New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default FFTA-Style Clan Wars - Any RPGS That Do This

Basically, I'm wondering what RPGs give players simultaneous control of multiple characters frequently. I'm not talking about DnD summoners or things, but where for the entire game, each player has a small set of characters they control, or there's a database of characters the group draws on, with each player using more than one at a time. I loved managing a clan in the Tactics Advance games, and I'm curious how many tabletop games have done something with it.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: FFTA-Style Clan Wars - Any RPGS That Do This

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I suppose you could look into some of the more skirmish tabletop games from Games Workshop.

I'm thinking in particular of Mordheim, Necromunda and Inquisitor, all three of which are games that have you control gangs/warbands of at most 10 models. They're not really rpgs, with Inquisitor coming the closest, but do provide rules on setting up campaigns that let your gang/warband gain experience, gear, injuries as well as lose/gain members depending on tabletop performance. They're also PvP games, not PvE, though I suppose you could adapt them into one.

Lastly, none of them are still supported by Games Workshop, but there's still community support for them.
    Last edited by Professor Chimp; 2017-04-04 at 07:16 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

If I remember correctly, Only War (the 40k rpg for the Imperial Guard) has something like this for some characters via Comrades, though I think they rather blur the line with player-controlled mooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If you're good with it being more one central character plus various (permanent) support characters, Savage Worlds fits this - particularly if you only need it in combat, FFTA style.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.