Imp

Default Re: Chortan's Guild OOC

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    Are you saying you.....didn't see it coming? 😀
    He's saying that he was...blindsided.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

It was definitely blinded by the light. Now if only falling scorpions did enough d6 worth of damage to make a Shadowrun player jealous.

Getting that reply up now that haste was definitely cast (it was going to be literally at 1 HP otherwise).

Edit: Before I forget to ask, who here has a good excuse for having visited Numeria/Eberron/"Sci-Fi in my Fantasy Setting" in their past so I know what to divulge beyond "Advanced Clockworks"?
    Last edited by Gunhaven; 2019-03-09 at 02:22 AM.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

Your understanding is appreciated.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Sorry Gun, autopass the Reflex save
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven View Post
    Edit: Before I forget to ask, who here has a good excuse for having visited Numeria/Eberron/"Sci-Fi in my Fantasy Setting" in their past so I know what to divulge beyond "Advanced Clockworks"?
    Casmar is a historian and an archeologist; not only does he read a lot about different eras, he does his best to visit and excavate those areas. This includes both past and future.

Plus, his Astral suit is made out of ectoplasm, and there's an easy argument to be made that it's just advanced technology. Actually, I think you could make that argument for any Psionic character.

5. - Top - End - #455

Imp

Jumping right into next combat, huh? I presume we would all get some time to recast buffs and whatnot before immediately heading off into the unknown ship, correct? I need to expend and regain psionic focus to bring back my Archmage Mirror Image, as well as my Guardian Temp HP. I also need to recast momentum.

I should note that I miscalculated my spell point pool; apparently non-spherecasters don't inherently add their level to their spell point pool. Still though, due to my casting tradition, I still have 23 spell points and preciously few things to spend it on. Just momentum and empower. So I still have spell points for days.

I still need to figure out what floating feat I'm going to want for the next fight. I guess I could grab Advanced Study, then spend 10 minutes retraining my readied maneuvers into something a bit more useful. In fact, thanks to Advanced Study not being limited to maneuver archetype progression, I could use it to grab the 7th level maneuver, "Beat the Clock," a counter which allows me to take a standard action as an immediate action. It's certainly a lot more useful than Clockwatcher, which just lets me act in the surprise round. I think I'll do that, spending the 3 power points necessary to change my floating feat, and the 10 minutes necessary to change my readied maneuvers.

If we level to level 15, I'll be able to use this trick to also pick up a new 8th level Stance, which of course can only be the God of the Hourglass Stance. But that's for next level, heh.

EDIT: Also, I should note that my temp hp from the Caged Sun vanishes after 1 minute, or as soon as the next initiative is rolled, whichever is sooner.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-03-10 at 07:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Also do note: Per the Incorporeal Ability, "Nonvisual senses, such as scent and blindsight, are either ineffective or only partly effective with regard to incorporeal creatures."

Also: I'm really hard to follow if you're not incorporeal yourself - I walk through walls up to five feet thick, and apparently this place caps out at 3 feet thick for the exterior. Also: I only need to get within one inch of the exterior of the wall to see through it (yay ring of invisibility), so it'll be common for critters to not have line of effect to me.

... and I noted that I'm not wanting to rely on invisibility. It's known to be easily countered by another 2nd level spell.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-03-10 at 09:09 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

The balls of protoplasma are also on the ethereal plane and the four armed murderbot sees into said plane without issue. But no one follows you as you duck into the floor.

Combat hasn't started for that reason. I had ruled it as "every time a hostile creature was going to do something Darshee went into the floor and ended combat." You still have time to reapply buffs, plan, etc. Just not time to get out the bedrolls and have a sleepover here.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

8. - Top - End - #458

Imp

Would it be possible for Darshee to describe what she's encountered, so that we can make knowledge checks on what sort of creatures await us?

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground

Barring her deciding not to share the information for some reason. (It's also why I removed the fog of war on the slide)

Dungeoneering for Oozes, Engineering for murderbots, Planes for Devil and Arcana for Golems.

10. - Top - End - #460

Imp

Arcana: (1d20+30)[48]
    Dungeoneering: (1d20+30)[49]
    Engineering: (1d20+30)[32]
    Planes: (1d20+30)[31]

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

And one more for that final six HP: (1d8+5)[10]
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

From South to North:
    Plasma Ooze and Etheric Jellies

A higher level Robot, quite possibly a Gladiator given it's reaction but you haven't ran into one before.

An Ice Devil and Ice Golems.

None of it is entirely standard, of course. For example the Etheric Jellies are at least Giant and Advanced thanks to Absorb.

13. - Top - End - #463

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    And one more for that final six HP: [roll0]
    Wait, did we level up? Cuz if so...

14. - Top - End - #464

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    Wait, did we level up? Cuz if so...
    No, I needed to heal
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

15. - Top - End - #465

Imp

No, I needed to heal
    Oh, okay. That's fine. Still, I can't wait till we do get to level 15, that should be fun.

16. - Top - End - #466

BarbarianGuy

Oh, okay. That's fine. Still, I can't wait till we do get to level 15, that should be fun.
    I'm with you there! The opportunity to rework my eidolon side is exciting! Anyway, how do you guys think we should proceed? IC Izzy doesn't really know anything about the ship or its contents, so he will defer to the knowledgeable ones (I.e. everyone else)

17. - Top - End - #467

Imp

We're about to face some Ice Devils and Ice Golems, so I presume that we're likely to need some protection from the cold, whether via communal protection from energy, or communal resist energy.

I think I can use a similar trick to what I did earlier, where I cast Delay Poison, Communal. Specifically with Communal Resist Energy, since that's 3rd level (4th level spells like Communal Protection from Energy are beyond my power until level 18). I can cast these spell-like abilities up to 4 times per day for Faith, Magecraft and Potential.

Of course, if somebody else wishes to cast the necessary spells, by all means, be my guest.

After we have ice protection, it's anybody's guess on how to best proceed from there. I'm fine heading in all guns blazing, if that's what the group decides.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

We'll all level up after this mission (aka once you clear out the ship and return the area to an acceptable status). I'm in the process of randomly rebuilding my first submission since Quill was a fun theorybuild but otherwise pretty terrible in actual effectiveness, I felt.

I even figured out how to automatically advance dragons to a certain CR on Google Sheets. Nightmare Dragons have pretty great stats (but get close to screwing with the average).

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

We're about to face some Ice Devils and Ice Golems, so I presume that we're likely to need some protection from the cold, whether via communal protection from energy, or communal resist energy.

I think I can use a similar trick to what I did earlier, where I cast Delay Poison, Communal. Specifically with Communal Resist Energy, since that's 3rd level (4th level spells like Communal Protection from Energy are beyond my power until level 18). I can cast these spell-like abilities up to 4 times per day for Faith, Magecraft and Potential.

Of course, if somebody else wishes to cast the necessary spells, by all means, be my guest.

After we have ice protection, it's anybody's guess on how to best proceed from there. I'm fine heading in all guns blazing, if that's what the group decides.
    I've got both Resist Energy and Protection from Energy prepared... but it's on the prepared side, and it's only one of each. Also, with the obvious blindsight, it's unlikely we're going to sneak in. Short of trying to melt the thing down from outside, or maybe coopt the demons (as they seem to be at least a bit in charge; the scorpion was apparently trying to defend the retriever, after all), there's little but the direct approach. I could maybe account for one of the demons if we want to go that route, but... well, Dominate Monster is 9th, so I don't see getting all of them as a likely scenario.

20. - Top - End - #470

BarbarianGuy

I've got both Resist Energy and Protection from Energy prepared... but it's on the prepared side, and it's only one of each. Also, with the obvious blindsight, it's unlikely we're going to sneak in. Short of trying to melt the thing down from outside, or maybe coopt the demons (as they seem to be at least a bit in charge; the scorpion was apparently trying to defend the retriever, after all), there's little but the direct approach. I could maybe account for one of the demons if we want to go that route, but... well, Dominate Monster is 9th, so I don't see getting all of them as a likely scenario.
    Unless we got some help from our own resident denizen of Hell? (Gods I'm hoping I didn't just fail a rl Planes roll). I had read the first Chortan's when the recruitment was still going, Heather has got some ridiculous charm skills (not to say Darshee doesn't). Since she is a Succubus, could there be a chance for a friendlier encounter if she's leading the diplomacy?

21. - Top - End - #471
    Colossus in the Playground

Unless we got some help from our own resident denizen of Hell? (Gods I'm hoping I didn't just fail a rl Planes roll). I had read the first Chortan's when the recruitment was still going, Heather has got some ridiculous charm skills (not to say Darshee doesn't). Since she is a Succubus, could there be a chance for a friendlier encounter if she's leading the diplomacy?
    Heather comes from the abyss.

So she's probably the worst option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

22. - Top - End - #472

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Heather comes from the abyss.

So she's probably the worst option.
    Damn......natural 1 on a RL KnowPlanes check...

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Damn......natural 1 on a RL KnowPlanes check...
    Oh, I could probably use diplomancy - even picked up a set of Authoritative Vestments I could charge up right now - but... ah... trying to cut a deal with some devils who apparently downed a starship they were on after getting everyone inside killed (or maybe in the process of, but that hardly matters...) is probably not a wise choice.

24. - Top - End - #474

BarbarianGuy

Oh, I could probably use diplomancy - even picked up a set of Authoritative Vestments I could charge up right now - but... ah... trying to cut a deal with some devils who apparently downed a starship they were on after getting everyone inside killed (or maybe in the process of, but that hardly matters...) is probably not a wise choice.
    Good point, It'll probably be best to take them out. I'm more worried about the Oozes personally. Squishy things........punches don't really affect them, and I doubt a Web could hold one

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Good point, It'll probably be best to take them out. I'm more worried about the Oozes personally. Squishy things........punches don't really affect them, and I doubt a Web could hold one
    There I'll be able to use Corrupting Touch... and oozes generally have really low AC.

26. - Top - End - #476

BarbarianGuy

Hey Guys, I'm going to have to drop out for now, something is up so I'm not going to be on for awhile. I wish you guys the best of luck!

27. - Top - End - #477

Imp

That's unfortunate, but hopefully we'll be able to go on.

As for the game itself, I'm gonna go ahead and cast Communal Resist Energy to give everyone who wants it Resist Energy 30 against Ice/Cold damage.

EDIT: Looking at the map, it looks like our first enemy is likely to be the Plasma Ooze and the Etheric Jellies. Do we have a gameplan?

The thing is immune to Bludgeoning & Piercing Damage, and splits when faced with slashing or sonic damage. So what's the plan, exactly?

Do we split it up as much as possible and then hit it with a giant AoE damage spell? If so, I can fire off a bunch of sonic damage attacks in a Barrage. If somebody has like, a massive damage Fireball followup, we can clear it pretty easily.

That said, this thing is dangerous, and we don't know what alterations the GM has made to it. It's also immune to a LOT of different stuff. If it's immune to our major AoE spell, then we would have made a LOT of enemies that have the exact same statistics as the original creature, only with less health.

Chances are that it's safer, though a lot less efficient, to simply whittle it down with a damage type that doesn't cause it to split. But what do you guys think?

For me, I'm thinking that I might need to make multiple Barrage attacks or get out Group Challenge, so I might change my floating feat from Advanced Study to a different Extra Combat Talent. Either the aforementioned Group Challenge, or something like Mobile Focus so I can recover martial focus with a move action rather than with Total Defense.

EDIT2: Either way, I will note that my base mindblade will now deal slashing damage (unless it's in Archmage mode, in which case it's whatever my active energy type is...which I think I will change to fire now that we have some downtime. Note that the element for the Stellar Stompers Veil is set at the beginning of the day when I shape my veils, so its still Sonic damage).
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-03-14 at 09:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

... ah, nobody's interacting with the game world at large at the moment, so Gunhaven has nothing to respond to. Let's fix that.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry to hear that CH. Real life always comes first, though. I'll say you're on guard (or brute force your way in if that option is used).

I will likely get the post up in about 16 hours. There's an airlock with a keypad to control it (located both outside and inside) or you can brute force your way in. Unless y'all wanna go for the oozes/gladiator instead.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

aI may take option 4. Bow much does the door weigh?