Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: What are you reading right now?

I'm reading the Broken Earth trilogy (The Fifth Season, The Obelisk Gate, The Stone Sky) by N. K. Jemisin.

For those who don't know, it's a tale about a civilization dealing with a sudden (apparently-) natural disaster, which kills many people, causing governments to impose emergency measures and leading everyone to hunker down in their little communities, trying to ride out the crisis.

It's... definitely a weird time to be reading it.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah. I started one on the Black Death a little while ago. Think it'll be summer at least before I go back to it.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Just hit the halfway point of Malazan:Book of the Fallen by finishing book 5 Midnight Tides. The thing about fantasy/sci-fi I love best is worldbuilding and while the books have it in spades, I would have a hard time even after 5 books telling you what the series is about other than *a lot*. I understand what's going on enough to follow the books, but I keep feeling like there's tons of additional connections I'm not picking up on. Taking a break before picking up book 6 by running through Joe Abercrombie's A Little Hatred.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2020-03-14 at 12:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Pixie in the Playground

Rereading the Hellboy series via the chronologically-arranged Omnibus books; also starting up Cloud Atlas.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

I just read All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault, and am continuing to plow through the Fahfrd and the Grey Mouser series; currently I'm midway through Swords Against Wizardry. Both are excellent.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I just read All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault ... Both are excellent.
    I agree All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault was quite good; I was less enamored with the sequel, They Promised Me The Gun Wasn't Loaded, which felt inconsistent and rushed, and seemed more concerned with winking at the setting's inconsistencies than actually telling a good story.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

'Annihilation' by Jeff Vandermeer. I love it.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    I agree All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault was quite good; I was less enamored with the sequel, They Promised Me The Gun Wasn't Loaded, which felt inconsistent and rushed, and seemed more concerned with winking at the setting's inconsistencies than actually telling a good story.
    That one I won't read for a while - the library got closed for the Corona virus, which I found out way too late to do anything about it.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Firbolg in the Playground

My local libraries just closed as well. Staff are still working in their offices, but everything is closed to the public.

On the reading front, I just cracked open Bestiary 2 (my library's copy, in fact) and felt that quiet little thrill when your eyes fall on a monster, you look over its stats, and you realize your PCs are finally at a level where you can throw it at them.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just finished the original paper on the Raft consensus protocol (pdf link), which was surprisingly readable. I'm probably going to take a stab at implementing it myself, or at least put that on my ever-growing roster of projects to do.
    ithilanor on Steam.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ettin in the Playground

Richard Morgan's Broken Angels has the same energy as Altered Carbon...but, being a sequel, it's hard to get the same feeling of immersion in the premise as in the first book. I'm waiting for it to kick me into gear.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Was just checking out the rules for Masks (a mechanically light superhero RPG), and I have to say I love their character classes ("Playbooks"). Available as free downloads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Just finished Becky Chambers' The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. It was good! Just the right amount of silliness. Enough to help blot out (gestures vaguely towards the entire outside world), but not so Full Of Wacky Hijinks™ that you start rolling your eyes at the over-the-topness.

So now I'm on to the sequel, A Closed and Common Orbit. Also good so far.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ettin in the Playground

Decided to check out the first book of the Laundry Files, accidentally bought book 2 as well because Amazon's interface confuses and frightens me. Finished book one and am a little way into 2.

The core ideas are interesting (although, as often happens, I'm more interested in the "historical" events alluded to), with the problem that there's an "attitude" to it that I can't quite pick out, but is more than a little distasteful. It is a bit clearer in the afterword to the first and the foreword to the second, where I get the impression that the author is somebody that I would not want to be around. Depending on how the second book goes, I might continue with the series, but it won't be going on my Top Ten list unless it really grows on me.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ylimanul View Post
    Worth reading this book? I just started, read 100 pages and really didn'tlike it.
    Depends on what bothers you about it. Once the book establishes the setting and characters, there's a bit less exposition (as usual for most books), but otherwise it's not that different 2/3rds of the way in from 1/3rd of the way in.

(I'm reading it on a phone (cause our library uses hoopla), so I'm not sure what your "100 pages" translates to)

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ylimanul View Post
    Worth reading this book? I just started, read 100 pages and really didn'tlike it.
    I mean it never actually develops anything particularly resembling a plot, so if you want a book where things happen, it ain't gonna do it for you. It's not bad as a bit of character-centric fun though.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Pixie in the Playground

a large list made up of this thread
    there will be something to read in quarantine
    be safe

18. - Top - End - #858
    Colossus in the Playground

Trying Malazan Book of the Fallen, since I've heard people gushing about it for years now. A chapter or two into Gardens of the Moon, so far and... eh? A bit tepid, so far. Not really hooked. A lot of names thrown around, which I don't usually have a problem with, but they don't really seem to evoke anything here, they are just there, it doesn't feel like there's any history attached to them. It doesn't help that a lot of it looks like it's out of an RPG name generator.

(What really didn't help was the author's foreword, which came across as a lot of self-agrandizing tosh. Apparently, I will either love or hate his book, because he doens't spoon feed me information, so I might just not be engaged enough.)
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

19. - Top - End - #859
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Trying Malazan Book of the Fallen, since I've heard people gushing about it for years now. A chapter or two into Gardens of the Moon, so far and... eh?
    My brothers loved it. I pushed my way through it, but it was totally not worth it. I didn't connect with any of the characters, and just could not care enough to go through and sequels.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

Trying Malazan Book of the Fallen, since I've heard people gushing about it for years now. A chapter or two into Gardens of the Moon, so far and... eh? A bit tepid, so far. Not really hooked. A lot of names thrown around, which I don't usually have a problem with, but they don't really seem to evoke anything here, they are just there, it doesn't feel like there's any history attached to them. It doesn't help that a lot of it looks like it's out of an RPG name generator.

(What really didn't help was the author's foreword, which came across as a lot of self-agrandizing tosh. Apparently, I will either love or hate his book, because he doens't spoon feed me information, so I might just not be engaged enough.)
    I'm currently re-re-reading the Malazan series since I've got a lot of time on my hands, and pretty much all of your complains are correct. In fact, the books are based off of a GURPS campaign that the author was in. Hell, the most 'badass' character in the entire series was... the author's character in said campaign.

Gardens of the Moon has a lot of flaws and frankly just skipping it and going straight into Deadhouse Gates might be better for you, and then going back. I enjoy the books a lot, but they're certainly not perfect and Erikson's foreword is pretty crappy of him to say.

Oh, and content warning for the rest of the series: there is a lot of sexual violence in the Malazan books. It's my biggest complaint about the entire series, really. So don't keep reading through the series if that's not something you're willing to put up with.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

21. - Top - End - #861

Still soldiering on through Gardens of the Moon. Several more chapters in right now and still feeling as if nothing at all is happening. Does not help that every chapter seems to be introducing new characters who then don't stick around much.
    "

22. - Top - End - #862
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Just finished the following:
    Evil by necessity: great book that's basically in a DND world where good has finally beat evil completely but it's thrown the planes of good and evil out of wack and will destroy the world unless the few brave evil souls left bring back evil. It's a great twist on the "quest to save the world" genre.
    The Dire saga: superhero setting, and not so hero main character. It's pretty good bit I don't think I can describe it. It's something best understood by reading.
    Supervillainy and other poor career choices 1 and 2: great story, basically about an actual engineer who looks at super tech built by people with powers that do the thinking for them and goes "I can do much better than that" and then he does. Last book feels like it's set up for a 3rd book but I can't find one, so if anyone knows about that I'd be grateful.
    Hardluck Hank Screw the galaxy: basically a sci-fi crime story about this space station that's 100% illegal stuff. The main character is a mutant whose immune to most forms of damage, bullets, knives, etc. He works as a diplomat between gangs because no one can kill him when they get mad.
    my campaign logs
    Spoiler
    Show

my homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

kobold inventor class
    [url]http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?587315-kobold-inventor-class-5E-(opinions-wanted)[/url

23. - Top - End - #863

Dire Saga... about Doctor Dire? If it's the one I mean, I remember being in the game that birthed that character. The author is a forum regular here. I should really look up those books sometime.

Edit: okay, "regular" is a bit generous. I haven't seen LD and quite a few of the regular TW crew on the forum for years and years.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2020-04-21 at 08:28 AM.
    "

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been rereading the Malazan series myself in quarantine. And since I also want something new, I read An Alien In A Small Town by Jim Cleaveland and I'm currently in book two of the Kingkiller Chronicle.

An Alien In A Small Town is a very interesting read. It's obviously science fiction, but it's also very much a religious book - to the point where I'd say that religious aspect is the more important one. I really enjoyed it, even if I'm not religious myself.

The Kingkiller books are very well written and have a lot of interesting world-building; the magic system Rothfuss uses is well developed and interesting (almost Sandersonian, in fact) and what's explained about the world history and mythology is great. It's enough to make the books quite enjoyable in spite of the fact that Kvothe, the main character, is an unlikable tool.

Eldan: it took me three tries to get through Gardens of the Moon. I got through to the second section of the book and stopped caring at first, powered through and got distracted, and then finished it on the third go through. Given that I'm currently re-reading the whole Malazan series again, you can tell that they grew on me a lot. As I said in my previous post, if you have trouble getting through it reading Deadhouse Gates (which was written a decade later and as a novel, rather than as a screen-play which is what Gardens of the Moon was adapted from) might suit you better and then you can go back, if you feel like it.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

25. - Top - End - #865

You should see the furious discussions in the fandom about whether Kvothe is an unlikeable tool on purpose (unreliable narrator) or not.
    "

26. - Top - End - #866
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Dire Saga... about Doctor Dire? If it's the one I mean, I remember being in the game that birthed that character. The author is a forum regular here. I should really look up those books sometime.

Edit: okay, "regular" is a bit generous. I haven't seen LD and quite a few of the regular TW crew on the forum for years and years.
    Yes, Doctor Dire. And the fact that she's from a game makes a lot of sense. What system?
    my campaign logs
    Spoiler
    Show

my homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

kobold inventor class
    [url]http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?587315-kobold-inventor-class-5E-(opinions-wanted)[/url

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ogre in the Playground

You should see the furious discussions in the fandom about whether Kvothe is an unlikeable tool on purpose (unreliable narrator) or not.
    I'd perhaps be a bit more open to that as an interesting part of the book if I hadn't already read Book of the New Sun, which is probably the best "first-person narrator who is unreliable" series of books I've ever run into or even heard of.

Honestly, I find Kvothe's "present day" character to be as much of an unlikable tool as his narration portrays him, so I'd lean towards "not on purpose", but eh.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

28. - Top - End - #868

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    ... as a screen-play which is what Gardens of the Moon was adapted from...

That makes a surprising amount of sense, looking at how it's written. Though I'm a stubborn bastard, I pretty much never stop reading a book once I've started. There's only like three I haven't finished in my life.
    "

29. - Top - End - #869

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    Yes, Doctor Dire. And the fact that she's from a game makes a lot of sense. What system?
    Homebrew system called "Total War". Me and some others have been playing on this forum on and off for about ten years now. People play a faction in in a city fighting for control, turns are usually a week or a month. Doctor Dire was one of hte villain factions in a superhero game called "Cape City", though I'm not sure if the character idea was around before that. You'd have to ask Lost Demiurge himself.

We had been playing either fantasy factions or near-future sci fi nations in games before that, the idea for Cape City came about because pretty much all of us had been reading the web novel "Worm" at the time.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2020-04-21 at 09:01 AM.
    "

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ettin in the Playground

I started on Hunt's Fire and Ice, about the liberation of Finnmark region of Norway, and the German scorched earth policy prior to the Red Army showed up, but I put it aside after the fifth time I threw it at the wall over the actions of the Oslo government during and after the war. It takes some doing to make the Red Army look better than an elected government, but they put the effort in.

In exchange, I switched to Balkowski's Beyond the Beachhead, which has been most informative and hasn't been thrown once.