Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1080
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What are you reading right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Commando View Post
    You may be right. If I paced myself I would've probably enjoyed the series more and felt less weary.
    Anyway, next in line: Salvation by Hamilton.
    Salvation is pretty good; not as insanely WTF is this madness as his Night's Dawn trilogy, but still fun. More than a bit derivative, structurally, of Dan Simmon's Hyperion books, but I very much doubt the ending will be nearly as arresting as those books. Still a fun time though.

I just finished Ludovic Kennedy's Pursuit, a history of the first last and only voyage of the Bismarck. I know the story of course, and since Pursuit was published in 1974, it lacks some of the facts about British signals intelligence and underwater archeology that a more modern book would certainly include.

What it lacks in up to the moment research however it more than makes up for in writing quality. Kennedy served on destroyers during the second world war - was present at Bismarck's final battle - and this gives everything an immediacy that a modern writer simply won't be able to match. As a fascinating example of how much writing styles have changed in the last 50 years, the fact that Kennedy was on HMS Tartar is mentioned only in an endnotes, as well as his father being killed in action against the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau two years prior. One can scarcely imagine a modern recounting of some tremendous event in which the author was so intimately involved where their experiences do not directly inform the entire narrative. Which in a case such as this, would do the story a tremendous disservice; the sum total of all the desperate efforts of that week in 1941 cannot be adequately told through a single person's perspective.

As it is, this first hand knowledge of 1940s naval warfare means that all the emotional and physical beats land true. The misery of long patrols in terrible north Atlantic storms, mixed feelings going into battle, the sheer size and power of the ships, it all feels genuine.

Highly recommended. My mark of an excellently readable history is when it is as involving as reading a new novel for the first time, in spite of knowing what is to come. This certainly attains that mark. It's long out of print, but used copies go pretty cheap, and are readily available online.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Decided to jump in to Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega novels. Set in the same world as Mercy Thompson, and featuring two side characters from that, they're... not bad. Certainly fun.

I had been listening to them, but I stopped after the second, Hunting Ground, because the male lead, Charles, was a bit too much of a Mary Sue/Dream Boyfriend... two-hundred year old Native American werewolf, also a shaman and with some witch training from his Welsh werewolf father, who is older than any other werewolf and their de facto king in North America. He's the hatchetman of the werewolves, killing those who get out of line. His magic means he can change faster than other werewolves (who usually take several painful minutes). He's an able tracker and woodsman and bush pilot, but he's also a financial whiz and a peerless computer hacker. He's a bit much, but post-Hunting Ground (the second novel) they tone it down a bit... he can still do all of that, but he becomes a lot more human....

Because of his mate/girlfriend. She is a special/rare type of werewolf who can calm other werewolves, even from a rage, even putting their wolves to sleep (their "wolves" being the interior portion that represents the spirit of the wolf within them; each werewolf has an individual wolf, with which they have a varying relationship). She's also the only one who can see through his tough facade and find the sensitive, funny person within. She's like 26; he's 200+, as I mentioned.

The later books in the series (Fair Game and Dead Heat) are a bit better than Hunting Ground, which was, IMO, kind of the low point of the series. Their main opposition is powerful, malevolent, faeries, so there's an element of mystery, and they introduce an FBI agent side-character who provides from official cover for their interactions with humans. I'm fair devouring the books, but they're much more paranormal romance novels, IMO, than the Mercy Thompson books, which lean a bit more towards urban fantasy fiction.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Salvation is pretty good; not as insanely WTF is this madness as his Night's Dawn trilogy, but still fun. More than a bit derivative, structurally, of Dan Simmon's Hyperion books, but I very much doubt the ending will be nearly as arresting as those books. Still a fun time though.

I just finished Ludovic Kennedy's Pursuit, a history of the first last and only voyage of the Bismarck. I know the story of course, and since Pursuit was published in 1974, it lacks some of the facts about British signals intelligence and underwater archeology that a more modern book would certainly include.

What it lacks in up to the moment research however it more than makes up for in writing quality. Kennedy served on destroyers during the second world war - was present at Bismarck's final battle - and this gives everything an immediacy that a modern writer simply won't be able to match. As a fascinating example of how much writing styles have changed in the last 50 years, the fact that Kennedy was on HMS Tartar is mentioned only in an endnotes, as well as his father being killed in action against the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau two years prior. One can scarcely imagine a modern recounting of some tremendous event in which the author was so intimately involved where their experiences do not directly inform the entire narrative. Which in a case such as this, would do the story a tremendous disservice; the sum total of all the desperate efforts of that week in 1941 cannot be adequately told through a single person's perspective.

As it is, this first hand knowledge of 1940s naval warfare means that all the emotional and physical beats land true. The misery of long patrols in terrible north Atlantic storms, mixed feelings going into battle, the sheer size and power of the ships, it all feels genuine.

Highly recommended. My mark of an excellently readable history is when it is as involving as reading a new novel for the first time, in spite of knowing what is to come. This certainly attains that mark. It's long out of print, but used copies go pretty cheap, and are readily available online.
    Everything I know about the Bismarck, I learned from Johnny Horton. How well does the song reflect the reality?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2020-10-20 at 01:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

Recently finished reading Hyperion for the first time, and it is quite the trip. My only complaints is that the detective story wasn't longer, I'm a sucker for unusual Noir stories, and that the book ends in a cliff hanger, which I was unaware of going in. Enjoyed it enough that as soon as I can find a copy of Fall of Hyperion, I'll be putting down whatever I'm reading to dive into that.

Currently about 3/4ths of the way through Midnight Sun, the newest cash grab Twilight novel. Its more Twilight, if you're up for that. I find its rather repetitive on a number of things, and would be half as long if the repetition was removed. The editor seems to have been asleep as well, the number of typos and extra/wrong words is rather high. Its entertaining in a brainless summer blockbuster action movie sort of way. The hypocrisy of the main character is troubling though, and portraying stalking as love is bad no matter how you try to phrase it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ettin in the Playground

Recently bougnt a copy of The Burrowers Beneath
    Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended. That you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear, and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. -Midsummer Night's Dream, Act 5, Scene 1

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Everything I know about the Bismarck, I learned from Johnny Horton. How well does the song reflect the reality?
    As per usual for songs, not really. MacLean wrote a short story that covers the basics if you don't want to read several hundred pages for the details.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

I mean for a three and a half minute song it isn't inaccurate per say. It's mostly wildly incomplete, but that sort of goes with the restrictions of the medium. It's worth, in my battleship-addled mind's opinion, reading a history of the Bismarck though. If nothing else it's rare you can find an event that big the outcome of which really does depend on discrete individual decisions and actions and at least two genuinely improbable things happening. C. S. Forester also wrote a novelization, The Last Nine Days of the Bismarck, which is apparently fairly accurate (on the shelf, haven't read it yet) if you prefer a fictional approach. That one's also long out of print, but again, cheap online. More recently, I recall reading this one a couple years ago, and finding it quite good. It's recent enough that it has access to all the information from surveys of the wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Recently finished reading Hyperion for the first time, and it is quite the trip. My only complaints is that the detective story wasn't longer, I'm a sucker for unusual Noir stories, and that the book ends in a cliff hanger, which I was unaware of going in. Enjoyed it enough that as soon as I can find a copy of Fall of Hyperion, I'll be putting down whatever I'm reading to dive into that.
    Hyperion is great, the sequel is also a blast and oh boy does it get crazy at the end. Highly recommended. Hyperion is actually near the top of my fiction reread pile; it's going to be a long, dark winter (snowed two inches today) and I desire something with some meat on its bones.

Just do not, whatever you do, read Ilium. If for some reason you do that, I beg you to stop before Olympus. Sure quantum-powered post-human Achilles sounds cool, but trust me, it's really, really not worth it.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Troll in the Playground

Just do not, whatever you do, read Ilium. If for some reason you do that, I beg you to stop before Olympus. Sure quantum-powered post-human Achilles sounds cool, but trust me, it's really, really not worth it.
    I picked up those books at the library when I was...15, 16? Can agree: the books are pretty much nonsense, and not in the fun way.

If you want a better take on "mythology but it's the future/alternate universe/???" story, I quite liked David Drake's Northworld series.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

Hyperion is great, the sequel is also a blast and oh boy does it get crazy at the end. Highly recommended. Hyperion is actually near the top of my fiction reread pile; it's going to be a long, dark winter (snowed two inches today) and I desire something with some meat on its bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I picked up those books at the library when I was...15, 16? Can agree: the books are pretty much nonsense, and not in the fun way.

If you want a better take on "mythology but it's the future/alternate universe/???" story, I quite liked David Drake's Northworld series.
    Thanks for the heads up. Was only planning on reading Hyperion through End of Endymion.

Good recommendations of what to stay away from are always appreciated *Cough Sword of Truth Cough* (really wish I hadn't listened to my brother's recommendation to read it on that one)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

If you like fantasy and also enjoy humor that pokes fun at that stuff, I suggest In The Company of Ogres. A Lee Martinez is the author if that means anything to you. He writes a lot of interesting kinda light hearted stories with plenty of humor.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Just finished reading Dreadnought and its sequel Sovereign, the first two books in a series about a transgender heroine. Pretty good! I'm looking forward to the third in the series.

I actually rather liked Illium and Olympus. They're weird, in fact, they're very weird, but I don't remember disliking them at any point. I also need to get around to finishing the 4th book in the Hyperion series at some point.

On the subject of weird quantum stuff in fiction, anyone else read The Fractal Prince?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    On the subject of weird quantum stuff in fiction, anyone else read The Fractal Prince?
    Read that entire trilogy and generally liked it. Pretty sure I remember talking about it with at least one other person here on a previous thread, too.
    ithilanor on Steam.

14. - Top - End - #1034

Originally Posted by warty goblin
    Interesting. I read them both years ago, and at the time was more puzzled that a lot of things simply didn't make sense.

Spoiler
    Show
    At this point I remember snippets and images--the lost reading function, the skyway of Eiffel Towers, and the rather pointless walk across the seafloor culminating in the submarine with black hole torpedos, all of which seemed to go nowhere.

But I did love the vision of the Mediterranean as a grassy valley, even if that too ended in a sequence that was pointlessly dark. In retrospect, it felt as if he cobbled together a number of different rough-draft concepts without really smoothing them together.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh yes, I love that entire trilogy a lot. (Why the Fractal Prince specifically?)
    Last edited by Eldan; 2020-10-23 at 05:42 AM.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Oh yes, I love that entire trilogy a lot. (Why the Fractal Prince specifically?)
    Ah right, had it in my head that that was the first one, but that would be Quantum Thief, wouldn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah right, had it in my head that that was the first one, but that would be Quantum Thief, wouldn't it?
    Yep. The Quantum Thief, The Fractal Prince, The Causal Angel.
    ithilanor on Steam.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I had a similar reaction to the redwall series. Good stories, i enjoyed them, but after I read a few they started feeling too sameish to hold my attention. I also felt that way about the drizzt stories. I managed to read like 4-5 series (not books, series) before I was just far too burned out on them to continue. Makes me wish I had broken up the reading with entirely different series. Maybe I would have been willing to read more of them?
    Agreed. Redwall sounded like a great setting... I've got the first three books. I think I borrowed the next, but didn't feel like continuing. I feel a bit like the Drizzt series got to that point too, but much later.

I'm working through my collection of Steven Brust. Started with Gypsy, and then shifted to Dragaera... this will keep me going for a while, but I've also realised that there are now about 6-8 books in the series I don't have!

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    Agreed. Redwall sounded like a great setting... I've got the first three books. I think I borrowed the next, but didn't feel like continuing. I feel a bit like the Drizzt series got to that point too, but much later.
    I mean Redwall is kinda aimed at, like 11 year olds? They're good stories, but really not designed for adults.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I mean Redwall is kinda aimed at, like 11 year olds? They're good stories, but really not designed for adults.
    Yes, the back of mine says "over nines", although 400 page novels aren't usually in the children's section. I was 18 when it came out and I don't think I've ever read it a second time. I don't expect a really in-depth story for pre-teens, but I believe I expected much more variety or I would have read more of the series. It's certainly not 'Watership Down', nor as good as 'Tailchaser's Song' (1985, Tad Williams, main characters are cats) which I read about the same time, both of which I have re-read many times.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    Yes, the back of mine says "over nines", although 400 page novels aren't usually in the children's section. I was 18 when it came out and I don't think I've ever read it a second time. I don't expect a really in-depth story for pre-teens, but I believe I expected much more variety or I would have read more of the series. It's certainly not 'Watership Down', nor as good as 'Tailchaser's Song' (1985, Tad Williams, main characters are cats) which I read about the same time, both of which I have re-read many times.
    I read most of them from ages 8-12, when the writing issues became so obvious I started not enjoying them anymore.

They never explained how carnivorous badgers are good but all other carnivores are bad for instance.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

Id say im reading this topic right now but i somehow feel its not what you wanted to know !

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Just finished reading Leviathan Wakes (Expanse Book 1). Fun. The plot has holes you could drive a large asteroid through, the characters are pretty much "I can noir harder than you!" "Well, I can heroic harder than you!". But I still finished it in like two sittings, and immediately reserved the next one, so, ya, it moves pretty well.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ettin in the Playground

Starting T Kingfisher's Summer in Orcus, by which I mean Ursula Vernon's Summer in Orcus, by which I mean Ursula Vernon's answer to Narnia (her words) or perhaps Coraline (my impression so far). Whether or not I like it, I'll probably end up going back to Digger afterwards, because it's been too long since I read that.

I'm also occasionally turning pages in Dushka Zapata's How to be Ferociously Happy and other essays, because I like her Quora answers and this is just a book of her Quora answers, so why not? As self-help books go, it's heavily anecdotal, moderately observational, and only slightly didactic. All very gentle.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

Because life is better when your reading list is about as tonally consistent and logical as that episode of Xena where Xena and Gabrielle were trapped in the world's lowest budget musical so they could forgive each other for assorted infanticides*, I'm currently splitting my reading between:

Axiom's End by Lindsay Ellis. OK, yes, I basically only picked this up because I like her youtube videos. But it's also good. The writing is solid in a straightforward sort of way; none of the prose exactly makes me sit up in admiration, but it's readable, has a consistent tone that modulates itself well for the current scene. The characters are quite well drawn as well, and I quite like the very slightly alternate 2007 setting. Since anyone familiar with Ellis' Youtube ouvre has a pretty good idea of what she does and does not like, there's an awful lot of fun to be had mapping this plot point or throwaway line to something she's talked about in the past. It's certainly one of the strongest pieces of recent genre fiction I can name, and well worth a read.

Battleship Bismarck: A Survivor's Story by Baron Burkard von Mullenheim-Rechberg. The author was the highest ranking survivor of Bismarck, which yes, does mean he was an officer in the German Navy in the late 1930's/early 1940's. This probably makes him one of the more, ahem, historically problematic authors I've read in a while (or ever). He makes it pretty clear in the first chapters that he was no fan of certain German political movements at the time, although given the book was written 40 years after the fact, there's obviously substantial room for somebody to paint themselves in the best possible light on that issue. So, you know, there's that.

Putting that aside to the degree possible, the book is a genuinely fascinating account of the Bismarck, and the sheer size, complexity and power of the last generation of battleships in general. It's full of fascinating details and anecdotes about things like training exercises, officer meetings, and so on. There's a ton of pictures from Bismarck's construction and fitting out that I haven't seen anywhere else, although the photographs obviously become less frequent as the text goes on, since none of the photographs taken from Bismarck survived Operation Rheinubung. The text is a good deal drier and more technical than Pursuit, but that's sort of the point. Worth scavenging up a copy if the topic is of interest; there aren't really that many first hand book length accounts from people who served on any battleship.

So yeah, just try to find the through-line in that reading list.

*A thing that actually happened, because if there's one lesson we can learn from Xena, it's that subtextual homoeroticism conquers all. And for some reason they call this the golden age of television...

26. - Top - End - #1046

Have you read Mason's Battleship Sailor? If not, see if you can find a copy. Ditto Filson's With The Battle Cruisers.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Having burned through the Patricia Briggs Alpha and Omega series, I decided I wanted some "light" reading. So, on my phone, I started Clan of the Cave Bear (which, wow, it's based on 1980s paleoanthropology), which I read years ago, and Colleen McCullough's "First Man in Rome."

Two multi-thousand page series. One in hardcopy (First Man in Rome), one electronic (Clan of the Cave Bear). Because I wanted a change of pace.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Have you read Mason's Battleship Sailor? If not, see if you can find a copy. Ditto Filson's With The Battle Cruisers.
    Ooh, thanks for the recommendation, I hadn't heard of Battleship Sailer.

I have a copy of With the Battle Cruisers, but haven't read it yet. Might grab a new copy, since I got the Scholars Select printing, which is basically a high res scan of an original printing. Not the most readable of texts in other words.

29. - Top - End - #1049

Actually, a better question might be are you a member of the US Naval Institute? Because from what I've seen of your reading tastes, you'd really like both their catalog and the Member Discount. Battleship Sailor is one they published, for the record.

Anyway, one of my gaming buddies has been reading up on the Civil War, trying to track mentions of various regiments his family served in. He loaned me a copy of Perryville by Kenneth Noe, a battle in which two of those regiments (10th Wisconsin VI and 15th Kentucky VI) fought and lost 2/5ths of their strength. I'm definitely learning a lot that will influence how I approach warfare in our games, and also kind of want to walk the ground.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Two multi-thousand page series. One in hardcopy (First Man in Rome), one electronic (Clan of the Cave Bear). Because I wanted a change of pace.
    Well, you probably wont read all of Earth's Children, because almost everyone drops it at some point. The stopping point is different for everyone, but it is very much a "read it until you hate it" series.