New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Transformers D20 Game

Is there a Transformers D20 game?
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-04-11 at 12:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Transformers D20 Game

D20 Future has rules for Mecha. Those might be useful if there isn't a D20 Transformers.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

There is Mechamorphosis by Fantasy Flight Games. I found it enjoyable.

As for its own fluff, it is pretty much classic Transformers with the serial numbers filed off.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Mutants and Masterminds is d20, and always works well for high-action games where characters have divurgant powers and abilities.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

If you are willing to go outside d20 Mekton (I use Mekton Zeta) is good. Otherwise I recommend either d20 Future if you are familiar or Mutants and Masterminds for its flexibility and being relatively rules light.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    If you are willing to go outside d20 Mekton (I use Mekton Zeta) is good. Otherwise I recommend either d20 Future if you are familiar or Mutants and Masterminds for its flexibility and being relatively rules light.
    I would not call M&M rules-light. It's probably easier than 3.5 or a White Wolf game, but there's a respectable amount of crunch and a learning curve to figuring out how to build powers.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I would not call M&M rules-light. It's probably easier than 3.5 or a White Wolf game, but there's a respectable amount of crunch and a learning curve to figuring out how to build powers.
    Fair enough. I am probably warped because I mostly run DnD 3.5 and White Wolf, so M&M might as well be freeform in comparison.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Is there a Transformers D20 game?
    You can play a Transformer by applying the Divine Minion template and any of the various "Body" feats (Adamantine Body, Mithral Body, Wooden Body, etc.) to a warforged character. Disclaimer: because of the requirements of Divine Minion, you're also required to pick a flaw and the Otherworldly feat.

If you apply all the above to both the playing​ characters and the main antagonists, it's possible to run a Transformer D20 game within 3.5e.
    Last edited by Uncle Pine; 2017-04-11 at 07:06 PM.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Pine View Post
    You can play a Transformer by applying the Divine Minion template and any of the various "Body" feats (Adamantine Body, Mithral Body, Wooden Body, etc.) to a warforged character. Disclaimer: because of the requirements of Divine Minion, you're also required to pick a flaw and the Otherworldly feat.

If you apply all the above to both the playing​ characters and the main antagonists, it's possible to run a Transformer D20 game within 3.5e.
    Does that included their alt. form?

10. - Top - End - #10

Per the Magic of Eberron book, warforged keep their plating in all forms via wildshape (which the divine minion template makes use of those rules).

It should also be noted that the Otherworldly feat is a Faerun regional feat that has a region/race requirement for Deep Imaskari, Evermeet elves, and spirit folk.

But if you are going to be running or playing in a game where the divine minion template is going to be used in this manner, the feat's prerequisites could probably be waived.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Does that included their alt. form?
    Your alternate forms would include adamantine/mithral/wooden hawkbots, crocobots, constrictor snakebots, lionbots and so on instead of cars and trucks, but they are there. You can switch forms at-will, as a free action.
    By RAW, you also heal whenever you change form, but that should probably be handwaved by the DM in one way or another.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Your alternate forms would include adamantine/mithral/wooden hawkbots, crocobots, constrictor snakebots, lionbots and so on instead of cars and trucks, but they are there. You can switch forms at-will, as a free action.
    By RAW, you also heal whenever you change form, but that should probably be handwaved by the DM in one way or another.
    Wow! But don't you mean repair?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow! But don't you mean repair?
    I actually meant healing, because:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Wild Shape (Su)
    At 5th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type. This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here. The effect lasts for 1 hour per druid level, or until she changes back. Changing form (to animal or back) is a standard action and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. Each time you use wild shape, you regain lost hit points as if you had rested for a night.
    However, I just remembered while reading your comment that warforged do not in fact regain hit point naturally, so changing form hundreds of times as a free action each round does not in fact heal them. In other words, you don't need to rule out the infinite healing loophole, because it doesn't work if the divine minion trying to abuse it is a warforged.
    For the full list of alternate forms (and the template itself), see here. I could swear I had seen a deity with hippos as possible alternate form for his divine minions, but I can't seem to find that on the list.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I actually meant healing, because:

For the full list of alternate forms (and the template itself), see here. I could swear I had seen a deity with hippos as possible alternate form for his divine minions, but I can't seem to find that on the list.
    I think the hippo deity is in Sandstorm. Along with the feat that lets you rebuke hippos.

Edit: Tem-Et-Nu is the name of the goddess. Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu is the feat in question.
    Last edited by ColorBlindNinja; 2017-04-12 at 04:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

That's still great that a Transformer can actually heal.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ColorBlindNinja View Post
    I think the hippo deity is in Sandstorm. Along with the feat that lets you rebuke hippos.

Edit: Tem-Et-Nu is the name of the goddess. Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu is the feat in question.
    Thank you for the source. Too bad the feat doesn't let you turn into a hippo.

That's still great that a Transformer can actually heal.
    Warforged in general can heal mostly fine. Have one of them be a Crusader or a Cleric worshipping your Crystal Dragon Mecha Jesus of choice and you won't even have to roll a single Craft check!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dysprosium View Post
    It should also be noted that the Otherworldly feat is a Faerun regional feat that has a region/race requirement for Deep Imaskari, Evermeet elves, and spirit folk.
    I have a few thoughts Id like to toss onto the pile.

I thought 2 ranks of Kn. Local got around this.

Dont warlocks have a spidershape invocation? If such a form is prefered.

Also,we need to puzzle out the next two steps. what classes best fit, and, autobot or decptacon?

Is their rules for divine minions from gods not in the article? If so, divine minion of Gond to wildshape into a toaster!
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Thank you for the source. Too bad the feat doesn't let you turn into a hippo.
    No, but obtaining a hippo army is the next best thing!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    I thought 2 ranks of Kn. Local got around this.
    In 3.0 it did. With the 3.5 update you have to actually be from the region to choose the regional feats. Rather inconvenient for all the Battle Jumpers out there unless they've got a very convincing backstory about how their level 1 character survived, to say nothing of being accepted by, a race of bloodthirsty apes that would as soon beat them, or eat them, as talk to them.

Sadly, it also kills the Otherworldly Warforged idea unless the DM either handwaves the regional requirement or counts Warforged in the Forgotten Realms as outsiders.

I think M&M, being designed as a supers/comic book style system, would probably be the best fit.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
    In 3.0 it did. With the 3.5 update you have to actually be from the region to choose the regional feats. Rather inconvenient for all the Battle Jumpers out there unless they've got a very convincing backstory about how their level 1 character survived, to say nothing of being accepted by, a race of bloodthirsty apes that would as soon beat them, or eat them, as talk to them.

Sadly, it also kills the Otherworldly Warforged idea unless the DM either handwaves the regional requirement or counts Warforged in the Forgotten Realms as outsiders.
    Yes, according to PGtF you can now just choose one region and pick a regional feat from that region, which is what you do with Otherworldly if you're a warforged. Works pretty straightforwardly by RAW and in many tables I played in.
    If your DM rules that you need to physically come from that region instead of just being raised as someone from that region (a possibly common occurrence if you think about other regional feats) you are an outsider: just say that you're from Faerun and now you live somewhere else, Ravenloft style.

21. - Top - End - #21

Yes, according to PGtF you can now just choose one region and pick a regional feat from that region, which is what you do with Otherworldly if you're a warforged. Works pretty straightforwardly by RAW and in many tables I played in.
    It does work by RAW if you ignore the race requirement. That regional feat has a prerequisite for Deep Imaskari, Evermeet elves, and spirit folk, none of which are warforged.

But like I has posted previously,
    But if you are going to be running or playing in a game where the divine minion template is going to be used in this manner, the feat's prerequisites could probably be waived.
    The divine minion template also locks you into serving a Mulharondi deity which may or may not go with the flavor the OP was looking for and one (or more) specific animal form (depending upon the deity).

I have never played M&M before so I cannot say how good that system is. I have heard good things about it though and you could easily create a transformer type character. I am sure that it can be translated into a 3.5 game with a little work.

The Mechamorphosis book I had mentioned before also can be worked into a 3.5 game with little work.

So OP, is this for a transformer like character in a 3.5 game or were you looking for a straight Transformers game?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dysprosium View Post
    It does work by RAW if you ignore the race requirement. That regional feat has a prerequisite for Deep Imaskari, Evermeet elves, and spirit folk, none of which are warforged.

But like I has posted previously,

The divine minion template also locks you into serving a Mulharondi deity which may or may not go with the flavor the OP was looking for and one (or more) specific animal form (depending upon the deity).

I have never played M&M before so I cannot say how good that system is. I have heard good things about it though and you could easily create a transformer type character. I am sure that it can be translated into a 3.5 game with a little work.

The Mechamorphosis book I had mentioned before also can be worked into a 3.5 game with little work.

So OP, is this for a transformer like character in a 3.5 game or were you looking for a straight Transformers game?
    The first one. In a 3.5 game.