Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Chortan's Guild OOC

Should Heather intentionally provoke, since as a tanari she's immune to electricity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Should Heather intentionally provoke, since as a tanari she's immune to electricity?
    Once you know the element being used? Sure. Depending on whether or not the beast has a meaningful brain-analogue, you may soak a lot of the AoO's from that sphere talent, or just a few.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-04-30 at 09:55 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

Slash Crit: (1d20+36)[37]
    Crit Damage: (9d6+13)[54] and (21d6+46)[129]
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

Your understanding is appreciated.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Whew! If it wasn't for that natural 1 confirmation roll, I'd probably be straight up one shot. This thing does an INSANE amount of damage. I would personally like to request some healing this turn. If I get a Heal spell, that should more than patch me up, and hopefully keep me up long enough to deal decent damage to this thing.

At any rate, let's see how much damage I took with that opening attack (note that I'm assuming that the original attack of opportunity for opening the door didn't happen, since opening or closing a door explicitly doesn't provoke in the rules, and otherwise, I'd probably be straight up dead).

42 - 7 (DR) - 9 (Momentum) = 26 damage - 28 temp hp = 2 temp hp
    116 - 7 (Energy Resistance) - 2 (temp hp) - 42 (delayed damage pool) = 65 lethal damage, 42 delayed/nonlethal damage, HP = 83/148, Nonlethal = 42

I don't think momentum applies twice, since both damage instances are from the same attack. That said, I do still have one more defense. That is, my constant singular Mirror Image, from the Host of Hero's Archmage Monomyth. It needs to roll a 1d2. On a 2, it hits me, on a 1 misses but destroys the mirror image, which requires me to expend and regenerate psionic focus (which also recovers my 28 temp HP, by the way).

If it hits, I'm requesting a Heal spell. Either way, we can't win this by defending, so I'm going to try and take this thing out in one round. I'll use Barrage to attack the Ooze with sonic damage. Everytime I damage it, it'll create a copy with equivalent stats, but the remaining HP will be split between itself and the copy. Barrage is a standard action, and if I expend martial focus, I should get 5 attacks at -8 to hit. The first hit will create 2 Oozes. The next 2 can go towards each, producing 4 oozes. This leaves 2 more attacks, which should hopefully hit at least 2 of the 4, producing 6 total, though with 2 having more hp and 4 having significantly less.

After that, I can use the stellar stompers to produce an AoE sonic attack, that should hit every one of the oozes (30 ft radius). Thanks to my Akashic Catalysts, I have the requisite 5 essence to be able to use them not just as a move action, but also as a swift action as well. But alas, the damage is only 6d6, so it's not a particularly huge amount to begin with. Still, if the Ooze split it's hp multiple times prior, it should hopefully be enough.

Of course, in order to use a swift action next round, I cannot use an immediate action in this turn, so I can't increase my touch AC, meaning that all of those Etheric Jellies are going to touch me. Luckily, I also have Stalwart, meaning that as long as I don't roll a natural 1, they won't even damage me.

If this plan succeeds, then we'll win. If it fails, then there will be like 6 separate ooze creatures with equivalent statistics as the original one left behind, meaning that we're likely all going to die horrible and gruesome deaths. No pressure! (Unless splitting it causes it to dissipitate some of that excess energy it's firing off towards us, but I honestly don't even know what that is)
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-05-05 at 05:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

I tried to see if there was any sort of "Blindsight trumps Mirror Image" thing and instead found people arguing for 78 posts and none of them being an official person from paizo. I may look some more later in case there's something. If not then: (1d2)[2]

And nah, no AOO. Just a solid smack. It could chuck more sheet metal but chock it up to testing the waters while also seeing what it's dealing with.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

6. - Top - End - #516

Imp

Okay, so it definitely hit. I'm pretty sure blindsight makes it immune to Mirror Image, by the way. Mirror Image explicitly doesn't do anything if you can't see the caster, and if you have blindsight then you can just close your eyes and ignore it without penalty.

Definitely going to telepathically request a Heal spell, in that case.

I also think that a readied action "Wall" -type spell might be useful, especially if my "Alpha Strike" idea doesn't end up panning out. Alternatively, more AoE damage that it isn't immune to would be nice as well. Seems like fire is the best of the basic elements, here. Some Fireball spells would definitely not be amiss.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

OK. With them splitting up into multiple targets, Destruction wouldn't have been worthwhile anyway. Firestorm maybe. And if you die, well, I can Firestorm next round.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

8. - Top - End - #518

Imp

Now I need to deal with the Etheric Jellies attack.

I could increase my touch AC as an immediate action, but then I won't be able to use another Sound attack as a swift next round.

So, here's my rolls against them. Unless I roll a natural 1, I should be able to take no damage from them since my Fort save is higher than their DC and I have stalwart.

(5d20)[14][15][9][11][16](65)

EDIT: Okay, no natural 1s, so the Etheric Jellies deal zero damage to me. Hopefully they'll be taken care of with the Sonic AoE. If not, I'm giving Darshee full rights to carpet bomb the area.

EDIT 2: Okay, so Darshee healed me. Instead of healing 140 hp, thanks to the effects of The Caged Sun Stance, I heal (140 + (2*3<Essence>))*1.5 = 146*1.5 = 219 hp.

This erases the damage in my delayed damage pool, AND puts me at my maximum amount of temp hp (148, which is equal to my max hp). Not nearly enough to take 6 of these attacks, but certainly better than not having it.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-05-06 at 09:56 AM.

9. - Top - End - #519

Imp

Looks like my third attack was a natural 1. Let's see now. Given that Oozes generally have low AC, I'm assuming that all of those other attacks hit.

This means that attack 1 would do 32 damage to the ooze, and then cause it to split. Assuming that Ooze Prime's HP is X, then Ooze A and Ooze B should have an HP of (X-32)/2 after that attack. Linked Striking also activates, granting bonus damage. Attack 2 then hits Ooze A, dealing 45 damage to it and then splitting off into Ooze A1 and Ooze A2, each with an HP of [((X-32/2)-45)/2]. Attack 3 would miss. Attack 4 would hit Ooze B, dealing 40 damage, and causing it to split up into Ooze B1 and Ooze B2, each with an HP of [((X-32/2)-40)/2]. The final attack, Attack 5, would then hit Ooze A1, and transform it into Ooze A1a and Ooze A1b, each with [((((X-32/2)-45)/2)-32)/2] HP. The total amount of Oozes and the following should be accurate:

Ooze A1a: [((((X-32/2)-45)/2)-32)/2] - 45
    Ooze A1b: [((((X-32/2)-45)/2)-32)/2] - 45
    Ooze A2: [((X-32/2)-45)/2] - 45
    Ooze B1: [((X-32/2)-40)/2] - 45
    Ooze B2: [((X-32/2)-40)/2] - 45

The 45 damage assumes that they all fail both of their reflex saves against Stellar Stompers.

Ooze Prime would need over 610 hp for Ooze A1a and Ooze A1b to still be alive. It would only need about 290 - 300 or so hp for the other oozes to still be alive.

Still, AoE spells should be extremely effective right about now, so go wild, everybody else!

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

The bad news: it baps away Attacks 2 and..4, since that goes after Ooze B. The good news will be later tonight probably, maybe tomorrow in between a meeting and a real life Wrath and Glory game.

As for Dex saves: (12d20)[20][18][4][13][20][18][16][7][8][11][19][15](169) for Jellies
    Round 2 for Jellies: (12d20)[10][10][4][6][13][14][14][8][2][12][2][8](103)

Plasmas... there's 6 of them? (6d20)[2][18][1][5][3][2](31)
    And it's sonic? So..? (12d20)[12][3][20][15][16][19][13][11][6][1][2][5](123)

I'll update the map later tonight...somehow.

11. - Top - End - #521

Imp

So, how did it bap away my attack? Immediate action? Special Ability? Counter? Attack of Opportunity? I'll go ahead an make a Knowledge (martial) check, as well as a Spellcraft check.

Knowledge (Martial): (1d20+30)[33]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+40)[53]

At any rate, the point of each attack was to multiply the Ooze as much as possible in order to increase the effectiveness of my AoE attack .

Attack 1 would split them into A and B. If Attack 2 (aiming at Ooze A) gets negated, attack 3 misses due to a natural 1, attack 4 gets negated, then presumably Attack 5 hits Ooze A, creating Ooze A1 and Ooze A2. So the total number of Ooze clones is 3.

Ooze A1: [((X-32/2)-32)/2] - 45
    Ooze A2: [((X-32/2)-32)/2] - 45
    Ooze B: [(X-32)/2] - 45

Also, what's the save bonus for the Etheric Jellies and Plasma Oozes?

EDIT: I went ahead and specified that I used Quick Change to transform between Guardian and Archmage as a free action on the Living Legend Soulknife side. I can only do it a couple more times today, though. But against such dangerous enemies, I'll make sure to stay in Guardian as much as possible, EXCEPT when making ranged attacks with Archmage.

At any rate, it's gonna take me a round to recharge my martial focus by taking the total defense action. Hopefully I last into the next round. I'll retreat outside on my next turn and maybe attempt to heal myself. Feel free to keep up the offensive pressure on them while I heal.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-05-06 at 04:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground

Both Deflect and Quick Catch to bap away a ranged attack as an immediate action without trying to hold onto it.

3 8 9 10 fail 1
    5 6 7 pass 2
    Or: 4 of the Jellies are barely hanging on, 5 are kind of hurt, and 3 are scratched.

3 fail 1
    10 fail 2
    Or: Two of the new copies likely (I'll fill in the room with plasma oozes soonô) are hurt a little more than the others.

13. - Top - End - #523

Imp

Wait, how many Plasma oozes are there? Are there already 6 separate ones? Do they attack as one? I was under the impression that there was only 1 big one, not 6 smaller ones. That...complicates things a bit...

If there were already 6 separate oozes, then my attacks would go towards each of them...minus one, since I could only make 5 attacks.

EDIT: That said...these oozes split when they experience sonic damage, and my Stellar Stompers are set to deal Sonic damage today, so...basically, they should all split. Twice, since I used it twice. Oh boy. This could be dangerous...
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-05-06 at 04:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty good odds that they split for most energy damage, given that they are dealing electricity damage and split on Sonic. Best bets would be cold and negative energy, as both of those are lacks of energy in terms of RL physics.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ettin in the Playground

So there was 2 big oozes at the start of the round. One of them split all the oozes using Telekinesis the round before (and cracked into Casmar for funsies). Then your barrage split one into six. The sonic damage then splits them s'more (although I hadn't rolled for the 7th). So there's roughly... 28 Plasma Oozes and 12 Etheric Jellies? I'll do something for the space concern...

#7, 13, and 14: (3d20)[17][10][10](37)

16. - Top - End - #526

Imp

I was only going to split one into 6 if all of my attacks hit. But one of them missed, and two were negated, so I only managed to split one into 3, no? Also, we were allowed to see the base Plasma Ooze that the creature was based off of, and we know that they have Resist Cold 30. They're immune to acid and electricity, and only split on sonic and slashing damage. They're also immune to bludgeoning and piercing damage. Fire is one of the few things that they are neither resistant nor immune to. Though Force and Negative Energy should be just as effective, I admit. I just think splitting this thing up to magnify the sonic damage might be the best, but that was before I realized how many we were already dealing with, and how strong each of them individually are.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    I was only going to split one into 6 if all of my attacks hit. But one of them missed, and two were negated, so I only managed to split one into 3, no? Also, we were allowed to see the base Plasma Ooze that the creature was based off of, and we know that they have Resist Cold 30. They're immune to acid and electricity, and only split on sonic and slashing damage. They're also immune to bludgeoning and piercing damage. Fire is one of the few things that they are neither resistant nor immune to. Though Force and Negative Energy should be just as effective, I admit. I just think splitting this thing up to magnify the sonic damage might be the best, but that was before I realized how many we were already dealing with, and how strong each of them individually are.
    Ah, cool. Missed that. Still, we've got a Wizard in the party. Fireball time?

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

I got my numbers way off as well, there's only 12 of them right now.

I'll probably wait until tomorrow between meeting and game to post in case Heather opts to fireball everything.

19. - Top - End - #529

Guess who's a demon and doesn't have fireball prepared.

But I have something that might help.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

20. - Top - End - #530

Imp

Heather, if you're casting Black Tentacles, then you might have to roll a CMB check to actually grapple the Oozes. They are gargantuan size though, so I'm not sure how effective it will be at grappling them, but it might still be enough to hinder them and stop them from attacking us with no real clear line of sight to us. If we're lucky, they might be dumb enough to waste attacks on the tentacles...if such a thing is even possible.

21. - Top - End - #531

Heather, if you're casting Black Tentacles, then you might have to roll a CMB check to actually grapple the Oozes. They are gargantuan size though, so I'm not sure how effective it will be at grappling them, but it might still be enough to hinder them and stop them from attacking us with no real clear line of sight to us. If we're lucky, they might be dumb enough to waste attacks on the tentacles...if such a thing is even possible.
    If they are gargantuan still, how many am I going to get in a fireball. (I assumed they went into a smaller size when they split.)

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

Just to get it out of the way. Their CMD is 54 so probably only nat 20s hit: (6d20)[13][11][3][19][11][6](63)

4 Jellies also attempted to bap Heather and 7 are bapping this time. If you wanna roll saves then ignore these, otherwise: (4d20)[9][16][3][11](39)
    (7d20)[10][20][16][15][9][4][16](90) (minus any misses)

Anything 6 and under is a fail.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ettin in the Playground

E4 Crit against Casmar: (1d20+13)[22]
    (4d6)[16]

E1 and E4 miss Heather. 32 from the first baps, 39 from the second baps, total of 71 if you keep the saves I rolled for you.

24. - Top - End - #534

Imp

If there are 8 attacks heading against me with attack bonuses that hit my AC on a 2, with each attack dealing over 100 damage each, then I'm totally 100% dead.

The most I can do as an immediate action is increase my AC by +5 with the Empower Rally, but that won't block more than 1 attack, and about 3 of them is going to be enough to end me. EDIT: Apparently it was enough to block like, 3 attacks, lol.

Either way, let's see how many I take before I go down, I guess.

Attack #1: 117 - 7 (ER) - 9 (momentum) = 101 damage.

Delayed Damage Pool: 0 --> 42
    Temporary HP: 148 --> 89
    HP : 148

Attack #2: 117 - 7 (ER) - 9 (momentum) = 101 damage.

Temporary HP: 89 --> 0
    HP : 136

Attack #3: Misses due to Empower!

Attack #4: 128 - 7 (ER) - 9 (momentum) = 112 damage.

HP: 136 --> 24

Attack #5: Misses due to Empower!

Attack #6: Misses due to Empower!

Attack #7: 131 - 7 (ER) - 9 (momentum) = 115 damage.

HP: 24 --> -109 HP
    DEAD.

This leaves only attack #8 to go after Heather. Assuming that they weren't all touch attacks, of course. If they were, then I would die after attack 4, and that would leave 4 attacks for Heather. At any rate, I did my best, I guess. After the battle is over, we're definitely going to have to talk about this encounter though.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-05-07 at 07:36 PM.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

DEAD.

This leaves only attack #8 to go after Heather. Assuming that they weren't all touch attacks, of course. If they were, then I would die after attack 4, and that would leave 4 attacks for Heather. At any rate, I did my best, I guess. After the battle is over, we're definitely going to have to talk about this encounter though.
    Let's see...

Breath of Life probably isn't enough to get you back on your feet. I suppose a revenge of Firestorm it is. Hopefully they've readied actions to hit me when I show my face, rather than when I cast something.

That said: This is a D&D 3.5 derivative, and I've prepared for the 'simple death' contingency. If someone's got a nice pile of strength and is willing to lend me their body for Blood Money, I can cast Raise Dead and Greater Restoration (followed by Cleanse on the host).

UMD is an awesome skill, by the way.

Oh well. Probably wouldn't have kept the spell if I'd taken an AoO for casting anyway.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-05-07 at 09:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #536

Question... Can Heather feign an injury?

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a bit on d20pfsrd for unofficial uses of Bluff that includes feigning an injury. The greater issue is the Etheric Jellies turn you into dust if they reduce you to 0.

The attacks are against touch (they can't do the whole metal whip thing with shock added on). Give me the night to ponder it all though, and maybe it'll be one of those "they used Telekinesis so the bludgeon was against normal AC, one was left that used electricity on Heather, Heather fakes dying to that."

The oozes left will be taking the bait and shocking when you pop out the first time.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

Right, getting my stuff together again. They'll target Heather once, she'll bluff (and even a 1 would be enough to fool it with that +49), and leave it be. The three that ready attacks attack Darshee the first time, then she comes back and burns everything.
    Spoiler: Saves in here for funsies
    Show
    Plasma Oozes in groups of 4:
    (1d20+24)[31]
    (1d20+24)[33]
    (1d20+24)[42]
    (1d20+24)[29]

(1d20+24)[38]
    (1d20+24)[32]
    (1d20+24)[38]
    (1d20+24)[41]

(1d20+24)[40]
    (1d20+24)[40]
    (1d20+24)[42]
    (1d20+24)[41]

Etheric Jellies:
    (1d20+11)[26]
    (1d20+11)[25]
    (1d20+11)[12]
    (1d20+11)[31]

(1d20+11)[22]
    (1d20+11)[25]
    (1d20+11)[31]
    (1d20+11)[12]
    (1d20+11)[22]

(1d20+11)[24]
    (1d20+11)[29]
    (1d20+11)[27]

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

Does it change the results if I point out that spells I cast are not from a corporal source?

Per the Incorporeal Quality:
    An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms. Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it takes only half damage from a corporeal source (except for channel energy). Although it is not a magical attack, holy water can affect incorporeal undead. Corporeal spells and effects that do not cause damage only have a 50% chance of affecting an incorporeal creature. Force spells and effects, such as from a magic missile, affect an incorporeal creature normally.
    (emphasis added)

This also means when the ethereal oozes hit me, it hurts more, mind. The Plasma oozes, though, not so much.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-05-22 at 10:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ettin in the Playground

Yerp, it'd do half damage. The Etheric Jellies don't damage undead, constructs, or other non-living gear like clothing. They just hunger for them sweetmeats.

Looking at Heather confirms that they left festering wounds that ate into her flesh.