Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What are you reading right now?

Finished reading Everville yesterday, that was a trip. Does a very good job of capturing the surrealism of dreams at times.

Not quite ready to move on to a new author, I started up The Scarlet Gospel once I'd finished that. Haven't actually read The Hellbound Heart, which The Scarlet Gospel is the sequel to, but I have seen all the Hellraiser movies, so I'm pretty sure I'm good on the background. Made it 55 pages in before bed yesterday, and I'm finding myself hard pressed to tell if the movies or this book is more gruesome. Actually cringing at what's being described is quite a feat. I'm actually impatient to get home and read more of it at this point, I'm hooked one could say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Just finished Game Night by Jonny Nexus, about a bunch of gods playing an RPG. Great fun with in-game and out-game talk and actions switching off.

Six gods sit down to spend an evening roleplaying. Badly.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

I've finally gotten around to reading an author I've been meaning to read for years, one Isabel Allende. Specifically Ines of My Soul, which might be my new favorite magical realism book.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Pixie in the Playground

A couple of days ago I started reading Eldest by Christopher Paolini.Very interesting, I can not tear myself away from it.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Finished The Scarlet Gospels over the weekend, could barely put the book down. Definitely my new favorite Clive Barker book.

Started up Kill Switch by Jonathan Maberry now and its great so far. Looks like its going to be an interesting take on Cthulhu mythos critters going up against Joe Ledger and his special Ops team. Should be fun.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

After a brief period of floundering, I started Tanith Lee's Cast A Bright Shadow, first in the Lionwolf trilogy. I'm enjoying it immensely; the prose is unusually beautiful even for Lee, the eternal winter setting is described just perfectly as this sort of endless pale dreamscape, and the whole thing feels almost more like mythology than fantasy. The story is about a literal half-god, and it is packed full of a strange sort of emotive sorcery that's pretty counter to a lot of modern fantasy. A basic form of invisibility for instance comes from closing your eyes, because it literally hides you from perceiving yourself as perceived.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    After a brief period of floundering, I started Tanith Lee's Cast A Bright Shadow, first in the Lionwolf trilogy.
    I really need to pick up the rest of that trilogy.

Anyway, working my way through the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe, which will, and has already been, interrupted by forays into other others. My resolve to not waste money after Christmas broke down last weekend and I picked up Tsutomu Nihei's "Blame!" and read it in two sittings. In my weak defense, a few of them were marked down for slight damage to the covers.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Currently (re)reading Hyrule Historia--but I got sidetracked when the Feb. 2019 issue of National Geographic came.
    Love is the ultimate trip. --Micky Dolenz

Rest in Peace, Peter Tork
    February 13, 1942-February 21, 2019
    Men are Mortal
    Music lives Forever

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

On to Gulag Archipelago. One of these days I might read something happy, but it is not this day.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

Started End of Watch by Stephen King yesterday. Its book three in the Mr. Mercedes series (trilogy?). An old enemy from Mr. Mercedes seems to be back and causing trouble with brain trauma fueled psychic powers.

Seem to be on a horror kick this past week, and just blowing through books. Might actually make a dent on my backlog. Must resist urge to go book shopping... XD

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    On to Gulag Archipelago. One of these days I might read something happy, but it is not this day.
    I read that in high school, what I particularly remember was the author turning exciting and horrible events into the driest appraisal possible over a very long book.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Must resist urge to go book shopping... XD
    Good luck fellow biblioholic.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I read that in high school, what I particularly remember was the author turning exciting and horrible events into the driest appraisal possible over a very long book.
    It's definitely been a lot drier than A Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich, by the same author. It's nonfiction though, and by nonfiction standards it seems pretty typical.

-- ChubbyRain

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

I've just started Fellowship of the Ring, partially because I want to reread the first two before trying Return of the King again, partially because I'm starting a Middle-Earth game later today.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I've just started Fellowship of the Ring, partially because I want to reread the first two before trying Return of the King again, partially because I'm starting a Middle-Earth game later today.
    One thing to keep in mind about Return of the King is that Sam is awesome, and Frodo's job is to accompany Sam to dilute his awesomeness with his lameness, which keeps them from being detected.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    One thing to keep in mind about Return of the King is that Sam is awesome, and Frodo's job is to accompany Sam to dilute his awesomeness with his lameness, which keeps them from being detected.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, as I remember FotR and TTT there's a trend of Sam growing stronger as Frodo gets more passive, which continues in RotK as Sam grows into a much more active and heroic role and Frodo begins acting as more of a sidekick. I'm interested to see how they works in the book.

Honestly, rereading FotR is reminding of the shortcomings of the films, from how the Bakshi version had to mutilate every scene to fit the story into it's runtime, to how the Peter Jackson versions made early Frodo so much more passive so that the ring's effect on him is less notable.

I have to say, I recently listened to the BBC radio adaption, and it's a great version of the story. It's part of the reason I'm going through the book(s) again, even if there's elements I'd much rather weren't in they're there's still a lot on there that I've forgotten and want to remember.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

I've started my 3rd attempt to read the The Wheel of Time series. I remember last time I hazily made it to book 8 before bailing out, but I can't recall a single detail. Is it worth reading into again?

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I've started my 3rd attempt to read the The Wheel of Time series. I remember last time I hazily made it to book 8 before bailing out, but I can't recall a single detail. Is it worth reading into again?
    As light reading it can be. The book series has issues with pacing and complexity, adding sub-characters ad nauseam for most of the series and rarely tying up a plot until the end.

What I liked was the prose being very easy to read for long periods of time, and having a fairly developed formula of building to a big event for each protagonist by the end of the current book. I had a lot of time in high school though, and I enjoy reading just to chew words.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Man, I've successfully read the entire Wheel of time years ago and many of the details in between the beginning and the end are hazy and lost to me today. I can't recall most of the main characters names. do you really want a pitch for why you should try reading it again, or do you want the TL;DR version of how it ends? because the latter is easier than the former, and probably save you a lot of time.

I mean its a good series don't get me wrong. and the ending makes sense.

its just, I don't want to torture you by making you read it again if its that much of a slog to you. its a long series, and not everyone can read through books at the pace I do. it really sounds as if your better off just being told the ending so that you don't have to dread going through it all and slogging through entire books that people are pretty sure are filler or mostly filler.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 25! I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #560

GreataxeFighterGirl

Man, I've successfully read the entire Wheel of time years ago and many of the details in between the beginning and the end are hazy and lost to me today. I can't recall most of the main characters names. do you really want a pitch for why you should try reading it again, or do you want the TL;DR version of how it ends? because the latter is easier than the former, and probably save you a lot of time.

I mean its a good series don't get me wrong. and the ending makes sense.

its just, I don't want to torture you by making you read it again if its that much of a slog to you. its a long series, and not everyone can read through books at the pace I do. it really sounds as if your better off just being told the ending so that you don't have to dread going through it all and slogging through entire books that people are pretty sure are filler or mostly filler.
    I guess the former (sorry! ). It's a renowned series, after all, and one of the fundamentals to the fantasy genre. I (think) I'm a pretty avid fan of fantasy and I'd hate to miss out on one of its staples.

There's probably a plethora of personal reasons I opted out -- I guess I'd like some opinions on if it's worth diving in again for the long run.

No intentional offense to anyone, ofc.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

I guess the former (sorry! ). It's a renowned series, after all, and one of the fundamentals to the fantasy genre. I (think) I'm a pretty avid fan of fantasy and I'd hate to miss out on one of its staples.

There's probably a plethora of personal reasons I opted out -- I guess I'd like some opinions on if it's worth diving in again for the long run.

No intentional offense to anyone, ofc.
    Okay then.

lets try and figure out the reasons why you should try to read it again:
    -because you can go to your local book club and brag that you read it four times and make them scared of your apparent insanity
    -because Mat Cauthon and his crazy luck powers is so great to read and the funniest part of the whole series
    -because its fun to watch Rand freak out over having a harem.
    -because you can spend more time figuring how the Aiel's society works again
    -because all those descriptions of costumes and clothing could be good inspiration
    -because you get to read about Robert Jordan's....interesting views of men and women all over again?
    -because all those cultures and worldbuilding interacting is interesting to read about
    -because Brandon Sanderson did a good job of writing up the last few books
    -because there is no beginning nor ending to reading the Wheel of Time, but starting it will be A beginning.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 25! I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #562
    Halfling in the Playground

The Charioteer by Mary Renault.

It's great so far, just a bit longwinded.

23. - Top - End - #563

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    That is an excellent choice. I read that last year.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

Just the first book, or all three volumes?

25. - Top - End - #565

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Just the first book, or all three volumes?
    I only got through the first volume so far, but intend to read the rest either later this year or perhaps next year. As this year began I needed to get into a bit of light reading.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

Number three is a stub, since he pretty much burned out on the process. FYI.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Bugbear in the Playground

The libraries in our town have created a 2019 Reading Challenge. It's basically just a checklist of arbitrary categories of books that you are meant to read during 2019, but my girlfriend and I figured it was a good motivation to get some more reading into our lives this year, so we both took up the challenge.

So far, I've read "A book longer than 500 pages" (Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds), "A book that takes place in the future" (The Foundation by Isaac Asimov) and "A book from my childhood" (Albion's Dream by Roger Norman). I am also in the process of reading "A non-fiction book" (The New Penguin History of the World by J.M. Roberts), but it's a bit of a mammoth work, so I've decided to take it a chapter a day, alongside my other reading.

Spoiler: The full list of categories, if you are curious.
    Show
    A book longer than 500 pages.
    A book published this year.
    A book by an author I am not familiar with.
    A book based on a true story.
    A book that is more than 100 years old.
    A funny book.
    A book published the year I was born.
    A memoir.
    An anthology of poetry.
    A book written by an author with the same first name as me.
    A work of crime fiction.
    A classic.
    A book recommended by a librarian.
    A book that has been adapted into a movie.
    A non-fiction book.
    A book that takes place in the future.
    A graphic novel.
    A book with an animal in its title.
    An award-winning book.
    A book from my childhood.
    A book that takes place in the area where I live.
    A book with a beautiful cover.
    A thriller.
    A book with poor reviews.
    A book with an ugly cover.
    A book that makes me cry.

Note: We decided that it was against the spirit of the challenge to count one book for multiple categories, even if it could technically fit. For example, Revelation Space is both longer than 500 pages and set in the future, but I only allow it to count for one of the categories.

As for my verdict on the books I've read so far, I liked Revelation Space (but found it a bit rushed towards the end), loved The Foundation (currently have some of the sequels ordered at the library) and found Albion's Dream to be a nice nostalgia trip (but just like when I was a child, I thought the ending of the story rather abrupt and weird).
    Last edited by Corlindale; 2019-02-06 at 02:47 AM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Colossus in the Playground

If you liked Revelation space, check out Chasm City sometime. It's a Sequel/Prequel, but manages, I feel, to have a tighter plot and better pacing, plus it's on a smaller scale without the galactic threat at the end.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    If you liked Revelation space, check out Chasm City sometime. It's a Sequel/Prequel, but manages, I feel, to have a tighter plot and better pacing, plus it's on a smaller scale without the galactic threat at the end.
    Not to mention Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap, might as well finish the main trilogy if you liked the first book. The pacing thing seems to be part of his style, where the first 350-400 pages are semi-calm character/story building bits and then the last bit of the book is mad-dash action. I've learned to not pick up one of his books near bedtime if I'm in the last 200 pages or so, otherwise I don't sleep till I'm done!
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2019-02-06 at 09:42 AM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Not to mention Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap, might as well finish the main trilogy if you liked the first book. The pacing thing seems to be part of his style, where the first 350-400 pages are semi-calm character/story building bits and then the last bit of the book is mad-dash action. I've learned to not pick up one of his books near bedtime if I'm in the last 200 pages or so, otherwise I don't sleep till I'm done!
    I found the rest of the Trilogy a bit unfocused and rambling towards the end. The short story collection Galactic North and The Prefect (the pre-prequel) are both quite good, though.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "