coherent plot. Specifically, Dream Land 2 and 3, and Kirby 64. And then they... sort of pick it up and run with it in the newer ones? It's odd, especially considering most of it comes from the entirely missable and ignorable descriptions that show up if you pause in a boss fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Ah, this. Yeah, this was my first Kirby game, unless you count the copy of Dream Land 3 in the dentist's office. Memories...

Re: "plot": Yeah, a few of the games had some semblance of continuing/coherent plot. Specifically, Dream Land 2 and 3, and Kirby 64. And then they... sort of pick it up and run with it in the newer ones? It's odd, especially considering most of it comes from the entirely missable and ignorable descriptions that show up if you pause in a boss fight.
    Squeak Squad and Robobot have continuity nods to Super Star. SS and PR are references to actual events and characters as much as a game with almost no dialogue can have.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2017-04-03 at 08:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Squeak Squad and Robobot have continuity nods to Super Star. SS and PR are references to actual events and characters as much as a game with almost no dialogue can have.
    Robobot, I should have listed, yes. I'd marked it under "the newer ones" but forgot to note that it referenced things other than the aformentioned three early games.

Where was it in SS, though? I don't recall. Generic Dark Thing, yes, but it didn't call back specifically to any prior villain... the mice are all new... pretty sure SS didn't have Stone providing cameos yet, did it?
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Robobot, I should have listed, yes. I'd marked it under "the newer ones" but forgot to note that it referenced things other than the aformentioned three early games.

Where was it in SS, though? I don't recall. Generic Dark Thing, yes, but it didn't call back specifically to any prior villain... the mice are all new... pretty sure SS didn't have Stone providing cameos yet, did it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Squeak Squad has the sunken Halberd from Super Star being repaired underwater were it crashed in said game
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2017-04-04 at 11:04 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Squeak Squad has the sunken Halberd from Super Star being repaired underwater were it crashed in said game
    ...Huh. Didn't catch that at all.

(Admittedly, I never played Super Star, and Ultra postdates Squeak Squad, and Squeak Squad was faint by the time I played Ultra)

EDIT: By the way, your spoiler tag is broken.

EDIT: Wait, why are you dressed up as Zodi?
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2017-04-04 at 10:33 AM.
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15

...Huh. Didn't catch that at all.

(Admittedly, I never played Super Star, and Ultra postdates Squeak Squad, and Squeak Squad was faint by the time I played Ultra)

EDIT: By the way, your spoiler tag is broken.

EDIT: Wait, why are you dressed up as Zodi?
    He's actually dressed up as Ribonis, his cute fairy OC thing, that is dressed up as Kirby, who has eaten me and gotten the Zodi power.

It's complicated.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

He's actually dressed up as Ribonis, his cute fairy OC thing, that is dressed up as Kirby, who has eaten me and gotten the Zodi power.

It's complicated.
    What's the Zodi Power? Awesomeness? Skill at games? Having to make LPs because the person the power is from just got eaten?

As an aside, I'm surprised the inside of Kirby gets such great internet service. How is it in there, Zodi?

17. - Top - End - #17

What's the Zodi Power? Awesomeness? Skill at games? Having to make LPs because the person the power is from just got eaten?

As an aside, I'm surprised the inside of Kirby gets such great internet service. How is it in there, Zodi?
    Honestly knowing me it's a "trip and fall on someone to hurt them" power.

Also I just replaced the...router, I think it is? So quite good.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, that's better than 'trip and fall on someone to hurt yourself' power. At least this one allows pseudo-rolling into walls to end episodes. Silver linings, right?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Also I just replaced the...router, I think it is? So quite good.
    That'd be DeDeDe dash attack though.

20. - Top - End - #20

I mean that's a good point.

Actually let's workshop this. What kinda power would eating me get you? Also this is a weird question to ask I realize.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, so you took Kirby's powers, who took Zodi's powers, who took Dedede's powers... I see, it is complicated.

This still makes more sense than the Fountain.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, so you took Kirby's powers, who took Zodi's powers, who took Dedede's powers... I see, it is complicated.

This still makes more sense than the Fountain.
    I cosplayed as a kirby taking zodi's power (probably sleep or lack thereoff) who has DeDeDe dash attack.

The fountain makes more sense than several of the areas... just look at the level titles and take into account they actually mean them and are not allegorical names.

The planet is called pop-star and has the shape of a cartoon star on top of a VERY WEIRD ring system. And the planet system orbits around nothing at best and a black hole kinda at worse.

I can deal with liquid dreams coming from fountain powered by a rod.

Actually let's workshop this. What kinda power would eating me get you? Also this is a weird question to ask I realize.
    A get-up-early-and-snow-shovel kirby.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2017-04-04 at 02:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Resistance to frost, invisible eyes, a constant cocky smirk, being good at vidya games, Determination from Undertale, mastery of disguise?
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Snow Shovel, maybe? I feel like that would fit better in 64 with the blending, though... Ice/Cutter? Ice/Stone? Except those exist in that game, and aren't that.

Ice/Hammer, yeah, that'd do it.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2017-04-04 at 05:57 PM.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

The fountain makes more sense than several of the areas... just look at the level titles and take into account they actually mean them and are not allegorical names.

The planet is called pop-star and has the shape of a cartoon star on top of a VERY WEIRD ring system. And the planet system orbits around nothing at best and a black hole kinda at worse.

I can deal with liquid dreams coming from fountain powered by a rod.
    I mean, yes... but still... Liquid Dreams.

I wonder what would happen if you drank any?

A get-up-early-and-snow-shovel kirby.
    Spoiler: Like So?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yay, Nightmare in Dreamland! Overtime has been killing me these last few weeks, hence my absence, but I did just finally get caught up with Gunslinger (which I may eventually post about in the old thread) but this isn't the place for that, because right now... KIRBY!

So this is actually really interesting to me. Because when it was first mentioned this game was coming up, I actually called it Nightmare in Dreamland, and someone (I think Zodi) corrected me that it was originally Kirby's Adventure. I played this game on the NES. A lot. I don't joke when I say it was my favorite NES game as a small child, and I beat it many times over. Yet, for some reason, in my mind I knew it intuitively as Nightmare in Dreamland, and didn't even realize it had a different name. And now watching this video... I realize I literally never played the GBA adaptation. Because everything I see is just slightly off to me. The brighter colors, bolder designs, funny hats, improved animations.... it's like an entirely different game from the one I know. Even the minigames are different! If there's no quick draw game here I will have all the sads. But anyway I'm getting off topic. Point is, I played the NES version a lot. As far as I can recall I never even touched the GBA version. So how on earth did I get the name mixed up in my head? I wish I had an answer!

Anyway, on the video itself, it's a fun game to watch. It's a fun mix of old nostalgia and "holy crap spikes looks awesome in this version!". I'm looking forward to seeing how some of the later level and boss designs look different from the original. Particularly the endgame... but we're still a few weeks away from that.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

27. - Top - End - #27

Glad you're enjoying the nostalgia trip Seerow.

Also oh god I just realized the last few videos, and the next few videos, are gonna be lacking Phantom Fox in the credits for being a good and great patron of my Patreon. I'm sorry Phantom Fox!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course you can't see me, I'm a phantom! :D Heh, if this were my own series I'd hide a ghost fox in each video to find.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Of course you can't see me, I'm a phantom! :D Heh, if this were my own series I'd hide a ghost fox in each video to find.
    Once I post today's A Taste of (because there is one today it's just processing) you'll be revealed as the true person you are! A wonderful and nice fox who gives me money in support of the insanity I'm doing with my life.

30. - Top - End - #30

As promised, because I forgot today was thursday to be quite honest, a new A Taste Of.

A Taste Of: Prince of Persia (2008)

Video Length: 21:58

The reboot of the semi popular series that started as a cinematic platformer and became a parkour beat em up with time based rewind-y powers returns, as...a kind of not great combination of both but without any of the time powers that made people like the actual good Prince of Persia games? This game is super weird in how it presents itself and it's clunky as all hell to actually play.