A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 126
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default The Equinox Wars (IC)

    The Equinox Wars


    The world of Dalgonia is a land of ancient lore, epic wars, wild frontiers, cities that buzz with magic, and tribal humanoids who survive brutal environments. The nations via for political power and, like all nations, rise and fall overtime. Life, ranges from the brutal experiences of a beaten slave to high nobility that has everything at their disposal. Death, for all, is permanent. The God's intervene with their mortal worshippers and Druids preserve nature they so revere.

    However all these events is but a backdrop. For every two thousand years a celestial equinox occurs - where light and darkness, life and nothingness, come into balance. It is during this time that one side can usurp the other for power. That time is upon us once more. For on the 22nd day in the month of The Dwarf, the celestial equinox has begun. Already the darkness plots its first move....


    Dolgrin
    Spoiler
    Show

    Only an hour earlier had you and your kin woken up and began descending down the tunnels when the attack had begun. There was some dispute about turning back, but your main mission was to defend the supply caravans. So for about ten minutes the echoes of distant warfare and minor shock waves was listened to at high alert.

    With no warning a tremendous shockwave went through the earth that was so powerful it knocked you to your knees. Panic spread through the horses and ponies that made up the supply caravan. The shouting of dwarves to try to calm and control the animals proved futile. You narrowly avoided being run over by an out of control wagon when you heard the sound of rumbling water. Something above you had broken. Your mind raced momentarily to try to figure out what it could be. There was only the White Rage River.... You took a moment to survey your surroundings ignoring the gnawing sense of fear.

    It wasn’t just the horses that were panicking – now it was everyone. You scrambled out of the path of the stampede and climbed up to a ledge in the hopes that the flood would be low enough to keep you safe. You had just reached the ledge before the roaring water entered your darkvision. It was floor to ceiling and moving with the full force of the river. You looked down at your armored body and said a prayer, nay for yourself but for your kin and their families.

    The impact of the cold White Rage River should have knocked you out from the force alone. But somehow your tenacity to survive kept you conscious. A wooden door floated by under the water and you clung to it despite it being caught in the current and of no use. As you looked through the water you caught the sight of a horse’s body and the last thing you saw was his hoof. With a detached feeling of one barely clinging to consciousness you felt your body impacting the floor, the walls, repeatedly over and over again before finally being caught, perhaps pinned, by a stalagmite. As the last of your air left you, you waited for the water to recede. A wait that would prove too long for you. Your last thought is for some reason of your father and for a brief moment you felt his hand on your shoulder as if he were welcoming you.

    Eons passed. You felt a burning sensation near your birthmark and then a wrenching pain in your heart. You feel a sense of dislocation, giddiness, a feeling of flying rapidly through space, and, what you assume to be, your soul passing to the afterlife. Suddenly your feet hit solid ground and a force unknown to you causes you to cough up water. As you cough, an unbelievable amount of pain cuts sharply through the fog in your mind. You have a broken rib and you find that your shield arm is useless. You touch your nose with your other hand and feel where the horses hoof broke your nose. You pull your hand away from your face and find it shaking violently and covered in blood. Blood poured freely down your face. The weight of your soaking wet gear is an assault on your senses and you fall to one knee. The afterlife strikes you as being cold and painful. Perhaps you are being punished.

    What you can see before you is as clouded and vague as the contents of your mind. There seems to be nothing but mist, swirling in eddies around you, with a suggestion of huge shapes briefly glimpsed through it. The mist is cold on your face and with a start you realize that this is real. You are here physically. You are alive. There is wet grass beneath your feet. You look down at your armored body once more with confusion wondering if you somehow got dumped onto the surface. But that doesn’t feel right. You died. You’re sure of it. No one could survive that.

    Dolgrin is conscious and disabled. He currently has -9 hit points. He's wearing masterwork Banded Mail (3 hp remaining) and a set of clothing. You had your masterwork light steel shield tied to your backpack and it's dented pretty badly (it has 1 hp remaining). Your sword is missing from it's scabbard as is the throwing axes on your belt. Tied to your backpack is a dwarven waraxe. In your soaked backpack is a lot of ruined food stuffs, a lot of ruined supply documents, ruined torches, a bag with 100 steel coins in it, a steel flask of dwarven liquor, a soaked bedroll. Water is pouring out of your armor, you're drenched.



    Aiden
    Spoiler
    Show

    It’s been a long grueling day so far in the thin air, high upon the peaks of Vashanna. The price of admission had been very high. And yet, a part of you feels like the price should have been higher.

    You’ve been here for a mere three weeks in the training of S’vash’na’anna a Master of Nine – so called because they had mastery of all nine schools – and already your technique had improved greatly. You also felt greatly humbled at how pathetic your previous training had really been in comparison.

    S’vash’na’anna, in your opinion, was quiet possibly the most capable warrior you had ever seen. He was at least 90. He could punch through an adamantine bar, disappear through the shadows, heal with a single well placed hit and kill from across the room with a whisper.

    Drenched in sweat you wore simple training clothing and currently armed with a long spear. A simple weapon, but one that you’d been doing well with. Until now. With a simple side step, he dodged your spear thrust, kicked your feet out from underneath you, and threw you into a room entirely filled with pillows. You had wondered what the room had been for when you first entered the temple but now you knew. That room was sixty feet from where you had stood. You took a moment to lay underneath the pile, catching your breath. After a minute had gone by, you began to wonder why he had not come for you. Never had he let you rest this long. Crawling out of the pillows you slowly approached your master.

    He was standing at the wall containing real weapons and armor. And without really saying much he grabbed a heavy pick and a wooden shield and handed them to you. Then he grabbed a helmet. "I apologize that I don't have time to fit you for armor, but this should work." He said grabbing a chain shirt and handing it to you.

    You stared at him in confusion. You had not been training in armor.

    “I’m afraid our training cannot be completed.” He said to you handing you a bag of coin. Your bag. The coin you had given him to train you he was returning.

    “What? Why?” You said, really confused.

    “You’re leaving." He said wisely, "Have faith in your training. You know more than you know.”

    Suddenly you forgot who you were. Or even that you are you, and the old man faded from your view with a bow.

    It felt amazing to fly through the air and you feel yourself laughing drunk to yourself. The experience was unreal and you feel a detachment from everything. Somehow you become everything all at once. You forget who you were, where you were and what you were doing. You are not sure if you were knocked senseless or hallucinating. The experience begins to fade and you stop laughing and blink a couple of times. The feeling of blinking seems familiar to you, like you've done it before. A moment passes and you become aware that you exist and you are somewhere. You wonder where you are and what just happened. One thing is for certain, you think, you are in a strange place and you do not remember how you came here.

    What you see before you is as clouded and vague as the contents of your mind. There seems to be nothing but mist swirling in eddies around you, with a suggestion of huge shapes briefly glimpsed through it. The mist is cold on your face and with a start you realize that you're not dreaming and you're not in the temple high on a mountain. You breathe and enjoy the oxygen in the air. You're at sea level - you can tell immediately. There is wet grass beneath your feet. Your sweat soaked shirt is not providing you any comfort against the cold breeze. You're not sure if this is one of your master's abilities or what happened.

    Your arms are full with a heavy pick, a helmet, a chain shirt, and a heavy wooden shield and your coin (50 platinum coins).


    G'Noosh
    Spoiler
    Show

    G’noosh you sat quietly with your wolf animal companion, Gauntlet. Preferring to avoid Trinity, you had been travelling through the mountainous region of Murdukland Apal to get to Sillinodeal, home of the wood elves and hopefully a druidic society that would improve your training and knowledge of the ways of nature. Sitting in the sun and resting, you had been hiking up the side of a mountain for most of the day and was resting quietly while cooking a rabbit. Gauntlet waited patiently for some meat.

    You sat just doing what you loved best: enjoying nature and life. Things had been simple lately, considering your rocky life, and you reflect how much better life was when you didn't have to deal with others. No cut-throat competitions with your orcish siblings, no distrustful looks from your human side. Just quiet serenity and trying to survive; one with nature.

    Suddenly Gauntlet started growling. Not in fear or anger, but confusion. You looked at Gauntlet to see what he was growling about and found yourself looking at a wolf. Part of you felt somewhat scared of such a wild creature and you let yourself be pulled away. However whatever part of you that was still you, remained, and you felt yourself spiritually reaching out to your wolf although you didn’t really know why.

    You soared above the mountains as a hawk, diving for a fish that had just lept out of the river. A large spider had caught it in its web, or perhaps it had caught you in it's web. Curious you reached out for the spider. You spent the season as that spider learning how to weave a web and the intricate details of its life. Although none of this really happened. You laughed at how ridiculous you were being and returned to the stars. Home. But the wolf followed you.

    As you walked through your domain you continued to find yourself irritated at a wolf that was following you around. It wasn’t supposed to be here. You knew that, spiders began to crawl over the wolf. You became the spiders and the stars and for a brief moment you became the wolf too.

    Suddenly you blinked. You were standing in wet grass; you’re not sure how long you’ve been standing here. Cold sea mist hit you in the face and some part of you thinks you might have been standing here for quite some time but you have no memory of how you got here or what you were just doing. A wolf was sleeping next to you although you felt no fear of it wrapped around your legs as if protecting you.

    You have +2 inherent bonus to your intelligence as if you had read a tome of clear though +2. You gain four skill points and can speak and read celestial (although your character would be surprised to find this out as you don't remember learning it). Similarly you won't know where the four skill points came from either.

    Backpack, 7 days homemade trail rations, Waterskin, homemade bedroll, homemade winter blanket, quarterstaff, leather armor, 5 gp.

    Some of your orc master's belongings that you fled with: Deer Antler "holy" symbol, satchel with geographic map of local area, orcish knowledge on nature, scroll of snake's swiftness, scroll of lesser vigor, scroll of spider hand




    Gunther
    Spoiler
    Show

    Gunther as you slowly walked down the trail two kender annoying chattered away at your heels. They had figured out you were a wizard and decided to follow you. Knowing that not much would stop them until they grew bored you didn’t pay much attention to them other than to try to keep them away from your spell component pouch (or any of your pouches).
    You had a five year plan although you had been stalling as of late. You were beginning to feel like that unless you were seriously tested you would never improve fast enough. Mending clothes was woman’s work and the mercenary work you had done hadn’t been anything even remotely interesting or challenging (let alone life threatening). So you had set off to towards war to fight against the Dark Knights hoping the experience as a warmage would prove beneficial.

    But you would never make it. You were being teleported against your will. Was it against your will, you wonder to yourself? No, you let yourself go. The spell was conjuration – but so much more. You marveled at its… no… at your magnificence. You soared above the heavens, a mighty dragon. The mightiest dragon overlooking all that was and is. You saw the growing darkness on the world and you knew that your time had come once more – to do battle against your greatest foe. You had missed the last war, but not this one you smiled gleefully and let loose a mighty blast of dragonfire. You reveled in it, your lust for blood and combat was the greatest amongst the celestial bodies. You looked over your allies and nodded with approval.

    You wake with a start and realize that you had been hallucinating. Or dreaming? You’re not sure what was just going on and you struggle to remember anything about yourself. Your hands indicated you were human which for some reason struck you as a good thing. But nothing else was coming to you.

    Starting Equipment: Clothing (your choice), 50 feet silk rope, personal effects, Backpack, Bedroll, Spellbook, Spell Components Pouch, Club x5, Heavy Crossbow, 30 bolts, Quarterstaff, Torches x5, Hooded Lantern, Flint and Steel, Candle x5, Scroll Case, Ink (4 oz vial), Inkpen, Paper 30 sheets, Belt Pouch, 7 days trail rations, Waterskin, Tent, 50 steel pieces.


    Gwyenevere
    Spoiler
    Show

    You were tired but it was worth it. You hadn’t even gotten into you room yet, determined to feel the chilly air and the sea mist on your face. You stood on the ship’s deck feeling cold and nauseous. The experience of feeling miserable that you so rarely had, ironically, was making you happy. The tonic for seasickness was in your room, as was a small fire elemental bound heater. But instead here you stood, first watching the sun set and then the stars rise above your head. The sea gate was an achievement of your people and you felt proud and sad at the same time upon viewing it. Once your people had strove to dominate the world, bring civility to the lesser races and master the elements. And once they had accomplished this, it seemed, there was nothing left to do but enjoy utopia. And so they stopped reaching and striving for greatness and withdrew.

    As you went through the Seagate you could sense the powerful magic that the greatest artificers and mages had created. The sixty degree temperature swing caught you off-guard but with a moment’s thought you shift your clothing into something more weather appropriate without really thinking about it. Then you catch yourself – and wonder just how dependent are you on magical accommodations.

    Given that it’ll be about four hours until the ship is ready for the passengers to depart you begin making your way to your room for your trance. As you step through the door you feel a sudden lurch and for a second you feel like you’re falling through the ship. As you become totally submerged in the warm comfortable water your mind wonders on what kind of wonderful spell this is. You had heard of magical spells that cause altered states of consciousness and that’s what this feels like. You float through the world. You laugh at the high. Perhaps you were poisoned you wonder.

    Suddenly you’re amongst the stars. You are home, it feels nice. You look down at the world and notice a growing darkness and you frown with anger although, oddly you feel like you don’t have a mouth to frown with. You can feel your presence spread out across the night’s sky represented by several bright stars in the shape of a rose. But that feeling doesn’t last and you find yourself with no real memories save for the present. You’re not sure who you are or what is going on. You don’t seem to be worried about this lack of knowledge and just sort of enjoy the present. You’re standing on wet grass surrounded by fog. The cold mist of the sea hits you in the face. You stare dumbly through the fog trying to remember where you just came from, who you are, and how you got here. Something looms behind you but it’s not alive. Perhaps a statue or stone.

    Starting Equipment: Shiftweave x3, Masterwork Thieves Picks with failsafe 5% (5% of the time if you think you've disabled the device, but you are wrong, the thieves picks alert you by glowing red), +1 Composite Longbow, +1 Arrow (50) (Every Arrow emits Light as defined in DMG, "Light Generation: Fully 30% of magic weapons shed light equivalent to a light spell (bright light in a 20-foot radius, shadowy light in a 40-foot radius). These glowing weapons are quite obviously magical. Such a weapon can’t be concealed when drawn, nor can its light be shut off.") , 2 days food (fresh), spell component pouch, Heward’s Handy Haversack
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-11-01 at 01:51 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    You stand alone in the mist for a minute. You wonder why you do not feel afraid. The place you stand creates a sense of déjà vu. Instead of struggling to try to remember how you know this place, you feel comforted by it, much like a childhood memory.

    The mist slowly begins to clear and in the faint light of a new day you see a huge megalith towering behind you. The place is achingly familiar to you, yet you have never been here before.

    As you turn around you see that the megaliths form a circle and in front of several of them stands strangers. By the look of their faces they are as surprised to find themselves here as you are. Two humans, a Gray Elf, a Dwarf, and a Half-Orc with a sleeping wolf at her ankles.

    As you all look at each other, your memories come back to you.

    Spoiler: Introductions
    Show

    Feel free to describe what the other characters see, as well as any actions you take.

    You still cannot see outside the stone circles at this time.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-04-25 at 08:35 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Gwynevere considered herself an educated, intelligent individual; hardly an unusual opinion for a grey elf. As such, she tended to turn to logic in times of uncertainty. This was, if nothing else, a very uncertain moment in her life.

    She's a slender elf, and barely taller than the dwarf in the clearing, but Gwynevere holds herself with confidence as she begins to pace around the circle. "Alright, I am going to assume you all speak Common. We need to make sure that we're out of immediate danger, then we need to figure out if we're trapped here, and then we should find out what brought us here. I'm going to cast Detect Magic on these standing stones; if I collapse due to an overwhelming magical aura, please wake me up."

    Edicts delivered, she turns to 'her' monolith and waves her hand in a sharp gesture, speaking a few simple words of power. She then concentrates on the object; once she's gotten an understanding of it, she'll sweep her spell over the rest of the clearing.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casts Detect Magic.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Winter Road's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle 2079
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Aidan slowly rises to his feet and tries to take measure of the situation, his eyes glance around to these new strangers.
    What sort of witchery is....?
    No, wait. Whatever is going on right now my master seemed to know of it. Could this really be his doing? I'm not sure...not sure of anything, but these folk seem like..

    Aidan turns and looks to the towering megalith behind him, and then to the formations behind those of each stranger.
    I can only assume these folk have been summoned here for whatever reasons I have...or perhaps they are guardians of something.

    Aidan looks to the heavy pick and shield gripped tightly in his hands.
    If we are all strangers I must demonstrate that I mean no harm.

    His grip on his weapons starts to relax, and he slowly sets them on the ground beside him.
    Aidan gestures, opening his arms as if about to speak, then to his surprise, the gray elf speaks. Aidan listens.
    My, this one seems quite proactive indeed! Strange woman, or is she really? She seems familiar in a way..in the same way they all do.
    Aidan watches as she casts her spell, he looks for any noticeable effects, and studies the elf's reaction.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Drops equipped weapon and shield.
    Last edited by Winter Road; 2017-04-26 at 03:09 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    CuChulainn007's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Gunther looks around with a look of curious interest, studying the others in the circle closely.

    "How very odd.."he murmurs softly.

    As the elf speaks, he watches her intently, making sure she is casting what she claims.

    Perhaps I should cast detect magic as well, he thinks, although he makes no move to do so. I'm unclear what actions this social situation dictates... introductions I suppose.

    Gunther turns to the individual nearest him, and walks forward briskly.

    "Greetings!" he says to the half-orc maiden nearest him (much more loudly than is necessary) "I am Gunther Huma du Morgath. I believe I was brought here through a conjuration spell, although it remains largely unclear to me. Do you know what is happening? Where are we? What's your name? Nice wolf!"

    Realizing he is "doing it again" he abruptly stops speaking, blushing furiously while looking at his feet.

    He thinks back to his old tutor Dag, and his constant reminders on how to interact with others; "Give others time to talk, don't ask so many questions, speak slowly and at a reasonable volume."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spellcraft check - Skill Mod 7.
    Last edited by CuChulainn007; 2017-05-01 at 02:32 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DrunkMongoose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    The Pub
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Dolrgin while kneeling and half slummed over lets out a low bass toned grunt and grimace from the variety of pains that are flooding his body.

    He seems to be soaked and dripping from a watery mix of mud and blood, as a stream of blood trickles unbidden from a large laceration on the bridge of his now crooked broken nose. The blood covers the lower part of his face and runs down until absorbed into his thick beard which is now stained various shades of crimson. His left arm hangs limp and swollen at his side while he uses his right hand to steady himself on the soft grassy ground.

    He continue kneel and with a slow agonizing movement he uses his right arm to remove his heavy pack and places it in front of him. The simple removal seems excruciating to him and his breathing is now strained with a deep wet raspy wheezing sound to it. With the support of his pack now for balance he tries to focus his pain induced blurred vision on his unexpected new surroundings and the other new figures revealed from the mist.
    He places his unsteady shaky hand on the handle of Thalornthork, his Dwarven Axe, which is still bound to his pack.

    Too weak ta fight any of dis lot. would be Dead fer sure..if I aint already. Probably best ta see what dare all about ‘n if any of da bunch got a clue where in da nines I be.

    Dolgrin exhausted leans heavily on his now ground pack and tries to observe these new strangers.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Move Action:
    Take off Pack

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    The half-orc woman surveys the scene before her with a calmness that boarders on boredom. She crouches down to pet the wolf sleeping at her feet, parting the large cape the conceals most of her body as she does so. Underneath she sports practical looking clothing made of animal hides and simple woven fabrics that indicate her Vast heritage. Her bare arms display corded muscles and numerous scars, though none of them seem recent. She smiles serenely up at Gunther and stands up to offer her hand in a firm handshake. As she stops petting the wolf, it wakes and stares up at the man, though it does not move other than lifting its head. Her voice is deep and calm, every bit as methodical and peaceful as Gunther is energetic and loud.

    "Hello Gunther, I am G'Noosh. I do not know how we got here, but I know it is far away from where I was. I woke this morning upon a mountain, but now it seems I will sleep by the sea."


    G'Noosh looks around at the twelve monoliths, intoning the names of the constellations depicted upon them respectfully. She looks back to Gunther and bows slightly.

    "A spider would be wise to cower in the presence of a dragon, but even a dragon can be brought low by the right sting. I hope we may prove more amiable than our birthrights might imply."

    While making pleasantries with Gunther, G'Noosh regards the others present and nods to them in acknowledgement. Seeing that the dwarf appears to be injured, G'Noosh motions for Gunther to follow her as she approaches the dwarf.

    "You appear to be injured, Spectre. May I tend to your wounds?"

    OOC: Jop, if I'm presuming/assuming too much let me know and I'll reword whatever.
    Last edited by King Tius; 2017-04-26 at 09:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Gunther: Spellcraft (1d20+7)[27] vs DC 15. Yes she cast detect magic.

    Ragged, the first round you detect the presence of magic. There are 12 of them. Each monolith glows with Strong Magic.

    The half orc lady has 3 different magical aura's on her person.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-04-26 at 09:50 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Winter Road's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle 2079
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    While waiting to judge the elf's reaction to the spell, Aidan's attention is then diverted to the talking human mage and half-orc. Then, idly scanning around he realizes the dwarf seems very much injured.
    By Shinare's blessing! Greetings there, dwarf! Are you grievously injured?
    He approaches the dwarf within 5ft, and begins to inspect his wounds.
    Are you in need of a healer, friend? I know not the art myself but surely...
    Aidan trails off and scans back across the other strangers.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    CuChulainn007's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    "Pleased to meet you G'Noosh."

    Gunther smiles shyly at G'Noosh, evidently relieved that he hadn't offended her with his barrage of questions. Listening intently to her talk about spiders and dragons, he brightens noticeably. After bowing low in return, he looks again at the monoliths. Slowly following G'Noosh as she walks towards the injured dwarf, he begins mumbling quietly to himself.

    "Constellations, birthrights... Birthmarks! Hmm..."

    Gunther pulls his map case off his back, absentmindedly looking through the pockets in his white caped robe. Finding a pen, he digs through his backpack and pulls out an ink vial, and begins scrawling furiously on a sheet of parchment.

    "G'Noosh is the Spider, and a healer! I'm the Dragon..."

    Gunther ponders his "journey" here, remembering vividly how he "took flight." You soared above the heavens, a mighty dragon. The mightiest dragon overlooking all that was and is. You saw the growing darkness on the world and you knew that your time had come once more – to do battle against your greatest foe.

    Shaking his head to clear it, Gunther continues taking notes.

    "The injured Dwarven warrior is the Spectre, the Elven maiden is the Rose... she seems to be a leader, is that typical of a rose? Perhaps... a rose is beautiful, but it does have thorns..."

    Gunther chuckles quietly to himself.

    "And then we have the human warrior..."

    Gunther listens to the human man, nodding his head as he speaks.

    "The Kraken, worships Shinare, NOT a healer but he seems concerned..."

    Gunther becomes lost in his own thoughts, standing near the middle of the circle of monoliths and continuing to scribble notes, the wounded Dwarf momentarily forgotten.
    Last edited by CuChulainn007; 2017-05-01 at 02:34 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Gwynevere ignores the rest of the group for the moment, concentrating on the monoliths. She isn't sure what to expect from their auras, but any information will be more than she currently has.

    She'll make a Spellcraft check with a +7 modifier for each monolith she can catch in her spell's cone.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show

    Gwynevere Spellcraft: (1d20+7)[17], (1d20+7)[17], (1d20+7)[24], (1d20+7)[10], (1d20+7)[17], (1d20+7)[16], (1d20+7)[22], (1d20+7)[11], (1d20+7)[21], (1d20+7)[12], (1d20+7)[11],(1d20+7)[27]


    Spoiler: Gwynevere
    Show

    The stones are aligned in such a way that each one points to its patron star on Midsummer’s Day. This place is evidently a stellar observatory or calendar of some sort.

    The stones radiate with universal magic, although oddly so. It seems raw or primal.


    Spoiler: Gunther
    Show

    the stones are aligned in such a way that each one points to its patron star on Midsummer’s Day. This place is evidently a stellar observatory or calendar of some sort – and more you'd speculate.

    There is only one known area in Ansalon with an arrangement of stones like this. No known culture or religious order is known to have constructed them that's native to Ansalon.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-04-27 at 11:19 AM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DrunkMongoose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    The Pub
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Dolgrin's attention pulls away from the elven caster and overly talkative human as he carefully watches as the approaching half breed and human. After they both speak and he realizes they are a not
    an immediate threat he relaxes the shaky grip he had on his axe's handle. His bleary blood shot eyes briefly scan the half breed women.

    What in Reorx's beard is dat creature? I ain't ever...

    His thoughts were abruptly​ cut off by a wave of pain from his broken rib when he shifted his weight. He winced and gritted his teeth before regaining what he could of his composure to speak to the two.
    He first addressed the half breed healer women.

    Aye, if ye nae mind to takin a look. Me side and nose be kill'n me. Plus my arm about as worth less as a Kender's attention span. Ye said your called G'moosh?
    I be Dolgrin Stoneforge o Clan Hylar.

    And who ye be fella?
    he said as he uncomfortable shifted to address Aiden

    Either o you know where we be?

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Gwynevere is silent for about half a minute, concentrating on her divination. Her neutral expression turns into a frown as the divination goes on; whatever the results, they clearly aren't what she was expecting.

    Once her spell has run its course she walks over to the injured dwarf and the half-orc shaman. Her frown turns into a smile, and she nods politely to the gathering group. "I apologize for not introducing myself sooner; my name is Gwynevere, and I hail from Mysadell."

    She draws back the hood of her robe, carefully adjusting her hair as she does. "The magic of these pillars is of the Universal school; I'm sure I needn't explain why that's odd. Furthermore, I got a feeling from them that suggests they're extremely old, and possibly naturally occurring. Whatever brought us here, it seems like it was more than a simple Conjuration."

    She pauses, then pulls her hair aside to reveal the back of her neck. Just below her hairline and is the top of what appears to be the tattoo of a rose. "I've had this mark as long as I can remember, and I woke up under the monolith corresponding to the rose. Are the rest of you similarly marked?"
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Winter Road's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle 2079
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Aidan seems relieved to see the half-orc tending to the dwarf's wounds.
    What a motely band this is, but they seem like pretty decent folk.
    Pleasure to meet you Dolgrin, Gwynevere, G'noosh, and uhh...
    Aidan looks toward the robed human scribbling notes.
    What was his name? Dragon? My name is Aidan, and I have not a clue where we are or what magicks spirited us to this den of mists. I have no understanding of why 'universal' magic would be more odd than any other variety, nor do I really understand these 'marks' you speak of.
    It has been a long time since Aidan gave any thought at all to his birthmark, and is a bit too jarred by this sudden situation to make any sort of connection.
    Last edited by Winter Road; 2017-04-27 at 06:15 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Spoiler: G'noosh
    Show

    For those close to the dwarf (and with ranks in heal, so, only you G'noosh) you realize immediately that wherever the dwarf came from, he was nearly dead or dying. His helmet suffered serious bludgeoning damage and is smashed into his nose which is clearly broken. His armor is smashed up pretty badly and at the mention that his left armor is useless you notice that bloody water is flowing out of his gauntlet. Probably an open fracture and with the way his whole arm is hanging there, a dislocated shoulder. His breathing is labored so you suspect broken ribs and with it, almost certainly, internal bleeding. His pale skin and dilated pupils indicates he's probably in hypovolemic shock from the blood loss and trauma. You recall hearing him coughing up water through the mists, so he was also probably drowning. You're guess is that he was plucked serendipitously from a damn bursting, a tsunami, or something else involving fast moving water with things to collide with.

    You find it absurd that he's conscious in his condition let alone standing.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-04-28 at 04:46 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Gwynevere gives the big, armored human a smile, her eyes sweeping over him with curiosity. It's almost as if she's barely seen any humans before. "Aiden, you said you name was? Pleased to meet you, and I'd be happy to explain the situation further."

    She taps the back of her own neck, indicating the mark there. "I have a mark in the shape of the astrological Rose. I've never been able to determine what it means or if it has any special significant, and my home city is arguably the greatest center of knowledge and scholarship in the world. But clearly, our group of five has some kind of magical connection to the star signs. G'noosh seems to have come to the same conclusion, though perhaps via different information."

    She paces a bit, gesturing to the ring of standing stones. "And these stones radiate Universal magic, which is a rather rare kind of magic. It's associated with a small number of especially powerful spells like Wish and Permanency. What it means is hard to say, but this kind of raw, primordial Universal magic could do anything."
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Winter Road's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle 2079
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    "Ah, pleased to meet you as well." Aidan replies, beginning to blush at the elf maiden's attention.
    He takes a moment to ponder her words.
    "A dragon, a rose...I guess I'm a squid?" He mumbles, lifting his sleeve and comparing the exposed reaching tentacles to those depicted on his megalith of origin.
    He stands silent for the moment, engrossed in thought.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    blushes
    Last edited by Winter Road; 2017-05-01 at 02:33 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    CuChulainn007's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Scribbling furiously, Gunther stops suddenly and shouts, "Of course!"

    Gunther looks around, and upon seeing the others grouped together around the injured Dwarf, he rushes over, smiling slightly.

    "Well I think I have it figured out..." he states energetically, paying scant attention to the conversation the others are having. Noticing them deep in conversation and pointing out the birthmarks on their bodies, he quiets quickly. Taking off his robe and shirt, he holds up his left arm, where there is a dragon shaped birthmark on the inside of his upper arm.

    "Forgive me for not coming right over... I was thinking through some things." Gunther says quietly.

    Looking at the injured Dwarf, he nods and says in Dwarven "I hope you will recover quickly, Master Dwarf."

    Turning towards the group as a whole, Gunther takes a deep breath and begins speaking quickly. "My name is Gunther Huma du Morgath. It seems that the constellations, of which we are marked, line up in the sky with their representative stones on Midsummer's day. I would certainly expect the stones are magical, especially given our recent experience. I know there is one stellar observatory of this sort on Ansalon, but I'm unsure if this is it or not."

    As he begins pulling his clothing back on, Gunther looks around at the group expectantly. With his eyebrows raised in expectation and ink stains on his hands and face, he is a slightly comical looking figure.
    Last edited by CuChulainn007; 2017-05-01 at 03:24 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Winter Road's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle 2079
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    "Ansalon you say? Hmm, I have not been there for many years...or should I say here? Either way, pleased to meet your Sir Morgath."
    Aidan returns to pondering about the puzzling nature of universal magic, and how exactly these magically inclined folk perceive the difference in variety.
    Could it be a taste? Like the taste of a wine, by age and flavor? Could it be a visual phenomenon to them, like some roiling gas, imperceivable to the common eye?

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    G'Noosh gives the dwarf a thorough looking-over, though she makes no move to touch him. "Judging by the looks of you, a spectre you may soon be. I have only a small amount of healing magic prepared, but if we rest here for a night I can tend to your wounds and apply more potent magics upon the dawn."

    As a show of her good intentions, the half-orc woman murmurs a quick spell and places her hand lightly upon the dwarf's shoulder.

    G'Noosh casts Cure Minor Wounds on Dolgrin

    G'noosh smiles politely to the others and nods when asked her name.

    "If we are connected by the heavens, then we should be knit together on the earth. What better way to forge this bond than over food? My legs have plenty of stride left in them, but it seems I have traveled far this day. Perhaps we should rest beneath these sacred stones, tell our tales, and let this dwarf regain his vigor."
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Gwynevere has been staring out at the stars as the others speak, her brows knitted in concentration. She finally turns her gaze back to the group when G'Noosh makes her proposal, though her eyes remain distant. "Resting doesn't sound like the worst idea, but I feel like we should test something first: are we free to leave this circle? Will anything happen if we do? Give me a few minutes to inspect the circle for signs of a magical trap, and then I want to try and leave."

    She then goes to the nearest standing stone, observing it and the ground around it without touching them or crossing outside of the circle. If she finds nothing, she will take a cautious step outside of the circle.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Taking 20 on Search for a 29. If anyone wants to assist, she'll accept.

    If I missed the fact that people have been going in and out of the circle, let me know and I'll change this.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DrunkMongoose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    The Pub
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    In his weak and drained state Dolgrin strains to focus and listen as the Elven women named Gwynevere speaks about the magic stones and universal schools, none of which makes much sense to him, but he tries his best to listen for anything of worth. His attention wanes in and out as the pain of his rended bones and weaken respiratory wash over him in waves. As she finishes speaking his mangled ears pick up the familiar tones of the Dwarven language. Dolgrin turns toward the source and a slight look of surprise crosses his swollen broken face as he realizes the voice was coming from the nervously energic rambling tall’n named Gunther. Dolgrin gave the slightest of nods and politely replied back to the him in Dwarven.

    “Dolzehk”
    Spoiler: Dwarven Translated
    Show
    Thanks


    Bleary eyed and in a dire messy sanguineous state Dolgrin musters his strength and gives a meek bloodstained grim smile and a deep nod of appreciate to G’Noosh as she offers to mend his wounds and begins to lay her hands on him for healing. He shuttered slightly as the minuscule wave of healing flowed through his wrecked body.

    “Ye haf me Thanks G’moosh. May Reorx guide yer steel. Now as much as I do appreciate yer gift o healin. I still be feelin like a piece o slag after a good smeltin. Whitever healin gift ye used it was nae enough."

    He listened as G'Noosh and Gwynevere discussed if they should camp or not.

    "Ye all can do whit ye need ta, but I aint really got a choice here. I got ta rest bit if I’m going ta be worth a spit o ale ta anybody. O’Course I nae hold it against any one o ye if ye want ta move on with out me. "

    Dolgrins glances over to Gwynevere as she inspects the stones for traps.

    “Careful lass…hate ta see ye be look’n like me.“

    "Gunther, Did ye say ye be from Ansalon? Where ye in da tunnels help’n da pointy ears too? O ye from elsewhere? .

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Winter Road's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle 2079
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Aidan stands quietly with a face of obvious confusion and discomfort.
    This dwarf is in a bad way, that's for sure. But whatever summoned us here, I doubt it was for the purpose of taking a nap. We need to discover the manner of this place. I think the elf has the right idea here.
    Aidan goes over and assists Gwynevere in searching about the mist.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    assists Gwynevere's search check

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Behind the megalith is a wall of mists that swirl around and the unmistakable sound of a beach nearby. Gwynevere and Aidan begin searching one of the large stones for traps or magical triggers.

    Almost immediately after Dolgrin addressed Gunther, out of nowhere, a feminine voice speaks to you. It is faint but perfectly clear. As it speaks, the stones thrum with a strange vibration as if they were amplifying the voice somehow (which was momentarily terrifying for Gwynevere because at first she thought she triggered something).

    "The Time of the Equinox has come. Children, my children... I am sorry. I have done what I must. I.. the answers you seek... I am far right now... too far from you. You must learn who you are. The land and people are yours."

    The speaker seems to be under great strain, as if speaking to you was exhausting her.

    "This place is sacred to you, sacred to the stars that you are. When people remembered they built other sites like this one. Heed me: if one of you should fall, bear his flesh to the stones and the soul will enter the flesh. But make haste, for flesh that is spoiled can never be returned."

    There is a silence again and after five or so seconds of it you begin to believe that she has finished, but then the voice speaks once more, faint as a dying echo:

    "Know this. There is a force against you. It gathers and senses you have returned. Seek the armor of Charles Starkweather.... it lies near, waiting to be claimed... when that is found, you may begin to understand, to remember."

    The voice falls silent again. You're left alone in the circle of stone, as the light of a new day begins to be clearly seen through the fading mists.

    Over the course of the next five minutes, the mists vanish altogether.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-05-05 at 09:21 AM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DrunkMongoose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    The Pub
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Dolgrin quickly scans the expressions of the other group members faces to see if they are reacting to the feminine voice or if he was the only one to hear it. After confirming it wasn’t just him, he says

    “Dat Voice aint no body I knows o remember. Any of ye recognize it or even know what dat was all about? And who dis Charles Starkweather fella be? ”

    As the mist dissipates, Dolgrin briefly scans the surrounding area beyond the stones and tries to gather any information to where they are and what type of terrain they are in.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    CuChulainn007's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    As Gunther makes ready to respond to Dolgrin, the strange voice begins to speak and he forgets that he was asked a question. After the voice fades away, Gunther's brow creases in thought. "Time of the equinox... her children... land is ours..." he mutters quietly.

    Looking up when Dolgrin speaks, Gunther slowly shakes his head. "I have no idea what is going on. What did she mean there is a force against us? And did she say if we fall the stones will bring us back to life?" Gunther shrugs, frowning unhappily.

    "I wonder if we should look for Charles Starkweather's armor, or..." Gunther looks to Dolgrin and G'noosh. He is clearly indecisive and awaiting direction.
    Last edited by CuChulainn007; 2017-05-05 at 01:11 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    As the mists clear and dawn begins to break, the half-orc woman smiles. "You are in luck, master dwarf. I learn my spells from dawn's light glinting through the morning dew. I should have you knitted together soon enough. However...from what our mother just said, if I slit your throat instead, these stones might do the work for me. Perhaps an experiment for another time."

    G'Noosh looks to the others. "If our mother wanted us dead, she wouldn't have brought us here. Anything strong enough to pull us across the world could snuff out our flames with but a sigh. I will obey her for now, if only for answers. What benefit would she gain by lying about the stones?"
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Winter Road's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle 2079
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    "Pffft." Aidan scoffs. "My mother was the blessed Shinare, and I think she'd have the courtesy to give fair warning before recklessly yanking me across the realm. I'm not saying this is demon magicks of a foul nature, but this voice did make it clear we now have enemies and trials that before we had not. I know naught of how summoning magicks work, but I've seen them practiced in the Fire Opal lands. Perhaps this voice is an archmage from far away Xendrick, and she summoned us here to do her bidding of sorts. Retrieve some armor for her convenience and then be spirited back whence we came..."
    Aidan pauses, and begins rolling over thoughts of everyone's birthmarks, Gwynevere's words of this being strange 'universal' magic, and the fact that his master seemed to be calmly aware that all this would transpire. The synchronicity of it all.
    "Actually I'm...not sure what to think right now."

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Equinox Wars (IC)

    Gwynevere takes stock of the area around the stones as the mist clears, listening to the others deliberate as she does. After they finish, she turns back to the group, her hands clasped primly behind her. "I think it is in our best interested to cautiously accept that the voice we just heard was speaking the truth. As G'Noosh has rightly noted, anything capable of transporting a large group across the length and breadth of the world would be able to just kill us if they had that intention."

    She gestures to Aidan. "And I don't think you need to overly concern yourself that we have been summoned at the behest of an archmage. As far as I'm aware, such spells are almost exclusively tuned to creatures from the outer planes. I'm not a conjurer, mind you, but I still think it may be worth our while to seek out this armor and see where things lead."

    She pauses a moment, and then a smile breaks through her stoic facade. "And, you must admit, isn't this exciting?"
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •