Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: What Books Are You Reading Right Now?

I started rereading The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams, and holy carp I had either forgotten or didn't originally realize how freaking dark the first 10% of it is! Still, unless I badly misremember, it's all uphill from that point on.

I've also got We Are Legion (We Are Bob) in my luggage; I'll probably read that on my flight home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.
    Optimization Trophies

Why not judge my optimization competition, thereby earning fame and glory? It's surprisingly easy! Military Games Act II: Mounted Defense

2. - Top - End - #842
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: What are you reading right now?

I'm reading the Broken Earth trilogy (The Fifth Season, The Obelisk Gate, The Stone Sky) by N. K. Jemisin.

For those who don't know, it's a tale about a civilization dealing with a sudden (apparently-) natural disaster, which kills many people, causing governments to impose emergency measures and leading everyone to hunker down in their little communities, trying to ride out the crisis.

It's... definitely a weird time to be reading it.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah. I started one on the Black Death a little while ago. Think it'll be summer at least before I go back to it.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Just hit the halfway point of Malazan:Book of the Fallen by finishing book 5 Midnight Tides. The thing about fantasy/sci-fi I love best is worldbuilding and while the books have it in spades, I would have a hard time even after 5 books telling you what the series is about other than *a lot*. I understand what's going on enough to follow the books, but I keep feeling like there's tons of additional connections I'm not picking up on. Taking a break before picking up book 6 by running through Joe Abercrombie's A Little Hatred.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2020-03-14 at 12:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Pixie in the Playground

Rereading the Hellboy series via the chronologically-arranged Omnibus books; also starting up Cloud Atlas.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

I just read All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault, and am continuing to plow through the Fahfrd and the Grey Mouser series; currently I'm midway through Swords Against Wizardry. Both are excellent.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I just read All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault ... Both are excellent.
    I agree All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault was quite good; I was less enamored with the sequel, They Promised Me The Gun Wasn't Loaded, which felt inconsistent and rushed, and seemed more concerned with winking at the setting's inconsistencies than actually telling a good story.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

'Annihilation' by Jeff Vandermeer. I love it.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    I agree All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault was quite good; I was less enamored with the sequel, They Promised Me The Gun Wasn't Loaded, which felt inconsistent and rushed, and seemed more concerned with winking at the setting's inconsistencies than actually telling a good story.
    That one I won't read for a while - the library got closed for the Corona virus, which I found out way too late to do anything about it.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ettin in the Playground

My local libraries just closed as well. Staff are still working in their offices, but everything is closed to the public.

On the reading front, I just cracked open Bestiary 2 (my library's copy, in fact) and felt that quiet little thrill when your eyes fall on a monster, you look over its stats, and you realize your PCs are finally at a level where you can throw it at them.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just finished the original paper on the Raft consensus protocol (pdf link), which was surprisingly readable. I'm probably going to take a stab at implementing it myself, or at least put that on my ever-growing roster of projects to do.
    ithilanor on Steam.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ettin in the Playground

Richard Morgan's Broken Angels has the same energy as Altered Carbon...but, being a sequel, it's hard to get the same feeling of immersion in the premise as in the first book. I'm waiting for it to kick me into gear.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfPirate

Was just checking out the rules for Masks (a mechanically light superhero RPG), and I have to say I love their character classes ("Playbooks"). Available as free downloads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.
    Optimization Trophies

Why not judge my optimization competition, thereby earning fame and glory? It's surprisingly easy! Military Games Act II: Mounted Defense

14. - Top - End - #854
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Just finished Becky Chambers' The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. It was good! Just the right amount of silliness. Enough to help blot out (gestures vaguely towards the entire outside world), but not so Full Of Wacky Hijinks™ that you start rolling your eyes at the over-the-topness.

So now I'm on to the sequel, A Closed and Common Orbit. Also good so far.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ettin in the Playground

Decided to check out the first book of the Laundry Files, accidentally bought book 2 as well because Amazon's interface confuses and frightens me. Finished book one and am a little way into 2.

The core ideas are interesting (although, as often happens, I'm more interested in the "historical" events alluded to), with the problem that there's an "attitude" to it that I can't quite pick out, but is more than a little distasteful. It is a bit clearer in the afterword to the first and the foreword to the second, where I get the impression that the author is somebody that I would not want to be around. Depending on how the second book goes, I might continue with the series, but it won't be going on my Top Ten list unless it really grows on me.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Just finished Becky Chambers' The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. It was good! Just the right amount of silliness. Enough to help blot out (gestures vaguely towards the entire outside world), but not so Full Of Wacky Hijinks™ that you start rolling your eyes at the over-the-topness.

So now I'm on to the sequel, A Closed and Common Orbit. Also good so far.
    Worth reading this book? I just started, read 100 pages and really didn'tlike it.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ylimanul View Post
    Worth reading this book? I just started, read 100 pages and really didn'tlike it.
    Depends on what bothers you about it. Once the book establishes the setting and characters, there's a bit less exposition (as usual for most books), but otherwise it's not that different 2/3rds of the way in from 1/3rd of the way in.

(I'm reading it on a phone (cause our library uses hoopla), so I'm not sure what your "100 pages" translates to)