Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Chortan's Guild OOC

I'll say it's beyond ripping out range but you could bash it in. The closest I can think of is like a garage door (that's a couple feet thick) that's not really designed to be budged outside of the controls.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

Your understanding is appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven View Post
    I'll say it's beyond ripping out range but you could bash it in. The closest I can think of is like a garage door (that's a couple feet thick) that's not really designed to be budged outside of the controls.
    Keep in mind: Real-world assumptions do not necessarily apply to this party.

See, I wasn't planning on ripping it out. I was just planning on picking it up. I'm incorporeal, so I can reach in through the wall to get a good grip. I've got an Amulet of Grasping Souls, which means I can pick stuff up, and anything I pick up becomes incorporeal. The same amulet sets my effective strength score to my Chaisma score for the purpose, and a Str of 39 puts the max load at over 5,000 pounds. One can pick up as much as twice one's maximum load, which means I can temporarily make incorporeal a 10,000 pound door.

Not that it matters much.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Did we already go in? If so, can somebody tell me what the plan is going to be if we fight the Ooze? I need to know what element to make my active energy type.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe the running plan is to tackle the Ice Devil/Golem first, I had put everyone there. You can tell that the communal resist energy is doing work (son) if you proceed near the wall, as if there's an aura of cold damage radiating from the room that the Ice Guys are in.

There seems to be some muffled speech from the room, as if the Devil is ordering the Golems to do something, and the slight shuffle of movement as they seemingly respond to said orders.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

5. - Top - End - #485

Imp

Aww flark it. I'll just stick with Slashing and Sonic damage. If that makes things worse for the rest of the party, then it's on them. If we're facing the Ice Devil and the Ice Golems first, I'll be emulating the Guardian Path.

Also, there's probably a good chance that they're expecting us. Good on them for making plans with the rest of their party, I suppose.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-03-19 at 11:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground

It's an automatic door but they still seem ready for combat.
    Y'all can piece together that the fighting from earlier alerted everything so that there's minimal surprise involved.
    The automated doors seem to be running on the same emergency power as the lighting and that the ship was designed to not trap people within a potentially deadly wreck (despite everyone being dead).

I'm aiming for generic horror aesthetics for the interior. The only thing missing is suspenseful music over the speakers.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Colossus in the Playground

Should Heather start singing then?
    Last edited by Illven; 2019-03-19 at 11:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

8. - Top - End - #488

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Should Heather start singing then?
    If you mean bardic performance? Sure.

As for me, I think I'll still go ahead and contact the Ice Devil and try to figure out what they're currently doing, and what they want.

To the GM, feel free to add all the extraneous bits of story you might have written for this, but don't feel pressured if you don't have any backstory. We can just go straight into the fighting if need be.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    If you mean bardic performance? Sure.

As for me, I think I'll still go ahead and contact the Ice Devil and try to figure out what they're currently doing, and what they want.

To the GM, feel free to add all the extraneous bits of story you might have written for this, but don't feel pressured if you don't have any backstory. We can just go straight into the fighting if need be.
    If we do go to the fighting, mind overly much if I try to steal the Ice Devil's body? Seems like it might make a nice meatsuit.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

10. - Top - End - #490

Imp

I certainly don't mind. Go right ahead.

EDIT: It's been a while, but I decided to go ahead and start the fight. I'm sure we can handle this without too much issue. Hopefully I get some backup though.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-03-24 at 10:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

Constructs are immune to Necromancy effects and none of the templates (weirdly) don't get rid of it?

In case it isn't immune: (1d20+16)[31]
    How much of you is out of the floor? AKA would you take some aura damage?

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Constructs are immune to Necromancy effects and none of the templates (weirdly) don't get rid of it?

In case it isn't immune: [roll0]
    How much of you is out of the floor? AKA would you take some aura damage?
    I'm targeting the Ice Devil, not the constructs. I probably won't get him, but hey: Shoot for the moon, sometimes you roll a 20. I'm assuming that the Ice Devil is in charge of the constructs. If that's the case, and if I'm the Ice Devil for a few hours, I can give the constructs orders, as it'll be their master giving the orders.

It'll probably ruin Casmer's diplomacy attempt, but that's OK. Cutting a deal with a devil doesn't generally work out well.

And as for being out of the floor:
    Wording is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder SRD
    Malevolence (Su)

The ghostís jealousy of the living is particularly potent. Once per round, the ghost can merge its body with a creature on the Material Plane. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the ghostís Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the ghost must be adjacent to the target. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save. A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same ghostís malevolence for 24 hours.
    I'm adjacent to the target (under the floor, guiding myself via Ring of X-Ray vision).
    I step into the Ice Devil's square as part of the attack.

If he succeeds the Will save, I can't occupy his square, so am returned to the last valid position - under the floor again.
    If he fails the Will save, I am occupying his body, which means I have all of his energy resistances / Immunities for the duration.

Su, so I don't need to worry about concentration. I can soak a bit of damage if needed.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-03-26 at 06:40 AM.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, fair enough. Plus it sounds like you'd avoid the aura damage.

Will Save: (1d20+30)[50]

14. - Top - End - #494

Imp

I would have cast Resist Energy Communal on everyone who didn't have it prior to us coming aboard, for what it's worth.

Also, I noticed that his will save is the same as mine, which is quite impressive. Also impressive is the fact that he rolled a natural 20 on the save.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-03-26 at 02:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, fair enough. Plus it sounds like you'd avoid the aura damage.

Will Save: [roll0]
    And... that's a nat-20. Think it noticed?

16. - Top - End - #496

Imp

Made a mistake, here's my Diplomacy Roll towards the Haunt.

Diplomacy:(1d20+25)[27]

Any information it can share would be great. Telepathy should work well here, since Haunts are represented by Rapping Spirits which are expressely said to be intelligent. They even have the ability to communicate by making noises, which can be interpreted with a Linguistics check. I shouldn't need one with Telepathy, but if I do, here's a roll:

Linguisitics:(1d20+30)[42]

17. - Top - End - #497

Imp

The Haunt is difficult to understand, but I don't think it's stating that the Ice Devil was the one responsible for the crash. Both sides of my gestalt are utilizing Archamage, with the taboo that I can't easily pass up opportunities to learn new non-trivial bits of information. As a result, I'm going to accept the deal with the Devil (with a few caveats), unless anybody has any glaring objections and/or better ideas.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

Do y'all have Comprehend Languages or some way to read an unknown language active?
    I've been operating under the assumption that there isn't anything like that active at the moment.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Colossus in the Playground

Heather does have a tongues effect on herself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Heather does have a tongues effect on herself.
    Likewise. There's no clause that it must be spoken on the comprehension side.

21. - Top - End - #501

Imp

Sorry if I made this less fun for you guys by choosing the diplomatic option.

At any rate, assuming that the Ice Devil doesn't renege on our deal, what more do we really have to do here to complete our mission, destroy the ship?

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll get a post up later today/tonight but I'm thinking one last combat and then we'll be done.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Messed up the touch attack roll: (1d20+15)[34]

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ettin in the Playground

Weird, guess it hates spaces?. C Damage: (21d6+46)[124]
    D Damage: (21d6+46)[118]

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Weird, guess it hates spaces?. C Damage: [roll0]
    D Damage: [roll1]
    It does. It also hates it when you accidentally type /url rather than /roll.

Well, half-damage from corporeal sources, but that's still about 1/4 my HP on a single AoO. Looks like I'll need to up my numbers game for next round. Couldn't touch the first, second was on nat-1 clause only, third one deals over 100 damage on an AoO. OK, well, I've been putting off that +Enh Charisma, but that's still only 3 points of DC. Hmm....
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-04-30 at 06:26 AM.

26. - Top - End - #506

Imp

Did we take that damage before or after we take our first turn? Is that an AOO for movement? Because I can teleport AND make ranged attacks if so (I was planning on hitting this thing with a Barrage, actually).

At any rate, whew, that's a TON of damage, and I'm not sure if I'm totally equipped to deal with this thing.

Let's see,

124 - 7 (electricity resist) - 9 (momentum) - 28 (temp HP) - 42 (Delayed Damage Pool) = 38 lethal damage, 42 Delayed Damage. At the end of my turn the 42 delayed damage becomes nonlethal. HP = 110/148. Okay, so maybe I'm more equipped to deal with this than I thought.

Momentum Pool = 15/16 (assuming it's more of 14/16 though, since Darshee would also be able to use my momentum).

At any rate, looks like prime time to use another Salve. If I have a high amount of temp HP, I should be able to tank most of it's damage. One thing's for sure though, if it does that again before I'm ready, I'll probably fall unconscious. My hp going down by another 30 while my nonlethal increases by another 40 would be more than enough to ensure I go down.

The question now is, do I even have a turn to use Salve, or am I assumed to have made attacks with my turn, or what?

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

@Kaouse:
    Ah, momentum. How much damage can I remove with that?
    Also: Spontaneous caster with 7th level slots and Heal as a 6th level spell over here. Ask for it IC, and that will be my next set of actions. Does that change your estimate?

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ettin in the Playground

It's got a 30ft threat range and movement's required for the door to work / to reach up from the ground and bap it. Now that you're in the room you can teleport around.
    The room itself is a 60ft wide x 50ft long x 40ft tall square.
    The plasma ooze is a 20ft radius sphere 10ft in the air.
    The etheric jellies are all medium sized spheres 30ft in the air.
    Most of the engines are debris at this point and there appears to be another bank of instruments that the ooze is working on dismantling with it's magnetism.

You and Heather do have y'all's turn (Darshee already posted an action and technically Darshee goes after them but I was just going to use the same initiative rolls as the first combat just to make my bookkeeping a little easier). I'll likely get a reply up on Thursday / Friday and try to answer questions before then.

29. - Top - End - #509

Imp

Resilient Momentum takes off damage equal to my casting mod (i.e. my INT mod), which is 9. EDIT: Note that this "reduces the damage of the attack," so it basically applies before reductions.

That said, opening or closing a door doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity.

What would provoke an attack of opportunity though, would be the ranged attacks I was planning on making with Barrage. That said, this thing seemingly gets multiple attacks of opportunity; I'm guessing it has something like Muscular Reflexes, since most oozes lack the DEX to pull off Combat Reflexes, and it made an attack of opportunity before it's initiative, which it would need either Combat Reflexes or one of it's expies that use a different stat in order to pull off. In other words, if I try a Barrage while I'm in it's range, it'll probably shred right through me. I might be able to take 1 of those attacks, but I certainly can't take 2 on the same turn, that's for sure.

Well, at least, not without switching feats for a way to make ranged attacks without provoking. I'll have to check what floating feats I currently have active, though.

EDIT: The floating feats I have are the following:

Secret Techniques: Extra Combat Talent: Barrage Sphere
    Champion Monomyth (3 CP): Combat Reflexes (Feats from a List)
    Protagonist Portrayal (Guardian): Combat Reflexes --> Extra Combat Talent: Alchemy Sphere (Salve)
    Protagonist Portrayal (Archmage): Precise Shot (~Associated Feat to Sniper Sphere)

Champion Monomyth (9 CP): Extra Combat Talent: Mass Challenge (Any Combat Feat)

I can spend 3 power points to change out either of the feats from my Champion Monomyth. I'm pretty much always going to keep the 3 CP Champion Monomyth feat at Combat Reflexes, though, since it allows me to replace the Protagonist Portrayal feat with any Combat Feat I choose. Right now, I'll change out Mass Challenge for Close Combat Specialist, which would allow me to make ranged attacks without provoking attacks of opportunity.

So it looks like my turn is just going to be:

Move Action: Open Door
    Standard Action: Spend 3pp, change Mass Challenge to Close Combat Specialist.
    Swift Action: Defender's Oath (Ooze takes a -3 to hit anybody else, and a -3 to DC against any abilities not including me, I get +7 damage vs Ooze)

Sounds decent enough. I am of course assuming that I have yet to get hit with an attack though. Otherwise, I'd have to ask for some healing.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-04-30 at 03:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

On the plus side, if nobody needs a Heal, we've seen that it has a medium fortitude save, so I can start spamming Destruction.

Edit: And... OK, so as to retooling after we're past here... I'll need to retrain to trade out a feat for Heighten Spell (probably Eschew Materials), then pick up a good Reflex & Will save spell via Pages of Spell Knowledge (via UMD if needed). Then I'll need to remember to ask the party knowledge specialist what to target.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-04-30 at 09:31 PM.