New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Tactician - PEACH

So this is a work in progress but wanted to get some feedback on what you thought of the ideas, and anything that is glaringly broken.

HIT POINTS
    Hit Dice: d10 per fighter level
    Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution Modifier
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 + your Constitution Modifier

PROFICIENCIES
    Armor: All armor, shields
    Weapons: Simple and Martial Weapons
    Tools: None

Saving Throws: Charisma, Constitution
    Skills: Choose two skills from Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, History, Insight, Intimidation, Persuasion, Perception, and Survival

EQUIPMENT
    You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

Tactician
    Level Proficiency Bonus Features
    1st +2 Beginner Tactics
    2nd +2 Fighting Style, Tactical Sense
    3rd +2 Strategy
    4th +2 Ability Score Improvement
    5th +3 Tactical command
    6th +3 Strategy
    7th +3 Intermediate Tactics
    8th +3 Ability Score Improvement
    9th +4 A step ahead
    10th +4 Strategy
    11th +4 Command expert
    12th +4 Ability Score Improvement
    13th +5 Advanced Tactics
    14th +5 Mental Fortress
    15th +5 Strategy
    16th +5 Ability Score Improvement
    17th +6 Master Commander
    18th +6 Master Tactics
    19th +6 Ability Score Improvement
    20th +6 Strategy

Spoiler: Base Class
    Show
    1 Beginner Tactics
    Choose one of the following abilities:
    Flanking - When you and an ally are within 5ft of the same enemy, you can use the help action as a bonus action so long as you are helping the specified ally.
    Shieldmate - When you are wielding a shield all allies within 5ft of you gain +1 to their ac
    Combat lines - Allies behind you are treated as heavily obscured and you gain heavy obscurment when positioned behind allies.

2 Tactical Sense
    You gain a sense of where your allies are at all times so that you can issue meaningful battle commands. You are aware of location of all friendly creatures within 60ft of you.

2 Fighting Style
    Starting at level 2 you may choose a fighting style from defense, dueling, protection or archery

5 Tactical command
    As a bonus action you can command an ally. They can use their reaction to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Move up to their movement speed, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action as you command.

7 Intermediate Tactics
    Drag to safety - You or an ally you command can drag a prone ally at their full movement speed and do not provoke attacks of opportunities while doing so.
    Hit and Run - You and any ally you command do not provoke attacks of opportunity from any creature you successfully hit with an melee attack.
    High Ground - You and any ally you command make ranged attack rolls with advantage if your are at a higher elevation than your target

9 A Step Ahead
    When it comes to tactics being one step ahead of your opponent is have the battle. You are never surprised and have advantage on initiative checks.

11 Command Expert
    When you use the command action the ally you command can take 2 command actions but he cannot take 2 of the same action.

13 Advanced Tactics
    Back to Back - You and an ally can fight back to back to gain a defensive edge. While you are in this position you or your ally can impose disadvantage on the attack roll when attacked as a reaction.
    Spell and Steel - When you or an ally you command attacks a creature it has disadvantage on its next save against a spell cast before your next turn.

14 Mental Fortress
    You gain Proficiency in Wisdom saves.

17 Master Commander
    When you use the command action you may command 2 allies instead of one. This effect stacks with command expert.

18 Master Tactics
    Hold the line - If you are adjacent to at least one ally you can decide to hold the line. You and your ally become immune to all forced movement and every turn you do not move and remain adjacent to the ally you and your ally gain cummlative +1 bonus to ac to a max of +5. 1/long rest.
    Blitzkrieg - In the first round of combat you may use your command action to command each of your allies. This effect stacks with command expert. 1/long rest.

Spoiler: Strategies
    Show
    Strategy

Traps
    3: Combat traps
    During a long rest you build traps that can be set easily during combat. You may build a number of traps equal to your dexterity modifer.
    You learn 3 traps from the list of options available. As an action you may set a trap. When a creature enters the same space as the trap the traps goes off. You learn another 2 traps at levels 6, 10, 15, and 20.

I dont have the traps created yet, but will be working on them

6: Trap expert
    You gain advanatage on any saving throw made to avoid the effects of a trap. As well you learn to craft traps during a short rest as well as a long one.

10: Improved traps
    Each of your traps can be set to trigger in a 10 ft radius around where the trap is set or to affect all the creatures in a 10ft radius when it goes off.

15: Scavenge
    Anytime you use at least one trap in combat you can scavenge together the parts of your used traps to recover one expended trap after combat.

20: Ambush
    You become adept at laying ambushes and taking advantage of them. Your traps deal double damage to a surprised enemy and anytime you or an ally you command attacks a suprised enemy, you may make one additional attack as part of the action.

Arms
    3: Stances
    As a bonus action you may activate a stance. Once activated it remains until you change stances or have a long or short rest.
    Offensive - When you use the attack action, you may make an attack as a bonus action
    Defensive - When you take the dash or disengage actions you may dodge as a bonus action
    Balanced - When you take the dodge action you may make one attack as a bonus action

6: Pincer Attack
    You know how to cut off an enemies escape by attacking it from both sides. If you and a creature you command both hit the same target the targets speed is reduced to 0 until the start of your next turn.

10: Warning Shout
    When an ally you can see is attacked you may use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You can do this a numnber of times equal to your charisma modifer before taking a long rest.

15: Divide and Conquer
    Anytime you successfully shove a creature it's movement provokes opurtunity attacks as if it had moved willingly.

20: Inspiring Leader
    Your presence inspires allies to keep fighting regardless of the odds against them. Any ally that can see you at the start of it's turn gains temp hp equal to your charisma modifer.

Infiltration
    3: Team Stealth
    You have instructed your team in the art of stealth. You can hide as a bonus action and you and allies you designate can add your charisma modifer to any dexterity(stealth) checks they make if they are within 30ft of you.

6: Silent Takedown
    You have mastered the art of taking down creatures without making any noise. Anytime you or a creature you command reduces a creature to 0hp your position is not revealed as a result of the attack.

10: Code of Silence
    You have sworn to the code of silence and will never sell out your team or reveal secret information. You gain immunity to the charmed condition. You cannot be compelled to tell the truth by any means and magic cannot be used to reveal if your words are true.

15: Lay of the Land
    Anytime you infiltrate a place you plan ahead learning the lay of the land and how best to overcome it's obstacles. You gain advantage on all strength athletics checks made to jump or climb if you spend 1 minute studying the obstacle.

20: Cloak of Shadows
    As an action you enshroud your allies in shadows. You and each ally becomes invisible for 1 minute and each ally within 30ft of you can immediately use their reaction to hide. Once you use this ability you can't use it again until you complete a short or long rest. An creature under the affects of this ability becomes visible if it attacks or casts a spell.
    Last edited by clash; 2017-04-18 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Formatetd table

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tactician - PEACH

Not sure how I feel about the Traps archetype, but the base class and its other two archetypes are looking mighty sharp. Tactical Sense might be a little OP, even if you restrict it to 30 feet (I'm not sure), but that was about the only thing I could see that was too much. Oh, and Stances of the Arms Tactician. It's awesome, but maybe too good.

Otherwise, here's a link to the preset class tables I built, feel free to use them to clean things up a bit. Find a picture for this guy, it's the best 5e "Warlord," I've seen in a while.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    Not sure how I feel about the Traps archetype, but the base class and its other two archetypes are looking mighty sharp. Tactical Sense might be a little OP, even if you restrict it to 30 feet (I'm not sure), but that was about the only thing I could see that was too much. Oh, and Stances of the Arms Tactician. It's awesome, but maybe too good.

Otherwise, here's a link to the preset class tables I built, feel free to use them to clean things up a bit. Find a picture for this guy, it's the best 5e "Warlord," I've seen in a while.
    Can you edit that to have the code in spoilers for easy copying? It'd help quite a bit. Because not everyone knows you can copy from quoted tables, and some people don't feel like locating the code from quotes that have 5 1-20 tables.
    Last edited by Morphic tide; 2017-04-13 at 11:59 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGuy

Thanks for the excellent feedback. I read a lot of other 5e warlord and tactician classes but I always felt it should be more like this so I decided to try my hand at it.

For the traps archetype are you thinking it isn't balanced or that you just don't like the style? I always liked the idea of a trapsmith laying down traps before or mid combat and luring eneimes through them. I felt it was a fit with the tactician but it's not for everyone.

Can you explain to me what makes tactical sense powerful. I had designed tactical sense as more of a situational fluff type feature then a strong combat one. Generally speaking if enemies are not hidden from you, you already no their location. This was moreso for people using a grid, the tactician can know what his allies and enemies are doing just around the corner to give them orders without metagaming. Is there an exploit I missed? In which case I can add condition or reword to my intent.

The stances in Arms can be strong, but it was kinda my replacement for an extra attack feature on the arms tactician. I felt it was balanced from the fact that 2 levels later you gain tactical command and cant gain the benefits of both on the same turn so it was more options when you don't want to command allies. Would this be better if I switched it with pincer attack so you only got it at level 6? I kinda wanted to have the archetype defining features at 3.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Can you edit that to have the code in spoilers for easy copying? It'd help quite a bit. Because not everyone knows you can copy from quoted tables, and some people don't feel like locating the code from quotes that have 5 1-20 tables.
    I'm not sure how to do what you're saying without breaking the code.

Quote Originally Posted by clash View Post
    For the traps archetype are you thinking it isn't balanced or that you just don't like the style? I always liked the idea of a trapsmith laying down traps before or mid combat and luring eneimes through them. I felt it was a fit with the tactician but it's not for everyone.
    Balance seems fine, yeah, it's more just I'm not sure it jives with the fluff. Definitely not for everyone, you're right, but who I am to judge?

Can you explain to me what makes tactical sense powerful. I had designed tactical sense as more of a situational fluff type feature then a strong combat one. Generally speaking if enemies are not hidden from you, you already no their location. This was moreso for people using a grid, the tactician can know what his allies and enemies are doing just around the corner to give them orders without metagaming. Is there an exploit I missed? In which case I can add condition or reword to my intent.
    For one it's essentially auto-on See Invisibility as long as the invisible creature isn't hiding. It also seems to let you know there are creatures around corners, behind walls/doors, etc, as long as they aren't hiding, which seems pretty common in dungeons, and seems to include "seeing" through fog or other obscurement effects. In fact, it also seems to let you pinpoint the location of creatures in total, magical darkness too.

The stances in Arms can be strong, but it was kinda my replacement for an extra attack feature on the arms tactician. I felt it was balanced from the fact that 2 levels later you gain tactical command and cant gain the benefits of both on the same turn so it was more options when you don't want to command allies. Would this be better if I switched it with pincer attack so you only got it at level 6? I kinda wanted to have the archetype defining features at 3.
    Eh... I wouldn't switch those features, and it's probably fine. Like you said "archetype defining."
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2017-04-13 at 12:11 PM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

For one it's essentially auto-on See Invisibility as long as the invisible creature isn't hiding. It also seems to let you know there are creatures around corners, behind walls/doors, etc, as long as they aren't hiding, which seems pretty common in dungeons, and seems to include "seeing" through fog or other obscurement effects. In fact, it also seems to let you pinpoint the location of creatures in total, magical darkness too.
    Ah I see the confusion here. This ability wasn't intended to give you more than you can achieve with normal perception. Typically if someone isn't hidden from you you know there general location even when invisible or in darkness. That is why you can target them with attacks albeit at disadvantage. If I reword it to clarify that it works the same, and restrict it down to 30ft would that be balanced?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure how to do what you're saying without breaking the code.
    There's a tag to do it. The standard code brackets with CODE in them surrounding other code cancels out the code to display the actual code text. Ironically, it doesn't work with the tag itself. Just use [X][/X], replacing X with CODE.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Flanking is too much. That's effectively free advantage for you and a buddy from level 1 onwards.

Tactical Sense technically doesn't do anything by RAW. You're already aware of all creatures. Unless this is supposed to apply even behind total cover, like through a wall? In which case, I'm not sure.

Back to Back is too strong. It's effectively free dodge for no penalty.

Balanced Stance is too strong for levels three and four. You can dodge at absolutely no penalty, since you only get one attack. And even at higher levels, I'm a bit iffy on it. Edit: You never get extra attack. That makes this far too powerful for all levels.

Team Stealth needs a distance limitation.

Overall, seems good, but balanced a bit too much on the high side.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2017-04-15 at 01:28 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

For flanking what if I instead allowed bonus action help that way it still comes with a cost and only affects one attack.

Tactical sense I might just replace. It was mostly supposed to be thematic but it seems to be problematic.

For back to back what if you could impose disadvantage as a reaction. Would that work better?

As for balanced stance it uses your bonus action so at level 3 and 4 you are giving up your own bonus action attack from the offensive stance. After level 5 you are giving up tactical sense which will likely be where the bulk of your damage comes from. So you have to need to defense for it to be worth using.
    Last edited by clash; 2017-04-15 at 09:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

Updated flanking and back to back to require relevant action types.

Updated team stealth to 30ft range.

Updated Tactical sense to only where allies are within 60ft even if they are hidden.