A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Bat Out of Hell (Resurrection feats)

    Powerful feats with hefty prerequisites, to say the least. Generous DMs might grant them as bonus feats to offset level loss from being raised.
    Fear the Inferno [General]
    You died a sinner and have since returned. You are driven to escape the fate you now know awaits you in the afterlife - or to return to it as a ruler.

    Prerequisites
    Character that died while evil-aligned and received the benefit of a raise dead, resurrection, or similar effect

    Benefit
    An instant in the Outer Planes lasts an eternity, and you are now intimately acquainted with the denizens and tortures of the afterlife. You gain a +10 insight bonus on all Knowledge (the planes) checks and may attempt such checks untrained.

    You have returned with a new facility for manipulating others and avoiding mortal danger, as you plot to escape the immortal danger awaiting you. You gain a +2 feat bonus to your Charisma and Dexterity scores.

    Finally, though your flesh is mortal once more your soul has long since become inured to the flames of the pit. You gain fire resistance equal to your character level. This stacks will all other sources of fire resistance you possess.

    Special
    Although you must have been evil-aligned at the time of your death to meet the prerequisites for this feat, you need not be evil after your return (and in fact could reasonably be expected to do good works in the hopes of going to the Upper Planes the next time you meet a sticky end).
    Seen The Light [General]
    You died a hero and have since returned. You have a newfound tranquility, or perhaps long to return to your well-earned rest.

    Prerequisites

    Character that died while good-aligned and received the benefit of a raise dead, resurrection, or similar effect

    Benefit

    An instant in the Outer Planes lasts an eternity, and you are now well-acquainted with the peace and the pleasures of the afterlife. You gain a +10 insight bonus on all Knowledge (the planes) checks and may attempt such checks untrained.

    You have returned with a remarkable serenity and self-assuredness. You gain a +2 feat bonus to your Charisma and Wisdom scores.

    Finally, though your flesh is mortal once more your soul has long since learned not to fear the glory of the heavens. You gain electricity resistance equal to your character level. This stacks with all other sources of electricity resistance you possess.

    Special
    Although you must have been good-aligned at the time of your death to meet the prerequisites for this feat, you need not be good after your return (and in fact could reasonably be expected to become embittered about your return to the mortal domain).
    Last edited by rferries; 2017-04-18 at 05:54 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: Bat Out of Hell (Resurrection feats)

    Nifty, and could be given by a DM for free for any character that meets the prerequisites once they come back to life. It should be stated that it stacks with all other forms of similar resistance to prevent arguments.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013

    Default Re: Bat Out of Hell (Resurrection feats)

    There's three issues I have here:

    1. You accidentally labelled the thread as a 3.X Class thread.

    2. Only two of them, when you have 9 alignments to work with.

    3. The bonuses given don't leave much chance for filling out the chart.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bat Out of Hell (Resurrection feats)

    Quote Originally Posted by AOKost View Post
    Nifty, and could be given by a DM for free for any character that meets the prerequisites once they come back to life. It should be stated that it stacks with all other forms of similar resistance to prevent arguments.
    Righto, and thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    There's three issues I have here:

    1. You accidentally labelled the thread as a 3.X Class thread.

    2. Only two of them, when you have 9 alignments to work with.

    3. The bonuses given don't leave much chance for filling out the chart.
    1. Gah sorry, my mistake. Fixed!

    2. They're meant to be broad, covering all the Evil and Good alignments. I ran out of steam quite quickly when it came to the Chaotic and Lawful afterlives... i.e. are PCs haunted/thrilled by the bureaucracy that awaits them? Do they miss the croaking of the Slaadi?:D Feel free to chip in any ideas!

    3.I don't quite get your meaning. PCs' character sheets, or the alignment chart?

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bat Out of Hell (Resurrection feats)

    My only thing with this is that these two feats are really easy to qualify with a good backstory before the game if your gm let's that happen, and you could get both which would be a solid boon to many caster types.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013

    Default Re: Bat Out of Hell (Resurrection feats)

    Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    2. They're meant to be broad, covering all the Evil and Good alignments. I ran out of steam quite quickly when it came to the Chaotic and Lawful afterlives... i.e. are PCs haunted/thrilled by the bureaucracy that awaits them? Do they miss the croaking of the Slaadi?:D Feel free to chip in any ideas!
    It's that you can't just say that. Like, the Lawful Evil afterlife is a cruel meritocracy that the people going into it are usually fine with because it's just about what they sought in life. Maybe they don't want to go back by dying because they want to start off fairly high up, which the transformation into a Petitioner-equivalent doesn't really let happen. Unless you have massive loads of non-class-level dependant power, at least.

    My ideas are mostly mechanical, really. Like, have the +2 bonuses tied to alignment. Law to Chaos getting the mental, while Good to Evil get the physical. Constitution for Good, because of Positive Energy, Strength for Evil because it's destructive by definition and Dexterity for Neutral because of lack of better fit and the Law and Chaos axis is best described as "confusing."

    For Law, I'd go with Intelligence, because of the whole "logic" thing. Chaos'd be best served as Charisma because Wisdom is too Lawful, and is attached to the idea of sanity. And Bards are Charisma based. Chaos doesn't care about sanity. Neutral for Wisdom because it's usually wise to not get in the way of Good vs Evil because that's where high-level Adventurers end up. And because you need to abandon such worldly matters as "morality" to achieve enlightenment in a lot of philosophies/religions.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bat Out of Hell (Resurrection feats)

    Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    It's that you can't just say that. Like, the Lawful Evil afterlife is a cruel meritocracy that the people going into it are usually fine with because it's just about what they sought in life. Maybe they don't want to go back by dying because they want to start off fairly high up, which the transformation into a Petitioner-equivalent doesn't really let happen. Unless you have massive loads of non-class-level dependant power, at least.

    My ideas are mostly mechanical, really. Like, have the +2 bonuses tied to alignment. Law to Chaos getting the mental, while Good to Evil get the physical. Constitution for Good, because of Positive Energy, Strength for Evil because it's destructive by definition and Dexterity for Neutral because of lack of better fit and the Law and Chaos axis is best described as "confusing."

    For Law, I'd go with Intelligence, because of the whole "logic" thing. Chaos'd be best served as Charisma because Wisdom is too Lawful, and is attached to the idea of sanity. And Bards are Charisma based. Chaos doesn't care about sanity. Neutral for Wisdom because it's usually wise to not get in the way of Good vs Evil because that's where high-level Adventurers end up. And because you need to abandon such worldly matters as "morality" to achieve enlightenment in a lot of philosophies/religions.
    Yes, in this case I was throwing all the various afterlives together really. The general idea was that after having a taste of the Nine Hells, the Abyss, etc people wouldn't really be eager to go back, vice versa for the celestial planes, and they get an equally broad feat bonus. I originally had even more buffs for the feats - e.g. Strength +2 for the evil feat as you suggested but that was getting a bit too unbalanced, though I may revisit the idea.

    However, the trouble with making the feats too specific with respect to planes/alignment/ability scores was 1) encourages min-maxing and 2) would require a lot of work :D. I'd feel obligated to make one for each plane - e.g. one for the 7 Heavens that granted archon traits, etc. etc.

    This is not to say I disagree with you, I just don't feel up to it at the moment. The spirit is willing, the flesh is weak, haha.
    Last edited by rferries; 2017-04-18 at 05:59 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bat Out of Hell (Resurrection feats)

    Quote Originally Posted by nikkoli View Post
    My only thing with this is that these two feats are really easy to qualify with a good backstory before the game if your gm let's that happen, and you could get both which would be a solid boon to many caster types.
    Certainly a possibility, though I imagine that would be subject to DM approval. Same as "I'm actually a venerable human with +3 to all my mental ability scores but just yesterday a kind god restored my youth, so I don't have any physical ability score penalties. Ready to start adventuring now!" :D

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: Bat Out of Hell (Resurrection feats)

    For reasons Nikkoli posted of easily qualifying for both might I suggest a single feat with varying benefits. You can only pick from places you've been, like a half-dragon picking their parentage. Additionally, it would allow for you to add as you come up with them and grant you the ability to add a clause like, "If plane is not listed use most similar plane by DM discretion." As long as you cover the 9 major ones you'll have a solid base.

    My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Bat Out of Hell (Resurrection feats)

    My instincts tells me that the bonuses are pretty big. A +10 bonus on a skill? The skill focus feat is +4 and doesn't offer other bonuses.
    Flavorful though.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bat Out of Hell (Resurrection feats)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jirachi View Post
    My instincts tells me that the bonuses are pretty big. A +10 bonus on a skill? The skill focus feat is +4 and doesn't offer other bonuses.
    Flavorful though.
    I had also considered making it only knowledge checks relating to that specific afterlife, perhaps that would be better.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Default Re: Bat Out of Hell (Resurrection feats)

    Just for fun...

    One Light, One Law [General]
    You died a staunch proponent of Law and have since returned. You have a newfound brilliance, inspired by your sojourn in the Clockwork Nirvana.

    Prerequisites
    Character that died while Lawfully-aligned and received the benefit of a raise dead, resurrection, or similar effect

    Benefit
    An instant in the Outer Planes lasts an eternity, and you are now well-acquainted with the order and the perfection of the afterlife in Mechanus. You gain a +10 insight bonus on all Knowledge (the planes), Knowlege (Law and legal codes), and Knowledge (Arcana) checks and may attempt such checks untrained.

    You have returned with a remarkable clarity of mind and deep knowledge of your place in the scheme of things. You gain a +2 feat bonus to your Intelligence and Wisdom scores.

    Finally, though your flesh is mortal once more your soul resonates to the measured resilience of the clockwork of Creation. You gain damage reduction equal to your character level. This DR is defeated by the attacks of magical weapons and chaotic opponents. (EG: A fifth level character with this feat possesses DR 5/chaos and magic.

    Special
    Although you must have been lawfully-aligned at the time of your death to meet the prerequisites for this feat, you must retain your lawful alignment after your return to retain your attunement to the purity of Law. Straying from a Lawful Neutral alignment, wether along the moral or ethical axis results in the loss of all benifits of One Light, One Law until the fallen character recieves the benifit of Atonement.


    Blood and Soul for Xaos! [General]
    You died a rebel to the core and have since been dragged back to life in the dull, staid, fixed realms of drab mortality. You have a newfound fire, or perhaps long to return to your soul's ever-changing and eternal abode.

    Prerequisites
    Character that died while chaotic-aligned and received the benefit of a raise dead, resurrection, or similar effect

    Benefit
    An instant in the Outer Planes lasts an eternity, and you are now well-acquainted with the everchanging vistas and the wild pleasures of the chaotic afterlife. You gain a +10 insight bonus on all Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (Art) and Bluff checks and may attempt such checks untrained.

    You have returned with a remarkable joie de vivre and self-assertion. You gain a +2 feat bonus to your Charisma and Constitution scores.

    Finally, though your flesh is mortal once more your soul has long since learned not to fear the maelstrom of sweetest chaos. You gain fast healing equal to 1 per 5 character levels. This fast healing is defeated by the attacks of Lawful weapons and outsiders. (Eg a 5th level character with Blood and Soul for Xaos! would possess fast healing 1/law.)


    And for those that wonder 'One Light, One Law!' is the ceremonial chant of Michael Moorcock's Million-Spheres universe's Law worshippers as the carry out its draconian severities with mathematical exactitude. 'Blood and souls for (patron's name) ! was the battlecry of the Chaos sects in the same setting.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bat Out of Hell (Resurrection feats)

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayhoss View Post
    Just for fun...

    One Light, One Law [General]
    You died a staunch proponent of Law and have since returned. You have a newfound brilliance, inspired by your sojourn in the Clockwork Nirvana.

    Prerequisites
    Character that died while Lawfully-aligned and received the benefit of a raise dead, resurrection, or similar effect

    Benefit
    An instant in the Outer Planes lasts an eternity, and you are now well-acquainted with the order and the perfection of the afterlife in Mechanus. You gain a +10 insight bonus on all Knowledge (the planes), Knowlege (Law and legal codes), and Knowledge (Arcana) checks and may attempt such checks untrained.

    You have returned with a remarkable clarity of mind and deep knowledge of your place in the scheme of things. You gain a +2 feat bonus to your Intelligence and Wisdom scores.

    Finally, though your flesh is mortal once more your soul resonates to the measured resilience of the clockwork of Creation. You gain damage reduction equal to your character level. This DR is defeated by the attacks of magical weapons and chaotic opponents. (EG: A fifth level character with this feat possesses DR 5/chaos and magic.

    Special
    Although you must have been lawfully-aligned at the time of your death to meet the prerequisites for this feat, you must retain your lawful alignment after your return to retain your attunement to the purity of Law. Straying from a Lawful Neutral alignment, wether along the moral or ethical axis results in the loss of all benifits of One Light, One Law until the fallen character recieves the benifit of Atonement.


    Blood and Soul for Xaos! [General]
    You died a rebel to the core and have since been dragged back to life in the dull, staid, fixed realms of drab mortality. You have a newfound fire, or perhaps long to return to your soul's ever-changing and eternal abode.

    Prerequisites
    Character that died while chaotic-aligned and received the benefit of a raise dead, resurrection, or similar effect

    Benefit
    An instant in the Outer Planes lasts an eternity, and you are now well-acquainted with the everchanging vistas and the wild pleasures of the chaotic afterlife. You gain a +10 insight bonus on all Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (Art) and Bluff checks and may attempt such checks untrained.

    You have returned with a remarkable joie de vivre and self-assertion. You gain a +2 feat bonus to your Charisma and Constitution scores.

    Finally, though your flesh is mortal once more your soul has long since learned not to fear the maelstrom of sweetest chaos. You gain fast healing equal to 1 per 5 character levels. This fast healing is defeated by the attacks of Lawful weapons and outsiders. (Eg a 5th level character with Blood and Soul for Xaos! would possess fast healing 1/law.)


    And for those that wonder 'One Light, One Law!' is the ceremonial chant of Michael Moorcock's Million-Spheres universe's Law worshippers as the carry out its draconian severities with mathematical exactitude. 'Blood and souls for (patron's name) ! was the battlecry of the Chaos sects in the same setting.
    I like 'em! :)

    Looking back at these now, I think I might make them into templates instead. In place of losing a level due to death, you would gain LA+1 fromthe template (which you could buy off).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •