Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Chortan's Guild OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven View Post
    Would it not hit both anyway? It was a cone attack versus its own barrage. Was it up at the time of the attack as well?
    I guess AoE attacks beat Mirror Image, so I would take the momentum point and lose almost all of my temp HP (unless it deals force/untyped/divine damage, in which case, my DR and/or ER wouldn't apply, meaning the damage taken exceeds my temp hp). Course, my temp hp recovers when my psicrystal regains psionic focus, so for all intents and purposes, I was capable of mitigating the damage entirely.

The 44s just barely missed, you feel like if you didn't Barrage you'd hit it. It also appears to have some sort of shimmering field (probably comparable to your own temporary HP) that you can assume is a form of defense.
    Adjusting for Adept Analysis, my attack & damage rolls were:

A1: 40; D1: 42
    A2: 47; D2: 36
    A3: 46; D3: 40
    A4: 33; D4: 38
    A5: 47; D5: 33
    A6: 40; D6: 34

There weren't really any "44s," looking at it again.

Plus, as I mentioned in my post, my Mind Blade has the "Linked Striking" ability, which increases my weapon's enhancement bonus by +2 (and gives an extra +2d6 damage) on all hits AFTER the first successful one. Your mention of force fields comparable to temp hp makes me wonder if I actually hit it (in which case, Linked Striking would apply, changing the subsequent attack rolls), or if it was protected by something akin to Emergency Force Sphere, where I'd have to deal damage to the Force Bubble prior to dealing damage to the creature?

If that's the case, it would make sense that Linked Striking wouldn't activate, since it only works on "enemies" or "creatures," not objects. Course, Emergency Force Sphere doesn't really allow for much counterattack, but GM privilege takes care of that, I suppose.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-02-19 at 12:16 AM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    I guess AoE attacks beat Mirror Image, so I would take the momentum point and lose almost all of my temp HP (unless it deals force/untyped/divine damage, in which case, my DR and/or ER wouldn't apply, meaning the damage taken exceeds my temp hp). Course, my temp hp recovers when my psicrystal regains psionic focus, so for all intents and purposes, I was capable of mitigating the damage entirely.

Adjusting for Adept Analysis, my attack & damage rolls were:

A1: 40; D1: 42
    A2: 47; D2: 36
    A3: 46; D3: 40
    A4: 33; D4: 38
    A5: 47; D5: 33
    A6: 40; D6: 34

There weren't really any "44s," looking at it again.

Plus, as I mentioned in my post, my Mind Blade has the "Linked Striking" ability, which increases my weapon's enhancement bonus by +2 (and gives an extra +2d6 damage) on all hits AFTER the first successful one. Your mention of force fields comparable to temp hp makes me wonder if I actually hit it (in which case, Linked Striking would apply, changing the subsequent attack rolls), or if it was protected by something akin to Emergency Force Sphere, where I'd have to deal damage to the Force Bubble prior to dealing damage to the creature?

If that's the case, it would make sense that Linked Striking wouldn't activate, since it only works on "enemies" or "creatures," not objects. Course, Emergency Force Sphere doesn't really allow for much counterattack, but GM privilege takes care of that, I suppose.
    The guns do Bludgeoning and Piercing.
    You were a point shy of hitting it. Kind of like how the telekinesis was a point shy of grappling the Retriever.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

Your understanding is appreciated.

3. - Top - End - #393

Imp

The guns do Bludgeoning and Piercing.
    You were a point shy of hitting it. Kind of like how the telekinesis was a point shy of grappling the Retriever.
    Thanks for the heads up. 48 AC and 45 CMD. All in all, that's reasonable considering how powerful our characters are. I'm probably going to start two-handing my Guardian Mindblade with Combat Expertise + Power Attack. Almost definitely going to use the Empower Rally next turn, too. Last chance to air any concerns you may have over the Empower rally.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

It should be fine, it doesn't stack with itself and will have to be decided before the roll. Plus it uses your immediate action.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll probably get a post up in about 24 hours.

ADDENDUM: I messed up my formulas, Retriever is actually bloodied.
    Last edited by Gunhaven; 2019-02-21 at 12:31 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396

Imp

Well, I'm certainly grappled. It's a good thing that Izzy can probably take out the Retriever on her turn with a pounce. I will wait until after she goes to do anything else.

(Theoretically, would Temporal Body Adjustment work on the Grappled condition?)

As for the save, I have evasion, so if I make the save then I take no damage. Still gonna roll for a possible nat 1 though. (1d20)[1] EDIT: lol, guess that's another momentum point spent. Roll the extra damage.

The damage I can actually mitigate quite well it seems. Between my DR 7/- and my momentum pool, I'm not taking very much damage.

I will note that I can't use my Guardian Mindblade while grappled, since it's currently in it's 2-hander configuration. Silly me.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-02-21 at 11:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Gods, I rolled terribly to hit. Re rolling Acid damage here (3d6)[11]
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn that acid damage! Retriever just barely goes down.

Extra damage: (6d6)[18]

9. - Top - End - #399

BarbarianGuy

Damn that acid damage! Retriever just barely goes down.

Extra damage: [roll0]
    Woo! I picked a good element 😁
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

10. - Top - End - #400

Imp

I should probably go ahead and roll the mirror image chance.

Electric Beam: (1d2)[1]
    Retriever Bite: (1d2)[1]
    Scorpion Claw 1: (1d2)[1]
    Scorpion Claw 2: (1d2)[2] EDIT: *NEGATED*

1 hits me, 2 destroys the mirror image. After the first 2, the rest hit (this thing's attack bonus is literally my base AC, lol).

Damage 1: 32 - 7 (Energy Resistance) - 9 (Resilient Momentum) = 16
    Damage 2: 18 - 7 (Damage Reduction) - 9 (Resilient Momentum) = 2
    Damage 3: 25 - 7 (Damage Reduction) - 9 (Resilient Momentum) = 9

Total Damage = 27
    Temp HP = 28 - 27 = 1

Just about managed to avoid any real damage, nice.

Momentum Pool = 10/16
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-02-21 at 07:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

I'll want to do some prep work after this fight for the next. Who all will want a mage armor spell?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

12. - Top - End - #402

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    I'll want to do some prep work after this fight for the next. Who all will want a mage armor spell?
    I should be all set, my AC is already the highest of everyone's. Though I really wish that Mage Armor affected touch, I'd take it in a heartbeat then :/

13. - Top - End - #403

Imp

It affects incorporeal touch, for what it's worth.

Also, I didn't ever think my AC would be consider low, but, well, here we are. Luckily, I have ways of boosting it if we get some time to prepare for the next battle. Pretty much just grab the Shield Sphere, and maybe try mixing combat expertise with fighting defensively. Should get me some pretty decent AC, I think.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, helps with incorporeal touch.

I've got Mage Armor "known" (I'm UMD'ing a Page of Spell Knowledge to get it cross-list), and as I'm a spontaneous caster and it's a first level spell, anyone in the party who wants it can have one after the fight's over.

For offense, I'm planning on casting Wall of Stone, folding it over & over on itself to make a thick wall, then using Stone Shape to separate out several pointy stone rollers, each of which weighs in at my max violent thrust weight (doing the math, I should be able to do eight of them, based on Stone Shape's volume and the density of granite). Put six away in my portable hole, carry the other two. And we can use them to check for floor traps, too. Or open doors. You know, whatever.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

Ilven, you're not close enough for Slow right now. I'll adjust the distance with the assumption you've been moving this entire time though. If you get close enough to target it then will save: (1d20+15)[27]

Ilven if you want to take a different action/another turn (again gonna math out if you could get in Range if you used last turn to run) then feel free. I'll edit in what I figured out in about 30 minutes.

Kaouse, you do have bane running. I'll math out what's happened and possibly post in about 8 hours.

Addendum: thanks 80ft move speed and Haste during surprise round, run, run. For ease of bookkeeping I'm putting you in the same bracket as Darshee. Barely passes the save.

Double Addendum all the way: Whoops, forgot some attacks. Archives of Nethys was kind enough to list what Combined Arms does. There's also the issue of sweet, sweet 20ft Reach. I'll type up the fiddly bits now.
    Everything I do is to provide a challenge:
    Last edited by Gunhaven; 2019-02-22 at 02:01 AM.

16. - Top - End - #406

Imp

I will note that Jack seemed to have crit with one of his telekinesis rolls. He should probably roll to confirm said crit...unless the creature is immune to critical hits.

Other things to note: I didn't do anything that expended my psionic focus, meaning that I also can't actively recover it. As such, I only have 1 temp hp left, and no more mirror images. YMMV on whether I or my psicrystal can even regain psionic focus now that my main body is raging.

Ah, before I forget, I have access to the Rage Power, Come and Get Me. The Scorpion gains a +4 bonus to attack and damage rolls against me while I'm raging. In return though, I get the ability to make attacks of opportunity against it for each attack it makes against me.

Spoiler: Relevant Abilities
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Fury
    Spirit Fury: The aegis draws the spirits of the fallen to him, gaining their power at the expense of self-control. While he is wearing his astral suit, he may rage for a number of rounds per day equal to 4 + his class level + his Charisma modifier. While raging, the aegis gains a +4 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution, as well as a +2 morale bonus on Will saves. In addition, he takes a Ė2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase to Constitution grants the aegis bonus hit points per Hit Dice, but these disappear when the rage ends and are not lost first like temporary hit points. While in rage, an aegis cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration. An aegis can enter or end his rage as a free action, and is fatigued after rage for a number of rounds equal to 2 times the number of rounds spent in rage. An aegis cannot enter a new rage while fatigued or exhausted.
    This customization can be taken once for every six levels the aegis possesses. Each time it is taken after the first, the aegis may rage for additional 6 rounds per day, and gains a rage power that they qualify for. For the purpose of qualifying for rage powers, the aegis is treated as a barbarian of his class level. If the aegis possesses rage powers from another source (such as from levels in the barbarian class), they may not be used while in a spirit fury. The aegis must be at least 6th level before selecting this customization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Come and Get Me
    Prerequisite: Barbarian 12
    Benefit: While raging, as a free action the barbarian may leave herself open to attack while preparing devastating counterattacks. Enemies gain a +4 bonus on attack and damage rolls against the barbarian until the beginning of her next turn, but every attack against the barbarian provokes an attack of opportunity from her, which is resolved prior to resolving each enemy attack.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-02-22 at 08:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    I will note that Jack seemed to have crit with one of his telekinesis rolls. He should probably roll to confirm said crit...unless the creature is immune to critical hits.
    It's line 4, so there's little point until we've got a better idea what's around to throw... but sure:
    (1d20+25)[29]
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-02-22 at 08:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

I had it as you yanking off a 375 pound portion of the Retriever with the assumption you go for one heavy object versus multiple smaller objects. Otherwise I'll check the timing for crits immunity.

Edit: It was immune to crits when Darshee potentially bapped the scorpion.

Oh, piece of candy: I rolled a crit with one of the AOOs. Assuming Izzy only has a 5ft reach/moved through 3 squares of threatened territory/etc. If you want me to try confirming it I will, otherwise just cycle back around to the first roll (not confirming it).

I've at least put up a grid for the actual object everyone's fighting on so hopefully distances will make a little more sense.
    Last edited by Gunhaven; 2019-02-22 at 09:35 AM.

19. - Top - End - #409

Imp

What did I provoke attacks of opportunity for, again? I believe the only movement I ever made were via Ghost Step Teleportation. Is there a special ability at play here? I do have Knowledge (Martial) if you want me to roll it (+30 bonus).

Also, I think you can only take an attack of opportunity once per movement, so moving through somebody's reach doesn't provoke more than once, IIRC.

Spoiler: Rules Text
    Show
    Combat Reflexes and Additional Attacks of Opportunity

If you have the Combat Reflexes feat, you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesnít count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/Gamemasteri...of-Opportunity

At any rate, let's see how much damage I take outside of the AoOs.

Damage 1: 32 - 7 (DR/ER) - 9 (Momentum) = 16
    Damage 2: 29 - 7 (DR/ER) - 9 (Momentum) = 13
    Damage 3: 29 - 7 (DR/ER) - 9 (Momentum) = 13
    Damage 4: 29 - 7 (DR/ER) - 9 (Momentum) = 13

Total damage = 55. 54 after temp hp. That fills up my Delayed Damage Pool (3 * 14 = 42) and thus deals 42 nonlethal damage and 12 lethal damage. Momentum Pool = 6/16. This doesn't even include the AoOs until I get some more confirmation.

Whew boy. Things are certainly beginning to add up. I'm definitely going to need some healing if this keeps up.

In return though, I do get to make a few attacks of opportunity of my own...which I will do later.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-02-22 at 11:01 AM.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

You right, it's just the one. And they were against Izzy who charged against the Retriever and through the Scorpion's threatened area.

The only thing I had forgotten against you was that it can attack with both melee and ranged weapons when making a full attack.

21. - Top - End - #411

BarbarianGuy

So, just to be clear, all three AoO attacks were attempted, And the last one does hit because of the -2 penalty to AC for charging. Correct?

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    So, just to be clear, all three AoO attacks were attempted, And the last one does hit because of the -2 penalty to AC for charging. Correct?
    Only the first was and it missed. Let me add some strikethroughs real quick.

23. - Top - End - #413

Imp

So the two attacks against me were simply attacks from the previous turn that it could have made, but failled to do so? Okay, I guess.

Damage 5: 28 - 7 (DR/ER) - 9 (Momentum) = 12
    Damage 6: 37 - 7 (DR/ER) - 9 (Momentum) = 21

That's 33 more damage, however, since it occured in a previous turn, it fills up that turn's delayed damage pool and becomes nonlethal damage (unless they were attacks of opportunity for something, and thus happened off turn).

Total Nonlethal Damage = 42 + 33 = 75 nonlethal damage, 12 lethal damage. Definitely backing off next turn to do some healing.

Luckily, I have access to the Salve from Alchemy Sphere. Thanks to it and The Caged Sun stance, I should be able to sustain myself quite a while longer. Between those two, I can heal a total of [4d8 (1/2 ranks) + 9 (INT) + 15 (3 DC increases) + 6 (essence)] x 1.5 (stance). Excess healing for my lethal damage also becomes temp HP, which is pretty nice. I can only have 5 formulas saved on me at a time, but I doubt I'll need all 5, and I can make more after the battle.

Spoiler: Relevant Abilities
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy Sphere
    When you gain the Alchemy sphere, you gain 5 ranks in the Craft (alchemy) skill, plus 5 ranks per additional talent spent in the Alchemy sphere (maximum ranks equal to your total Hit Dice). If you already have ranks in the Craft (alchemy) skill you may immediately retrain them, but you do not get to retrain when only temporarily gaining talents, such as through the armigerís customized weapons class feature.
    Increases my ranks from 3 to 8. 8 is less than my current HD, so there's no need to retrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Salve Formula
    Salve (formulae)
    Craft DC: 15

You create a poultice that can be used as a standard action to heal yourself or a target within your natural reach for 1d8 points of damage per 2 ranks in Craft (alchemy) you possess (minimum 1d8) plus your practitioner modifier. You can only attempt to heal a particular creature with this ability a number of times per day equal to 1/2 the number of ranks you possess in the Craft (alchemy) skill (minimum 1) plus your practitioner modifier.

You can increase the Craft DC for this item in increments of 10; each time you do so you increase the healing granted by the salve by 5.
    Alchemy Check = 25 (base) + 5 (extra ranks) + 5 (Archmage Narrative) + 10 (Take 10) = 45 = 3 DC raises

Quote Originally Posted by The Caged Sun Stance
    The Caged Sun
    Discipline: Radiant Dawn (Stance)
    Level: 1
    Initiation Action: 1 swift action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: Stance

If you have 50% or fewer hit points, entering this stance can be done as a free action instead of a swift. While you maintain this stance, you cannot heal creatures other than yourself, but any healing you receive is increased by 50%. If you would be healed for more than your maximum amount of hit points, you instead gain an amount of temporary hit points equal to the excess healing.

These temporary hit points stack with other temporary hit points granted by you, up to a maximum of your maximum hit points, and last for one minute, until initiative is rolled, or you abandon this stance.

Essence: Each point of essence invested into this stance increases the amount of healing you receive by 2 (before modified by the stances effects). Each point of essence also increases your attack, AC, and saves by 1.

24. - Top - End - #414

BarbarianGuy

Alright, going over Casmar's attacks, none of my punches are even come close to hitting this thing without a crit. I'm gonna try to gunk it up with a Web(with is thankfully a touch attack)

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

I should be in Arcane Sight range (120 ft) at this point. Any magic on the scorpion?

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

There isn't any magic. Noticeably the only magic so far has been on the Retriever (which matches what you know about them having Spider Climb / Discern Location). It also fails to penetrate the object but a brief look at the gash does confirm it looks to be at least three feet thick of what you can safely assume is metal.

27. - Top - End - #417

Imp

I'm guessing that the thing doesn't crit on a 15.

Damage = 26 - 7 (DR/ER) - 9 (Momentum) = 10

My Delayed Damage Pool is already full (it empties at the end of my turn), so this just straight up becomes lethal damage.

Actually, looking over it again, the damage in my delayed damage pool doesn't become nonlethal until it empties, and it's effected by healing normally. In other words, the damage in my delayed damage pool is still basically lethal damage when being healed.

So to be exact, I have 22 lethal damage, 42 damage in the delayed damage pool, and 33 nonlethal damage. Healing 77 heals my 22 lethal and my 42 delayed damage, leaving only 13 damage left that becomes temp hp. It also gets applied separately to the nonlethal damage, and wipes it entirely. If I could use the Salve after my delayed damage pool empties, then the 77 healing would wipe out the 75 nonlethal and then give me 42 more temp hp, or 55 total.

...Which then just reminds me, I can just ready an action to use Salve! That allows my delayed damage pool to empty and maximizes my healing. If it's not too late, I think I'll do that.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

There isn't any magic. Noticeably the only magic so far has been on the Retriever (which matches what you know about them having Spider Climb / Discern Location). It also fails to penetrate the object but a brief look at the gash does confirm it looks to be at least three feet thick of what you can safely assume is metal.
    Which, among other things, means that while I can't do much to it... it can't do much to me, either. Good to know. Well, moving in this round, and next round I can start dishing out Heal spells to everyone who needs them...

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll get a post up in about 22 hours so that it can do the one thing that isn't straight physical attacks against y'all. I'll also add in the little flavor bit about it's claws not doing anything to Darshee.

In the mean time I'm working on something beyond just straight base monsters to see what challenge I can bring.

30. - Top - End - #420

Imp

Reflex save: (1d20+29)[37]

Didn't roll a 1, and I have evasion, so I take zero damage.

My Momentum Pool is at 3/16 right now, but I can spend a round replenishing it, if need be. I'll also be fatigued for one more round, anyway, so it's not a bad idea to take some time getting prepared.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-02-28 at 01:26 PM.