New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Spheres of Power for 5E, advice needed

Not the first. Not the last. Got a pretty solid base so far. Making this for home games.

Formalities out of the way, ive hit a stumbling block. Concentration is a very important balancing mechanism for SoP. It is ALSO a very important balancing mechanism in 5E. Problem: concentration in 5E works differently than in Pathfinder.

In 5E, characters can mantain concentration without spending actions, but only at one thing at a time. The game is balanced around the fact you cant concentrate on more than one spell at a time, which includes most buffs.

In Pathfinder, characters need to spend an action each round to mantain concentration.

In SoP, which is a 3pp magic system for PF, pretty much anything that can be mantained through concentration can also last beyond concentration as long as you pay 1 spell point so it continues for minutes per caster level.

What more do i say. I need help. Anyone can spare any??

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Spheres of Power for 5E, advice needed

Make the PP cost exorbitant, and don't allow them to do it more than once per Long Rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

What about using skill checks as a way to increase duration? I know that adds more dice rolling, but it is a moderately balanced way to do things.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Concentration serves completely different functions in 5e and PF/SoP. In 5e, it acts as a mechanism to prevent stacking large numbers of buff spells, while in SoP, it allows casters to have at-will powers for when they run out of spell points. There's no need to merge them simply because they have the same name - just note that concentration works different from sphere casters, just as caster level does.