Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Chortan's Guild OOC

Damn, I went over the Web evolution like 4 times when I was trying to figure out what to do, missed the 'up to one size category larger' part till you pointed it out Gunhaven.

Anyway Reflex save: (1d20+20)[33]

Woo! With Evasion, damage is 0
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2019-02-28 at 01:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms. Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it takes only half damage from a corporeal source (except for channel energy). Although it is not a magical attack, holy water can affect incorporeal undead. Corporeal spells and effects that do not cause damage only have a 50% chance of affecting an incorporeal creature. Force spells and effects, such as from a magic missile, affect an incorporeal creature normally.
    Mr. Scorpion can't touch her directly. Which I suppose is fair, as she has so far failed to do anything of use this encounter.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #423

BarbarianGuy

What would the DC be to jump on top of the Scorpion? Unless someone has an idea of what I can do with a Web that can't entangle it, jumping onto it and pummeling it is my only viable option.
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it'd be a series of acrobatic checks and a grapple check. I'd say DC 40 to hurl yourself towards the foe, followed by one to move through it's space (although I could see that one being unnecessary as you heedlessly charge forward), and then the grapple check. It's got a 65 CMD, though. It'll also be the one AOO I succeed against you as I spike you into the ground.

You should have like a +12 bonus because of your increased speed, by the way.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

Your understanding is appreciated.

5. - Top - End - #425

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven View Post
    I think it'd be a series of acrobatic checks and a grapple check. I'd say DC 40 to hurl yourself towards the foe, followed by one to move through it's space (although I could see that one being unnecessary as you heedlessly charge forward), and then the grapple check. It's got a 65 CMD, though. It'll also be the one AOO I succeed against you as I spike you into the ground.

You should have like a +12 bonus because of your increased speed, by the way.
    Hmmm....ok......could I jump off and fire a web at the Scorpion, not to entangle, but to catch myself?

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    Hmmm....ok......could I jump off and fire a web at the Scorpion, not to entangle, but to catch myself?
    Yeah, that sounds reasonable. You'd have to make the touch attack to hit with the web but can definitely use it to support yourself and can climb it, so it makes sense if you can use it as an impromptu lasso.

It's going to return to focusing on smashing and shooting Cadmus since that's shown the greatest results.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

7. - Top - End - #427
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. You'd have to make the touch attack to hit with the web but can definitely use it to support yourself and can climb it, so it makes sense if you can use it as an impromptu lasso.

It's going to return to focusing on smashing and shooting Cadmus since that's shown the greatest results.
    Would suck to be this Cadmus guy. :P

Still though, "Cadmus" was probably thinking the same thing. After the end of this round, his fatigue will go away, and that means he gets to go back into Rage.

I'm thinking that it may be possible for me to afflict him with a Combat Maneuver, does "Cadmus" know if this thing is susceptible to something like a Dirty Trick for a blind effect?

If I can debuff this thing, then maybe there's a chance the rest of the party can help take it down. Any other possible ideas for combat maneuvers, guys? They have to use the weapon specifically, cuz the only way it'll work is with the Dueling weapon property.

8. - Top - End - #428

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    Would suck to be this Cadmus guy. :P

Still though, "Cadmus" was probably thinking the same thing. After the end of this round, his fatigue will go away, and that means he gets to go back into Rage.

I'm thinking that it may be possible for me to afflict him with a Combat Maneuver, does "Cadmus" know if this thing is susceptible to something like a Dirty Trick for a blind effect?

If I can debuff this thing, then maybe there's a chance the rest of the party can help take it down. Any other possible ideas for combat maneuvers, guys? They have to use the weapon specifically, cuz the only way it'll work is with the Dueling weapon property.
    Perhaps a sunder attempt on those machine guns? That would certainly help

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

That Cadmus fellow will probably have a meteor drop on him, lol.

It's apparently not immune to the blinded condition.
    You've been able to piece together that it's definitely a construct. It's also not a golem or anything like that but instead closer to a more advanced clockwork method of animation.

10. - Top - End - #430

Imp

Okay, my major plan is to use this turn to flex my floating feat to the Brute Sphere, rather than the Athlethics Sphere that I made literally zero use of because I remembered that I can teleport. With the Brute Sphere, I'll be able to make a move action touch attack (while moving up to half of my speed) to deal a tiny bit of damage, but also inflict the battered condition on the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Using Spheres of Might
    Battered (condition)
    Heavy blows have left a creature with this condition vulnerable to further attacks, imposing a -2 penalty to the creatureís CMD and preventing them from taking attacks of opportunity provoked by a creature performing a combat maneuver. Some talents have different effects or activation times against battered creatures. The battered condition can be removed by taking the total defense action, or through the restore ability of the Life sphere (see Spheres of Power), the lesser restoration spell, or similar effects. When inflicting the battered condition on a target that is already battered, the rounds stack when determining duration.
    That should allow me to follow it up with a Combat Maneuver of my choice. Between Linked Striking and Furious, my weapon has a +9 enhancement bonus against this Scorpion. Thanks to the dueling enhancement, I get to add a luck bonus equal to twice the weapon's enhancement bonus on a combat maneuver using the weapon. +1 for Fate's Favored on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dueling (+1) Weapon Property
    A dueling weapon bears magical enhancements that makes it particularly effective at performing certain combat maneuvers. When a dueling weapon is used to perform a combat maneuver that utilizes the weapon only (see below), it grants a luck bonus equal to twice its enhancement bonus on the CMB check made to carry out the maneuver. The dueling weapon also grants this same luck bonus to the wielderís CMD score against these types of combat maneuvers. These combat maneuvers include disarm and trip maneuvers, but not bull rush, grapple, or overrun maneuvers. If youíre using the additional combat maneuvers in the Advanced Playerís Guide, this also includes any dirty trick maneuvers that utilize the weapon, as well as reposition combat maneuvers, but not drag or steal combat maneuvers. Note that this luck bonus stacks with the weaponís enhancement bonus, which in and of itself adds to CMB checks normally.
    So effectively, my CMB against this creature would be 30 (base) + 9 (enhnacement) + 18 (luck) + 1 (Fate's Favored) or +58. Thus, if the creature has a CMD of 65, which becomes 63 when battered, I'd need to roll a 5 or higher on the check to affect it with a combat maneuver, but only as long as that combat maneuver expressly uses my weapon. This means sunder, disarm, trip, and dirty trick. Trip is out since this thing can fly. Disarm doesn't seem possible since these weapons seem welded to the creature's body. Sundering thise touch attcak guns would certainly help matters, but if Darshee is here to pump healing into us it really shouldn't matter too much...unless I can sunder it's armor? Or would it all count as natural armor?

With my knowledge check, do I know if this thing has sunder-able armor? Or I guess, can I just physically see it on it's body? If I can weaken it's armor, our Synthesist could probably do a lot of damage to it. I'd also prefer sunder because dirty tricks can be eliminated with a move action, whereas sunder is much more permanent. But I really want to decrease it's AC so we can all put the hurt on it.

Of course, all of this is actually for the next round. In this current round, I need to spend a standard action to flex my floating feat, and I still need to figure out what I want for my move action and swift action.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-03-02 at 12:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431

BarbarianGuy

Okay, my major plan is to use this turn to flex my floating feat to the Brute Sphere, rather than the Athlethics Sphere that I made literally zero use of because I remembered that I can teleport. With the Brute Sphere, I'll be able to make a move action touch attack (while moving up to half of my speed) to deal a tiny bit of damage, but also inflict the battered condition on the enemy.

That should allow me to follow it up with a Combat Maneuver of my choice. Between Linked Striking and Furious, my weapon has a +9 enhancement bonus against this Scorpion. Thanks to the dueling enhancement, I get to add a luck bonus equal to twice the weapon's enhancement bonus on a combat maneuver using the weapon. +1 for Fate's Favored on top of that.

So effectively, my CMB against this creature would be 30 (base) + 9 (enhnacement) + 18 (luck) + 1 (Fate's Favored) or +58. Thus, if the creature has a CMD of 65, which becomes 63 when battered, I'd need to roll a 5 or higher on the check to affect it with a combat maneuver, but only as long as that combat maneuver expressly uses my weapon. This means sunder, disarm, trip, and dirty trick. Trip is out since this thing can fly. Disarm doesn't seem possible since these weapons seem welded to the creature's body. Sundering thise touch attcak guns would certainly help matters, but if Darshee is here to pump healing into us it really shouldn't matter too much...unless I can sunder it's armor? Or would it all count as natural armor?

With my knowledge check, do I know if this thing has sunder-able armor? Or I guess, can I just physically see it on it's body? If I can weaken it's armor, our Synthesist could probably do a lot of damage to it. I'd also prefer sunder because dirty tricks can be eliminated with a move action, whereas sunder is much more permanent. But I really want to decrease it's AC so we can all put the hurt on it.

Of course, all of this is actually for the next round. In this current round, I need to spend a standard action to flex my floating feat, and I still need to figure out what I want for my move action and swift action.
    We have s synthesist?

12. - Top - End - #432

Imp

Well, we have an Eidolon, lol.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Well, we have an Eidolon, lol.
    That's from a template.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

The bad news is that the armor is all natural and thus can't really be sundered.

The good news is that the guns aren't. It doesn't come with that ability, hilariously enough.

I'll get a post up in probably 20ish hours unless I do it later tonight. Theoretically the combat's done, it's just a matter of how much resources are spent as y'all whittle it down. Report's sent concerning what has and hasn't worked against who's come to investigate and fun times will be had.

15. - Top - End - #435

Imp

Hmm, guess I'll go for the dirty trick then.

Here's the plan.

• Heather starts, and she recasts Haste on the party.
    • Darshee is up next, and she goes behind the creature to set up flanking.
    • Then, I run up to the creature, shove it, and attempt to blind it with a Dirty Trick.
    • Next, Izzy comes in with a Charge-Pounce.

Between the bonuses from charge, haste, flanking and it being blinded, Izzy should have a pretty decent shot of ripping it apart.
    We can delay to get the proper order if necessary. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-03-04 at 10:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, guess I'll go for the dirty trick then.

Here's the plan.

• Heather starts, and she recasts Haste on the party.
    • Darshee is up next, and she goes behind the creature to set up flanking.
    • Then, I run up to the creature, shove it, and attempt to blind it with a Dirty Trick.
    • Next, Izzy comes in with a Charge-Pounce.

Between the bonuses from charge, haste, flanking and it being blinded, Izzy should have a pretty decent shot of ripping it apart.
    We can delay to get the proper order if necessary. What do you guys think?
    Sure... but I'm not entirely sure if I count as threatening this thing. Yes, my at-will touch attack means I'm armed, but it's fort half and targets creatures. Still, worth a move action or two to find out.

17. - Top - End - #437

Imp

Just because you can't deal damage doesn't mean that you aren't capable of flanking/threatening.

Imagine a Barbarian with a DR build. They aren't immune to being flanked or threatened by creatures who can't effectively damage them, right?

EDIT: Which reminds me, once you get into flanking position, consider spending a standard action on aid another. With that and flanking, the only way I miss my Dirty Trick is if I roll a nat 1, if I've calculated everything correctly.

Of course, if you have any other better ideas on what to do with your action, by all means, do it.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-03-05 at 12:21 AM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

Guess who got a crit? This gun got a crit.

Confirm: (1d20+29)[31]
    Pain: (24d6)[86]

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

So will I need to cast Heal, or Breath of Life this round?

20. - Top - End - #440

Imp

Well, let's see. You healed for 25 hp last round.

With my stance, The Caged Sun, that's (25 + (2*3[essence]))* 1.5, or (31 * 1.5), or 46 hp added to my 55 temp hp, for a total of 101 temp hp.

That should be enough to keep me up for this round, but I'll probably need a heal spell pretty soon, since this construct apparently has pounce.

As mentioned earlier, I can increase my Touch AC by up to 9, which would bring my touch AC to 33. Not enough to negate any given hit, but enough to stop the crit confirmation. Alternatively, I can use Empower to increase my AC and attack rolls by 5.

It's been 2 rounds, so the fatigue from rage and the extra duration on the last empower finished at the end of my last turn. I notice that I didn't include it in my CMB calculations, so using it now should make it an automatic hit. But let's see how much damage I would take if I took the critical hit before reusing it.

Damage 1: 20 - 7 (DR/ER) - 9 (Momentum) = 4
    Damage 2: 18 - 7 (DR/ER) - 9 (Momentum) = 2
    Damage 3: 27 - 7 (DR/ER) - 9 (Momentum) = 11
    Damage 4: 23 + 86 - 7 (DR/ER) = 102

Total Damage = 119

I only have 3 points in my momentum pool at the moment, so I won't be able to decrease the damage from the last attack.

That said, it would eliminate my temp hp and deal 18 damage into my delayed damage pool, which would become nonlethal anyway. As long as it doesn't happen again, it should be fine.

Which means, I think what I'm going to do with my immediate action, is cast Empower...on Izzy. That should make it a lot easier for her to land a few hits against this thing.

21. - Top - End - #441

BarbarianGuy

Well, let's see. You healed for 25 hp last round.

With my stance, The Caged Sun, that's (25 + (2*3[essence]))* 1.5, or (31 * 1.5), or 46 hp added to my 55 temp hp, for a total of 101 temp hp.

That should be enough to keep me up for this round, but I'll probably need a heal spell pretty soon, since this construct apparently has pounce.

As mentioned earlier, I can increase my Touch AC by up to 9, which would bring my touch AC to 33. Not enough to negate any given hit, but enough to stop the crit confirmation. Alternatively, I can use Empower to increase my AC and attack rolls by 5.

It's been 2 rounds, so the fatigue from rage and the extra duration on the last empower finished at the end of my last turn. I notice that I didn't include it in my CMB calculations, so using it now should make it an automatic hit. But let's see how much damage I would take if I took the critical hit before reusing it.

Damage 1: 20 - 7 (DR/ER) - 9 (Momentum) = 4
    Damage 2: 18 - 7 (DR/ER) - 9 (Momentum) = 2
    Damage 3: 27 - 7 (DR/ER) - 9 (Momentum) = 11
    Damage 4: 23 + 86 - 7 (DR/ER) = 102

Total Damage = 119

I only have 3 points in my momentum pool at the moment, so I won't be able to decrease the damage from the last attack.

That said, it would eliminate my temp hp and deal 18 damage into my delayed damage pool, which would become nonlethal anyway. As long as it doesn't happen again, it should be fine.

Which means, I think what I'm going to do with my immediate action, is cast Empower...on Izzy. That should make it a lot easier for her to land a few hits against this thing.
    With that empower and a charge up my web, my first 4 hits would be at +39 and my next 3 at +36. If Darshee or Casmar is able to somehow get above the Scorpion to set up flanking, that additional +2 would be greatly appreciated

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    With that empower and a charge up my web, my first 4 hits would be at +39 and my next 3 at +36. If Darshee or Casmar is able to somehow get above the Scorpion to set up flanking, that additional +2 would be greatly appreciated
    I'm adjacent to Casmar already, and do have fly 30 (perfect). So... that "20ft from Casmar, 80ft Up" - that means 20 feet from the object, 80 feet up in the air (vs. myself at 60), for a 30 foot diagonal, correct? And, of course, it's very big, and can't hurt me, so I can pretty much move through it's space with impunity.

Plan is to cast Heal, then try for it. I'll probably just end up adjacent, though. Ah, there we go: If I delay slightly, and Heather does follow through with the Haste, then I'll have Fly-60(Perfect) for a short while.... I'll post starting with that assumption, but leave it at least a little open.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-03-05 at 10:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #443

Imp

Rather than a Heal spell, could you use aid another? It might be a little bit overboard to want to hit on a 2, but if this thing gets blinded, there's a pretty decent chance that we can not only end it, but greatly reduce it's possible damage next turn as well.

Then, if we just keep this strategy up, we should be able to kill it with little hassle.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Rather than a Heal spell, could you use aid another? It might be a little bit overboard to want to hit on a 2, but if this thing gets blinded, there's a pretty decent chance that we can not only end it, but greatly reduce it's possible damage next turn as well.

Then, if we just keep this strategy up, we should be able to kill it with little hassle.
    Probably not, no. A couple of reasons:

In character:
    Healing folks who look seriously wounded is going to be her priority, and nobody IC's been telling her otherwise.
    We're not greatly familiar with it's capabilities: If it's got Blindsight or something, blinding it isn't going to do overly much.

Out of character:
    What we're facing isn't an oversized metal scorpion with guns. It's a robot controlled by the starship's security AI. It may very well be able to lean on ship's sensors for targeting when the robot's blinded. Changing your success probability from an 85% to a 95% probably isn't worth the risk when you realize there's a 30-ish percent chance that it's essentially immune to the tactic (whether that's because of extra senses on the beast, or because it can use the senses of the star ship sitting right there next to us). If I heal, it's vulnerable to the blinding, and you miss by that 2-points the Aid Another would make... you can try again next round, no problems. If I don't, and it's not vulnerable to the blinding... we might be short a character for a while.

25. - Top - End - #445

Imp

Well, the GM already confirmed that, with our previous knowledge check of the creature, it wasn't immune to the blinded condition. Also, I'm not really what you would consider "seriously wounded," so to speak. Thanks to my impressive array of defenses, I'm still technically at max HP. I'll be taking 18 points of nonlethal damage next round, but aside from that, I'm fit as a fiddle.

That said, I do suppose that I'm just being paranoid about my chances. Also, now that I think about it, since I used last round's immediate action on Empowering Izzy, there's no real reason why I can't use this round's immediate/swift action on empowering myself, which gives me that 95% success chance anyway.

As long as Heather hastes us, I'll have more than enough move speed to use Shove, so it's not like I need to Hustle, either. So feel free to use Heal, or any other action you think is most valuable in this situation. I will note that, thanks to my Stance, an actual "Heal" spell is kinda overkill. It would immediately push me to 148 temp hp (the same as my full hp, the maximum amount allowable from this stance).

That said, since I've ran out of momentum for resilient momentum, I will note that I'm a bit more vulnerable than I've been previously. I also never recovered psionic focus (since I have yet to spend it again), so my singular mirror image and my extra Guardian temp hp have also been depleted. Luckily, between my delayed damage pool and my DR, I still have some defenses that will never run out. But extra healing (that I can turn into temp hp) is always welcome.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-03-06 at 12:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #446

Imp

I rolled a nat 1 on my shove attack, so the creature isn't battered. I would have had to provoke for moving through it's threatened squares, and then again for using Dirty Trick. Thanks to Darshee's Heal spell, however, I'm at max hp AND max temp hp (148), so I'm likely to survive the blows.

I should note that my attack rolls assumed a +2 flanking bonus, but did not assume a +1 haste bonus.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-03-07 at 08:28 PM.

27. - Top - End - #447

BarbarianGuy

Woo! Crit on the first hit!
    Crit Confirm (1d20+39)[58]
    Damage (3d8+27)[41]

EDIT: OMG ANOTHER CRIT!
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2019-03-08 at 11:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #448

BarbarianGuy

Second Crit Confirm (1d20+39)[51]
    Damage (3d8+27)[43]

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think you can crit off of confirmations unfortunately, not that it matters much. It's most likely going to be dead (that Blinded done made it so that every attack hit).

I'll get a reply saying as much probably tonight, definitely tomorrow morning, and make a last touch or two for the map of the interior of this object.

30. - Top - End - #450

BarbarianGuy

I don't think you can crit off of confirmations unfortunately, not that it matters much. It's most likely going to be dead (that Blinded done made it so that every attack hit).

I'll get a reply saying as much probably tonight, definitely tomorrow morning, and make a last touch or two for the map of the interior of this object.
    Are you saying you.....didn't see it coming? 😀