New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

eek The Woods Are Lovely, Dark and Deep [IC]

City of Karolinstadt, Dawn

Karolinstadt is a large city of wood and stone, known, appropriately, for its woodworking and masonry. It is the Ducal capital of Freissenheim, a region at the very western edge of the Kingdom and the continent. The western woods seem to stretch on forever, before finally eventually reaching sheer cliffs too high to justify settling. Freissenheim is as backwoods as backwoods can get, leaving it to be ignored by most of the kingdom save for the Royal Commission. Duke Pietr still tries to run a tight ship, so it's no surprise that he pestered the Royal Commission into sending a large investigative expedition to Lumberford at the earliest sign of issue.

Chief Inspector Adalbert of the Royal Commission is a no-nonsense man. He stands at the Western gate of the city at precisely the time he said he would be. He is dressed in an impressive-looking dark red uniform, his graying hair slicked back and his impressive moustache nearly covering his top lip entirely. As the sun rises and the locals begin to groggily begin their day, Adalbert is already fully alert. Next to him, a much younger and much more tired individual carries several large books. Adalbert brushes off any attempt at conversation until you each arrive, at which point he begins in a formal voice. "Very well, I believe this is everyone in attendance. All well and proper. As you each know, Royal Protector Ivan of Lumberford is reporting an increased amount of strange incidences... However unfortunately infrequent those reports may be... especially considering the town's normally commendable track record when it comes to avoiding the mischievous miscreancy of those contemptuous creatures that dwell within our kingdom." Indeed, Lumberford has had so few incidences that one might, on paper, confuse it for one of the relatively natureless areas at the centre of Heiligast.

Adalbert gestures towards the books the young man is carrying. "Everything we know is contained in these reports from Royal Protector Ivan. The man's had his post for a number of decades. This comes with a certain... decline in the specificity and regularity of reports. It's tough to issue him reprimands, given the region's difficult geography." Adalbert is speaking specifically about the difficulty of travel between Karolinstadt and Lumberford. Travelling between the two is a two-day hike, with several inclines, river crossings, and areas of rocky terrain separating them. Because of this, horses are little help and bringing a cart along is impossible. Lumberford is mostly self-sufficient in terms of supplies, and it offers a one-way contribution to the kingdom according to their namesake; the citizens of Lumberford chop wood and send it downriver to Karolinstadt on barges.

The assistant begins to put the books in a large satchel. "You are to meet with Royal Protector Ivan once you have reached Lumberfood. See what new issues ail the village, and at the very least deliver to him a strong admonishment on my behalf," Adalbert puts an envelope into the satchel, "encouraging him to be more dutiful in his role." The assistant hands the satchel to Jophine. "If anything of grave concern arises, you can quickly send a message by the river. It will take about a day for us to receive the message, and another two for any assistance to arrive. Be safe, and make the Royal Commission proud." With that, Adalbert and his assistant put their fists over their chests and nods, the latter with far less conviction and enthusiasm, and the two depart. This leaves you at the Gate, with no horses and no entertainment other than the five others of varying acquaintance. The tall buildings of Karolingradt cast long shadows over you as the sun begins to rise in the east. Follow the river, talk to Ivan, report back, don't die.

Spoiler: Cassius
    Show
    Karolinstadt is barely a home to you. A good portion of your original village emigrated and the population could no longer support having two protectors. Because of your lack of seniority, you were re-stationed to Karolingradt just over two years ago. Being one of the protectors of a large city meant fewer day-to-day fey disturbances, but meant that you could be travelling greater distances to areas so remote that they could not sustain having even one protector. You rarely even get a chance to sleep in the city itself or interact with other Commissioners. The long days of travelling go by slowly, but you had your first taste of excitement four months ago. The village of Aach had been brazenly attacked by a large number of goblins, and even the Knights of the Yew Branch had been called in help the Royal Commission clear out the settlement. You recognize one of these brave knights, the strange pale man with antlers, as your companions. You had been commended for your service, but quickly returned to the same old beat. Despite the presence of two investigators, with whom you've barely become acquainted, this trip seems to be no different...

Spoiler: Jophine
    Show
    Karolinstadt... the latest in a long list of areas you had been posted. A few years of promotions, side-motions, downsizing, and reconfigurations have lead you here. You've been here barely six months. You'd become well acquainted with Investigator Syrel during this time. Adalbert himself insisted quite forcefully that you get out of the libraries and go on an expedition. You were surprised that such a mission even warranted two investigators, let alone a man of the church, a protector, and these two... others. The woman you vaguely recognize from your time at the Royal Capital. There's also a man, a striking pale man with, are those antlers?

Spoiler: Regina
    Show
    Your first real mission is upon you. Years of tutors and personal study have prepared you for this. After begging to get out into the world, and realizing that trying to treat you like your three sisters would be futile, your family relented and arranged for you to be part of a routine expedition. They've each set realistic expectations for the banality of this mission, but still you jumped at the opportunity as a springboard to bigger and better things. Still, if the mission is supposedly no big deal, why send so many? Two investigators and a protector from the Commission itself? Still, you're surprised to see some familiar faces. Your old friend from the Mortimer family is present, as well as that antlered fellow who had caused quite the stir at the last Royal Gala.

Spoiler: Robband
    Show
    The White King protect you, you couldn't help think as you saw those who you would be travelling with. Being called into Karolingrad on official business due to your position in the church made sense. But why was Regina here? She was a civilian. A noble, but still a civilian. You were not able to attend the most recent Royal Gala, but you had heard the stories of the antlered one. You're not sure if the Welverlings' little publicity stunt had backfired or not; they were certainly the talk of the Kingdom, but not always positively so. Still, if Chief Inspector Adalbert deemed him necessary, then there would be no protests (at least in his presence). Six people on an expedition was certainly more than normal, especially given these people's qualifications.

Spoiler: Sabir
    Show
    You were used to people having double-takes, walking faster, or crossing the street when in your presence. Even here in the countryside people weren't accustomed to seeing something somewhat from the fey world. What you weren't used to was members of the Royal Commission here going through painful lengths to treat you with respect. Not due to your noble status, newly-found as it was, but instead on order of Adalbert himself. The enforced respect seemed to come across as even more insulting, somehow. As you approach the gate you spot some familiar faces. Lady Westin is present, having met her at the Gala. You also recognize the symbol of the Mortimer family, right next to the symbol of the White King, on another man.
    The protector is also very familiar to you, having fought beside him four months ago as the Order of the Yew Branch and the Royal Commission had helped liberate the village of Aach from goblins. What an interesting group of people, and surprisingly large in number.

Spoiler: Syrel
    Show
    Assigning a second investigator to an investigation was not too uncommon, but usually the result of much stronger evidence of danger. Still, knowing Ms. Dustwallow as you do, it's not too hard to wonder why she might have been ordered away from the Royal Commission's headquarters. Typically an expedition would contain mostly hired muscle or local guards. Two investigators, a protector, a knight (an antlered one at that), a priest (of The White King, joy), and a mage? Something must be going on, but you surmise that additional precautions were necessary due to the possibility of two bodies worth of noble blood potentially being on the line.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The Woods Are Lovely, Dark and Deep [IC]

Cassius waits attentively until Adalbert finishes his brief and departs before turning to the others gathered in front of the gate. He looks at each in turn, clearly deciding where he should begin with introductions before relaxing and turning toward Sabir, hand extended.

"Good to cross roads with you again Sabir. I'm not one to put much stock in chance or fate but we certainly seem to encounter one another a fair bit."
    He cracks a brief grin then faces everyone else."Greetings to you all. I am Cassius Shaw, a protector of the royal commission. I've heard of several of you (his eyes turn toward Jophine and Robbard), but I had not had the priviledge of meeting you in person."

Cassius will extend a handshake to the men of the party and offer respectful nod to women. Then with a shoulder roll and some other stretches he settles his gear and armor more comfortably and waits for the others to either continue introductions or begin travel.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Syrel stifles a yawn and leans against a nearby wall. A genuine, if slightly crooked, smile crosses his face as he regards his newest compatriots.

"Well met, kids and my honorable fellow geriatric," He gestures warmly toward Robband, "We've got ourselves a job to do."

"Miss Dustwallow, think you can read through that bag of bricks along the road? Seems to me that we'd best be quick on our way. No doubt we can get more acquainted with the others on the road, seeing as we'll be on foot. Care to walk with me for a bit, Cassius? It would be good to have local experience to draw on."

Syrel pauses for a moment, noticing his own haste.

"Unless, of course, someone has obligations to get to prior to our leaving or points of interest best said immediately?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Robband bows respectfully and makes the sign of the White King as Adalbert and his assistant depart. In truth, there was much in the Chief Inspector's report that worried him. And then there was the question of his present company as well - surely it wasn't normal to have two investigators and a protector on a mission as simple as this?

Lost in his thoughts, Robband fails to notice for a few seconds that Cassius is extending a handshake to him.

"Oh! Yes... indeed, it is good to make your acquaintance, Protector Cassius", he says a little hurriedly, shaking Cassius' hand.

"I am Robband Mortimer, holy servant of the White King. On behalf of my superiors I would like to extend my thanks to the Royal Commission for allowing me to accompany you all on this expedition," he continues, nodding respectfully to the two investigators.

Turning towards Sabir, Robband opens his mouth as if to speak but clearly struggles to find the words, instead settling for a polite nod before striking up a conversation with Regina.

"Lady Regina, truly it is an unexpected joy to see you after so long a time! May I assume from your presence here that you continue to excel in your studies?"

Ninja'd:
    Quote Originally Posted by Scripten View Post
    "Well met, kids and my honorable fellow geriatric," He gestures warmly toward Robband,
    [snip]
    Robband looks briefly shocked, but allows himself a slight smile as he realises Syrel means no disrespect.

"By all means, let us make a start on our journey. If protector Ivan requires our assistance, then we had best not delay."
    Last edited by Slingsby; 2017-07-31 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Catching typos
    Colborn "Col" Setwall - Lv. 3 Human Monk | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Raam Hope - Tiefling NPC Commoner | IC | OOC | Sheet

Is futile to argue. Nod. Get treat.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Jophine Duskwallow
    Second level Bard

Jophine is up early on the day of departure. She was shocked when the note had arrived the night before. You presence is required in Lumberford. You will be along to chronicle the journey. Good ridd luck on your journey. She had wondered what the crossed out section was about until she realized the next morning that they'd be traveling afoot. Her superior obviously thought they'd be riding and wished her well on it, but changed at the last moment.

As Chief Inspector Adelbert (what kind of name is Adelbert, anyway? Where did he come from? Has he always had that mustache? It looks amazing on him, and the trim of his uniform is so handsome when contrasted with the almost silver in his hair.) began, Jophine, as always, paid rapt attention. On several occasions, she attempted to interrupt the Chief Inspector, but he rolled right over her attempts to ask questions. People always did that to her, so she was used to it. She'd save the questions for the end.

Before she knows it, a satchel is shoved in her arms and Adelbert and the cute young man with him are gone before she even realizes he's done speaking. "Well," she mutters to herself. "Isn't that a fine way to start." Jophine watches them leave for a few moments before turning around to look at the group she is now with. Quite a group had been gathered. She does some mental math and wonders if there isn't more to the story than just a quick investigation.

Jophine perks up when Syrel addresses her. "Oh, hi Syrel!. It's great to see someone along who I know." She adjusts the satchel on her shoulder and silently wonders if Syrel isn't correct in assuming that it was full of bricks. She opens the flap and looks inside before letting it fall closed again. "Well, I was hoping to get started on my own journal, but I can work through these on our way as well. It'll be tough to walk and read at the same time, but as long as...oh! You mean like...when we camp and stuff, right? I've read about making camp, and I think I knew a few places along the path that will make for great campsites. Unfortunately, three of them are all within a half-hour walk of each other, so I'm not sure that those will be as useful."

She looks at the others, some of whom she had seen around before, and a few brand new faces. Her gaze falls on Sabir for a few moments. Strikingly handsome, and extras to boot. Hmmm. What could those be used for, she wonders.

"So much nobility along," she muses aloud. "Certainly a curious expedition." She then speaks a little louder. "Hi guys!. I'm Jophine. My friends call me Jo...or Joph...or Jophine." Her eyes roll up a bit and her mouth puckers in thought. "So do people who don't like me, actually."
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-07-31 at 02:03 PM.
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Sabir takes in the whole group that he would be reporting to. How exciting this all was! A new job, a way to help out with word and sword and shield... he just had to hope he would do well. It was so hard to chose whom to talk to first. Would they like him? Would they find him curious? Would they want him far from them? Giving a mental nod to himself, Sabir vows to not make them regret his presence, Fey meddling with his blood or not.

His musings get interrupted when one of the men speaks to him and reaches out a hand and... is that... "Cassius!" Sabir's face erupts into the brightest smile."It seems the fates smile on me once again, how lovely to have such a fine traveling companion along! I hope you and your loved ones are well."

Still smiling widely, Sabir takes in the rest of the group, almost missing what was spoken about when his gaze gets caught by the man leaning against a near wall, smile faltering. There was... something about him. For the blink of an eye, there was a shadow about him, a haze, something that smelled like deep, moonless nights and dew on poisonous plants. A shiver ran down Sabir's back. Then he blinked and it was gone, the man just a normal, charming fellow again.

Sabir knew the feeling. I am so sorry, nameless friend. They touched you too, didn't they? A secret that is best kept quiet. He wore their touch outside his body for all the world to see, he wouldn't want another to be facing the same dislike, the same looks and whispers.

Robband snaps him out of his sad musings with well placed words. As he turns to Sabir, the latter opens his mouth in joy for a reply, but there is only awkward silence between them for a moment and the holy servant turns away before Sabir can bridge the pause with a hello. Well then. Closing his mouth, the Tiefling lets his shoulders drop. Maybe there would be another moment to make a first... second..? impression.

He nearly jumps out of his skin when Jophine takes up the word, not having seen her for a moment out of his peripheral vision and immediately the smile is back. This woman was much easier to talk to than the other royal members that had gathered in this spot. "You're a royal," he mentally reminds himself, but... the idea just wouldn't stick, even after years. Sword or not, he would never want to forget the feeling of freshly grown carrots ripped from rich, dark soil with his bare hands.

With a bow, he addresses the whole group. "I am Sabir Co-..." Royal. Royal! "I- I mean, I am Sabir of House Welvering. I will do my best to serve and protect this venture. Do not hesitate to ask me for help." He pauses, blinks. "Actually, it is I that might need help. The clasps on my right side are terribly hard to close with my left. I mean... uh, what I'm trying to say is, I am ready to go wherever the leaders of this group wish to go." To underline his words, he pats the satchel slung over his back.

Then he turns to Jophine with a great amount of excitement radiating off him. "You seem to know a lot of things! So, what would you favor to be called then?"
    Last edited by Daevah; 2017-07-31 at 03:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Jophine Duskwallow
    Second level Bard

The amazing man with the...growths (?) antlers (?)(she'd heard of half-orc, but not half-elk)...on his head turns and addresses Jophine. She opens her mouth to respond, but nothing comes out. That's strange. Something was always on the tip of her tongue. She closes her mouth and thinks for a moment. "Nobody's every asked me that before. I believe I like Jo. Or, really, Joph would be fine as well. Though, Jophine was what my parents always called me. They may be upset if I purposely chose another name. So....Jo, Joph, or Jophine will be fine. That's so kind of you to ask!."
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-07-31 at 04:28 PM.

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Regina had a giant grin on her face and was practically vibrating with excitement. She was out in public in trousers. Trousers! And a very smart looking jacket with pockets for all sorts of things. And she was carrying her own pack. If her sister Esme could see Regina now she'd just die. She had gotten to the gate several minutes early and tried several times to engage Adalbert in conversation despite his deflections, but when the conversation started she forced herself to focus and listened carefully. A hike to some place called Lumberford and some tedious business involving a reprimand of some kind seemed to be the thrust of the mission, but with the tantalizing hope that something worth studying was going to be there.

But introductions first.

She returned Cassius's nod and says "Regina Westin, how do you do?" before hearing Robban greet her and turning to him with a grin. "Robbie! It's nice to see you! The priesthood suits you. And my studies have gone on quite well." she said, before leaning down to speak quietly, as if sharing a secret. "I've even learned some magic suitable for combat! Isn't that exciting?"

Keeping an ear out for his reply she turns to the rest of the group, greeting Syrel the same as Cassius and then turning to Sabir. "It's nice to see you again Sir Sabir. I hope you weren't treated too terribly at the Gala. Fathers and older brothers can be such a bother can't they?" she said to him, referring to the interest her little sister and her peers had shown in him, and the not exactly welcoming reaction it had generated. Regina was quite sympathetic being an odd duck herself.

Finally she turned to Josephine. "I would be happy to assist you with those ledgers my dear. And I advise strongly against reading and walking. I don't know how many times I've fallen or twisted and ankle doing it. And that was in a very well groomed park." Regina said to her with a smile.

9. - Top - End - #9

"Well Ms. Jophine I've always found my parents judgement to be accurate where names were concerned if you don't mind my addressing you as such."
    Cassius gives the young woman a chance turn back his direction, who would have thought Sabir would find someone who finds his unique features interesting in place of frightening? Good on him then, heritage be damned but Sabir had the makings of a fine knight and deserves to judged on his efforts rather than appearance.
    After another glance around the group Cassius finally notes that this is a rather large and diverse group for what Adalbert presented as a 'checkup' patrol. Hmmm, plenty of time to puzzle through that on the trip. Ah, yes, Syrel had asked for a word about the surrounding area.

"Certainly I can spare a moment to provide some details on the terrain of the region, but my travels have been rather extensive and I don't remember all of Karolinstadt's environs so we'd best keep our wits about us on the way to Lumberford. However I do recall that the path twists and turns to be impassable by carts, the river is a quick way back from the town but not suitable for traveling to it. It would seem to be somewhat mountainous as well, so long as we travel as one we should encounter little trouble."
    Cassius returns his attention toward Jophine,
    "That satchel was full of books yes? Do want a hand carrying them, they are rather heavy are they not?"
    Last edited by Samot079; 2017-07-31 at 05:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Robband can't help but chuckle at Regina's enthusiasm. "Goodness, combat magic! Well, in that case, woe betide the fiend foolish enough to cross your path! Although do make sure that you take care though. I should hate to have to be the one who had to explain to your brothers that you'd been spirited away by the creatures of the woods." Robband makes the comment in jest, but a look of worry swiftly flickers across his face. No, he certainly would not want to have to explain to one of the most powerful families in the land that Lady Regina had gone missing on his watch...

Shaking off the thought, Robband regains his composure only to find himself face to face with Sabir. Immediately the situation becomes awkward again, although Robband at least manages to say something to the knight this time. "Ah, Sir Sabir... I have heard of you, of course... It is certainly a most interesting situation that you... that is to say, it is after all not every day that... Robband trails off, desperately seeking some safe topic of conversation.

"I trust Lady Welvering is well?", he manages at last.
    Last edited by Slingsby; 2017-07-31 at 05:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Jophine Duskwallow
    Second level Bard

Jophine answers Cassius' inquiry. "No, they're fine. Fine. It's just books. And an envelope." Jo adjusts the satchel on her shoulder again, trying to keep it from digging in to her clavicle. Then pulls the strap forward to adjust the weight. Finally, she shifts it over to the other shoulder. She thinks for a few moments. She looks down at the satchel. It was hanging just barely above the ground, thanks mostly to her 5' 4" stature. "Well," she amends her previous statement. "I wouldn't want to drag it in the dirt, you know. It's not 'cuz it's heavy at all. Right?"
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-07-31 at 06:12 PM.

Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Cassius cannot keep a wry grin off his face at Jophine's antics but understands (at least he thinks he does) that such acting comes from not wanting to be seen as weak in the eyes of others. Cassius withdraws his outstretched hand and adjusts the straps on his own gear before continuing in a quieter tone to avoid drawing too much attention from the rest of the group.
    "I'll not force you to relinquish what was given to you to carry, just don't be afraid to request help if you require it. In my travels I have found that there are few burdens too heavy to not be shared with comrades."
    Turning back toward the group as a whole Cassius takes stock of those gathered, Robbard the Priest, Sabir the Knight, Regina the Noble, Syrel the Old Man, Jophine or Jo.... or Joph, whichever she prefers as the Chronicler. With luck whatever trials Lumberford faces are more mundane then otherwordly but time would tell. With one last look at the spires of Karolinstadt and a whispered blessing of welfare for his family far away, Cassius turns toward the road to Lumberford.
    "Our path looks to be a long one, shall we continue our small talk on the road? If no one has any objections I believe it prudent to begin our hike before the sun gets too high in the sky."
    Cassius straightens and does a last few stretches, making sure his blade and shield are close to hand if he needs them though he hopes the trail proves quiet enough he won't need them.

Last edited by Samot079; 2017-07-31 at 09:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Fishybugs View Post
    "Well, I was hoping to get started on my own journal, but I can work through these on our way as well. It'll be tough to walk and read at the same time, but as long as...oh! You mean like...when we camp and stuff, right? I've read about making camp, and I think I knew a few places along the path that will make for great campsites. Unfortunately, three of them are all within a half-hour walk of each other, so I'm not sure that those will be as useful."
    Syrel raises his hands in conciliation.

"Don't let my request impede your real work." Shrugging, he shoots her a grin, "I'm hardly in a position to be giving orders. Just been around the block a few times. You've got yourself some unique proclivities, and I can see you getting some real use out of them once you've got some experience under your belt."

Turning away from Jophine, Syrel catches the strange, ethereal eyes of the fey-touched knight on him. Not letting his smile slip, he deftly avoids eye contact, a skill he's spent many years perfecting.

He finds himself grateful when Cassius replies to his earlier inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by Samot079 View Post
    "Certainly I can spare a moment to provide some details on the terrain of the region, but my travels have been rather extensive and I don't remember all of Karolinstadt's environs so we'd best keep our wits about us on the way to Lumberford. However I do recall that the path twists and turns to be impassable by carts, the river is a quick way back from the town but not suitable for traveling to it. It would seem to be somewhat mountainous as well, so long as we travel as one we should encounter little trouble."
    Nodding thoughtfully at the report, Syrel claps the younger fighter on the shoulder, "I'll be glad to have you along, regardless. Reckon that yours is just the knowledge what we need to keep everyone safe.

After spending a few minutes adjusting his gear and tightening straps, Syrel eases into the background, enjoying listening to the interplay of the group and taking stock of his options in dealing with each of them. It is not the man of the cloth, Robband, who disturbs him most, which would be sensible, but that antlered kid with the royal title.
    Last edited by Scripten; 2017-07-31 at 10:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Sabir laughs lightly and nods at Jophine. "If there are many names, one might be a favorite and I wouldn't want to use something just for simplicities' sake. Jophine it is then. And like Cassius said, do not hesitate to ask to share the burden. I am used to carrying things around." He shrugs lightly with one shoulder.

Smiling friendly at Regina, there is a high amount of confusion in his gaze, but trying to be nice, he answers "Lady Westin, it is a pleasure to travel with you. The Gala was..." not nice, not really, he had felt like a mouse in a cage of cats, "...perfectly decent. Fathers... and... brothers... uh, yes, indeed." What was it about fathers and older brothers? He didn't have a brother. At least none he had grown up with. And his own father was a wonderful man. Strange, it must be a royal thing.

Turning back to Robband Sabir brightens tentatively, one hand scratching the skin behind his ear. Men of the faith are always... peculiar at best around him. It is an effort at least, right? "Oh, her health is perfectly fine, stubborn like a mule, that one." Realizing how offensive that must come across, Sabir hastily corrects his course. "I mean, not that she is one, it's just... she's very... stubborn and healthy and... ehm... Lady Welvering is quite well," he just ends simply, deflating again. "Thank you for asking." By the roots of trees, the faithful made him nervous.

Ready to walk whenever, he settles beside the group on the other end from Cassius to create a protective cone around those they were to protect, glancing around and not shy to spare a smile to anyone who turns his way.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Jophine Duskwallow
    Second level Bard

Jophine responds to Syrel, "No, no. Really. I do think we should read the books," she says, patting the stupidly heavy books in the satchel. What was that paper made out of anyway? "You know...be ready for whatever situation is going on in Lumberford. I once read about an Inquisitor who preferred to go in without preparing, thinking that it would leave his mind more open to the situation." Her tone slows and saddens just a little. "He ended up with an open mind, all right. Opened by an axe. I don't mind the reading, especially since there may be something that helps us." Jophine shifts the satchel back to her left shoulder and brings her right shoulder up to her cheek, stretching her shoulder muscles to relieve the pain.

Unique proclivities, Jo wonders to herself. What is that supposed to mean? I'm no different than anyone else out here. Her eyes fall once again upon Sabir's interesting horns. Mostly.

Jophine nods her head at Sabir's offer to carry her satchel. "Thank you. I...I think I'm okay. I'm used to carrying books. I spend a lot of time in the library. They only let you take so many out a time, though. It's not like I'm going to steal them. I've always brought them back. You have to check them out, so they always know who has them. I wonder," she says thoughtfully. "How many books are there? Do you think they've ever been counted? Maybe I should recommend that get done when we return.

Jophine pulls out her mini-journal (one of three), and uses a small piece of writing charcoal to make a note in her journal, causing the satchel to slip and fall to the ground. She frowns at the satchel as if it is misbehaving, but finishes her note in the journal prior to packing everything back up and heaving the satchel back up on to her left shoulder. "There. Now I won't forget. It could be important. If only there's a way to know how many books are in the world...we could compare against how many we have and see if we have every book. That's brilliant, right?" At this point, Jophine isn't even certain who she's talking to anymore. Mostly herself.

She shifts the satchel back to her right shoulder, wishing the journey was over already. "Five days?" She walks over to Sabir. "I'll take you up on that offer, Sir Sabir," she says as she offers the satchel to the knight. "You know. Just...just for a bit."

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Regina give Robband a pat on the shoulder ”I wouldn’t worry too much about that Robband. I can take care of myself. And we’re going to a logging town not the beating black heart of faerie country.” she said, probably sounding a little less reassuring than she had meant.

She then turned to Sabir and give a little giggle at his extremely charitable description of the Gala. ”Perfectly decent? Well it’s nice of you to say so. I’ll make sure to give my father a glowing impression of your character next time my sister’s eye wanders over you.” she says and then watches as he stumbles over his report of Lady Welvering’s health and giggled again, walking next to him and nudging him with her elbow. “Don’t worry Sir Sabir. Robbie and I won’t mention any resemblance between Lady Welvering and a mule you may have mentioned, as accurate as it may be.” she said and gave the knight a wink.

Regina turned and glanced about an looked back to her conversational partners. ”It looks like our companions are just about ready to go, we should be as well.” she said. She gave the straps on her pack a couple of quick tugs to make sure they were tight and then walked up to Cassius and said, ”You are most assuredly correct. I am ready to go when you are.

17. - Top - End - #17

The Westlichwald

Having thoroughly checked your belongings and made your necessary introductions, the six of you set out for Lumberford. Upon Jophine's recommendation, you head south-west until you hit the Holzenfluss, the massive river travelling from Lumberford to Karolinstadt. Many small settlements are built on various rivers that all join up with the Holzenfluss, and it's through this river that Karolinstadt receives wood and other important supplies. Travelling along this river will lead you in the right direction until it's time to follow the Lumberford River right to the village itself. A few barges pass by you as you walk along the riverbed, most carrying lumber while a few contain heaps of brightly coloured flowers. The rafts all vary in sizes, each carrying different flags or icons in addition to Heiligastian symbols. The forest, save for the rushing river, is supremely quiet. Beside for some glittering silver fish in the river and the occasional raven or crow, you spot little wildlife as you travel.

Just before noon, something catches Robband's trained eyes. A few long troughs carve through the mud on the other side of the Holzenfluss. They travel between thick bushes to the riverbed, suggesting something (or multiple somethings) has been either dragged into or pulled from the water at this random stretch of the Holzenfluss. The current is strong, but the river here is shallow enough to wade through with little issue as long as one moves slowly.
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2017-08-02 at 07:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Curious...", Robband remarks, as he gazes across the river.

"We are not, I suppose, near any villages or other settlements at present?", he says aloud, addressing the party as a whole, "Only it appears that somebody has been landing rafts or something similar upon the far bank."

19. - Top - End - #19

Syrel pauses in his tracks, slowly scanning the forest in all directions, looking for signs of civilization.

"Can't say I know where the nearest town might be, but this spot doesn't strike me as the most reputable raft landing. Suppose someone might be sending their own goods from here or they might be intercepting others' barges..." He thinks for a moment, speaking almost to himself, "But who steals trees in a forest?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Jophine Duskwallow
    Second level Bard

After just a few hours, Jophine had already walked further than she ever had walked a one time. Thankfully, the Commission had supplied some good quality boots. "It's weird. You know, my feet don't even hurt at all. Yet. I'll bet by the time we're camping tonight....we are going to camp at night, right? I don't think I could walk straight there. Well, none of us can walk [I][straight/I] there. We kind of have to follow the path..." Her chatter continues on throughout the morning as she points out local flora and fauna to anyone polite enough to listen, as well as tidbits of history about the surrounding area.

When they stumble upon their strange finding, Jo finally stops talking. Her eyes narrow in thought as she analyzes the scene. "Smugglers?" she mumbles to herself. "We're hours away from any village, but this is one of the last areas where the barges will pass through. "

Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-08-02 at 09:37 AM.

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Cassius walks near the head of the group as they set forth upon Jophine's suggested path. Nothing seems out of place, the sounds of the river gurgling along offers some comforting background and running commentary from Jo reminds Cassius of his family back home during a feastday. And yet the forest itself feels too quiet, something is amiss. When group comes to the odd divets and the others note their observations Cassius rests his hand on his sword scabbard and checks for footprints or other signs to confirm his suspicions.
    "This bend was indeed used by smugglers and bandits but the Protectors broke up the ring a while ago and nothing has been reported since. We'd best keep an eye out, it is unlikely their hideout is far from here and desperate men are difficult to negotiate with."
    Cassius rubs at his jaw, his face giving away that he is deep in thought. After a minute or two he continues,
    "I do not like what their restarting their practice mere hours from the city entails, there are no settlements in the area so it would be difficult to earn anything from stolen goods by my thinking. If we can locate some other tracks and determine where they've made camp we can see if we can put a stop to this, otherwise we can return later with additional aid."

22. - Top - End - #22

No evidence of tracks on your side of the river can be seen, though you assume that they might be present at the other side of the river (likely next to where the dragging occurred).

23. - Top - End - #23

"Cassius, you said the Protectors in this region had bust a smuggling ring here. Do you happen to know what it was they were smuggling or where they'd holed up? May well be that our potential new band of ruffians have taken up shop in the same place."

Pulling from the weird power within, Syrel cautiously approaches the water's edge, ready to defend himself and his comrades at the first sign of ambush. It's not likely that the hypothetical smugglers have staked out the area and he doubts they'd leave a guard, but preparing for the worst is a habit that's saved many a skin before. He inspects the area, looking for bluffs, large rocks or plants, or any other form of concealment large enough for a man as well as signs of a bridge or other crossing.

"If it weren't for the time constraint, I'd say we could plan a stakeout right here. As it is, I agree, we should look for tracks and come back if we can't find their camp in the next hour or so."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    - Readying an Eldritch Blast
    - Inspecting the area across the water, but not crossing just yet
    - Also inspecting for signs of the path, whether the trail goes through the water or if there was at one time a bridge

DM Question:
    - How wide is the river at this point?

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Scripten View Post
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    - Readying an Eldritch Blast
    - Inspecting the area across the water, but not crossing just yet
    - Also inspecting for signs of the path, whether the trail goes through the water or if there was at one time a bridge

DM Question:
    - How wide is the river at this point?
    There's no path per se; land travel along the river is very infrequent. People typically travel on the side of the river that results in the fewest crossings. There is no sign of a bridge at this particular crossing; any such bridges would have to be tall so as to let barges through and so they are few and far between.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Make an investigation roll on the OOC thread.

The river is 20 feet wide, meaning that one cannot cross it in one round (difficult terrain).
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2017-08-02 at 11:37 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Jophine Duskwallow
    Second level Bard

Jophine looks across the river, measuring the distance between this side and that. Her boots were certainly waterproof, but what would happen when the water level exceeded the level of her boots, she would be soaked. She hated soggy boots. I wonder if they make thigh-high traveling boots... she thinks to herself as she continues to assess the group's new problem. "So who wants to cross and check that out?"

Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Removing his backpack, Cassius sets it down the riverbank: No sense getting it wet, he muses to himself:Rifling through it briefly he removes some rope and his grappling hook and with practiced ease ties the two together. He then hunts for a tree close to the riverside that looks sturdy and secures one end of the rope to it.
    "I will wade across and anchor the hook as a guideline for any who wish to follow, I would suggest one or two us remain on this side of the river however to give some cover to those crossing."He looks to Regina."Ms. Westin, I believe I overheard you mention you were a student of magic? Will you keep an eye on the treeline as I ford the river?
    Facing back toward the river he readies his shield in one hand and grips the lengths of rope in the other and begins wading, the current dragging at his armor slow his pace but barring unforseen circumstance he makes steady progress.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

This whole hiking with your own gear thing was not agreeing with Regina quite as well as she had hoped, as anyone who looked back to see her struggling to keep up could tell. She didn't complain, to whine would be unseemly and she certainly didn't want it getting back to her father that she had complained the entire time. She was Going Out On Adventures and Making Her Own Way, and even if she wasn't having a good time right now she wasn't about to spoil it for the future. Still, it was a relief when everyone stopped to look at...whatever it was as it gave Regina a chance to take a big swing of her waterskin and a couple of deep breaths before glancing around to see what everyone was talking about.

Having had a drink and a chance to catch her breath she looked and finally saw the odd markings on the other side of the river. She hears Syrel ask who steals trees in a forest and muses on the question before saying, "Someone who doesn't have an axe." to nobody, because he has already gone ahead.

After a moment of consideration and remembering what she has read about the area she concludes 2 things: 1) The others are of course correct that it bears looking into and 2) That there is no point in anyone getting wet if they don't have to.

"Mister Shaw I can do much better than that." she says, placing her hand upon Cassius's shoulder to stop him before he gets more than his boots wet. "If you will pause a moment let me see if I can't spare you the effort."

Taking a step back Regina holds her arm out at a crook like a falconer and says in a crisp clear voice Venio Uwilla causing a small brown owl to appear on her arm. She smiled at it and scratches its head and asks it Did you have a nice nap Uwilla? I have a little something for you to do. she says. The woman and bird stare at each other for a minute as Regina relays the particulars of the situation and then Uwilla flies off to search the other side of the river. She turns back to Cassius. Let's see what Uwilla can find before we go do something rash.

Spoiler
    Show

Bringing my familiar out of her pocket and sending her to search. She has +3 and advantage on sight based rolls.

28. - Top - End - #28

Syrel notices that based on the reeds being flattened against the ground along the riverbed, away from the water, it's likely that something was dragged out of the river rather than into it. Turning his attention to the trees on his own side of the river, Syrel can also see that several grooves of varying heights and depths have been notched into a large and sturdy tree, perhaps to make it easier to attach rope or a net. The bark in some of these grooves is noticeably scraped up, while the bark on the pristine grooves seems to be in perfect condition.

Regina, briefly looking through the owl's senses, sees that there are four or so sets of footprints in the mud, two sets on each side of the troughs. The troughs lead directly to the bushes. Within the bushes, Uwilla sees an 8ft. by 8ft. barge, similar to those that have been travelling past throughout the day. Unlike other barges, a burlap tarp lies over the goods, kept in place with nails, obscuring and/or protecting its contents. There looks to be several nails missing, which Uwilla notices glinting faintly in the mud. Beyond the embankment, the ground transitions from mud to standard soil and tree roots. Therefore no more footprints can be seen.

Spoiler: OOC: for everyone
    Show
    Once again assuming people share relevant information with the party unless it's something that they might like to keep secret. Just to keep things flowing and to cut down on the number of posts required.
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2017-08-02 at 01:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

At Regina's answer Cassius stops just short of the water.
    Well, the current would have been trying. He thought as he returned from rivers edge to see the owl wing across.

"Can you determine whether the tracks are human or not Regina? And Syrel is correct, we are on a timeline. I would prefer to settle this matter of river raiders now as tracking them later could prove more difficult, or we continue to Lumberford and report on the issue there. What does everyone else think?"
    Last edited by Samot079; 2017-08-02 at 02:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

After staring off into space for a while as she shares her sight with Uwilla, Regina relays the information she learns with her companions. "I will admit that I hoped to find nothing, but it appears that we will need to get wet if we wish to resolve this. Those look like boot prints to me so I suspect we have river pirates. she said.

At Cassius posed the question Regina was already sending Uwille back up to keep her eyes peeled for any danger. "I will defer to you opinion, Mr. Shaw. If you believe this to be a problem we are in position to solve than I am all for it." she said, hoping she sounded more confidant than she was. Regina didn't really want to get soaking wet chasing after some smelly river pirates but it was what she'd signed up for isn't it? If she had wanted to be safe and dry she would have stayed home. "So if you wish to cross, I will keep an eye on your treeline and set anyone who wishes to do you ill on fire."