New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default What is happening to D&D?

I have a few questions that I just can't seem to figure out and I am hoping some one can help me out. First off why are they (WOTC) is canceling the Dragon magazine? I know that they are going to an on-line version and I am sure that it will be the greatest thing since the D12 (grin) but I have talked to a lot of people and the Dragon is what brings people in to the hobby (or book) stores and they browse the books to see what's new. Also I heard that (WOTC) at first wasn't going to renew the Dragonlance license. I am not sure what WOTC is doing here, but it just doesn't seem smart to me. I was going to rant for awhile longer but I think I would just like some answers to put my mind at ease.
    "This is who we are..."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What is happening to D&D?

First: a format switch may be a good idea. Print isn't a viable medium anymore: it costs too much.

Second: Dragonlance's license to the company that currently has it isn't being renewed, which means that WotC will be regaining the rights to the franchise--and will probably be putting something out there themselves.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    First: a format switch may be a good idea. Print isn't a viable medium anymore: it costs too much.
    Irrelevant. WotC wasn't facing the non-profitability of the magazine; Paizo Publishing was. In fact, WotC was making money for nothing, by selling a license to Paizo. And I didn't hear Paizo complaining about the cost of the magazine.

The only reason to do this is because WotC believes that they can make more money by putting out their own on-line version of the magazine. For me, personally, this decision has prompted me to abandon D&D; I shan't be purchasing any more WotC products.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

...WotC is a company, and companies have to make money. I'd rather them make more money and continue making the products I enjoy rather than not making money and folding.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Irrelevant. WotC wasn't facing the non-profitability of the magazine; Paizo Publishing was. In fact, WotC was making money for nothing, by selling a license to Paizo. And I didn't hear Paizo complaining about the cost of the magazine.

The only reason to do this is because WotC believes that they can make more money by putting out their own on-line version of the magazine. For me, personally, this decision has prompted me to abandon D&D; I shan't be purchasing any more WotC products.
    ...Overreaction, much? It's just a magazine.

And, as said before, magazines aren't a very good medium anymore. I'd estimate that most magazines will have been replaced by pay-sites in the next ten years.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #6

i like the idea of a book to read more than a website as you can go anywere (within reason) to read it but being stuck at a screen makes it less enjoyable.

But then again haveing it on screen is better as i tend to collect things and not throw anythin away hehe
    http://s9.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=97391

On No Accounts Must the Above Link Be Clicked!

Best Avatar by Sampi!

7. - Top - End - #7

Dragon was the only good thing from D&D I'd seen in several years, actually. WotC doesn't make good products - they make unbalanced products - and there's no metaplot in the game to follow to convince me to buy them anyway.

It's not overreaction; I far prefer printed materials in my hand, and absolutely despise the internetification of media. I don't like going to a website to read my news. I don't want a web-version of gaming articles. I don't think they're in any way superior - in many ways they're inferior.

The web is a good place for groups of people to share their opinions. It is not a good place for reading the detailed articles, descriptions, or charts that make up a publication, especially a gaming publication.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrazedGoblin View Post
    i like the idea of a book to read more than a website as you can go anywere (within reason) to read it but being stuck at a screen makes it less enjoyable.

But then again haveing it on screen is better as i tend to collect things and not throw anythin away hehe
    Will you still be saying that when you get your hands on a portable PDF reader?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know about CrazedGoblin, but I'll be reading books even when everyone else uses things like this. I'm not a technophobe normally, but when it comes to books, I am.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-07-28 at 02:07 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I love having books too, but there's a certain organization and utility to having everything in one place in a digital format.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goddamit, I want one of those now. I ahve loads of long book I've downloaded from wikiSource and other places, but I jsut can't read long documents comfortably off a PC screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Chumleigh View Post
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    You just earned seventeen cool points by my reckoning. And I'm so sigging that.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy crap, they're still making those? I thought they died the death of the Quadraphonic 5 or 6 years ago.

Personally I'm more worried about the gaming industry as a whole. While I see the shift to electronic media as a necessary evil, I wonder if it's not prolonging the inevitable. Without hard copy there's no gaming store. Without a gaming store how do you find out about new games that don't suck. Personally I'm much more likely to trust the guy working at the store that knows me and my tastes much more than I am to trust a search engine that brings up items based on how much the items in question have paid them to be presented. Without the store how are you going to find your local fellow dorks?

Yes, the .pdf's have allowed niche games to remain in existence, but given that this is a niche hobby in and of itself, without hard copy the entire "social" portion of the gaming community is going to have to be quickly restructured before the gaming industry collapses completely.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

13. - Top - End - #13

tempting... but i don't know books have a certain charm about them
    http://s9.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=97391

On No Accounts Must the Above Link Be Clicked!

Best Avatar by Sampi!

14. - Top - End - #14

If it wasnt 300 bucks I would so get one,
    Custom Avatar By: "The Chilli God"
    My Games:
    None Current

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If you're really specific to PDFs, you're making a poor argument. I saw one of these last night. They've got good contrast and battery life thanks to the charged black/white ball technology used. But they're small and can't zoom. Since PDFs are designed for printed sheets (usually 8.5" x 11"), and (unlike HTML) can't resize the text independent of the graphics, the Reader makes you squint even if you flip the page 90 degrees to read the top or bottom portion; the text is still uncomfortably small.

For non-PDF books the Reader is OK, with limitations. You can't search. My friend has the complete Honor Harrington book series on his Reader, and can't use it to search for a name when he forgets who one of the cast of thousands (OK, maybe only several hundreds) of characters is.

The Reader is just that. It's not designed for graphics, and especially not for PDFs. It sucks with manuals because you'll have to manually flip to the table of contents or index, then page to the indicated spot and search using just your eyes. For D&D content and the Reader my answer is a resounding: No!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Dragon was the only good thing from D&D I'd seen in several years, actually. WotC doesn't make good products - they make unbalanced products - and there's no metaplot in the game to follow to convince me to buy them anyway.

It's not overreaction; I far prefer printed materials in my hand, and absolutely despise the internetification of media. I don't like going to a website to read my news. I don't want a web-version of gaming articles. I don't think they're in any way superior - in many ways they're inferior.

The web is a good place for groups of people to share their opinions. It is not a good place for reading the detailed articles, descriptions, or charts that make up a publication, especially a gaming publication.
    Oh well. Have fun living in the twentieth century! I'll go over to the twenty-first, thanks.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrazedGoblin View Post
    From the producer's standpoint, electronic magazines are great because the marginal cost of each new magazine is practically zero. All they have to do is post the content and keep a server running (which they're probably doing anyway). Even though people might not pay as much for the electronic magazine as they would for the paper (and keep in mind that for some people it's the other way around), they still do well.

It's not wrong to use electronic magazines in my opinion. My one concern is that the back issues don't get lost in the shuffle, because they represent many years of good ideas for D&D.

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    I don't know about CrazedGoblin, but I'll be reading books even when everyone else uses things like this. I'm not a technophobe normally, but when it comes to books, I am.
    I've got about half again as many books as I have good places to put them, and I suspect that this will remain true for the rest of my life.

But I still buy science fiction novels from Baen Books' Webscription site. It makes it easy to get my hands on old editions, it's cheaper than buying a new paperback in a lot of cases, and it doesn't take up physical space- the novels I've bought as e-books would take up something like two feet of shelf space that I don't have to begin with.

So I'm not going to get all huffy and resentful if somebody decides to publish their magazine as an electronic document. I like paper, but I don't make a fetish out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by horseboy View Post
    Personally I'm more worried about the gaming industry as a whole. While I see the shift to electronic media as a necessary evil, I wonder if it's not prolonging the inevitable. Without hard copy there's no gaming store. Without a gaming store how do you find out about new games that don't suck.
    In the online forums, like this one.

If you were to start a thread asking for games that fit some defined criteria, you'd get a volley of replies naming games. And some of them would be good games. Admittedly they wouldn't all be good from your point of view, but you don't have that guarantee even at a gaming store.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    For non-PDF books the Reader is OK, with limitations. You can't search. My friend has the complete Honor Harrington book series on his Reader, and can't use it to search for a name when he forgets who one of the cast of thousands (OK, maybe only several hundreds) of characters is.
    I can think of books for which the lack of search would be much more annoying than in the Honor Harrington series, too. While there may technically be hundreds of characters in the series by now, most of them are bit players who appeared in one and only one novel. Of persistent characters, you have... well, maybe a few dozen; of important persistent characters, probably a dozen or so tops. And most of them have a well-defined relationship to the lead heroine, which you can use as a memory aid.

Imagine trying to do that with the Wheel of Time series.

On second thought, don't. It's far too frightening.
    Last edited by Dervag; 2007-07-28 at 04:13 PM.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The majority of magazine reading goes on in waiting rooms in doctor/dentist/psychiatrist offices, and hospitals, and airport terminals. And I don't know about you, but my doctor/dentist/psychiatrist aren't cool enough to stock magazines like Dragon or EGM. However, 100% of the people on this board have internet access of some kind or another. So really, electronic was the way for WotC to go.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Oh well. Have fun living in the twentieth century! I'll go over to the twenty-first, thanks.
    *pffft* The 20th was better. We landed on the Moon, had a commercial aircraft that flew twice the speed of sound, and had Salvadore Dali and art deco back then. We also had Andy Warhol to mock, the Beatles to listen to, and vermin like the Nazis to boo and hiss. The 21st century has been less than impressive so far.

As for the thread topic, I'd say that - IMO as always - D&D3.5 has about reached saturation. I mean, how much further can they take the D&D core mechanics system as it stands without stripping it back to the basics and turning it into the more elegant and balanced d20/Iron Heroes/point-buy quasi-hybrid that D&D3.6 will probably be?

I may be the equivalent of the guy at the US Patent Office who said "everything's been invented" in 1900; but what more can you meaningfully do with 3rd Ed that isn't just shuffling the furniture?

As for Dungeon and Dragon going vapourware etherware, name me a games mag that hasn't gone belly up. It's a shame, but it's a reality we have to live with.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2007-07-28 at 04:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Progress for the sake of progress is not only non-profitable, it is foolish and often destructive. Whenever I hear someone say "have fun living in <some past time period>", or something similar, I just have to shake my head; what justification - other than pure profit-based capitalism - can be given for loving something new just because it's new?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Points at the slew of threads dedicated to the newest published class, or the latest supplement...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Progress for the sake of progress is not only non-profitable, it is foolish and often destructive. Whenever I hear someone say "have fun living in <some past time period>", or something similar, I just have to shake my head; what justification - other than pure profit-based capitalism - can be given for loving something new just because it's new?
    Because, without progress, you are stagnant and might as well be dead.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Bah! I prefer many 'old' things to modern things, it doesn't mean they are stagnant or lacking the ability to progress.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

24. - Top - End - #24

Because, without progress, you are stagnant and might as well be dead.
    That's entirely beside the point. I never said progress was bad. I said progress for the sake of progress is bad. Making - and buying - something new just because it is new is bad. And, in this particular case, supporting electronic print is bad, because the benefits - lower cost, perceived higher circulation - don't outweigh the drawbacks - less portability, eye-strain, decreased quality, highly restricted distribution (meaning you're no longer able to share your magazine or book with friends). Plus you don't get that sense of intellectualism from a collection of e-books that you get from a fully-stocked library.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Bah! I prefer many 'old' things to modern things, it doesn't mean they are stagnant or lacking the ability to progress.
    There's nothing wrong with old things, merely that without progress, we'd still be using stone tools. In some cases, the old things are better--books are one of those cases. However, in today's screen-dependent media-driven society, the printed word isn't as powerful as it once was: it is shadowed by the light-emitted word.

WotC is merely keeping with the times, nothing else.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-07-28 at 05:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I don't need a library of books to stroke my ego, though.

Are you seriously suggesting that you're afraid people won't think you're smart if you don't own a wall covered in ink-stained dead tree?
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2007-07-28 at 05:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

There's nothing wrong with old things, merely that without progress, we'd still be using stone tools. In some cases, the old things are better--books are one of those cases. However, in today's screen-dependent media-driven society, the printed word isn't as powerful as it once was: it is shadowed by the light-emitted word.

WotC is merely keeping with the times, nothing else.
    Sure, and I agree with the general idea, but applying it to everything is an over generalisation. Of course, much of that depends on the definition of the word progress in the context of paper magazines going digital. Personally, I am not particularly opposed to it, but I don't really see it as progress as much as reorganisation for practicality and profitability.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

28. - Top - End - #28

Are you seriously suggesting that you're afraid people won't think you're smart if you don't own a wall covered in ink-stained dead tree?
    What do you think "intellectualism" means? It has nothing whatsoever to do with ego.

Having a 'wall covered in ink-stained dead tree' gives me a sense of focus and comfort, knowing all that knowledge is there and readily available. This cannot be achieved with electronic versions, which are subject to a wide array of electronic vagrancies, many of which I personally have no control over. I can protect my books from the wind, rain and heat; I cannot (reliably) protect my computer from internet outages, electrical outages or viral invasions. Perhaps it is because I am an IT professional and not a librarian, but for me there are simply far too many unacceptable risks entailed in keeping any store of knowledge electronically rather than physically.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Sure, and I agree with the general idea, but applying it to everything is an over generalisation. Of course, much of that depends on the definition of the word progress in the context of paper magazines going digital. Personally, I am not particularly opposed to it, but I don't really see it as progress as much as reorganisation for practicality and profitability.
    ...which is the purpose of a company. That's what they do: make money (I almost typed "make monkey" but that's an entirely different area of research). And if they don't, they die. it's a survival thing, to be constantly being "new and improved." Otherwise the competition comes in and takes over, because they are new and improved.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I really love printed media, I was raised surrounded by books. My entire family is full of avid readers. That said, if not for the online content I wouldn't even be playing D&D. If D&D is a niche hobby in the West, it is even more so here in Southeast Asia. Very few of the books are available here, and not even large bookstores carry them--only specialty hobby/gaming stores do. Furthermore, their selection is kinda dated.

I would rather read a book in bed than read a computer screen, but I would rather have my laptop with all my references than lug around a whole bunch of books. (I don't have a car and I play D&D at school, so virtual paper helps a lot).
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2007-07-28 at 05:37 PM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay