Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Chortan's Guild OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Is it my imagination, or has M. Arillius not posted since this?
    I noticed the same. I had hoped that someone so concerned with post rate (definitely not a bad thing) would have been helping to keep the game moving by posting frequently.

At this point I imagine something has happened IRL since they haven't posted anywhere since then.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Correct me if I am wrong but he was also kind enough to do the many charts we used in the recruiting page. Hopefully he will be back, I'd be sad to lose some one who did so much work.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by redfeline View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but he was also kind enough to do the many charts we used in the recruiting page. Hopefully he will be back, I'd be sad to lose some one who did so much work.
    Oh absolutely. A quick poster with an interesting character and a drive to get things done, seemingly. Hence my concern that IRL happened.

I'd hate to lose any player this early, especially with this smaller group.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

He mentioned that he was unemployed at one point during recruitment... perhaps he is suddenly flooded with work?

If a group collapses, we can merge the two or recruit more members.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2017-04-18 at 07:42 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

He mentioned that he was unemployed at one point during recruitment... perhaps he is suddenly flooded with work?

If a group collapses, we can merge the two or recruit more members.
    Well, that would be good news, at least.

And that's true. I'm not too worried about the group collapsing, though. Just unfortunate if we were to lose someone this early.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Hoya is effectively ready.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

And a 1 on my first in game roll, lets hope it isn't setting the norm.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Currently using a light purple font to remove confusion of two characters using pink.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Colossus in the Playground

redfeline your character is opening the door to the inn?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like it's opened, yes. I expect that if nobody posts actions that seem contrary, I'll assume everyone's walking through the door at my next regular IC post.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

DM: Menja purposefully stepped outside to cast her spell to avoid those inside being aware it was happening. Were the odd looks from people on the street?

Also, I am also interested in the anxieties of the people who aren't guards and are likely the survivors. Did they all make their saves?

12. - Top - End - #42

What would the knowledge check be, to know of a fine wine common to the region?

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBarca View Post
    DM: Menja purposefully stepped outside to cast her spell to avoid those inside being aware it was happening. Were the odd looks from people on the street?
    No. Those are people in the room. They didn't see you casting the spell, but consider:
    1. With a large cone in a packed room (seriously, we've established that there's at least 56 people there, and you were deliberately getting a large group), there will be a few people making their saves (even if only via the statistical likelihood of a nat-20).
    2. "A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creatureís saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell, you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells." (copy paste from here). This alerts any who make their save that something is up (though not necessarily what - but there is a DC for that in Knoweldge(Arcana) (Spellcraft in 3.5))
    3. Concentrating on a spell requires a standard action (and if you get injured while concentrating on a spell, you need to make a concentration check to keep the spell - maintaining such things is not trivial). This will give at least some indications if the target can see you and knows what to look for.

So yes, you got spotted by a member of the crowd, despite them not seeing you cast. I'm not currently planning on doing anything with it, beyond letting you know that it's probably a bad idea in general to drop area spells on crowds, even if you can hide that you're casting and there's no detrimental effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarca View Post
    Also, I am also interested in the anxieties of the people who aren't guards and are likely the survivors. Did they all make their saves?
    Nah. You just mentioned focusing on the guards, so that's what I focused on. Survivors are worried about "will it come back?" and "Is the local baron going to dispose of the witnesses?" Locals that just happen to be there are worried about "If they do dispose of the witnesses... they also can't let anyone see it happen, can they?"

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    What would the knowledge check be, to know of a fine wine common to the region?
    I'll accept:
    Local (because specific to the current area)
    Geography (it's info about a geographic region)
    Nobility and Royalty (because they're very often wine connoisseurs - seriously: it's a survival trait for the nobility)
    Pick one.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2017-04-28 at 05:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Rolling knowledge nobility.

(1d20+29)[39]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Explanation]
    Great, thanks. I was mostly just asking for clarification and to make sure there hadn't been any miscommunication.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Rolling knowledge nobility.

[roll0]
    One of the local lords, Arlington, makes large quantities of a heady wine, which he regularly gifts to all his neighbors. That particular lord never sells any, but a lot of it ends up on local markets anyway. Many of those he gifts it to sell it to the local taverns, or traveling merchants.

17. - Top - End - #47

One of the local lords, Arlington, makes large quantities of a heady wine, which he regularly gifts to all his neighbors. That particular lord never sells any, but a lot of it ends up on local markets anyway. Many of those he gifts it to sell it to the local taverns, or traveling merchants.
    Does Heather know the brew by name?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Does Heather know the brew by name?
    He calls it Assassin Wine. That's also why most of the local nobles just quietly sell it off, although they usually put a label on it (the maker uses plain glass bottles).

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Okay so, apparently the OOC has been busy since I last checked. Sorry this last week for standardized testing and progress reports so I've rushed my posts, I didn't mean to ignore any ones questions.

I opened the door to kind of keep the thread moving.

Hoya actually don't plan to do much talking but I wanted more to my post than, "I walk into a room."

Edit:

Along those lines don't wait for me to post while the conversation is going. I will interject if Hoya would say anything.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2017-04-29 at 10:24 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

still wondering why in the endless plains of the abyss someone would choose to name their wine assassin wine.
    Knowledge(Nature) to get the answer to that question.

21. - Top - End - #51

If that's the case, I'm guessing it's fermented assassin vine.

Knowledge nature (1d20+29)[31]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

If that's the case, I'm guessing it's fermented assassin vine.

Knowledge nature [roll0]
    Just the berries, but yes. Nobody is quite sure how he did it, but several generations ago (unclear exactly how many, the reveal was only about a hundred years ago, when the vines ate a small invasion force from one of their neighbors), one of the local lords bonded an assassin vine to his family line. The bond has held secure through all of that vine's descendants, as well as that lord's descendants (but it does not work with any other combination - a "foreign" assassin vine is just as deadly to his descendants as it is to everyone else). The vines don't go wandering away from the well marked and very extensive manor grounds, and the vines never hurt his descendants... but anyone not accompanied by a calm member of the family is in fairly serious trouble (about seventy years ago, some bandits found out the hard way that a dead family member doesn't work, and about fifty years ago, an would-be assassin found out that a family member held at knife point also doesn't work - the hostage was OK after he got some attention for the knife wound, but the would-be assassin was mulch).

Since the vines ate the invasion force, the family has made gifts of the wine to all their neighbors, and quite regularly. The amount given away grows every year. Their neighbors appreciate the income... but not the wine. It's good wine, though.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Planning my character advancement... we've got two characters in the party who theoretically need to sleep (Menja and Hoya), so I was figuring on grabbing Fairy Ring Retreat for the 7th level druid spell slot. On the Oracle side, I get 6th, 5th, and 4th level spells known... I was figuring on Create Undead for fluff reasons, plus Breath of Life (also fluff! but handy in a party with living creatures), and maybe Sending (always good to be able to communicate).

Any particular requests or suggestions for things to get? Keep in mind, I can also shuffle around the Druid spells as needed on a daily basis, and have the option of shifting one of the Shadow/Darkness spells from the "Dark Secrets" Revelation (denoted by '(R)' on the spell name on my character sheet).

Also:
    A check to make sure I have this right:
    The Skeleton Template specifies "it's possible to have a bloody burning skeletal champion" and "Both of these variant skeletons can be created using animate dead, but they count as twice their normal number of Hit Dice per casting" when referencing Bloody Skeletons and Burning Skeletons.
    The Create Undead spell permits skeletal champions, with a caveat: "You must have a caster level greater than the HD of the undead to be created." and it also adds an additional spell requirement of Enervation or Energy Drain.
    Does this mean a Bloody Skeletal Champion could be created via Create Undead, where a caster level of 13 could get a six HD Skeletal champion (which, in turn, means a 4th level or lower base creature - 4 class hit dice, 2 undead hit dice, then doubled makes 12 - while 5 class hit dice, 2 undead hit dice, then doubled, makes 14)?

Why this is relevant:
    If it were the same person (no alignment shift and such), a Bloody Skeletal Champion would be quite close to what Darshee wants to be able to produce (doesn't stop due to old age, requires fairly specific things to permanently kill). The templates set alignment to "any evil", so it doesn't actually suit her purposes. But someone experimenting is going to go down a lot of false trails prior to finding the right one. After running across this, she'd want to do an experiment, that would run something like this:
    1) Find a suitable subject, worried about death by old age, who'd be willing to participate (ideally, someone with just a single level in just one class). Take subject into a closed room.
    2) Have said subject interviewed by a small panel. This serves a few purposes:
    a) Makes sure the person understands what's involved, and that they are willing to try it of their own free will - no magical coercion
    b) Gives the panel a good idea of the person for comparison later.
    3) Kill the subject.
    4) Animate the subject as a bloody Skeletal Champion.
    5) Have the subject interviewed again by the same panel, to determine if what came out of step 4 is the same person as noted in step 2.
    6) Pick one based on results:
    a) If it is the same person, done. Set the subject loose to enjoy immortality... and probably make them a new low-ranked guild member, because... well, where's the subject going to fit in prior to picking up a Hat of Disguise or similar?
    b) If it is not the same person, destroy the undead abomination, and use Cyclic Reincarnation plus Restoration to get the subject back up and running.

The end result:
    If it "works", then the subject is now a relatively high end immortal (ugly, but there's spells and items for that), and has thus gained eternity for his or her trouble... and this can be repeated.
    If it "fails" (which it should, due to the alignment shift), then the subject is now in a young adult body, and has thus gained decades of life for his or her trouble.

Planning on using mitigation techniques - specifically: using Mount to get a long-lasting disposable minion, Anthropormorphic Animal to make it able to do verbal and somatic components, Malevolence to get control over it, and Blood Money to actually pay for the castings - but this would make for a fluff / RP scenario, with none of the party gaining anything mechanical any which way it turns out, so I don't see that as a big deal.

Basically, I'd have Darshee approach the other party members to be the panel, explain her goals, what she wants, and the intended method. Everyone else could then participate in reacting to the proposed experiment, whether that's in planning or execution of it.

This also, of course, means I plan to see about getting a Page of Spell Knowledge for Enervation (which will cost me 7600 to craft).

24. - Top - End - #54

Heather will bring up that few people consent to being rezzed.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Heather will bring up that few people consent to being rezzed.
    I've even got an IC answer for that one - "That'd be a matter of finding the right test subject. While lots of people won't... even if just 1% of a population will want to come back, that means a city of 10,000 will have 100 suitable candidates; we just need to find the right person." A standard Gather Information Diplomacy should cover that sort of thing, no? Looking for people who have a particular view on life & the afterlife.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Your math seems to check out, yeah. And I will look forward to that particular discussion IC. It'll be a fun little paradox/dilemma for Menja.

27. - Top - End - #57

Heather will wait to see what the innkeeper answers, and is intending to follow up with does the person in question have a reason to dislike the princess or want the war to keep going.

28. - Top - End - #58

Sense motive (1d20+27)[39]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Sense motive [roll0]
    He's downright confused by the question. He's largely of the mind that the war does not make sense and the idea of someone actively wanting it to continue is insane. He doesn't know anyone who wants it to continue. He gets that everyone's worried about getting attacked by the enemy (it's happened a lot), and can see the value of a building up a military to protect against such things happening, understands the lack of trust, and the idea of preemptive strikes when it's clear that the enemy is building up their forces to attack (troops are going to die either way, but it's better if it's on their grounds due to the collateral damage involved in any large-scale battle). He's also sufficiently cognizant to recognize there's reasonable odds that 'the enemy' is thinking the exact same thoughts in the other direction, which makes that line of thinking a destructive feedback loop. Consequently, quite grateful for the southern neighbor's intervention.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Power outage here. Posting from my cell phone is annoying. Sorry for the delay, I am not sure when the power will be back. Hopefully tomorrow or so