New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Your skills are needed

OK, so heres the deal. We are starting a 3.5 adventure and the dungeon master has given the group a treat. There are so many options that I am a little dumbfounded as to what to choose. I will tell you what we can and cannot use and then the other players.

Races / Templets / Levels:
    Open races anything goes, the same with templets, however I am allowed a total of 8 levels to use between the two, and afterwords a total of 20 gestalt character levels. If race and templet exceed 8 they are deducted from the 20 character levels.

Classes: Again anything goes and all are gestalts at level 20 unless racial/templets levels exceed 8. All D20 sourcebooks are available as long as they can be researched and verified by the DM.

Stats: The base of all characters stats are 18 across the board so STR: 18 DEX: 18 CON: 18 INT: 18 WIS: 18 CHA: 18. Addition and subtraction of ability scores are normal for racial or templet adjustments.

Not Wanting: Not an overbearing game breaking amount of cheese. I am hapy with rule pressing and bending but not breaking lol. I am also not wanting Factotum or mainstream Spellcasters.

Equiptment, Magical Items and Gold: All mudane non magical items and equiptment are free as for the parties curent level we assume these items have been purchased. Items may be Masterwork. We have 1,000,000 gold which we can use to buy any magical items, or adjust current magical items. We are alowed our choice of any 4 Major magical items. No Epic feats or gear .

Source Books: Any D20 book with the exception of D20 modern books.

Adventuring Party: Will post as soon as I find out.
    1. Me

This is all the info I have currently, Astonish me :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Your skills are needed

I'm not much of a builder, but...Favored Soul//Binder? The Favored Soul has that stupid split casting, and with these stats, it's not much of an annoyance. The Binder system is very different, which may or may not be to your liking.

I don't know if no mainstream casters means no PHB casters, no Vanican casters, or full casters, so apologies if you didn't want a full caster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Half celestial half dragon paladin.
    It's the only way to fly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Lars the Despicable:

10th level Ex-Paladin/Rogue, 10th level Blackguard/Assassin. Cash in the ex-paladin levels for extra blackguard benefits.

Half-Dragon (black dragon) ghost of a grey elf. Invest in ghost touch weapons and armour.

Oh, you have to be evil.
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2017-04-19 at 09:52 PM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

What party role do you want to fill? With this much leniency tell us a concept
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Devil

Ardent/Cleric for the Save Point Trick (Imbue with Spell Like Ability (Status) on Psicrystal, Forced Dream then Time Hop it into the future, if it can't get in contact with you, it reverts time until the start of the round, which for the Psicrystal is just before you Time Hopped it. Combine with Divine Metamagic for fun and profit. Improve your Charisma by being an Outsider and use that to Metamorphose into a Visilight, and Metamorphic Transfer the ability to train Charisma. Summon Astral Constructs, Drain their Charisma daily, and use that to get free Metamagic Casts.

Alternatively, Wu Jen/Icantatrix/Archmage to have Metamagic effect trigger on even the Psionic abilities. Pick up Competition Domain for Divine Power and Persistomancy, and gain SLA Miracle 3 times, and SLA Body Outside Body 2x.

Edit; To Clarify, just use all of your spellslots and Power Points for Buff spells, which you then turn into your "standard stats".
    Last edited by Vaz; 2017-04-19 at 11:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

No main-line spell caster, eh?

How about the ultimate skill monkey? Paragon (Epic Level Handbook template LA usually set at +15) Rogue 13/Marshal 13.

All ability scores start at 18+15 = 33, with 3 floating points from class levels.

You start with 19 skill points per level, so you can pretty much maximize them all. Your abilities add at least +11 and you get a +10 competence bonus on all skills, so you start at +37 on every skill roll

From the Marshal class, pick the aura for Dexterity - it grants initiative bonuses to your allies equal to that +11 or higher Dex bonus that you have. By itself, this is crazy unbalanced ... but you share it with the entire party.

Your attack with a basic longsword is +13/+8/+3 from Marshal , +11 (or more) from Strength, +25 from Paragon, netting +29/+24/+19 before any other bonuses, at a damage output of d8 +11 (Strength) +20 (Paragon) per hit.

Hit points are (10 [Marshal, maximized by Paragon] +12 [Paragon] +11 [Constitution]) * 13 = 429 to start.

Armor class while wearing just clothing is 10 (base) + 11 [Dex] + 12+12+5 [Paragon: Insight, Luck, Natural] = 50

All of that with only spending 2 gold pieces buying that longsword.

Your primary weakness will be mobility - acquiring gear that allows flight would be useful.

If you want something more complicated, swap Marshal for Crusader from the Tome of Battle. Or pick up Monk. A Monk normally suffers because they have so many attributes that they want at high values ... as a paragon with 33 in every attribute, that is not a problem for you.
    Last edited by Coventry; 2017-04-19 at 11:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Post Re: Your skills are needed

Do you consider psion a mainline caster? Just go straight Psion and you'll be fine. Or psion/psychic warrior.

Otherwise...If casting is a no-no...a gestalt Swordsage/Warblade is amazingly fun for a martial. Or warblade rogue if you want more skill options and a touch of subtlety.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Hatchling Phaerimm (download the pdf, it's on the last few pages). This has a +2 LA, its one racial HD gets replaced by your first class level, and you get Sorcerer spellcasting of a level equal to your total hit dice, which includes hit dice from class levels. That means as a 20th level character, you automatically have Sorcerer 20 spellcasting in addition to whatever gestalt classes you take. Throw on +6 worth of templates such as a variant Half-Fiend that gets a crazy Cha bonus, Phrenic Creature, etc. and stack a bunch of Charisma-to-Bonus dips (example) on one side of the gestalt with another Cha-based spellcasting (Bard into Sublime Chord, Favored Soul, Wilder, etc.) on the other side.

Water Orc, Feral, Half-Minotaur (Dragon 313), Half-Goristro, Lolth-Touched, Mineral Warrior: Medium > Large > Huge for total stat bonuses of Str +44, Dex -6, Con +32, Int -10, Wis -2, Cha -4, with I think +21 natural armor, two slam attacks that add 1.5x Str to damage, two claws, a gore attack, pounce with two rake attacks, rend, improved grab, fast healing, DR 10/Cold Iron and 8/Adamantine, SR, a burrow speed, and tons of other benefits. Go Warblade 20 with ten gestalt levels of War Hulk from Miniatures Handbook (+20 Str, every attack you make hits every opponent in reach), probably a few Fighter levels, probably a Binder dip and maybe some Totemist and/or Hulking Hurler. With +5 Str from levels, +5 from Wish/Manual of Strength, and a +6 item, that's a strength score of 98 for a +44 bonus.

Unbodied has a +4 LA with four racial HD that give four levels of Psion manifesting, so take those four HD as gestalt levels like it's a class and get four more points of LA. Use that variant Half-Fiend I already linked twice based on an Arcanaloth in MM2 listed under Yugoloth which would get Dex +4, Int +8, Cha +4. You can take Psion (Telepath) and prestige classes to advance your racial manifesting ability, and take something like Beguiler (PH2) with Eschew Materials for your gestalt class. Spend as much WBL as possible on Wishes or Tomes to increase your ability scores, and get Vow of Poverty at 15th or 18th level since you can't really use equipment as an incorporeal creature. Pick up any Incarnum feat plus Midnight Augmentation with Bestow Power to be able to recharge your power points, and get Persistent Power from the 3.0 Psionics Handbook which is still 3.5-legal since that feat was never reprinted, along with Overchannel to have a bunch of persistent buffs on you constantly. Consider also taking Vow of Peace and Vow of Nonviolence, since Beguiler gets a lot of nonlethal damage spells and it boosts your DCs, and your character will be the ultimate manipulator.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Not exactly a power build but thematically Hexblade/Warlock could go together.

I have heard good things about mixing Soulborn and Soul Knife, although I don't know if that is enough oomph for a gestalt game.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wow...

I was actually experimenting with something like this today.

Race: Changeling (just 'cause I like 'em so much)
    Templates: Half-Celestial, Phrenic, Saint (remember, you can't take Saint until level 6... which is important since it increase your Int, thus your skill points per level after you take it).
    Vow of Poverty at level 18... or even 20, if you don't care about 1 extra Exalted Feat.
    Then you mix a bunch of classes... Warblade-2/Changeling Feat Rogue-2 (who needs sneak attack, bonus feats ftw!) to start. Then Swordsage-1/Crusader-1, Monk-1/Crusader-2, Monk-2/Warshaper-1, Swordsage-2/Warshaper-2. Throw 2 levels of Fighter in (hit & run fighter for more bonus!) for a few more feats.

Then you jump into Master of Nine & Kensai. Later in the build, jump into Shadow Sun Ninja & Fist of the Forest. Might be worth it to grab a level or two of Marshal for Auras, since your stats are going to be through the roof. Heck, convince everyone to do it so that you all can motivate different things!

Be sure to shuffle your levels (like I showed in the beginning) so that one of the sides of your gestalt is giving +1 BAB every level.

Be sure to grab Kung Fu Genius as your first level Monk Bonus Feat.

In the end you'll have Wis-to-AC x2 (one is an insight bonus from Saint, so it stacks), Int-to-AC, Con-to-AC, Armor Bonus from VoP, Natural Armor & more. I think I ended up with a touch AC around 75.

Be absolutely sure to get Superior Unarmed Strike before you get Fist of the Forest, so it bumps up your damage.

For Kensai, don't bother with more than a +1 enhancement... use all the rest for specials like Evil Outsider Bane, Defending, Metalline (from MIC, to have your unarmed strike emulate cold iron, silver, adamantine, etc.) maybe Holy. You'll get Lesser Ghost Touch from Fist of the Forest, but might want to improve that.

VoP is normally considered bad... and sure, your fists will "only" be doing 2d10+13 or so (plus Bane, maybe Holy)... but your Saves will be in the +40-+50 range & AC of 80-something.

For Flight, get the Outsider Wings Feat (from Races of Faerun) Then get Shadow Creature from Lords of Madness for increased move rates & HIPS that works everywhere except bright sunlight (this will push you to +10 LA though... Means you won't get BAB +20 and that last iterative attack). Just make sure you don't get the Nimbus of Light Exalted Feat.

Use your cash on +5 Tomes. That's 825,000 right there (687,500 if you skip Cha... you don't need it and your templates boost Cha enough already). That still leaves you with enough for 5 Wish Scrolls (10 if you skipped the Cha Tome) to provide... whatever... as long as they're not items.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Favoured soul / warlock. Aasimar with half fiend or tie fling with half celestial template.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Dnd1975 View Post
    OK, so heres the deal. We are starting a 3.5 adventure and the dungeon master has given the group a treat. There are so many options that I am a little dumbfounded as to what to choose. I will tell you what we can and cannot use and then the other players.

Races / Templets / Levels:
    Open races anything goes, the same with templets, however I am allowed a total of 8 levels to use between the two, and afterwords a total of 20 gestalt character levels. If race and templet exceed 8 they are deducted from the 20 character levels.

Classes: Again anything goes and all are gestalts at level 20 unless racial/templets levels exceed 8. All D20 sourcebooks are available as long as they can be researched and verified by the DM.

Stats: The base of all characters stats are 18 across the board so STR: 18 DEX: 18 CON: 18 INT: 18 WIS: 18 CHA: 18. Addition and subtraction of ability scores are normal for racial or templet adjustments.

Not Wanting: Not an overbearing game breaking amount of cheese. I am hapy with rule pressing and bending but not breaking lol. I am also not wanting Factotum or mainstream Spellcasters.

Equiptment, Magical Items and Gold: All mudane non magical items and equiptment are free as for the parties curent level we assume these items have been purchased. Items may be Masterwork. We have 1,000,000 gold which we can use to buy any magical items, or adjust current magical items. We are alowed our choice of any 4 Major magical items. No Epic feats or gear .

Source Books: Any D20 book with the exception of D20 modern books.

Adventuring Party: Will post as soon as I find out.
    1. Me

This is all the info I have currently, Astonish me :)
    I would go for the Paragon template in Epic Level Handbook.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Rogue//Scout can be fun in an urban setting. Roofwalker etc. actually becomes worth it that way.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I suppose you could be an astra deva angel, if you don't mine putting 12 hd of outsider into one side of your gestalt class.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    I have heard good things about mixing Soulborn and Soul Knife, although I don't know if that is enough oomph for a gestalt game.
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha <gasp> Hahahahahahahahahahaha nooooo. Bad plan. Those are two of the weakest classes in the game, and they have basically no synergy whatsoever. (Heck, a meldshaper can largely replace the Soulknife with Incarnum Weapon alone).

Quote Originally Posted by Gildedragon View Post
    What party role do you want to fill? With this much leniency tell us a concept
    This is the real question. The more detail you can give on what sorts of character types you're interested in, and what level of complexity you can stand, the better; otherwise you'll just get random build combos.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use